Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

A Catastrophe posted:

Yeah but I mean it's in the ballpark, at least. There aren't any really solid 4elikes out yet, although just herabouts we have Jimbozig working on sacred BBQ, I think another guy mentioned he's going to keep going with his contest game in the previous thread?

hi guys i am new to this forum what do you guys do here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

IT IS FINISHED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4uvS9l-FcQ

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Greetings TG. PLease unban Liesmith and make him mod of this forum.

Liesmith was neither permaed nor banned by me, he can come back whenever.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

DalaranJ posted:

Hey, anyone have any experience running The One Ring (Adventures Over the Edge of the Wild)? My friend lent me his copy and it's really, well, I think I'm gonna need some surgery, because this poo poo is extremely my heartbreaker.

I like it a lot, it does a lot to capture what those first two books felt like. The corruption system may be the best implementation of an insanity system I have ever seen. ANything specific about it?

LightWarden posted:

I don't suppose we can have the old grognards.txt v2 thread back from the mod farm, either letting it loose into the Purgatory forum or just letting it back into the archives?

One, you are kinda creepy for wanting to dig that back up. Like, really. Two, archive is archived, which means if it is archived in the secret moved forum too, which means it is stuck there forever. Thank radium, I guess.

Tendales posted:

Winston Paine is the name of a character in esteemed vidya game Phoenix Attorneyman, and we can't have mods that are violating copyright right in their names, now, can we?

You know, I didn't know that until like last year. I had wondered why it came up.

Waffleman_ posted:

Winston Paine is also a pun.

Present Tense > Past Tense

Arivia posted:

Also a question for our mod emeritus: why isn't it Winston? Who the gently caress is Winson Paine anyway?

IS YOUR FORUMS NAME YOUR ELFGAME DUDE LIKE US

It is a pun, yeah. Back in college my characters had a lot of pun names, so Winson Paine, bounty hunter was born. When I finally regged for SA I had my old star wars poo poo nearby and needed something to type in the USERNAME field.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Libertad! posted:

Considering that the reason I believe it was put there was due to someone doxxing a grog-quoted guy, I think it's gonna remain under lock and key.

That and like, archived poo poo can't be modified. It has come up before with wanting to goldmine older threads and stuff. Can't edit posts in the archives, can't move threads from it.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

zen death robot posted:

It wouldn't be much of an archive if you could change it after all.

This is a very good way of thinking about it.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Ettin posted:

Hey guys:

Kai_Tave suggested TG could use a "self-publishing advice and discussion" thread (layout software, publishing tools, maybe how to Kickstart if that wouldn't overlap with the KS thread), and/or a thread about how to get freelance work making games.

I feel both threads would need a stronger opening post than I can be bothered giving them right now, though, so I am putting out a CALL. Any tradgoons who think TG could use such a thread and are able to write a solid OP, please do!

Good luck, I asked for this thread for like two years and no one made it. MAYBE Y'ALL WILL MAKE IT FOR THE NEW GUY.

Actually, I hope so. That would be a neat thread.

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah I've gotten a lot of good advice from TG, but it's been scattered around on three or four different threads, having a single dedicated place to discuss and consolidate info would be great. If nobody else has the bandwidth to make such a thread I'll do it, I just feel like a lot of my info is still theory until I've actually put it into practice myself.

Try it anyway, maybe use it as a LIVEBLOG for your KS experience. OH NO, TAXES. OH MY UNEXPECTED NONSENSE. And so on. People could follow your THRILLING KS DRAMA. Plus it would totes boost signal on the KS itself.

Forums Terrorist posted:

thought this was don quioxte for a second

winson irl, reading his gurps collection for dming ideas

THis picture owns hard.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Lynx Winters posted:

13th Age rules one adventuring day as four normal-difficulty battles. After battles you get a short rest to use your recoveries (healing surges or whatever) but if you want your big poo poo back you need to press on and go be heroes instead of narcoleptic bookworms.

It is also worth noting that the end of day thing is a narrative thing for 13A, not like a set 8 hour nap or whatever. So it could be a night on the town drinking, or a reflective moment where you think about all the goblins you slaughtered, or a slow walk out of the exploding dungeon in the background.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

agreed zak and pundit are probbo on the right considering what i have seen

You are not even trying anymore. Geeze, you get let back in the chat thread and post like this. A shameful, shameful plutonis.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hey look what I found at the game store today.

Did you pick it up? It is maybe my favorite RPG book ever.

A Catastrophe posted:

Wait, you're rollin with gau? drat you cover some real estate, what's next a guest blog on shotgaming

I am weeping with joy

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Zurui posted:

Okay, dumb question time...

Why do really old forum games have numbers at the top of the posts?

It was the old posting convention; it actually sort of helped with pacing and such for some games. DanSTC made not using it probatable because that was weird, and it sort of hung on for awhile after that. I found it useful for organizing large games or for games that had like, a time lapse requirement for recharging abilities or whatever.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Found some of the quotes from one of the deleted blogs about our beloved new mod:

quote:

He tasks me; he heaps me; I see in him outrageous strength, with an inscrutable malice sinewing it. That inscrutable thing is chiefly what I hate; and be the white whale agent, or be the white whale principal, I will wreak that hate upon him. Talk not to me of blasphemy, man; I'd strike the sun if it insulted me.

quote:

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil, to crazy Zak, were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Ettin. He piled upon the mod's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Tollymain posted:

what doesn't wear shoes and goes "boooooo"

the ghost of suzannah dean

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Tollymain posted:

huck finn at the opera

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Tollymain posted:

a cow with a speech impediment

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Tollymain posted:

yogi bear starting to look for his friend

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Tollymain posted:

a kazoo

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Tollymain posted:

a hobbit trying to startle someone

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Cassa posted:

$2000 and still no one has answered any questions.

I will answer questions at this point.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

FactsAreUseless posted:

What does your username mean?

It is generally the reaction people have to my posts.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Swagger Dagger posted:

Do you think I should teach my 2 year old nephew GURPS now or wait until he's like 4?

I started early, the payoff is worth it.

Tekopo posted:

Do you really, REALLY like Phoenix Wright games?

I hadn't heard of them till like two years ago. They are for Nintendo or something so my chances of playing are nil.

grassy gnoll posted:

What happened to your avatar?

I have no idea, that is funny. The odd part is I think I know the title they were bitching about and I actually did change it eventually.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

I am glad I waited till today to donate, tho. It made it easier. In honor of the wounded fellow who got me this AV, I increased my donation by the five bucks it would have cost to get a new one. In honor of my fallen Mick Foley AV, I sent it to RAINN.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

fatherdog posted:

Think of whatever the most complicated melee combat system you've ever played was. Was that not complicated enough for you? If so, Riddle of Steel is probably a good buy. If not, no.

Have you heard the good news about GURPS TECHNICAL GRAPPLING?

Because I have not.

Also thankee to whoever got me Dude Love, it is good times.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Evil Sagan posted:

Is the TMNT game any good? Because that sounds amazing.

It is probably the most playable of any of the Palladium line.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Tollymain posted:

it is possible and ok to have fun with bad rpgs while playing with good people, as long as you don't mistake the game itself for the source of the fun

All the loving hand wringing and apologizing over people playing things that other people don't like is ridiculous, yo.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

potatocubed posted:

It's basically nonfunctional 'out of the box' - to get the most out of it use it as a source of character inspiration and port the whole thing across to a different system.

I'm most pleased with the ability to be an elephant - no opposable thumbs, walks on all fours, just a regular elephant - who also knows kung fu.

The Bio-E system was fairly elegant for Palladium and still holds up well(ish) now, I think. It is direct and to the point and yeah you can make a porcupine ninja which is boss. It worked OK for Palladium since it was more or less all basic attacks against SDC; no magic, limited psionics, not a ton of stuff that usually renders that system totally awful. Chargen was kind of a nightmare outside bio-e, tho. To keep it in system you pretty much had to just houserule chargen into whatever you wanted for that game or you got a player who was feral and could not wear pants next to like, a muskrat with six PHDs who is also a ninja.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

WindmillSlayer posted:

It's really nice :3:

Also I've got another question, what the quality like on the drivethrurpg prints? I kinda wanna get a physical edition of a few books.

It depends. They do some good work, but other people have gotten wierdnesses like the wrong cover or getting second books inside their existing covers or whatever. They are close to the only game in town for a lot of POD, so it is not like you have a real choice for printing of some stuff.

• Locked thread