Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

pookel posted:

Yeah, he claims to be liberal but is alt-right-adjacent, and he is the Slate Star Codex blogger.
Scott Adams writes Dilbert and has terrible opinions.
There's a third Scott A. who also has terrible opinions, but I can't remember who he is specifically.

Aaronson? He's kind of a weird case in that he does actual research in actually existing computer science, yet somehow he give credence to utter cranks like Yudkowsky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Jack Gladney posted:

He's the guy who said he should get a concubine because he was a sad nerd as a kid and the feminists tried to explain misogyny then instead of coddling him like they should have. Also that either the Ecole Polytechnique shooter or the Santa Barbara killer was justified because those bitches wouldn't put out for a nerd. He teaches at MIT, right?

Was this the same thing as when someone suggested subsidized prostitutes for scientists (to free up the time they spend trying to meet women so they can do more research) or was that some other jackass?

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

Hillary Clinton was talking about the Alt-Right when she said half of Trump's supporters were a "basket of deplorables" right?
Or was she talking about the other deplorable people that have rallied to his banner? It's hard to keep straight which group of his supporters falls under what descriptor these days. Especially since the internet started leaking into the public sphere, what with the whole Alt Right being talked about by network news anchors.

Yeah, it feels to me like it's part of her effort to court the "normal" Republicans who are freaking out about Trump, as though they're going to give up on decades of hating her just like that.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

I would read the poo poo out of an Ask/Tell thread about AI research, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

MC Nietzche posted:

Look at this poo poo:

https://twitter.com/rabite/status/775506596759736320

A not-smallish part of me hopes Aurenheimer dies in a cage like an animal.

Isn't he living in some shithole disputed territory in Eastern Europe? I don't think it's the people who aren't exiled from the First World that are owned here.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

GunnerJ posted:

How does PZ Meyers fit into this?

By getting in a Twitter spat with an ex-LF poster, apparently.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

He was having a slapfight about something incredibly pointless with Sam Kriss (a.k.a. Red Ken) recently.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Peztopiary posted:

Well, y'all have bigger dicks, are more physically powerful, and winning the centuries long clash of races that has been whites dominating blacks. Those are pretty much the three things nearest and dearest (aside from racism) to a racist's heart, and their own belief system requires them to be losing (which is how they explain that they are losing, if we were all racists obviously we'd be winning).

It's all part of the Hahnreistoßlegende.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

divabot posted:

the stations of the crass

Nice.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

ate all the Oreos posted:

No you see Trump is actually an energy being created by the metaphysical interaction of SJW's on the political morphogenetic field and is in fact a being made of pure anti-feminism particles

I would put money down that at least one weirdo has tried to make a tulpa for the sole purpose of arguing with it.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Also I don't remember anyone in this thread ever even hinting or joking about doxing rev, did that actually happen?

I'm sure someone posted "wait, who's this rear end in a top hat" at some point, which I guess someone who's devoted their life to being stupid and disingenuous full-time could interpret as a suggestion to dox him. Now, do we know anyone like that?

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Race Realists posted:

really wish you stopid libtards would stop projecting your racism. they dont hate blacks or think they're inferior at all

they just, dont want to be around them is all :shepface:

cuz they bring down property values [insert crime statistics followed with scientific racism here]

EDIT: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/783347230245736448

"I follow lots of women on Instagram" doesn't quite mean what you think it means, Elon.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

PYF Dark Enlightenment Thinker:

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Who are these people and why on earth should anyone care

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I do have direct evidence from personal experience that cruising for a gang bang from males that are low status in the ostensible male hierarchy is alarmingly common behavior among hot chicks

"I never hosed a ten, but I hosed five twos!"

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Thanks, I feel like I can laugh at this on a much higher level now. Has there been an "ask me about wiki administration" thread before?

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's Vox Day not white though. Isn't he one of those minorities who think they're an acception somehow.

He's one of those "totally white until I need a race card to play" guys.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

sleeptalker posted:

They only need to reach the layer where anime is real.

Those fools! They're going in the wrong direction!

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

I suppose if someone was going to try and claim that the Nazis weren't fascist enough, this would be the person and time for it.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Looooll those guys managed to get people from actual academia to pay attention to them for five seconds and they loudly whined about how evil leftist academia was for criticizing them, and then said people STOPPED paying attention to them and they started whining about how evil leftist academia was for not criticizing them http://rightlyconsidered.org/2016/10/11/the-futile-beyond-the-pale-strategy/

The bio page for these guys is incredible.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Each one of them is incredible in their own right. They're like the TLO of ultraconservatives.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

gentle pete posted:

If you’re a “Nazi Fur,” you’ve probably heard multiple times that, congratulations, you too would be gassed by the Fuehrer. I think I’ve heard this line like a dozen times. Most of the people who say this are what I like to call “victims of public education”; people with a vulgar-level of history who, for some reason, seem to think they know everything about The Third Reich. But even people who aught to know better, such as folks on the alt-right, sometimes still buy into the ‘Madison Avenue’ image of Hitler gassing people willy-nilly and ordering groups of people killed off simply because.

Are there a lot of mentally ill people in the Furry fandom? Yes, there certainly are. I don’t think that’s a secret to anyone. These people do need treatment, in my opinion, and in the Third Reich, some of them would simply be put to sleep for good or placed in a concentration camp until they straightened themselves out. But it’s a huge logical leap to assume that the Fuehrer would therefore categorize all Furries as ‘mentally ill.’ That’s not really thinking, that’s just “animating” Hitler to make yourself feel like the moral majority.

I mean, he's probably right that most furries wouldn't be executed for being mentally ill.

Most of them would be executed for sexual degeneracy instead.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

By "japan's great authors" I assume he means "The guy who draws tentacle hentai mangas that are so good they bring a tear to my eye"

Well, that and Mishima.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

eschaton posted:

The only song that mentions where I grew up is by Tom Waits.

I'm so sorry.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/severnayazemlya/153606228403

It turns out the secret justification here was that John Darnielle interacted with some ex-LF weird twitter people once.

From one of the comments on that:

quote:

my Hot Take is that leftists hate lw so much bc it's one of the only places where cool people still believe in ~traditional ~liberal values like "intellectual open mindedness" and "things are generally getting better"

Less Wrong Dot Com, noted hangout for cool people.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Also "REMOVE KEBAB" was a meme from five or six years ago, and as we've seen over and over again, these people are in fact stupid enough to derive their political beliefs from crusty old memes.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Fututor Magnus posted:

What do you expect when the last word you say in class before dropping out is "Moldbug" and you skip classes you think aren't racist and sexist enough?

"Moldbug"

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

I, too, am superficially cool, but unbearably pozzed on the inside.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Ah, not sure where I got that idea then. Something new to read!

I can see how one could get that from the name, since it's an ironic reference to an MRA talking point of the sort the site mocks (the original name for the site was "Manboobz").

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Cingulate posted:

Is that a Milo avatar!?
IIRC he was hoping for Trump to destroy the US. I wonder how he secretly feels about the Bush 3.0 Trump is currently mutating into.

If the guy has any actual beliefs outside of hucksterism, he's done a real good job of hiding the evidence.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

My favourite is 'solve everything about urban housing'

By appointing Matt Yglasias, a man who knows about as much about housing as Grover.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Wait, now I remember why the idea of putting Matt Yglesias in charge of housing is so hilarious to me:

quote:

I once attended a public talk Yglesias gave on housing policy to promote on his (62-page) book The Rent Is Too drat High. Yglesias was placed in conversation with Yale Law School professor Robert Ellickson, a bona fide expert on housing and zoning with approximately four decades of experience in the field. Goodness knows why anyone thought to pair the two up, as Ellickson is notoriously grumpy and does not suffer fools with much equanimity. The discussion was one of the most satisfying I have seen. Ellickson clearly had no idea who Yglesias was, and took pleasure in ripping Yglesias’ pamphlet to shreds for its basic economic ignorance. Ellickson practically pondered aloud why a frivolous 20-something blogger was being treated as an expert on housing, pointing out the numerous ways in which Yglesias’ arguments were flimsy and ill-considered.

But watching Ellickson flay Yglesias, I was most struck by the fact that Yglesias was completely unfazed. Far from being ashamed at his humiliating defeat, Yglesias did not even seem to acknowledge that he was even being defeated or humiliated. He didn’t attempt to defend himself. He just… kept talking, as if the numerous arguments that had been made proving him wrong simply didn’t exist.

One good charlatan deserves another I suppose.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

There certainly was a time when "social justice warrior" was lefty-speak for "you're not wrong, you're just an rear end in a top hat," but that was quite a few years ago at this point.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

GlassElephant posted:

Want to paste it here?

"I don’t use 4chan but reliable sources have informed me that it’s p much a LGBT support group"

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Fututor Magnus posted:

lowtax won't release that info, rightfully so I think. in any case, I think most people realize that the people who spend :10bux: on redtext avatars are usually a lot crazier than the recipients.

IIRC it's not directly tracked at all and the only way to figure it out is to check server logs and compare IPs. Or at least that's how it was explained the last time this came up.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Josef bugman posted:

Both are loving tiny groups of people, why is this person so concerned by this?

I'm going with, "Hasn't had a single new thought since 2009."

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

The original "im gay" shitpost!

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

I'm actually a bit impressed that they managed to write an ode to the ascendant cultural right without providing a single example of relevant right-wing culture.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Neon Noodle posted:

I just spent a fair amount of time going through that person's tweets and I am so confused. They used to be reactionary but now they are a Maoist nonbinary transperson? Does this involve tumblr somehow :psyduck:

You can really tell when the impostor took over the account after the blimp accident.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

I don't know, I can definitely think of some people I've met who volunteer specifically to support their self-image of "good person" while not actually being a good person. You can tell because they'll whip it out as their equivalent of a black friend in arguments

That specific crew was all about purchasing indulgences, at least early on when they thought they still had a chance to shape the image people had of them. It tapered off once everyone knew what their deal was, ~for some reason~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

divabot posted:

Oh, Yudkowsky's Arbital team has finally given up on it, except Yudkowsky's still using it as his serious writing platform. So the front page is now a "coming soon" for the planned microblogging platform.

From the comments:

quote:

It seems that while you haven't achieved your full goals, you have created a system that Eliezer is happy with, which is of non-zero value in itself (or, depending on what you think of MIRI, the AI alignment problem etc., of very large value).

It was a failure, but it was fine because it made Leader happy. (Cultishness? In my Less Wrong?)

Elsewhere, it looks like the Thiel Foundation stopped giving to MIRI a few years back. Guess you don't need to bother buying the favor of weird cranks when instead you can buy the favor of a weird crank that's also the president.