Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I'm close to finishing my bachelor's in IT from an accredited college with a concentration in security. I wanna do pen test/security auditing stuff for a living. Should I go on to graduate school, find a job, try to get sec certs, none of these, some of these, or all of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

All. At the same time.

Ah well fook. Is it hard to grab an entry level position doing security stuff?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

skipdogg posted:

You sure you want to do this? It's not as sexy or glamorous as most people think it is. What sort of IT background do you have?

I was the only dude doing IT at a small size engineering company, fixing phones, computers, printers, internet that sort of thing for awhile.

I have no illusions that I'll be supreme hacker man or what ever I just want a comfy job that'll pay me to basically do stuff I do for fun anyway (break into my home lab and play war games) and maybe do some good?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You're just watching poo poo, writing, watching, writing, and attending meetings every minute in between so you can put your foot down when somebody suggests something stupid as gently caress.

And sleeping on thousand dollar bills.

College, except I get paid AND I get to have an opinion!?!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is true for some degrees, not true for others. Having a bachelors in an applicable field absolutely will help your career if you work in that field.

He's talking about Masters Degrees.

Thanks for ya'lls hot takes though, I guess I'll skip my Masters for now and just work on getting some certs and hired some where.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 2, 2017

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

nullfunction posted:

I'll hire someone with a couple years of experience who can demonstrate their drive by their accomplishments over a fresh graduate with a high GPA and honors or whatever that hasn't done anything yet. Even if you're doing nothing more than setting up a lab and playing with some toy projects, you're still doing more than a lot of people bother to do.

So how do you show home lab work? Do you keep it as a portfolio with a bunch of pages along the lines of "Here was my target machine, here was my attacking machine, I used a port scanner and found these ports open, so I exploited it by using "portowner3k" and eventually escalated myself to root, this could have been prevented by doing x,y, and z"?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You write an incident / breach report as if you were a contracted pen-tester or internal infosec staff, showing all of the information you mentioned in a professional manner. Then you bring it to an interview and offer it as an example of your work.

Cool thanks, I'm gonna start doing this when I mess around with my home lab.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

This has probably been answered a couple of times in the last 1128 pages, but what's the deal with dudes posting jobs on linkedin as "internship/entry level IT DRONE" and then requiring poo poo like

Min Requirements:
BS/MS IT/CS/CSGO/BBQ
10+ Years experience in enterprise enviroment
Net+/CCNA Required

?

Are they just scatter shotting the job as all levels and hoping the 10 year amazon Net Admin guy looking to jump ship decided to look at internships?

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 26, 2018

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I got hired as the only IT dude for a small financial place. I have never been lord and master of someone elses network, anyone got pro tips and or advice on taking over a network from someone? I assume first things are to map the network, find all the passwords, and delete my predecessors accounts and change admin passwords.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

Is it an amicable takeover?

As far as I can tell.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Make some token changes for easy creditability that you're security focused.

Nice idea.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I'm on my first IT job and got handed a program written in basic, which has a time stamp of May 1987 in the program, and was asked to work on it a bit to make sure its compatible with all of their machines and to add some stuff to it. I politely asked if I could just rewrite it in Java or C++, the program itself is a very simple take in a txt file and dump out reports from said text files, then it would work on all the machines in the office.

Now I'm sitting here parsing 900 lines of code with no comment lines, while learning an archaic coding language, and the guy who developed it is either dead or retired in florida. Is this a common thing?

edit: and as far as I can tell there are entire chunks of code that do absolutely nothing :argh:.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 5, 2018

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

jaegerx posted:

That’s awesome. gently caress anyone that says running basic in 2018 is wrong. Goto 10.

10 Open VisualStudio.exe
20 goodbye

:colbert:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

On todays agenda, i get to learn to drill a hole through a very nice desk because my boss doesnt believe in long cables and refuses to pay for them and says theyll look messy.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I'm getting the feeling that IT is long periods of monkeying around on networks and computers with short breaks of "drat it Jim I'm an IT dude, not [insert profession here]."

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Spent two hours yesterday explaining to a user that I can't fix a problem involving a server that our company doesn't own and isn't even in the same state and that I had contacted their company to fix the server and it's on them. :wtc:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This is your job! Can't you just make it work? I'm not gonna stay here till 4:00 I got to see my grandkids.

That was pretty much what was said yea.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The job I just got is part time, but they finally realized how cool it is to have IT staff after ten months of praying nothing breaks and not being able to do new poo poo. They're offering to move it up to a fullish time position.

Should I negotiate to switch from hourly to salary? I dunno which is better. On one hand OT is cool, but on the other I could go home early and get paid the same.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 11, 2018

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

What do I actually count as? I'm the only IT monkey in a small office, and I manage the tiny network, website, desktops, a backup server, and a little bit of R&D.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Spent the entire day trying to get verizon to make me the point of contact so I can do admin poo poo because a dude busted his phone while on vacation and needed his line transferred without having his sim card, and the verizon store guy said he needed admin approval.. So after hours of trying to get the guys who are the point of contact to tell verizon to add me we finally get that sorted. Come to find out the dude just had to go to a corporate verizon and theyd do it without any fuss. Call up my boss and come to fins out they did that three hours ago and forgot to call and tell me he fixed it :argh:

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 14, 2018

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Captain Ironblood posted:

Speaking of Lenovo, looking into buying a T480, fully loaded for ~$1500 thanks to the employee perks code and the memorial day sale. It's either that or a Dell XPS 15--I can't decide between the two, though the Dell will be more expensive.

My boss wanted me to pick out my workstation, and I gave him the option of t480, t460, and a couple of lower end lenovos just to see what he would pick.

He got me the 480 :getin:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Boss wants me to setup a cloud backup thing. Anyone got recommendations? We're a small company with probably less than a TB of data to backup and not a lot of call to perform restores.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I'm a 1099 network janitor that doesn't accrue benefits, but I'm in college and it pays way better than Starbucks. v:shobon:v

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

As a topic change, what are good interview questions to ask for a new position? Offer is pretty much sealed, but what are the sort of questions you ask, red flags y'all look for when switching positions?

"Do you still run anything in basic/cobol, and will I have to support it." :smithicide:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

looking into babies first IT job, do I need to get a certification first?

I'm curious about this as well. I got hired without certs, but I feel like I lucked sacked into this one, because I'm a year out of finishing my BS in IT. Are you just doomed to having to do call center work/geek squad/frys if you have no prior work experience, no certs, and no degree?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

How do you measure the effectiveness of an IT department though? If poo poo keeps breaking obviously youre loving up fixing it, and if poo poo doesnt break obviously we dont need you around here, please justify your paycheck.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

what about the guy who had to clean his coworker's blood out of all the computers after he committed suicide in the server room

..... well whats the best method for making sure blood doesnt gently caress your rack?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I will have finished with my IT Degree in December, and will have worked in this place for coming up on eight months by then. I low balled the crap outta myself so I could get a job immediately, due to loosing a grant and walking away from a job that I was fed up with. So I landed this cushy IT job where I pretty much look after a network that really doesn't need much except a tiny bit of attention here and there, and when I graduate I plan on asking for a pretty big raise and bennies, probably another 25% an hour, a week or so PTO, and Insurance. I am pretty much assuming I'm not gonna get that big of a bump and will probably walk away from this job.

So the question I had was does it matter how long I've held this post? By the time I ask for a raise I'll have been working here for eight months, will it look bad on my resume that I only worked a job for that long and peaced out? Will working x amount of months longer make my resume look better? I don't particularly mind working here, it's actually pretty cool sometimes and economically I'm alright, not great, but I'm not gonna starve and I'm decently comfortable so long as I don't have a tragic accident befall me.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 21, 2018

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

mattfl posted:

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but getting a degree in IT doesn't automatically mean you get a huge raise at your job.

True fact, but I can probably find something to put me into 35k/year with insurance in Atlanta. :shrug:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

mattfl posted:

OH! If you're not even at 35k yet, then yeah, degree should help that. Sorry!

No worries, I should have put the ball park of what I was making, which is close to 28k. My point was, the raise I'm gonna be asking for is gonna be considerable for me to stick around.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Depending on what youve accomplished in those 8 months along side your Bachelors you should be swinging for 60.

Ay mama, that's a spicy amount of dollars.

I haven't really done all that much, I think. I basically ran help desk for this company, printers, computers/software/network/server acting up, implemented a backup system with Azure, and did a bunch of compliance stuff so that my company's trade body doesn't yell at them.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 21, 2018

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

mattfl posted:

I do even less than that and make 85k, but I have to deal with doctors and nurses so I feel there's a trade-off there lol

Well, that's good to know I can get paid more for doing this cake job, just need to get my foot in the door somewhere else.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Vargatron posted:

Yeah $28k in ATL is super loving low. I couldn't imagine living off that, especially considering the $1500 a month studio apartments in places like Buckhead.

lol, I don't live in Buckhead. I just have no problem living in the Barrio, and as such rent is super low.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kashuno posted:

are you loving kidding me

What? Is this not entry level crap?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

adorai posted:

This has to be a troll. I would not have someone making $75k/year dealing with compliance.

Eh wasn't all that complicated, I didn't have to deal with making policies. Auditor just sent my boss a list of technical questions and boss passed it on to me, "Did you make sure your employees took our five minute bs cyber security test? Are all passwords at or beyond the standard in this manual? Do you have an offsite backup at this standard? Can you give us a list of mission critical devices and software on your network?" Stuff like that.

My predecessor handled policies and my boss copied and pasted his answers to "What to do in case of data loss? Who and how to contact in case of data theft?" and apparently was good enough.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 22, 2018

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kashuno posted:

you really should stop underselling yourself

Is there like a list out there of common tasks done by varying levels of IT dudes? I really have no idea what rates as complex in this field unless its something obvious like VDI creation work for large places or printer repair.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

How much should I push to upgrade the network and lovely legacy software? I told my boss all this crap has security holes and a lot of this softwares help files are lost to time or incompatible with current os' and he doesnt seem to care. I mean its sorta less work for me, but its not really tenable in the long term.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kashuno posted:

are you still getting paid warm piss? If so, none

Gotcha, now suppose I wasn't paid lovely for future reference? Do you just drop it and go I told ya so when something cant be put back together?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kashuno posted:

you aren't going to get rid of security risk or compatibility difficulty most of the time.

Sure, but when half of your company is currently running Win XP, Eudora 5(circa 2000), and Word Perfect suite 8(circa 1997), and the other half is on Win10, GSuite, and Office 365 and the manager wants to know why can't she open this complex excel sheet in loving Correl Quatro, or why Eudora 5 won't import outlook contacts correctly, it seems like a simpler and probably only solution would be to at least update to something made in the last ten years and has been supported for at least the last five.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Wibla posted:

What. The. gently caress.

That's an exaggeration, right? :ohdear:

:smithicide: I wish I could tell you that I just offhandedly thought of this software, but I wasn't even aware of half of this legacy stuff existing let alone still sorta kinda working before I had this job.

Internet Explorer posted:

Between this and the fact that they are paying you nothing, I'd make sure you find a new job sooner rather than later. That place is where tech and tech careers go to die.

Yea, I graduate in December, I'll probably be on the hunt sometime in November.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I was looking at our bill from AT&T, because as we've established in this thread previously I do everything for low pay, and noticed we where paying for both Fiber and DSL. The fiber line has all the traffic through it, and the DSL line has 0 traffic through it, and in fact, as I looked through the network closet I confirmed that in fact, the DSL wasn't connected to anything at all. When I told my boss we should probably cancel it to save a few bucks, I was told that that was our backup internet. So my thought process as to why this is kinda dumb was It's not hooked up to anything so it can't be a backup, unless my predecessor had actually hooked it up to the modem and switch, and in cases in which our fiber would be out, Backbone issue or building infrastructure issue the DSL would be out as well as the Fiber. Am I right in thinking the previous and If you had to actually have a backup internet connection, wouldn't you want at least another carrier handling it, if not a satellite or mobile hot spots to mitigate the aforementioned issues.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone got recommendations for OCR software?