Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

SamDabbers posted:

Sounds like retirement might come a bit sooner :smith:

It needs to, dude is pretty much dead weight around here. Nice guy and all, but replace him with someone half his age or someone fresh outta college and a lot more work would get done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

If you guys aren't eating Publix Chicken Tenders I dunno wtf is wrong with all of you.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I remember the day I got my first computer. I was in second grade and my mom had bought a Laser 128 Mac Compatible computer through school and they delivered it to the classroom for me. Like I seriously don't remember anything else so clearly from elementary school than the day I got my first computer.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Daylen Drazzi posted:

So last month I lost my job and I've been scrambling to find a new position. Two weeks ago I did a phone interview for a sysadmin position working on a Hadoop cluster managing Linux servers. My feeling at the end of the interview was that I bombed it in horrible fashion. I did an in-person interview Friday of last week for a company I really, REALLY wanted to work for. Interview went incredibly well, so well that my friend who also works for this company was casually informed that they would be making me an offer. And finally I did another phone interview this Monday for a virtual desktop infrastructure admin position that seemed really interesting. Interviewer loved me and was extremely excited about bringing me on, however the position was a contingent-upon-award type of thing and was likely 2 months out.

Company of the first interview gets back with me and wants to make me an offer. It's not quite six figures, but it would be a 60-70 minute commute every day. Additionally, the senior engineer who interviewed me (and who I would be answering to) was something of a prick. Generally I could get along with just about anyone, but I'm leaning towards no just because the pluses and minuses don't balance out.

Second company is putting the finishing touches on my offer, so I should have it either by the end of today or Monday. Should be somewhere around low-to-mid 80s, but the commute is like 10 minutes. And even if I'm way off on the compensation, the long-term perks of working there are worth the lower pay in my opinion. Add in that they will likely sponsor me for a TS (and a raise would be included), as well as the reputation of the company, and I'm pretty much set on accepting their offer. All I need is the paperwork.

Third company also verbally stated they were going to make me an offer of $80k, but the commute is about 30 minutes. Position seems extremely interesting, but again, it's contingent-upon-award and is likely 2 months off. There is some talk about bringing me on under the existing contract, but there's no guarantee they'll get the new contract. Been in that spot before, not interested in repeating the experience. I've got until Monday evening to make a decision for this position, and until Tuesday at 5pm on the first position.

So yesterday before lunch I'm sitting at my computer feeling sorry for myself, and within an hour I had either received an offer or a call letting me know what kind of offer was coming. Suddenly the stress went from being about whether I would get any offers to having the option to pick and choose but having to wait on the one I really want while deadlines on the other two are ticking down.

Awesome man!

I took a 5k pay cut to go from a 30min - 1+hr commute in rush hour traffic to a 5 minute commute and it was the best thing I ever did for my sanity. Funny thing is I wound up making more even after the pay cut due to the fact I actually get paid OT now and don't mind working an extra hour here or there because it still only takes me 5 minutes to get home.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

dogstile posted:

Speaking of turning off avatars, how do you do it? I've had a five minute look and can't figure it how so I assume i'm an idiot.

User control panel/edit options

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Nothing worse than finding out your super awesome manager has taken another position within the company and is gone in a month. One of the best managers I've worked with.

However with that said, I'm sorta interested in taking over her manager spot. While I have no real managerial experience on my resume, I am the senior tech at this hospital, basically lead out all projects, the team of 3 other techs I'm on all respect me and come to me with any questions/concerns and my director even asked if I were going to apply for her spot. I've been in IT for some odd 15 years now, I didn't think I'd want to move into management but thinking more about it, this seems like a great opportunity for me. Our managers are kinda unique in that they are still hands on with tech at the hospital and when she's not around I basically run the department as is. The position opens next week and she said she'd help me with my resume and kinda guide me through some things I'd need to know for the position.

So, maybe possible unexpected :yotj: soon?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

F joining that giant goon Discord. We should have an IT goon slack, it's right up all our alleys. I can make it if that sounds good?

Oh man I'd totally be down to join a goon slack.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

KS posted:

Venting because my new work laptop, the just-released Elitebook 830 G5, is a great laptop with one very annoying flaw.

There’s a function lock key – the first HP laptop I’ve seen with it. This key toggles the function of the F-keys between the media functions and the traditional F1-F12. My Lenovo T460s and T450s had function lock on the escape key. HP elected to put it on the left shift key.

The problem is home/end/pgup/pgdown are fn + arrow keys on the Elitebook keyboard, and shift-home/shift-end are common shortcuts to highlight blocks of text. If you press shift, function, home, it works, but if you press function, shift, home, it doesn’t – it toggles the function lock instead. Absolutely maddening brain re-training exercise. They should have ripped off Lenovo completely.

The 830 G5s are pretty sexy. As soon as they become approved devices for our Corp I'm going to order myself one since I do all the purchasing for our IT department. Right now I have a Elitebook Folio G1 and it's pretty nice in a wanna be mac book air way but I yearn for the 830 G5.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

I will have finished with my IT Degree in December, and will have worked in this place for coming up on eight months by then. I low balled the crap outta myself so I could get a job immediately, due to loosing a grant and walking away from a job that I was fed up with. So I landed this cushy IT job where I pretty much look after a network that really doesn't need much except a tiny bit of attention here and there, and when I graduate I plan on asking for a pretty big raise and bennies, probably another 25% an hour, a week or so PTO, and Insurance. I am pretty much assuming I'm not gonna get that big of a bump and will probably walk away from this job.

So the question I had was does it matter how long I've held this post? By the time I ask for a raise I'll have been working here for eight months, will it look bad on my resume that I only worked a job for that long and peaced out? Will working x amount of months longer make my resume look better? I don't particularly mind working here, it's actually pretty cool sometimes and economically I'm alright, not great, but I'm not gonna starve and I'm decently comfortable so long as I don't have a tragic accident befall me.

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but getting a degree in IT doesn't automatically mean you get a huge raise at your job.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

True fact, but I can probably find something to put me into 35k/year with insurance in Atlanta. :shrug:

OH! If you're not even at 35k yet, then yeah, degree should help that. Sorry!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

No worries, I should have put the ball park of what I was making, which is close to 28k. My point was, the raise I'm gonna be asking for is gonna be considerable for me to stick around.

Ay mama, that's a spicy amount of dollars.

I haven't really done all that much, I think. I basically ran help desk for this company, printers, computers/software/network/server acting up, implemented a backup system with Azure, and did a bunch of compliance stuff so that my company's trade body doesn't yell at them.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Lmao dude that is poo poo I do and I make 78 and still feel underpaid. You are getting fuuuuuucked hard.

I do even less than that and make 85k, but I have to deal with doctors and nurses so I feel there's a trade-off there lol

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Our on call is pretty nice. We get $150/per week extra that we are on call and then if we are actually paged during on call, it's a separate on call over time rate(we techs here at the hospital are hourly) which is about 2x our normal rate of pay. Sometimes I get called in for stupid poo poo that takes me like 15 minutes to fix but our boss says always clock 2 hours of time. So it can work out pretty well if I get paged once or twice during on call. I've had a few paychecks that are $500+ or more just due to it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anyone ever use lynda.com for training? Our company just gave us full access to it and I'm wondering if there's anything worth while in there I should look at.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Yes there is actually a decent amount of stuff in there. The times I've used it have been good.

I currently use it as part of my pool of resources for training my L1 techs.

I'm thinking of looking into some of the "cloud" training stuff. There's a course for the AWS SysOps Cert that looks interesting and some Azure stuff. I'll hafta dig through it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

We have an on-call rotation here. Works out to one week a month, until we hire more people. We get $250 extra and any call we get during after hours, 5pm-7am is paid at time and a half rate and one hour minimum, so it's not too bad.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

$90k/yr, 4+ weeks of PDO, 401k match, ok healthcare, super flexible hours and an amazing work/life balance, central florida area. Title is End User Computing but essentially my job is jack of all trades IT at a hospital on a team of 4. We handle everything from the lowest level of resetting doctors passwords and imaging PCs to managing the phone system and local network/servers. We have corporate overlords that handle application support and the larger scale network/sys admin type duties. Gotta admit, it's a cake job and I have a 5 minute drive to work everyday. I have some room for growth here on the local team. I came from the corporate team where there is more room for growth but my work/life balance is so great here I have 0 desire to go back to corporate.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Apparently flaming hot take for this thread: On-call should be paid. Not just for call outs, which should be overtime/double pay, but sitting on standby should be compensated. I'll never work anywhere again where it's not.

Here at the hospital we get an extra $250/week when we are on call. Only high priority patient safety issues get paged. When paged we get time and a half OT pay at a minimum of 1 hour no matter how quickly we resolve the issue. Works out pretty good.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I'm in at 6:30 and out by 3:30 most days. It's loving amazing. My body has adjusted to getting up at 5:30 so it's no big deal anymore, plus my dogs are using on my rear end for food at that time anyways.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ugh, employer wants us all to take one of those stupid DiSC personality tests. How badly do I want to answer the worst possible answer for each question and see what happens....

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sickening posted:

Well good news! No matter how you answer, the info gathered will be just as useful as if you answered honestly! As in, its worthless and a waste of time.

100% agreed. Not sure why they suddenly want everyone to do this, I've been with this company for 6 years, get stellar reviews and my work speaks for itself. You're not finding anything new about me that you didn't already know with this stupid thing.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

PBS posted:

Our system appends a number if there are duplicates, so you end up with john.smith@company.com and john.smith2@company.com.

We have the same here at the hospital. Guess how many Patels we are up too lol

Also, always fun when a new doc comes onboard and ends up with a number and the person without a number is a lowly nurse or manager, that's a fun fight too! Normally whoever has been here the longest gets the no number name, but Docs think that they > * so, ya.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Woof Blitzer posted:

What’s the verdict on working at hospitals?

Doing what? I work at a hospital and I've worked for our corporate side.

At least for this company

Hospital = more laid back get to touch more things

Corporate = silo'd into one specialty and that's all you touch.

edit: oh also, again at least for the company I work for, I'm not salary and get as much real overtime as I want to work!

mattfl fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 31, 2019

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

Thanks for the input. I should have mentioned I'm originally from the South, came up to Colorado from Florida a few years ago. I agree Colorado is awesome but I miss the slower pace and affordability of the south. I'm single with no debt and decent cushion for savings, and family to stay with in FL while I job hunt.

I'll probably keep pumping out applications up till the move point and see if anything lands. A few jobs in Memphins, TN caught my eye. A little research tells me that Memphis might not be AS terrible as I initially thought it to be.

Where in Florida are you looking and have you looked into the AdventHealth system yet? We're pretty large in Florida and we always seem to have clinical informatics positions open at hospitals. In fact, at the hospital I work at, we just had one of our clinical informatics people leave so I'm sure we have an open position. Our Corporate IT offices are also always hiring informatic type people as well.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Hey fellow hospital IT goons. We just got a major announcement this morning that we're going to be switching from Cerner to Epic in the coming year or two. Now, us IT techs at the hospital don't do Cerner support directly as we have a direct support line with Cerner itself. Any hospital IT goons here support Epic at a local level and how it compares to Cerner? This is going to be a huge move for us as we have 50+ hospitals nationwide and thousands of physicians practices currently on Athena which will be moved to Epic as well.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Has anyone ever hit the max salary for the position title you are in?

This last review/"cost of living" increase period I found out, after not seeing an increase in my hourly rate, but then receiving a "bonus" for what amounted to what my increase in pay would have been x 2080 hours, that I have hit the max pay for my position title. Which, ok ya that kind of worked out, but because I'm hourly I get overtime and I probably worked close to a few hundred hours of overtime this year so I kinda lost out on money since I wasn't getting that overtime and what would have been my increased rate.

Yearly reviews are coming up in a few months and I absolutely shined like a bright loving star this year with so many successful projects that are way above my position title that it's really not funny. Unfortunately the next position up from me is a lead position, and as far as I know we only have 1 lead per site, and I don't see the current lead going anywhere anytime soon.

I don't want to leave my job, I love it here, extremely stress free, 5 minute drive to work, easy hours, etc, but, I should be getting paid more. Is it a bad idea to suggest to my boss during my review or perhaps even sooner maybe a differently titled position needs to be created for me since I'm at the max and it's not really right I'm not making more? Or some other way to make things right?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

Somewhat of a related question, what would you say the average compensation for someone with a decade of IT Experience from general help desk, user hardware, server hardware, networks, printers, windows server(AD,DNS,ADFS,File Shares,etc.) VMware, Linux, AS/400 and Azure (Infrastructure) including Office 365 and all the Azure AD Premium Features should be around?

This is me as a tech at a hospital with less linux/azure stuff and I’ll clear about 93k this year with O/T and on call pay. I’m in the central Florida area and work for a large hospital system.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

I purposefully made the question vague - just trying to see what’s an acceptable range which is similar to have now if on the low end. :smith:

As a follow-up, how did you all get into the industry? Degree, Certs, Self-Study?

My IT career has gone like this

- Fresh out of high school I got my first IT job doing CAD design for a company that installs nurse call and school intercom system, I did very little "IT" stuff but I knew how to use AutoCAD so that got me a job(in all honestly I had 2 credits of CAD design from high school yet still got hired lol) I also would go on site and pull wire and punch down 66 blocks for the phone system(waaaaaaaaaay before VOiP lol)

- Took a job doing DSL installs for a verizon contractor back when DSL was the poo poo. Still not really IT

- Babies first IT job at a newspaper doing helpdesk stuff, I had an A+ and was "working on my MCSE, never got it", was there for 9 years and progressed from doing basic helpdesk stuff to building servers and managing the network

- Healthcare IT called and I took a job at a major dialysis company doing IT stuff. I was in charge of the imaging system for the entire company as well as software and server support

- PACS admin for an imaging company

- Sys admin at the corporate offices of a major hospital company doing windows server support for our applications

- Current position at a hospital at said major hospital company doing just about everything.

This all spans approx 19 years! I am 98% self study, I had a MCP when I was studying for the NT4! MCSE and also have an A+ that's 19 years old lol! I also only have a GED and just a few college credits as far as secondary education.

I grew up using DOS, 2400 baud modems and eventually windws 95 coming on floppies and basically self taught myself along the way as technologies changed.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Hasn't everyone here taken conference calls on the golf course and have their laptop in their golf bag, just in case? I can't be the only one.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I hadn't even started yet before I called and said I would not in fact be starting lol.

I think I accepted the job on a tuesday or wednesday to start the next week and a better offer came in a day or two later.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Throwing a question out there, how much of a premium would it take for you to walk away from a permanent position you are happy with into a contract to hire situation? Am I crazy to consider it for ~30%?

No amount of money, got burned once by a contract to hire position and I'll never let that happen again. 3 months and 5 days into a contract to hire position where my recruiter was sure my full time offer was coming any day now after what was supposed to be a straight 3 month to hire spot, they fired me without even letting my recruiter know(she probably knew, gently caress Robert Half as well).

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

How much was this guy making? You mentioned Cali salary, like, 80k+ to sit and do nothing?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

PBS posted:

80k to do password resets? 50k is closer to what I'd expect.

Same, but California, so I just assumed the salary would be stupid high.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The Fool posted:

If anyone cares I ordered an HP Elite Dragonfly

Going to be testing it along side this dock.

I use this dock daily, it has a fan that runs all the freaking time no matter what I'm doing on my laptop. It's a pretty common issue too

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-120w-Thunderbolt-dock-fan-noise/td-p/6943333

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The Splash posted:

My last company gave me a crappy work laptop that would get overheated constantly. I wasn't even running anything intense, it was just a huge company so they went for the cheapest option on computers that still ran somehow and let employees deal with it.

Also, hi, thread - I'm a work-from-home QA Analyst who had a sudden urge to see if there was a thread full of folks like me.

This isn't the laptops fan that's running full time, this is the fan inside the DOCK that's running full time lol

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

There's some other Healthcare IT goons in here right?

We just made a major announcement that we are switching from Cerner to Epic over the next 18 months. This is going to be a huge project being that we have 45+ hospitals, 3 different domains currently in Cerner and 10s of thousands of users in our system. Our hospital is also going through a large 100 million dollar tower addition as well as multiple other build outs. Exciting times, oh and my specific hospital is hiring as we are about to loose 2 of my fellow techs, so anyone in the Central Florida region looking, let me know!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

PBS posted:

Wow 100m in tower licensing? I can't believe it can be that expensive.

Sorry, we are building a new additional tower onto our hospital that is a 100m project cost.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

Ouch! I haven't heard of too many places going from one big player to another. I'm sure that's going to be quite the (costly) adventure.

I'm hearing upwards of 500+ million. We just signed our latest Cerner contract too recently, which run in 3 year cycles, so we basically have 3 years to get our entire corporation off of Cerner and onto Epic by then. I'm told our region will be the first to make the transition in the next 18 months, in our region alone we have 15+ hospitals so it sounds like we're going to be the test region for the rest of our sites.

Edit: Some more info I'm finding out. The cost for Cerner to merge our 3 production domains across our enterprise was almost equal to the cost of the transition to Epic. Apparently our Dr's wanted Epic more, so that's that then.

mattfl fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 11, 2020

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

TWBalls posted:

Probably not. I work at a hospital and a number of the doctors here also work at other hospitals. We're on Cerner almost everyone else is Epic. I don't know a single doctor that likes Cerner and they've all said Epic is worlds better.

I'm hearing, at the very least, the interface of Epic is much more user friendly than that of Cerner. I don't do much cerner support but the few times I've had to use it that GUI is a nightmare.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ok who has worked with Virtuastream? We just found out they will be hosting our new Epic system when we start transitioning from Cerner over the next 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Our entire hospital system's VPN is down at the moment, 10s of thousands of users can't connect.

I laugh and say it's probably DNS in our tech email, I join in the Critical Incident teams chat and see

The Critical message is:

Reached maximum failures querying DNS server 172.24.235.142

It actually IS DNS lol