Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

prefect posted:

yeah, that's what my macbook does; i was hoping that i could get better performance by forcing it to use 5ghz, but apparently i need more power in my router

yeah don't do that

the point of 5ghz is it doesn't carry super-well so your neighbors' poo poo doesn't drown yours out

if you start loving withr adios to amek your life better but with substantial negative externalities you're a piece of poo poo and you should go to radio jail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

raruler posted:

I would like to pay someone to be the relay for business e-mails, because gently caress having to deal with people in charge of mail systems.

I can find places that will let you use their servers for "transactional" messages and what not. I do not want to send thousands of newsletters to people, this is regular old e-mail to regular old people.

I don't need to filter incoming mail, I just need to throw a line into postfix for a smart_relay and wash my hands of this poo poo.

is this email one human sends to another? use an email provider

is this email a computer sends to one human at a time? that's "transactional," and mandrill by mailchimp works well

is this email a computer or an rear end in a top hat sends to a shitload of humans at once? that's "campaign," and mailchimp works well

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

raruler posted:

yeah I need the first

I have found http://www.smtp2go.com in my searches since posting, and I think that will do what I need

i used to use pobox

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

bobbilljim posted:

is 128mb ram going to be too little?

probably

don't rent a server unless it's generating revenue

put your static files on s3 because it's stupid cheap, and put your dumb apps that nobody will use on heroku because it's free

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

i didn't know if there was some wacky powered antenna i could buy and tap it into the terminal on the router, or something i could place on the 2nd floor that would send out a 5ghz signal while not having to switch SSIDs and stuff

yeah it's called get a second AP or a router set to AP mode, give it the same SSID and password

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ty; it's a good idea and i could do that then the 5ghz signal would be poor on the first floor/basement/backyard tho. thank you though :shobon:

it's 2.4ghz only :\

haha i had no idea that works (the "set the same SSID and password" thing)

is there a recommended AP around here? especially one that won't bottleneck this freakin $220 router?

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

less compression artifacts, i was typing fast

um, what?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/#ac

quote:

Wait, what’s wireless-ac?

Let’s step back for a second. Wireless-ac, or 802.11ac, is the latest version of the Wi-Fi specification. It’s much faster than wireless-n, the previous standard. Although you can use older devices with a wireless-ac router, to see any speed increase your devices have to be wireless-ac compatible.

Most modern routers can run wireless networks on both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. Wireless-ac runs on the 5 GHz band, which allows it to use more wireless channels for higher-speed connections. The 5 GHz band is also used for 802.11n, while the 2.4 GHz band can run in wireless-n mode or a more common mixed mode for compatibility with older devices. If a router or gadget only supports one band, it’s 2.4 GHz; only dual-band wireless-n and -ac devices can connect to the 5GHz band.

The 5 GHz band is less crowded than the 2.4 GHz band, which is also used by Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, and your neighbor’s router…
The 5 GHz band is less crowded than the 2.4 GHz band, which is also used by Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, and your neighbor’s router (to name a few). The 2.4 GHz band is more prone to wireless interference, which can disrupt your connections and kill your speeds. However, the 5 GHz band can deliver a shorter working range than the 2.4 GHz band.
Wireless-n and wireless-ac routers also support multiple spatial streams (data streams) on each band. Using a technology called MIMO, wireless-n and -ac devices can combine these spatial streams to get faster data rates—as long as both the router and the device each support the same number of streams.

Our pick, the Netgear R6250, supports two streams on the 2.4 GHz band and three on the 5 GHz band. Each wireless-n data stream on the 2.4 GHz band has a theoretical top rate of 150 megabits per second,11 and each wireless-ac data stream on the 5 GHz band has a theoretical maximum of 433 Mbps. That gives the router a total maximum Wi-Fi speed of 300 Mbps for wireless-n and 1.3 Gbps for wireless-ac — over four times faster.

The late-2013 MacBook Pro is one of the few devices with three-stream wireless-ac connectivity built in. Most wireless-ac laptops (like the MacBook Air) have two-stream Wi-Fi, as does the Samsung Galaxy S5. Many phones have one-stream wireless-ac, like the HTC One (both last year’s and this year’s) and Samsung Galaxy S4. There’s no iPhone on that list; wireless-ac connectivity is expected on the iPhone 6.

Even one- and two-stream wireless-ac devices are much faster when connected to the 5 GHz band on a wireless-ac router than when connected to a 2.4 GHz or 5GHz wireless-n router.

Routers are split into marketing categories based on the combined maximum bandwidth of the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, even though you can’t connect one device to both bands. For example, the Netgear R6250 is an AC1600 router (300 Mbps maximum for wireless-n plus 1.3 Gbps for wireless-ac equals 1,600). Other common categories are AC1200 (two -n streams, two -ac streams), AC1750 (three and three), and AC1900 (four and three).

what wifi clients do you have and what the gently caress are you doing with your wifi

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Panty Saluter posted:

thats kinda cool seems like it doesnt jitter as much eaither but idk

rf is crazy

zap! is gettin' a masters in that poo poo and it's mind-boggling

makes me appreciate academic cs, what with its relatively simple bounded semilattices and cap theorem

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i don't know what this means, my knowledge of computers is limited to google image searching "wifi channel chart"

i think it means leave it on "auto" and find something else to worry about

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bloody posted:

i changed the username/pass for my router than promplty forgoty it so homefiluly my esettings were gouud

if you need back in just hard reset it

if you set up so many special snowflake options that you can't fix them all, you fucrkd up

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Silver Alicorn posted:

hello YOSPOS, just wanted to give a lil update re: my high availability storage project

I like glusterFS, a lot, I think it's the best solution. unfortunately citrix doesn't think the same so xenserver doesn't support it for what I need. the industry is using DRBD as a backing store for most purposes anyway, and it's directly supported by corosync, so i started barking up that tree again

short version: gently caress centos

longer version: centos seems to work just fine with DRBD. at first. you can make a virtual disk manually and test it out and everything works fine. then you set up corosync and make an iscsi target and it works fine. then ou try shutting down one of the machines and it fails over just fine. then you start the machine back up and it can't access the partition you set up for DRBD anymore. wtf!!! a lot of searching and apparently it's some kind of race condition in the startup scripts, but nobody's offering any tips to fix.

so, after trying out a lot of different configuration crap & following guides I basically figured out how to customize the configuration on my own and got it all working on debian. not only does it work right but debian vastly outperforms centos when syncing the data over the network. so yeah. there's a bit of a peculiarity with debian not having a startup script for tgtd, but you can just add it to rc.local and bob's your uncle.

holy poo poo it took me a while to figure out. might actually work better in centos 7 but I couldn't find all the requisite parts for drbd/corosync because EPEL/elrepo havne't caught up yet. idk. I try to use centos because it's the "enterprise" thing to do but debian just works??

install gentoo

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE posted:

whats the best way to set up a vpn in azure?

or something i need to use my $60/mo credits somehow.

if the credits don't expire replace imgur forever with azure blob storage

http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/storage/

i host a shitload of stuff on s3 for like 25¢/month and if azure is remotely competitive welp

edit:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

prefect posted:

are there any decent applications that run on windows?

buy a mac

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

the most beautiful fuckup was someone forwading an "incredibly rude" message. The whole thing broke and their reply to it got eaten, and everyone just saw the original "verbose" message attributed to the new sender. :newlol:

lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Leck posted:

http://www.scriptjunkie.us/2014/09/exploiting-ammyy-admin-developing-an-0day/ (almost positive this came from the security thread, because god knows where else i would have seen it)

caveat: if you're only just now reading it you're not leet enough to do it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Corla Plankun posted:

how much computing power do i need to virtualize a hadoop cluster?

i don't care about tflops or anything, i just want to do it as a learning experience because i am sick of not having hadoop on my resume

my school spoiled me with a matlab instance with 128gb of ram so i never had to deal with cluster computing but as it turns out industry people care deeply about the 'doop

edit: the context for this is i am thinking about building a new PC and this might be a target if it is reasonably attainable

you can probably run a single node locally, or even if you can't, there's probably a way to spool up a multi-node test "cluster" on one machine without v420n

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

enotnert posted:

ugh, my work has decided to go with ANY CMS PACKAGE EVER for its CMS. This poo poo is such trash.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sniep posted:

if you are having computer problems you probably should get this since this is designed to fix up computer problems from the inside out, like a vitamin

do they have a separate HERS module for non-technical women and children?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Swolegoat posted:

what r some tite settings for my 66u?

if you enable wifi you can post from the pooper

j/k that's what you already do

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

you can use the TNS_ADMIN variable to point to a network location for your tnsnames file and its the only sane way to handle it honestly but lmbo if he didn't put it on its own share and set it to be always available offline or on a DFS share

can you use some kind of oracle jank to read the connection string from a zookeeper server or a script that asks zk or something that can be made reliable and consistent between locations?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Panty Saluter posted:

if u use chrome you get the full rainbow of resolution in mp4 and 60 fps. im sure there's a technical reason for it, not anything like trying to strongarm you into using their dumb gay babby browser

lol as if

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

PS. Love the cabin posted:

whenever i try to cut a section out of an image using gimp and re-paste it as a new layer it leaves an ugly transparent checkerboard pattern around the cut
whats up with that?

upgrade your technique

copy the rough rectangular section out and paste it as a new layer

put what you want in between the two layers

make a layer mask on the top layer to hide what you don't need, and you can do this with the really good drawing tools instead of the relatively poo poo selection editing tools

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Corla Plankun posted:

probably because you're granny lassoing instead of copy/masking like you should

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

kalstrams posted:

he made amazingly hilarious furry joke (LMAO!11!11) about perfectly fine fur on an anime dog tits lady

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

my computer becomes a slow piece of poo poo when transferring a lot of data to one disk or between disks

find more useful things to do with computers than copying your animes between drives

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Apart from my bastard plan to make the 2.4ghz spectrum unusable with cordless phones, forcing my scumbag neighbors to run cables to their rokus and the condo board to address wireless networking - what else can I do..

instead of purposely generating illegal interference, maybe try the 5ghz spectrum

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Completely legal to use 12 phones inside your own home as long as they comply with tx power maximums. Its my spectrum and I can use it however I want.

intent matters, and the em spectrum is a public resource

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Forums Terrorist posted:

hey thread what's the best ereader

kindle, if you're only ever going to read prose

ipad air 2 otherwise

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

depends on the publisher
some short story in a collection nmn recommended had weird tyopgraphy and kindle.ipa just rendered images of the pages

probably the least worst option

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Forums Terrorist posted:

if i'm going to spend 200 of your earth dollars on an ereader, esp. for pdfs, i may as well sack up and get an ipad

yeah i have an old second gen kindle i got used and also the newest and best tablet, the iPad Air 2

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

SYSV Fanfic posted:

It logs in and auto starts the paint app? You can't even hit the windows key to go back to the win 8 start menu (screen)?

can't you click that "user" thing in the top right

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

i thought about asking this in the radio thread but that seems to be mostly hams so i'll try here:

I got an atsc tv tuner but when I do a channel scan with that, it doesn't pick up any stations. it's just the dinky little default antenna, so is it more likely that I'm not picking anything up because I live in a rural area or is it more likely that something is misconfigured and the software isn't communicating with the device properly? (I don't know much about the range of atsc tv signals.)

check out antenna web and see what direction and distance the local stations are

you might need a better antenna too

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hmm this is depressing

is 26 miles too much for a little 6-inch antenna?

maybe

I had an indoor amplified antenna at my old place and most of these were iffy

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hmm :geno:

any antenna recommendations? :angel:

Shaggar posted:

get a big one

see if the wirecutter recommends any, but yeah bigger and higher is better as long as lightning doesn't strike it and break all your poo poo

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

we just finished transitioning to digital broadcasting less than six years ago in order to reclaim spectrum and you already want to shutter tv broadcast entirely?

shaggar is probably red hot with anger that the only live TV I watch is soccer on a Spanish-language channel OTA

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

yo is chromecast any good for like business use, powerpoints etc

was going to pick up a longass hdmi cable for our office but was thinking of getting chromecast instead, but not if its gonna be too complicated for my 50 yr old boss to use

chomecast only works if you use google docs, and hyou shouldn't because it's awful

if you use good computers, an apple tv (now only $70) will be pretty easy 'cause you can just enable airplay to it from the menu bar

an hdmi cable will be the easiest if your idiot boss cheaped out and didn't buy macs though

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Peanut and the Gang posted:

How do I fork a github repo to a private github?
Pretty much want to fork github.com/blah -> github.mywork.com/blah

There's no button on the web ui to let me do this!

clone it locally then create a new repo in your work's github organization

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Peanut and the Gang posted:

Thanks, I had no clue where to start. I did some "git remote seturl origin" command too and then it worked.

i usually keep multiple remotes around, one for pulling from upstream, one for the private copy to push to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

graph posted:

lol @ controlling a media center device with a loving video game controller

lmao

yeah thats normal

either a vidcon controller or some massive star trek comcast cable box remote

perfection: the remote control