Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

evol262 posted:

I actually love TSM, and it's worth running AIX just for some Tivoli product (not only because IBM is terribad at getting them working on new versions of RHEL, though it's also a thing), but I've can't say I've seen small shops shelling out for Tivoli licensing regardless of platform.

There are other parts of tivoli than TSM?

Fortunately my ISP runs hosted backup on TSM so I don't have to deal with the server or licensing at all - I just run clients.

How is Commvault vs TSM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I carpool in a 1983 Volkswagen bus, which at one point was converted to some sort of camper and the rear seats aren't exactly what you would call "fastened" to the chassis.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Just cutting out one metro exchange and going bus (wiith a seat) to metro (with a seat) instead of standing bus -> standing metro -> seated metro made me a lot less angry at the world. Didn't fully cure until I worked my way down from 1h15 on public transport to 13 minutes.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I need a good video chat for morning standup meetings. So far I've had issues both with hangouts and Skype having lovely quality (even though i'm on a great connection here in Stockholm, so probably on the Mexican end) and my mic not working with people yelling "we can't hear you!" and trying to call up 47 times while I keep denying the call so I can try to fix / chat with them.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Whatever an elevator repair guy makes it doesn't involve printers at least.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

suprisingly most people just want to work 9-5 and give it up about any thing related to job... It's funny. I just want to help the people in the engineering but all they want to do is drink and go home. Can't blame them, most good engineers are alcoholics or fail to understand money/people/etc and focusing on what they love.

We have wormsign.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

abigserve posted:

right down to the blood pentagrams and sacrificed goats.

Normally that's reserved for debugging SCSI chains.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

JHVH-1 posted:

Anyone have any suggestions as far as headsets?

I was thinking maybe I should just get one of those gaming headsets that I can use for other things other than conference calls. I really hate the classic bluetooth one ear crap with a passion, so I don't want one of those. I would rather use something with a headband thing even if its only one ear.

My fav headset for theatre intercom is the the Beyerdynamic DT280. Dunno if there's a version that hooks easily to a computer. Sennheiser HMD-25 is another I can wear for a matinee+evening performance and not have problems with. Bonus is that you can easily rotate away one earpiece and have it only cover one ear.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Hey can any of you peeps working in SF or know what salaries are like in SF for SREs please PM me.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Misogynist posted:

What verticals are you looking in, what industries have you worked in, what's your background, skill level, etc.? You can't just throw out a job title and expect payscale to be the same across the board.

In the Bay Area startup space, it typically runs from $75k-160k depending on experience, equity, etc.

I can provide more details over PM.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

My Linkedin photo is from 2 years before I grew a beard and when i was drunk off my rear end in Reykjavik. Seems to work well.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

mewse posted:

Giving or receiving a reference is one of those rare situations that I think a phone call would be way better than text, for example all the implications a heavy pause can carry.

:agreed:

If someone has warned me that they've given me as a reference i'm more down with a phone call than email.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

:yotj:

After a fun little adventure with internet friends tossing CVs to recruiters, phone screens, being flown in to SF by one company and flown back to Mexico by another, 5-6 hour long interviews with whiteboard coding, I've finally landed a new gig. I'll moving from Stockholm to San Francisco to run servers for a well-known startup in February.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I'm currently in Mexico City and there's some kickass devs here - Amazon apparently recruits a lot from Mexico.

meanieface posted:

:yotj: congrats you!

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

When I interviewed at Facebook last year it went quick phone screen with recruiter -> 1st technical phone interview -> 2nd technical interview -> 3rd technical interview -> Onsite. I never made it 3rd screen unfortunately so I can't comment past that.

This year I interviewed for SRE at two high-profile startups in SF, where it was a bit more relaxed on the phone side: quick phone screen -> 35-45 min technical interview on skype -> Onsite. The onsites were 5-6 hours of interviews - I think I did at 2 whiteboard coding sessions at both of them and met with at least 10 people.

Fortunately I could do my phone screens after-hours since I was 2 hours ahead of the west coast and managed to time my onsites there with a vacation I had planned already. When I did interviews in-person in my hometown I did them over lunch usually.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I'm a fan of rsyslog for gathering and archiving, and then piping everything to logstash/elasticsearch/kibana for analytics.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Man some recruiters have bad timing. A week after I signed for :yotj:, I get recruiter from Google poking me.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Are you sure they didn't circle you? Or was it actually Facebook :haw:

It was linkedin, I am not yet a google employee so I don't use Google Plus.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

We have DAF sign, the likes god has never seen before.

evol262 posted:

Their interview process sucks anyway

I heard they had improved it, but never been through it. Then again $newjob is in downtown SF and not Mountain View.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

A pay number isn't valuable unless it's attached to benefits and cost of living. My paycheck will almost double when I move to SF but I'll probably have the same left over at the end of the month.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Sheep posted:

I had a guy wearing a denim jacket, jeans, and sneakers on Friday. I'm fine if you show up in business casual but don't show up looking (and acting) like a logger slash axe murderer.

Lumbersexual is all the rage these days.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Thank gently caress I'm not his cousin

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

jaegerx posted:

When I did interviews, a guy I interviewed had "grep -r $hisemail /usr/src/linux" on his resume. We hired him.

I've interviewed and hired several people with @openbsd.org addresses. The interviews never touched on technical stuff ever, wasn't needed.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Irritated Goat posted:

Just to poke in,

I'm looking around to find a good solution for keeping account information for server work. I'm in an MSP so we'll have things for multiple clients and will have multiple people on this so I'm OK with some backend security if I can push it as necessary and better than keeping a hidden page somewhere on the MSP network. I looked at Keepass but not sure if we can do much without buying a Yubikey or something of that fashion. I just wanted to see what others are using to do this.

I use Pass for this, which is open-source, based on git and GPG. Works like a charm for people that are technically inclined.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

flosofl posted:

They're usually not brought in for implementation tasks just "how do we build it" and "how do we fix it".

This goes somewhat for database consultants as well, which can make serious bank if they know their poo poo in a niche enough area.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

$5/mo for a droplet on DigitalOcean will get you far

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Docjowles posted:

If anyone cares that much, the article is up on Hacker News. Poster "skuhn" works for the company (and in fact wrote the original blog post) and has thrown up a shitload of responses about their reasoning for going with the iTrashcans.

From what he's saying it kinda makes sense. It just seems like the stupidest thing ever out right, but given that Racklive did the design and build of the holders (so they didn't have to care about that part) and that this has to last just for a depreciation cycle (2-3 years), you can get some good value and money out of it for the time being, especially if

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9502091 posted:

Here's the quick math on cost per gflop, including all network and datacenter costs:
Mac Pro: $5/gflop
EC2 g2.xlarge: $21.19/gflop

You can get a lot further ahead of your competition if their costs are 4x yours (he mentions later down that all their competitors are in EC2).

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

JHVH-1 posted:

Anyone visited the AWS pop up in San Fran ? They are opening one in Manhattan and kinda curious. Like if you can just go and hang out and work, and get input on what your projects are that would be kinda neat.

It's like almost an hour and a half for me to get into the city so it would have to be a day trip or planned around evening activities to make it worth it.

I have, during RSA to attend a lecture on Amzn KMS and to talk to a solutions architect about it. Technically I'm an employee so I don't know how it is for others but it's very much "come down, talk to an SA about your problems and they'll help you for free ". They do events too like all day boot camps and evening seminars. (I'm headed to one this week actually)

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Che Delilas posted:

"Ex-miliatary" in a boss is a huge red flag for me now. It's not enough to completely nix a possible employment opportunity, but if I learn that my potential future boss is ex-military, I'm going to take a much closer, critical look at his mannerisms and personality than I might otherwise. I know this isn't a fair generalization, and I'm sure there are plenty of managers who used to be in the military that actually make the transition to civilian leadership and don't treat their people like fungible, disposable grunts. But I've been down that road, and never again if I can help it.

I have automatic respect for anyone that serves in the military, it's a huge sacrifice if you ask me. But I'm not a soldier, and I don't want a boss that acts like a drill sergeant.

Apparently my boss served in the military which you would never guess from his looks or manners, and it came up in some offhand comment during work banter. So far haven't been yelled at like private joker.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

PTO chat: I have unlimited vacation, sick leave and PTO/WFH as long as my boss approves. Haven't been denied so far but I've only been here for 3 months, been out for a week (more like got told to take a week off to destress) and sick for one.

Acquired startups are weird

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Also if you ever buy cage nuts on their own they usually come with at least one of the tools. I'm surprised so many people in the thread haven't used them. Guess that's virtualization for you. :v:

We have loads of baremetal at work, but I don't need to touch it fortunately. I leave that to our Datacenter Ops team so I can concentrate on what the gently caress, Puppet.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I took Perl and PHP off my CV after getting one too many recruiter ping about them.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

My previous employer had private bathrooms (no stalls), but the TP came in squares like a paper towel dispenser, not on rolls. Current place has stalls and 2-ply.

Honestly a hard decision to make.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

I wish I could easily add SA smilies to my work emails but people might get tired of seeing :frogout:

Too bad Slack doesn't do the sizes like SA does, :staredog: doesn't have the same impact when it's sized down to their size. I've imported a fair number of SA emotes into work Slack and people use a fair bit of them.

RFC2324 posted:

I need to get it and slap it over the apple logo on the company provided MBP.

We are a cloud hosting company, sorta

I work for an Amazon subsidiary and I got a 5-pack for me and my coworkers.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

How would you get to work say in the middle of the night while on call if you're not sober?

VPN.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

I read in the OP that this is a good place for general chit chat IT related. Today one of our racks came in from the integrator, yay!

This doesn't look promising:

The other side looks less so:

Finding out what's inside is easy when the non-removable lid is opened for you:

:stare:

That's definitely happened to us at least once.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

When this happened to me it was really loving annoying because they took six weeks to build and deliver us a new rack and when they had everything all together it still didn't work for another month

Why IBM doesn't just avoid the trouble by not using dog-poo poo discount shippers is beyond me because I guarantee their actuaries are mis-estimating the financial cost of their awful reputation

Yeah we fortunately had another rack destined for another location ready to go at the integrator that we could just deliver to the location where it took a happy little dive off the liftgate, but that had fun knock-on effects for future rollouts.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

:staredog:

I'm glad I don't do datacenter ops at all anymore.

When I did rock'n'roll the first thing I taught people when unloading a truck was to not try and catch something if it's about to fall off the liftgate/ramps (also, if you're 4 people holding something that won't happen). Still didn't stop idiots from trying catch the rigging assembly for a Meyer line array from toppling off the gate with their foot. It looks like , weighs 275 lbs and is transported standing like that on wheels.

luminalflux fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 19, 2015

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

The only real music for drowning out my time on the throne is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOsaYPV9ldM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

I'd love to be a rack monkey and install hardware and route cables all day, but I doubt there's any place that will let me do that without taking a massive pay cut. :(

I'm so happy someone else does this where I work. Like not even "another department", our racks come pre-cabled from the integrator so our datacenter team only has to handle the cross-connects between them.

Edit: degreechat

No degree, couple years of college that I dropped out of. Thankfully I apparently have other skills and managed to get a software dev job that I parlayed into another job where I learned to devops and now I'm in the bay area.

luminalflux fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 30, 2015