Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

PBS posted:

Yep, our old mainframe guys always tell stories about how little work they actually had to do. (They sure as hell weren't doing manual data entry either)

I joke about this being "the dream" all the time but i'm actually wondering what they did all day. Especially before the golden age of shitposting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Catching up on this thread and I thought i'd accidentally opened loving D&D for a few pages.

:smith:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I default to "why are you trying to talk to me about Erotic Role Play" in my head and then try not to laugh.

I'm a child.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
"I can't send anything out! It must be the network" - App guy

"Network isn't down and has had no changes in the last two weeks, check your application" - Network guy

*cc's director* "We're down, we need you to get network guy to fix it" - App guy who is now on "the list".

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

nielsm posted:

Lock app guy and network guy in a room together.

Please do not lock me in a room with a guy who is both wrong and angry.

I will kick the door down to get out so I don't murder him. I don't do well with idiots who aren't aware they're idiots (precisely because most of the time, that's me and i'm very, very aware of it).

Also i'm pretty sure I have the IT version of PTSD from the last time i got locked in a room with my (old, i've changed jobs) manager (who was trying to throw me under the bus), the head of HR (who was looking for an excuse to fire me) and one of the company bosses (who is a loving idiot when it comes to networks not designed in 1990).

dogstile fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jul 4, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Heh, this reminds me of something i'm currently doing in addition to my IT responsibilities.

I've been asked to convert a bunch of excel sheets from various companies that we work with into a workable data format and instead i've given them a template to fill out and asked them to fill it in.

Now i'm just converting the excel sheet i'm getting into a CSV and throwing it straight into our data, but i'm about to automate that. As the IT responsibilities right now are really limited (small business, I automated almost everything else) i'm getting really close to the story of that guy who automated his job.

Automation is kinda great tbh

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Heh, this reminds me of something i'm currently doing in addition to my IT responsibilities.

I've been asked to convert a bunch of excel sheets from various companies that we work with into a workable data format and instead i've given them a template to fill out and asked them to fill it in.

Now i'm just converting the excel sheet i'm getting into a CSV and throwing it straight into our data, but i'm about to automate that. As the IT responsibilities right now are really limited (small business, I automated almost everything else) i'm getting really close to the story of that guy who automated his job.

Automation is kinda great tbh

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Kashuno posted:

god drat same. I tend to get compliments about my calm demeanor during serious disasters meanwhile I am like "holy loving poo poo oh my god gently caress"

In the job that I got harassed into leaving one of their comments was "when we got hit by ransomware you didn't seem bothered".

Course I didn't seem bothered? What the gently caress else do you want me to do, we've contained the threat, backups were on the way, 90% of the network is fine and undergoing scans. Do you want me to scream and stress when i've got it all in hand?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Vulture Culture posted:

One of the things I learned from Lucy Freedman's Smart Work is that when people are panicking, they interpret other people's deliberate calmness as a means of exerting control; it feels almost condescending. The author gave an example of how she calmed down a woman having a panic attack in an airplane by matching her volume, rhythm, and pitch, then slowly started to lower her own volume and slow down in order to de-escalate the panicking woman. The flight attendants with their deliberate calm couldn't do poo poo. She would have tried to pop open the emergency exit in mid-flight.

It's mentioned in a book about communicating at work because people have to do this all the time in professional settings. It's a really good book, and I recommend it.

Sadly I feel like this is less of a case of needing to de-escalate her and more she wanted to assign blame, the way it was worded was very much "you seemed to not be worried, almost like you knew it would happen" kind of bullshit.

You can see why I left.

I'll likely pick up the book though, sounds good.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Vargatron posted:

haha so the implication was that you basically let a ransomware attack happen? Leaving that job was a good decision.

There was lots of implications or straight up "this is your fault".

The other teams couldn't get backups, this was after i'd sent them monthly emails over the year saying "hey this is what we back up, we don't back up anything else, if your poo poo needs backing up tell me and we'll organise it".

They never responded, my fault when they lost data apparently.

I mean, on the plus side that job turned me into someone who will literally take no poo poo from anyone ever again. Recently bumped into an old manager (not mine) who asked me "what company i was sabotaging now" while I was shopping because apparently since I left every time something goes wrong they just say it was my fault. It's almost been a year. He left the store without anything he'd picked up after I started shouting at him.

Get fuuuuuucked. I don't give a gently caress how embarrassing that apparently is (me losing my cool, i mean), you don't talk to people like that.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 13, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Also on the "i'd wait" train. What if the CEO wakes up covered in hookers and glitter before saying "poo poo, i can't afford another employee, i'd be able to do this one less time a year".

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
DHCP chat - Generally I have servers on something static and then user devices/pc's are all done via DHCP. It's the way i've always seen it done and i've had it taught to me, but i cannot for the life of me remember their reasoning, its been years and every place i've worked since has done the same thing.

Helps that I currently only take care of a couple servers and a few VMs so its easy to remember. Off the top of my head the only reason I can think of having a static IP is predictability, but that doesn't matter if the people designing whatever your server is being used for account for it rather than calling a specific IP.

Our current developer (he's been here 30 years, will probably be wired up to the place when his body finally gives out) mentioned his code calls specific addresses, so gently caress me if i'm ever getting it changed.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Vargatron posted:

Chances are the dude is the last person with the knowledge of how the old rear end production system functions and can't get fired.

He's actually the only guy who knows the system period. He made the whole thing. Boss has a hard on for custom poo poo that we entirely own. Dudes gonna get hit by a bus and then we're all hosed.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Vargatron posted:

Get out. Now.

Eh, i've already got an idea on how we'll replace it/move over to it if he does die. If not i'm planning to be out of here in a couple of years (i really don't want to "get out" 3 times in less than a year, 2 already looks bad).

Worst comes to worst we get a couple of weeks worth of stress while I get us moved over to a company that will handle it properly, then i'll probably get a raise for saving the business. :shrug:

Not overly worried, its just work, this place is laid back enough that I would probably welcome the stress.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Whatup, 6-7 hours buddy!

8 hours or more makes me groggy as poo poo.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Collateral Damage posted:

The eternal dilemma of working in IT: It sucks and most of us would rather do something else, but you can't beat the $/effort ratio.

Preach, brother

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm catching up, but if you guys didn't know about the snipping tool, then holy poo poo you're gonna lose your minds at the steps recorder

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Vargatron posted:

Well today certainly started off with a bang. My boss spoke with me this morning and said that his boss had talked to him about "responsiveness issues" in my work. Apparently there was talk about "figuring out what to do" about these concerns, which confused both myself and my boss. I haven't heard a single complaint about my work since I started here in September and I even asked if they were talking about disciplinary action.

I stopped by our bosses office this morning but she's apparently on vacation all week. So I e-mailed her and copied my direct boss asking for a meeting next week to get this whole thing straightened out.

I never get this.

Why not just talk to you? I used to wonder how people in IT became such passive aggressive assholes in their later years but i'm already furious just reading that because i've lived through it.

gently caress management man.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
How'd your manager take it?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Thom and the Heads posted:

guy who brought in an old 30 inch 720p TV to use as a third monitor is now playing music from his laptop. I can hear it through my headphones.

open floor plan offices, folks

How does that go on for longer than 20 seconds without someone telling him to knock it off?

Seriously, i'd have done it almost immediately.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I actually was part of an IT discord thing (which was really just a bunch of local professionals talking about poo poo they were dealing with, kinda like here).

Within like, 2 months I started getting comments on it. I've never had a comment about SA.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Kashuno posted:

I’ve heard “cut the poo poo” used multiple times when talking to vendors about things like that. Calling someone out for lying, especially if it’s blatant, is totally within scope and may definitely even be in your job responsibilities depending on your position

Its a beautiful thing the first time you do this at a place where you are authorised to change suppliers.

Apparently the old IT guy was kinda spineless, so the first time I told a provider to stop loving around and sort my issue or i'd go to x provider who I already had quotes for, they looked at me like i'd just murdered a puppy.

(I did not already have quotes from a secondary provider).

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Roaming profile chat - They were here when I started and i've gone the path of least resistance and kept them in so I can learn what common issues are.

It's fairly pain free but I still don't really see the point. Barely anyone moves desks, anyone who does needs access to what, 20gb of data at most (for the people taking pictures).

Can just throw that on a share. The Quota thing tripped me up a little but ehhh

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Docjowles posted:

I take it you don’t spend much time at the gym. In the locker room, it’s always the old dudes who are proudly strutting around like the “haters gonna hate” gif. Except buck rear end naked, octogenarian dong waving in the breeze. :yikes:

According to my GF, its the same in the womens sections. The oldies don't give a poo poo.

Urinal chat, apparently we're using this earth safe paper now because yay, the environment.

According to the plumber its already blocked the pipe. I hope they change it because i feel like this paper has tiny razors attached to it.

I'm tempted to buy my own loo roll.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The only co-workers i've played games with after work were truly the laddiest of "lad lads". Wouldn't do it with any other type of coworker tbh.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

MF_James posted:

Can we not have a slap-fight about hanging out with co-workers vs your family vs being an ugly goon troll hiding in a basement; that is probably my least enjoyable recurring IT threads fight.

It was a fight?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Sometimes I wake up on a sunday and get ready for work thinking my weekend is over.

The resulting sleep I get when going back to bed is probably the deepest sleep i've ever had, not counting the hospital sleep I had.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Docjowles posted:

I have kids. I am getting up at 6:30 (if I'm lucky) every day of my life whether there's work or not :rip:

I've still got 3 more years before I start thinking about having mine.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I almost had a job as a "senior" once.

It was going to be first line support.

Senior was because "you would be taking control of your own issues".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm starting to get flashbacks to cliffyB's game mocking COD here.

E: Duty calls, if anyone doesn't know.