Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I just put you on ignore. cheers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

You Am I posted:

Dunno, Vic Labor has copped a hiding this week over the handling of the stolen dictaphone from an Age journalist which contained and interview with Ted Baillieu.

Hmm I actually haven't heard about that.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Yeah I had a look for it afterwards, I guess my point is it's not being splashed out there and the majority of voters probably will never hear about it.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Cartoon posted:

When I saw the SMH today I was initially happy that finally we might step back from BOATS! but I quickly realised this was just going to increase the racist poo poo fighting.

Remember how NTATA is all about jobs and fixing things so there'd be more jobs and dirty dole bludgers need to be getting one our newly minted jobs!

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/6202.0

Unemployment 12 year high.

Thanks NTATA you loving cretin.

A noted twelve year high due to unprecedented growth in the 15-19yo demographic. Apparently more teens are registering as actively looking for work because of anxiety around proposed changes to newstart!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

You Am I posted:

Victorian Liberals are loving over their Coalition mates the Nationals by fielding a candidate for the safe Nats seat of Euroa.

Nats are mad about it, but not mad enough to leave the Coalition

This happens at least once every state and federal election. They are every so slightly being squeezed and they sit there and take it.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Gough Suppressant posted:

In all seriousness though, the nats are probably worried that if they split from the coalition, it might mean people examine who they are voting for for the first time, and upon doing so realise that the nationals have not done poo poo for farmers in 50 years.

They could just split and say "we've been led astray by the libs, you can trust us to look after rural Australia!" and people will still vote for them because the alternatives ate ~worse~.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Cartoon posted:

OK AusPolers, in researching our Russian Trade debarcle I came across something that is fascinating. Now the embargo is only on 'produce' but our trade with Russia is almost entirely (Imports to Australia) Crude Oil ~ 1 Billion per annum.

Our exports are mainly produce but nearly half is:

"Confidential Items of Trade" to the tune of ~ 0.5 Billion P/A.

This is a real brain teaser. I did some poking and found:

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/5372.0.55.001

"5372.0.55.001 - International Merchandise Trade: Confidential Commodities List, Jun 2014" - Which only deepens the mystery.

http://www.dfat.gov.au/trade/australias-trade-at-a-glance/g20.html Is the best I could find on the DFAT site, but it lists our trade as $738 Million and if you add up the items listed you come up 291 million short. Going the other way you get a much more believable 50 Million (As in there are other sundry items that don't get a separate listing that make up 50 million).

:tinfoil:

So what are we secretly exporting to the Russian Federation to the tune of ~0.5 Billion per annum. I had a guess at bank notes but that doesn't seem to work. Uranium exports don't seem to work out either. Some sort of financial instrument?

The truth is out there!

Confidential Commodities can be such exciting things as:

quote:

034.28 Other frozen fish (specifically tooth fish) A,B from Oct 2003
041.1 Unmilled durum wheat B, C from Jul 1988
041.2 Unmilled wheat and meslin B, C from Dec 1991
042 Rice (selected varieties) A, B Various
043 Unmilled barley B latest 6 months only
045.2 Unmilled oats B from Jul 1993
057.79 Edible nuts n.e.s. (specifically macadamia nuts) B From Mar 2000
061.11 Sugar (raw cane) A available on a quarterly basis after a 6 month lag
081.13 Lupins (incl. feed for animals during a voyage) A latest 6 months only
081.99 Prepared stock feeds and preparations of a kind used in animal feeding nes C from Apr 2001
112.3 Beer made from malt A,B Various
268.11 Wool, greasy shorn C from Apr 2007
268.21 Other wool degreased C from Apr 2007
268.29 Other wool carbonized C from Apr 2007
273.31 Silica and quartz sands C from Jul 1999
278.3 Salt A from Mar 2008
284.21 Nickel mattes A from Jul 1988
285.2 Alumina (aluminium oxide) B* from Jul 1988
286.1 Uranium ores B from May 1989
286.2 Thorium ores B from Nov 2002
287.83 Titanium ores and concentrates (eg rutile) A, B Quantity data released on a 6 month basis
287.84 Zirconium ores and concentrates A, B Various
287.85 Tantalum ores and concentrates A, B from Jul 2001
287.99 Base metal ores and concentrates nes A, B from Jul 2000
288.10 Slag, ash and residues ( specifically tantalum glass) B from Jan 2002

http://www.dfat.gov.au/publications/stats-pubs/confidentiality-in-australian-merchandise-export-statistics.pdf

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Like there seems to be really odd reasons to be on that list. eg. source country is suppressed for macadamia nuts. Why? Why does that matter? LPG apparently is always suppressed for individual country statistics and only overall world trade is shown.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Cartoon posted:

That's why I asked here. Thanks for the prompt answer.

Yeah I don't understand the why's of it though. I'm not a master economist like JH

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Hey I heard you're a union stooge. C/D?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

quote:

Dr Lauren Rosewarne, a senior lecturer at Melbourne University's school of social and political sciences, said it was impossible for the Liberal Party to control its message in the era of social media.

Nah I think they did a pretty good job of it.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Amethyst posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-06/coles-woolworths-preparing-to-enter-home-loans-market/5653288

Can't wait for the day the ALP and LNP are replaced by the Coles and Woolworths parties.

From that :

quote:

"Customers who drink lots of milk and eat lots of red meat are very, very, very good car insurance risks versus those who eat lots of pasta and rice, fill up their petrol at night and drink spirits," she said.

"What that means is we're able to tailor an insurance offer that targets those really good insurance risk customers and give them a good deal ... and it helps to avoid the bad insurance risks."

Woah.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tirade posted:

Thanks for pointing that out, I kinda skimmed over it. I'm absolutely fascinated / horrified by what you can do with large data sets. It's got similar ramifications for electioneering. Our only saving grace is that it will be the left that capitalizes on it before the right.

Soon: Coles health insurance. Premiums go up for every kilo of chocolate you buy in a year. What's that? You bought wine for your pasta sauce? Sure..... $$$$

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I've been meaning to ask this for ages, What the gently caress is a NTATA

Cartoon is gonna be mad.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I've been on the mobile app exclusively for a while and just noticed I have a new custom title.

Noted Labor supporter, Gough Suppressant.

edit: it was probably an intern, loving scabs.

I asked you about it a few pages ago too!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I just assumed you'd been on the piss.

That would usually be fair, but I think it was like 9am.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

ewe2 posted:

Are my sausages lefty or is it the coffee?

From memory it's on a scale of caviar to quinoa.

Snags and coffee are middle ground, unless it's organic, free range or free trade.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Anyone( edit: in a developed nation) who claims to be a leftist and eats quinoa should be shot

Yeah the caviar was for the leftists.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

bell jar posted:

We'll have another one at some point. I never have any money these days to afford that poo poo. If someone else organises one though (Sisgmund??) I'll rock up

I said recently I might try and organise the next one, it might mean that I'd have to attend then.

Was gonna see when coq was down next.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Jonah Galtberg posted:

I know all these things - my failing was (and always has been) that I get too worked up when I hear someone saying vile poo poo to be able to think of anything in reply except 'get hosed'.

I do this too, all the stuff I could spew out at them just disappears in that instant.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Brown Paper Bag posted:

She looks less like a Islamist sympathiser and more like a pro wrestler there.

It's the Ultimate Warrior!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

What's wrong with them? Besides being in QLD I mean.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Haters Objector posted:

*Don't engage IWC
*Religion can sometimes be cool and lead to positive social benefit, and sometimes it does not.
*Australia is a worse international citizen than Japan
*Death Is Certain
*Fart

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i got banned posted:

Is religious chat over? This is worse than loving helmet chat.

I thought it was a good read but it made me scared because I agreed with a stack of stuff Jonah said.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Also can everyone please stop having tantrums about replying to IWC. If you don't like the conversation don't loving read it. If you don't like IWC just loving ignore him. Stop trying to police discussion in a thread in the debate and discussion forum you fascists.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Gentleman Baller posted:

Labors charismatic leaders have always had great insults and imaginative wit. Maybe Bill has been chatting with some of them.

I think he (or a staffer) has just had some time to prepare the speech. I haven't seen anything exciting from him yet off the cuff, but I don't watch question time so :shrug:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Kommando posted:

This cut is the same price as 0.87 F35's.

That's another infographic

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Soag posted:

im starting to think he has some value in knocking down the more deluded poo poo that the libs come out with (which is exactly the senate's role), but dont think he has the book-smarts to come up with good policy but it doesnt matter bc he's ind senator rather thna membr of govt

i think a lot of the hositlity came from the fact that he's got the balance of power and people were envisioning nightmare scenarios where he would pass the lib's bill to introduce mandatory sterilisation for poors, in exchange for making the speed limit in the nullabor 200km/h

The media and swathes of the public don't care about policy as much as a simple sound bite or 'gotcha'.

People were just anxious about him because he was an unknown.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Soag posted:

this

and also the guy who threw a shoe on QandA but he dead :(

Wow that's excessive, it was just a shoe.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Twitter was saying that it was clearly the fault of the driver, I dunno.

Honestly, the fact this is even a thing is dumb.

edit: To clarify, the fact internet people are debating whose fault it is.

hambeet fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 15, 2014

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Endman posted:

There's something poetic about Hockey's comments, the budget and a photo of his car parked in a handicap space. But really it would be dumb and pointless to make it into a "thing".

I was specifically referring to the fact that internet warriors are arguing over whether it's Hockeys or the drivers fault. Altogether the package is slightly amusing. Drawing each individual part of it out to scrutinize and debate isn't.

edit:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The guy probably doesn't earn much, and hence isn't used to driving.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Nuclear Spy posted:

Just started watching this series, bloody brilliant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHQRZXM-4xI

I rarely watch youtubes in this thread. I watched this because you, Nuclear Spy, linked it. It's pretty funny.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Scylo posted:

Last month we had Garnaut singing Bishop's praises, earlier this month there was a news limited piece praising her and now we have Hartcher doing the same thing. No idea why they all keep writing this.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/julie-bishop-a-firm-gaze-and-straight-talk-from-an-unflappable-foreign-minister-20140815-104nca.html

"To make us all look much better in comparison"

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Fruity Gordo posted:

Don't do it, in no universe would it be worth it and religious orgs usually have abysmal corporate cultures.

Some parts of the Salvos don't do supervision with staff, they pray instead. 'Dear Lord, let us hope that that Cleretic has the strength to turn up to work on time, or failing that, spends his newly found free time on updating his resume'.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Your prime minister is loving retarded. He just gave us in the UK a lecture on how Scotland's independence is against freedom and justice, as if the Scottish were a bunch of a terrorists or something. He literally said those who voted for independence 'were not the friends of freedom and justice'. Christ.

I endorse this post.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I'm just impressed they went to the effort to localise spelling and even find an appropriate picture for the left, but they left the Ground Zero WTC thing in. Couldn't find an appropriate picture of Bendigo?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Splode posted:

I'm annoyed they implied that Swanny is both leading the revolution and also saying 'let them eat cake' :spergin::hf::spergin:

*Fact Check*

Half Arsed!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

VicPol are launching a 5 day blitz against Melbourne cyclists, targeting those who break road rules or don't wear helmets.

the day after i ask about a bike! Cartoon is behind this I just know it. :argh:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

No but you see privatising them is what made them successful#

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Captain Pissweak posted:

Good to know laws are only meant to apply to me if I think they should.

Which government made riding without a helmet illegal?

This is important.

• Locked thread