Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm pretty clear on what a college is, and what a University is.

But what is University of Maryland College University?

UMUC is a school spun off of University of Maryland that panders to the military. They start classes every 6 weeks or so instead of having typical semesters. It's one of the more reputable online schools recommended to military people. (Which says a lot about the other schools)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

skipdogg posted:

We use Pleasant Pass, which is alright I guess. It does it's job. Look into Thycotic's Secret Server, I liked that product more when I demo'd it a couple of years ago.

We use an internally hosted secret server, and I have no complaints.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

I think we need someone who actually works in one of these industries(banking is just the one I could think of off the top of my head) to speak up. A quick google found this, but I think it might be less than reliable: https://www.efax.com.au/blog/5-businesses-that-rely-on-fax

E: Found this too, which seems relevant: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2083980/why-the-fax-still-lives-and-how-to-kill-it.html

I work for a giant online-only mortgage company, we get people faxing us stuff constantly. We just have an app set up to turn them to pdf and email to the recipient, because who the hell wants paper.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

The Nards Pan posted:

Do you accept e-signatures?

We do. You can get a mortgage without physically signing a piece of paper or meeting someone until your closing.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

pixaal posted:

What about the guy that only has a flip phone?

Duo has three options for 2fa. They'll send a push to your phone, send you a text with a 4 digit code, or actually call your number on file and have an automated voice read you a four digit code. It works pretty well for us, including the old dude with a motorola razr (no joke).

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I don't personally use it but my understanding is that IE's a valid choice at this point, no? Thought the 3 major players pretty much came down to personal preference now.

This assumes your enterprise isn't on IE6 for compatibility reasons.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Deino posted:

The closest thing we have is an Excel spreadsheet where we just record the important things we did over the course of the day. It can go multiple days without anybody adding anything.

And I'm so far removed from anything regarding our network that I wouldn't even know if it did have a problem. We haven't had a single new hire since I arrived. And the current users haven't complained. The only time I can remember anybody even going into our server closet was to make sure the ceiling hadn't collapsed after a particularly violent rainstorm, or to work on the phone lines (since they're still analog).

Depending on what part of metro Detroit, I might be able to point you to a few places. I walked into quicken with a little IT experience, but good people and presentation skills, and landed a pretty decent job that I'm constantly learning in.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Deino posted:

I applied to an IT position at Quicken just last week, along with a referral from a friend of mine in a different department, and I didn't even get a phone call. :(

I would appreciate any opportunity, though.

What did you apply for? HR is very slow sometimes. Hit me up in a pm or something I'd you want to take it out of the thread. My brother works for a pretty decent MSP in Ann arbor that I could recommend, if that's convenient.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Do any of you use Microsoft's LAPS in your environment? I'm looking at it and would like to get it implemented here. Looks pretty straightforward?

I wasn't in on the implementation, but it's pretty straightforward to use.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

psydude posted:

I don't understand how DevOps can work. We all know developers refuse to work after hours during maintenance windows.

My favorite thing is explaining to devs that yes, you can deploy during the day, but you'll need to call this senior VP and explain why you're special enough to need such an exception.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Paying for travel and accomodations for a job interview in the library field is virtually unheard of for anything lower than "You will be the person in charge of running this entire place."

This is probably the kicker. As much as I love libraries, there's not a lot of money in them at the moment. IT on the other hand, can print money for a successful MSP or something.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

That's on the high end for podunk midwest.

The worst thing is most places don't even list a salary so you end up wasting a bunch of time to find out they want to pay poo poo.

My company's operations center in Detroit is throwing 60-65k at people just to get them to work weekends. It's not even that hard of a job, like 90% of it is restarting windows services or app pools. I'm having a hard time finding new jobs in the area that will beat it on pay, seeing postings for sys admins with AWS certs and 3-5 years of experience for less than I'm making as a server janitor.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

GreenNight posted:

Anyone have an experience with this poo poo?

https://www.onbase.com/en/

Boss man is looking to implement it and hire someone to manage it.

If it's implemented properly, and has a decent team behind it, it's great. We use it, but we're so big we're running into scaling issues that the development team never foresaw.

JHVH-1 posted:

Verizon had people on call like that... like one team that was the windows service restarter. The guy had no idea about actual server performance or how the application worked when we had to call him one night.

We're a bit higher than that, kind of mid-level sys admins. We're weirdly handicapped in that we're not allowed to make changes on production systems, despite having access and knowledge.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

GreenNight posted:

Our plan is to give the company a shitload of money to implement it properly and then manage it until we hire someone.

Then hopefully you'll be great. We had to redo our DB schema for it last year because our docID tracking number hit the 32 bit integer cap, for an idea how high it'll scale before issues. Even then, everything still worked, we just had issues with new docs.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is it an experienced or entry level job?

There's no degree or formal experience requirements, as long as you know your way around windows server a little. I started as an intern with no degree or formal IT experience and transitioned to full-time in about 45 days. I admit that's kind of rare though. We typically hire people who are t1/2 helpdesk and looking to move up, or people from other technical fields who might not have a ton of IT knowledge, but show that they can learn.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Our security team does little more than yell at me about Windows patches, pass on spreadsheets from PCI audits, and forward security alert emails that they've subscribed to.

I don't know if there is a group of people in the IT field that I respect less.

Our security team approached our system engineers about disabling WinRM on all production servers, in the name of security. You can probably imagine how that went.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

KildarX posted:

I was the only dude doing IT at a small size engineering company, fixing phones, computers, printers, internet that sort of thing for awhile.

I have no illusions that I'll be supreme hacker man or what ever I just want a comfy job that'll pay me to basically do stuff I do for fun anyway (break into my home lab and play war games) and maybe do some good?

I hope you like combing through splunk logs!

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I have two examples I use for cloud, and if your business can't handle either of these scenarios in an on-prem infrastructure, cloud is probably going to be a big boondoggle. I would love peer review on these examples to help me not sound like an idiot while talking about cloud.

1. Weekend report
You have a weekly report that's done by accounting, you collect data all week long, and then some big server does the calculations on Saturday. It has to be done by Sunday. When the server was built, it was a six hour task, but now it's taking 12-15 hours even after upgrading hardware, but it's too expensive to have some megaserver sitting around doing nothing all week. Can you build an infrastructure where this server is turned off Monday through Friday, or even better, deleted on Sunday and recreated Friday evening? If so, cloud might be a more flexible option! If not, you're gonna be spending money 5 days a week for a server that does nothing.

2. Flexible storefront
You have a website that needs to be online 24/7 at some minimal capacity, from 4PM to 8PM it needs to have higher capacity, on Saturdays and Sundays it needs to have higher capacity, in November and December in needs higher capacity and any time there's a special sale, there needs to be additional capacity. Even better, can you design the infrastructure so that servers are created and deleted any time the response times get a bit slow? If so, cloud might be a great option, if not, have fun!

My giant ($10bil+ revenue a year) company is in the process of a "cloud migration" to AWS. Apparently our plan is to treat AWS like an ESXI host. No autoscaling, no health checks, no RDS, just pretending they're on-prem VMs.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Agrikk posted:

FWIW:

Be prepared for sticker shock. A 1:1 migration to AWS is going to be much more expensive on paper than your existing on-prem stuff. It’s only when you start moving to autoscaling and going serverless do you start really getting the savings.

Oh, they know exactly how much it's going to cost. We're a giant privately held financial company, owner said go to the cloud, so we go to the cloud. We just built a ~66k square foot data center in 2014 or so, as far as I can tell the execs/owner just love lighting money on fire.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

SamDabbers posted:

This is me IRL right now. I've had very few good work experiences in my career, but things are looking good for the future.

I'm moving to Detroit to be a mainframe janitor for Ford. They're going to train me (no real experience with mainframes) and every couple years rotate me to a different subgroup to learn about a different aspect of mainframe technology. I'm really stoked!

The salary and benefits in the offer exceeded my expectations. In fact, I expected to not receive an offer at all! Really good base figgies (especially for coming in as entry level requiring training), annual bonus, and 3 weeks vacation right out of the gate, as well as a generous relocation assistance package. I literally interviewed yesterday, and got an offer email this morning. I'm still processing all of this.

Congrats man. I live about 15 minutes from Ford HQ in Dearborn, there's lots of great areas to live near here. (Especially if you like middle eastern food.) Feel free to PM me if you have questions about the area.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Before my IT career I worked sales for a small online retailer. If you apologize to customers, they expect something out of you and the business. They smell the weakness and exploit it, and your entire day goes to poo poo because customers do not give a gently caress about you if they can get free stuff.

Turns out coworkers and bosses are the exact same way. So if you never apologize, they can't exploit you (as much) and you come out sounding very authoritative. People tend to respond respectingly to those with authority.

Over time you build this image that you're an expert, your time is valuable, and that they shouldn't bother you with petty poo poo because you're busy. Even if you have no loving clue what you're doing, you waste 30% of your time on YouTube all day, and you bask in the silence of your phone.

Then when you use your free time to solve a problem incredibly fast you become the IT hero.

Apologizing is the fastest way to make your department look incompetent. Don't do it.

This is something I've been trying to drill into my coworkers. We're mid-level sysadmins, we don't need to be resetting people's AD passwords because they don't feel like waiting in the helpdesk queue.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

silicone thrills posted:

I've found political nirvana. Everyone in my office seemly hates Trump and is very open about it.

Instead I now get to hate the milquetoast liberals who still want to send their kids to private schools (mostly pretty great schools around here, you only send your kids to private if you are super religious or secretly racist round here) and don't get why safe injection sites are important.

So i'm going through the learn powershell 3 in a month of lunches book - does anyone have any other good suggestions to augment this or other challenges to give myself?

If you have access to cbtnuggets, Don Jones did an amazing course there. I can't recommend it enough to someone looking to learn powershell.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Kashuno posted:

Yeah I recently had a discussion where my boss said they don't really want me to ever work from home unless necessary. Guess I am going to have necessary reasons start coming up

I had this discussion with my boss yesterday too. 6-12 inches of snow projected across the work day, but apparently the perception of our "internal clients" (developers) is that we need to be here in person. Despite the fact that we're sysadmins who manage virtual servers, and correspond with everyone via skype and email.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

vas0line posted:

Salarychat: I am a sysadmin/network engineer guy in a large US city. Company is a subsidiary of a much larger corporation. I have 4 years with this company and it is my second Real Job. My employee reviews are always 555 Exceeds Expectations.

I think I’m underpaid at ~$52k. Is it reasonable to ask for a 20% bump at review time?

I'm a sysadmin in Detroit for a fairly large private company making just shy of $70k after two years. No degree, no certs. Definitely push for 20%.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Defenestrategy posted:

No worries, I should have put the ball park of what I was making, which is close to 28k. My point was, the raise I'm gonna be asking for is gonna be considerable for me to stick around.

Ay mama, that's a spicy amount of dollars.

I haven't really done all that much, I think. I basically ran help desk for this company, printers, computers/software/network/server acting up, implemented a backup system with Azure, and did a bunch of compliance stuff so that my company's trade body doesn't yell at them.

I got hired in with no degree and only home lab experience as a server janitor for $58k, you're getting robbed dude.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

How the hell are you finding server janitor jobs for $58k?

I work four 10s over the weekend, they apparently had to pay a premium to find people willing to work thurs-sun :shrug: . We're getting ready to open a posting for $60-80k, but it's Thurs-Sun overnights. I expect us to spend 3-5 months finding someone willing to work that shift.

e: Also, having to pay a premium to get people to come to Detroit.

xsf421 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 21, 2018

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

ChubbyThePhat posted:

How big does that premium need to be?

$60k (to start) + bonus to restart windows services, recycle app pools, and clean c: drives is pretty decent.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

lampey posted:

Good luck, that is a hard position to fill. Quicken is always hiring, pays about the same or a little less, and you would get weekends and nights off.

(This is for QL IT) :ssh:

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

The Fool posted:

I didn't start using git regularly until I signed up for VSTS and started messing with deployment pipelines.

Have a powershell script that needs to be deployed to a certain server? Edit it on your computer, commit and push, then the deployment pipeline send the updated version to the server automatically.
Need to have a script run on a schedule? Setup a deployment on a timer that copies the script to a server, runs it, then cleans up after itself.
Have three domain controllers and have a script that needs to be run on one of them, but it doesn't matter which? Create an agent pool, and the script will run on whichever server is available.

A few months ago I moved everything I had in scheduled tasks to VSTS.

This is really interesting, I'm going to have to look into VSTS this week. We currently run tons of scripts as scheduled tasks doing all sorts of things, and we have kind of a hacked together module that runs once a week pulling the latest version from git and overwriting the old scripts.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

NOC people get rode hard and put away wet around here. My last NOC job was similar in that management did their damnest to make us look bad to other departments so we wouldn't get poached. It's an odd situation. I don't see a lot of NOC people leaving for better spots in the company. Generally they just leave.

It's a good company to work for overall though, so I'm holding out hope I can find a spot that gives me regular hours and weekends off so I don't spend every other Saturday poo poo posting on SA.

This is what it's like where I am. It doesn't help that the last time they promoted someone off the NOC (~2.5 years ago), he ran a script the senior engineer gave him and it deleted the entire company's DNS entries.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Sheep posted:

Surely there's some backstory here? Nothing about this seems sane from either side.

Just a crazy environment that is getting crazier as they try to improve it.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I need some sort of URL though, Steam requires a URL for you to pull anything from the API. Since I don’t intend to set up a static IP at home using a free hosting instance seems like the best choice.

I was planning on using Mongo because it’s in high demand, should I really use Dynamo?

I’m writing a batch file to run the VBS mentioned in the Stack Overflow link above without us having to type the file names. The import folder is hosted on our cloud provider’s servers, and there’s no way they are going to install an unofficial PS module just for us.

Have you tried something as simple as:

code:
Get-Content excelfile.xls | Export-Csv newfilename.csv
I'm pretty sure we've done that to deal with all the xls files our BI people love to send us.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

GreenNight posted:

I loving love it. We have a bunch of poo poo written in QBASIC that management refuses to pay someone to rewrite. Good times ya'll.

Our super critical central app is written in Progress from (I believe 1992). With 25 years of code updates. I think there's a modernization effort underway, but it's taking a long time, for obvious reasons. We're a financial company big enough to have a superbowl ad every year, and an even bigger financial company pays us $texas in licensing fees to use this software. It's insane.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Teams has some quirks but I’ve had a lot success rolling it out as a hipchat replacement. And it’s already included with our 365 licensing so why not.

We made this change in the spring, but everyone misses hipchat.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

Look sir/ma'am the spreadsheet aws made for us assuming we pay full retail for Dell servers with the top of the line warranty, raid cards, and redundant power supplies says we save money hand over fist if we do all up front reserved instances. Barely.

AWS sold my company on this, and when our architects did the math, they forgot to include having things in multiple AZ/regions, so we're already 1.5-2x what was projected.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

Microsoft/AWS/Vendors sell the SAVINGGGSS!!! very, very hard and will routinely drop numbers like 30-60% without really even getting into what people are running. They always assume you'll move every damned thing to the CLOUD, when really whatever those mostly imaginary savings are only kick in when you're abandoning entire gigantic swaths of on-prem infrastructure, which most businesses cannot/will not do. So now you've got one foot in each ecosystem and are paying heavily for both.

I feel like they also assume you're not keeping around the people you used to have on staff to maintain that infrastructure.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

devmd01 posted:

So are there companies out there that have a “security team” worth a poo poo or are they all universally just flinging poo everywhere? Because ours is hilariously bad, they buy all these expensive tools and don’t do jack poo poo with them, and the manager’s weekly update pretty much always consists of “we’re still reviewing the nist cyber security framework.” Any real work gets flung over the wall to us (infrastructure) without any research done on how to implement or its actual impact.

gently caress you, we’re not turning on dnssec internally.

Ours just implemented 20(!) character passwords for our admin accounts. 20 characters, 2 capitals, 2 numbers, 2 specials, 90 day expiration, and can't use any historical passwords. These accounts already had to two factor into everything with duo, so I'm assuming that there's some audit checklist they're trying to pass.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Vulture Culture posted:

Udemy doesn't have any real quality standards or oversight. They're a publishing platform for individuals, many of whom just pirate their course materials from other sites and sell them on Udemy. You can do worse than their Restaurant.com-style $10-for-any-course deals that they run a couple times a year, but the quality usually doesn't match Udacity or Pluralsight or Coursera.

I completely gave up on Udemy after buying a couple courses where someone with an indecipherable accent had paid a native english speaker to record the promo videos. I've had a pluralsight sub for a few months now and Udemy isn't nearly on this level.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Judge Schnoopy posted:

It's stupid easy once you get one project working. Invoke-restmethod parameters can be copy and pasted into the new project with some minor tweaks and boom, another data source can now be pulled into powershell for correlation and integration with what you already have.

If I interviewed somebody who said they had even a hobby level of experience with programming around API calls, they would be top of the list immediately.

No joke, this just landed me a devops engineer role, jumping from a tier 1 sysadmin job. Turns out trying to automate yourself out of a job does wonders for your resume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I'm making 64k a year as tier 1 windows sysadmin in a 24/7 ops center (Detroit area).