Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Sickening posted:

I have a devops team of 10. 4 of them were hired as devops people and are paid as such. 1 was promoted because he is brilliant and wasted in QA. The other 5 were a mix of current sysadmins or sysadmins we hired to turn into devops people. Of course all 6 of the non-original dev-ops guys are paid middle range sys admin salaries in the 80-90k region while the rest are 110-130.

I am losing 3 as they have found companies to pay them what they are worth. I am probably going to lose the other 3 sometime in the next 2 months. All could have been kept by just paying them the market rate. We could have realized the savings of paying them under market for their time being brought up to speed and trained on our systems. Just the money spent to find and onboard new people is going to make the money spent on raises a trivial squabble.

The cherry on this poo poo Sundae is that I just got out of the company leadership meeting where I was asked why we are losing so many on this team so abruptly. I now have a meeting my calendar with the vp of HR for "retention strategies".

The people who leave will poach some of your devops, and they will leave because they don't want to deal with doing double the work while the new positions are being filled and trained and the constant turnover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

We started keeping spare new laptops on hand for the first time mostly because of changes at Dell resulting in orders unpredictably taking longer to fill, but also because of savings from bigger bulk orders, overall growth in the customer base, and more standardization in what we order. It shouldn't take weeks to get an account setup or 48 hours to change a quote, but sometimes you get stuck with a bad rep. Still works better for us than HP Lenovo or Panasonic.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

A great feature of letsencrypt is the short expiration. It basically forces you to automate and monitor the certs instead of doing it manually.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Sepist posted:

2 weeks for RSA token? Hah! Try working for a fortune 50. I am projecting Q1 2019 to receive a server certificate...in our development lab.

This is how you end up with shadow IT

H110Hawk posted:

Stupid question: Is there an equivalent to `efibootmgr`? Post installing an OS Windows (and Ubuntu) set themselves as the first boot device. I want to set it back to be a specific NIC PXE booting first. In Ubuntu I can just use efibootmgr to set this option. This is to control what happens before the Windows bootloader is executed.

I've found various threads on the subject, none of them have any advice, and most of them misunderstand that the user wants BCDEdit or whatever it's called. Unless that can set a different device to boot before Windows Boot Manager I'm not interested.

(Hello coworkers.)

Edit: Oooooo $200 https://www.easyuefi.com/index-us.html

If you have a dell server you can use DCCU to change many BIOS options including boot order.

I'm not sure why you would need to change the boot order to install windows though

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

There is more to the decision than the commute. He knew what the commute was before the interview. As a friend I would get some more feedback, maybe there is something you can do for future candidates.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

Also I swear to god if Microsoft uninstalls RSAT during an update one more God drat time...

This was fixed in 1803

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Auditing/tracing. Say you have a breach 6 months after an employee leaves, and you have to trace their AD permissions, events in your SIEM, etc. You would just have a useless SID remaining and no way to tie that to an account. Always disable and keep old user accounts until your legal/security advises it's safe to get rid of. My old company we kept them 5 years as per regulations.

You can not take it as a given that the AD permissions for a disabled had not changed since the account was disabled. You can always restore the AD account from the last backup before it was deleted if you need to see what the permissions actually were when it was deleted.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

How is anyone supposed to get a job these days without knowing someone or having a ridiculous amount of certs and exp?

I trawl the job boards and get something like four responses for 100 applications and out of those get past the phone screen like once, but I ask my bros and get a 100% response rate and pretty much get to the interview if I want the job. I have my bachelors and about a year as the IT department for a small financial firm, so I'd think I'd have a fair shot.

If 4/100 is not a hyperbole you should redo your resume and do a few practice interviews to rule out any big problems. Your resume should be a showcase of your achievements not just a list of experience. You should be editing it some for each job you apply to, and make sure to use some of the wording from the job post. Ideally you would be referred by a friend, or an aquaintance, or ask someone on linkedin instead of applying directly. Always be positive.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Awful CompSloth posted:

So the difference be green help desk support and desktop support is usually that help desk is over the phone and you're either talking them through it or remotely fixing it on their pc, and with desktop support you're manually fixing or upgrading physical computers right? I've seen people say they're sort of the same thing with different titles though. I'd definitely like to something more like what desktop support seems to be, but I don't know if a company would want me to start as a help desk jockey when I first start, what have you guys experienced with this stuff.

Many companies have either helpdesk or desktop support as entry level jobs with no prior experience required. Other companies only hire people with experience for one or both of these roles, and you have a lot more options once you have a year or two of experience.

Thanks Ants posted:

You can always just leave if it's poo poo

This is an optimistic view at best. Most people are not financially secure enough to quit working and look for a new job. A lot can happen in two weeks. Many job offers fall through before you can start. Even when leaving a job on good terms it can close that door at many companies It is hard to accept a $10k(or more) pay cut once you are accustomed to it. . Not everyone lives in an area with better job opportunities than they already have, or the ability to move for a new job.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Awful CompSloth posted:

How common are unions in IT? I have a bad feeling I already know the answer.

Industrial unions are better for workers

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

I had promised myself I’d put at least 12 months in at this little MSP, just to get some MSP experience on my resume before jumping to a (better/bigger/more focused on my specific interests) one

A month in, I like the solitude and that I get sent to the hard problems, but we’re selling these tiny little companies on-prem hardware that they have no possible use for, and we have no plans to change this because we get a good margin on hw sales.

I know business is business and there’s no such thing as ethical consumption &c. &c. but goddamn does this make me feel dirty and wrong.

E: I guess what I feel like is that this place should have built or bought a private/virtual private cloud 5, 3, or 2 years ago and P2V’ed everything rather than selling our customers dells or HPs that’ll be useless scrap metal in 18 months. A tiny little dry cleaner chain with three locations in the metro area has no need to be running an on-prem vcenter. It’s loving malpractice.

If they are a small business they are presumably not spending much on IT. Would the customer actually save money moving from on prem servers to the cloud though? And could you charge new customers the same amount you were charging before? Are there factors blocking this like poor internet access?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Onenote is a great tool for documentation for small teams

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

someone talk to me about SOC 2 compliance.

I've just been asked (and will officially be asked tomorrow) to take over for consultant preparing this SaaS shop for SOC 2 compliance. It's part of a business division and split into a new company/new domain. I'm designing their domain architecture, updating their logging/SIEM infrastructure, implmenting role based security, that sort of thing. But otherwise I don't know poo poo about SOC 2 other than general security best practices and some pretty useless free PDF checklists.

We had SOC 2 audits the last couple years and are going to SSAE16 going forward. It doesn't sound like you are in charge of making policy, or implementing policy if you have no previous experience with SOC 2. So mostly you will just be providing reports to management, information the auditor asks for, and potentially arguing with them if what they are asking for is impractical. Whether the company has a policy, and whether or not they are following policy will depend on what the company was doing last year. Whether this will be relatively easy, or tedious and miserable will depend on the infrastructure and the product, and what the auditor is asking for. Is this the first time you are being audited, or just a followup from previous years?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Heffer posted:

I know we talked about on premise server monitoring a few pages ago, but I have a question for cloud-based monitoring.

I work for an IT Consultant (but not really an MSP). We have clients that we do other services for asking for 24/7 monitoring of their on premise servers, databases, websites. I'm looking for a recommendation of a cloud based server monitoring. In my mind, I'd install agents on client servers at different sites and have them report to a central dashboard so I can see everything at once. Any ideas?

We use solarwinds n-central for this

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

Do I have to be self-employeed? What if my employer wont pay or I am unemployed.

Look into college classes if you have time. They often have the same training material, and spread out over 6-12 weeks you can get more face time with the instructor. Networking with other students is also valuable. The full time, week long courses that cost $5k are aimed at employers who reimburse their employees and pay for them to get the training.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

I’m trying to target the Red Hat course specifically and my employer pays for college but not training.

Stanly college offer these courses specifically. You may be able to find a local course too

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

So,

All the InfoSec guys on twitter are telling me to stop focusing on 0-Days and start focusing more on IT Hygiene. Not that 0-Days aren't important but that in the terms of most medium-large businesses that aren't the military, government or otherwise a likely target of hackers being organized is much more important than we once realized.

Thoughts?

Yes it is likely that focusing on patching, best practices for network design, following least privilege principles, auditing current permissions, and monitoring for all of the above to ensure it doesn't change is a better use of your time. You are 1000x more likely to have a problem because a server has 3389 exposed to the internet and you have a weak administrator account password with the default name. Or a user downloaded malware that takes advantage of a vulnerability that should have been patched a year ago.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

AnnoyBot posted:

As a US-ian, I'm curious about how common scenarios are paid (or not paid) for in other exotic lands. :

In CA you need to make -100k to be an exempt computer worker(and a bunch of job types can never be exempt). If you are not salary exempt all of those scenarios would be paid, and anything more than 8 in a day or 40 in a week is overtime. Many of these jobs do pay overtime or comp time for exempt employees.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

In 9 months Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 will be end of life.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Coredump posted:

I dunno if it’s been covered earlier but how would you all handle travel? If you got to travel for 2-4 hours to be onsite next day do you do it during your normal work hours or wait till your day is done then leave? How do you handle getting comped for time if you wait till after work to travel?

It depends on the needs of the business, what you are doing that day, if there are other people waiting on you, or if you are waiting on someone else and it is hard to generalize. Ideally you want to travel during regular work hours and get work done with whatever is left over. Sometimes it works better for you to do a long day with overtime instead of the company paying for a hotel, or paying for two days of travel expenses.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

Is there a point where playing buzzword bingo by naming all the stuff you're at least mildly proficient is kinda not worth it? Like I became proficient in setting up and fixing issues related to the Eudora email client in a modern infrastructure because this finance place I was working for had a bunch of older guys who where still using it, but I feel as if naming mildly popular email clients from 2010 may not be worth listing.

You are best off editing your resume to show the most relevant experience for each job application

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Tetramin posted:

Manager asked me and other networking dude if one of us can start our shift at 7 instead of 830 to improve coverage. To be fair, we do see a fair amount of issues right before we make it into the office. Other guys been here for like 7 years and I feel lovely not doing it because of stupid respect for seniority, but on the other hand, I’m lazy and already have trouble getting there before 830 lol. Moving my shift up an hour and a half would probably seriously affect my relationship with the job and my boss.

Not really sure how to tackle this, we both made it clear that neither of us want this. Might have to team up and just say no to the boss

I have two coworkers who moved to the east coast so it makes sense form them to cover the earlier part of the day. And we have someone on the team in portugal that significantly reduces calls for on call, and handles other work. Remote work is a great benefit

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Write a cover letter for each position, using info from the job posting and your resume. Ideally you would tailor your resume to each position, using only the most relevant experience. Your resume should show your accomplishments in their best light, and not be just a list of where you worked. You should have someone review your resume, to see if there are any glaring issues, spelling mistakes or major problems. You should also practice a phone interview with a friend, to get more comfortable. If you are applying to jobs out of the area you are in and not expecting paid relocation you could leave you address off the resume and let them know you will be relocating if they ask. Getting your resume to HR through a friend is a big step up and more likely to lead to an interview than applying directly. Ask everyone you know if they know anyone who is hiring.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

I'm in a bad way, pushing 40 with zero certs to show and a 3rd shift job doing Security admin stuff - SIEM offenses, DDoS mitigation (mostly automated), AV provisioning, HIDs card admin/physical security

All my previous work history is stuff like NOC and call center work, so not very highly valued.

I'm debating just leaving the industry, but i think that's just because i have no clue as to what i'm to do now and i'm burning out hard with the 3rd shift work.

Goons, what is my best option that doesn't involve uprooting my family and moving to a tech-heavy non-Midwest city?

This is all valuable experience. What kind of work do you want to do in the future? You may not need any certs to get to where you want to be and there could be other areas to focus on.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

You need to look at the logs to see why it was blocked. Was the user using legacy auth, or a relaye like a scanner? Is there a specific rule that is blocking these emails?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Sepist posted:

So a client wants to hire me, they cant meet my salary requirements 100% so they're offering sign on bonus + equity. They just finished their series B at a 500M valuation. Having never done equity, is there a primer on negotiating it?

Try the calc here with your expected best case scenario. https://comp.data.frontapp.com/ The vast majority of the cases will have the equity worth zero, or nearly zero historically, even when the company has a "successful" exit. A small change in the company valuation, strike price, or the dilution can make the options worthless. For instance if you expect the company will have an exit at 1 billion, you are getting $20k of options a year and $180k salary, 5% dilution, 20m shares issued strike price $28. After four years your options should be worth $240k, about 3x the option price so it is like you are getting $240k a year in comp instead of $200k. Oh and this is very likely short term capital gains, so it is like salary for tax purposes, possibly worse because it is all at once, and not long term gains. But what if the company takes 6 years to exit, your dilution is 34% instead of the 20% you expected, and the valuation is now $800m, the options are worth zero.

In your case though a 10% cut is not going to materially affect your lifestyle, there are other factors besides compensation in picking a job, if the company sucks you can always find another job

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

We have this to a degree, but things get all sorts of hosed up because nothing is actually documented and departments have split and combined all over the place and there's constant turnover so nobody knows what the gently caress they need access to, or where poo poo is, and just put whatever they want where ever they want and demand that other people be given access to that place. So you wind up with one department director that has their GPO map their "I: drive" plus a login script JUST FOR THEM BECAUSE THEY'RE loving SPECIAL, that maps like 8 other department's "I: drives" to different letters and now they're running around telling everyone that the document they need is in the "Q:" drive and all of a sudden there's a wave of people from 6 different departments that are all pissed and demanding "Q:" drive access.

:fuckoff: YOU ALL HAVE AN "S:" USE THAT.
"S: is for sharing, and sharing is caring."

There is an easy fix for this. Setup a GPO and everyone gets the same I drive and Q drive and any others.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I mean, in an ideal world you either have an automated deployment tool or a well-developed run-book/checklist that the deployer follows. Something like a missed config on a new deployment seems like it would be obvious pretty quickly.

Doing a copy/paste makes more sense if you need an environment that exactly duplicates production as it is for testing a new patch or some significant change in configurations.

How do you handle deploying in general? Do you type everything in by hand in dev? Or do you enter the info into a config management system, and it makes the config file?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Always be positive when talking to a potential employer. Say you are looking for new challenges, you want a career path with more room for advancement.