Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Surlaw posted:

I bet he never even blew up action figures or shot guns at video game machines like the Smart and Cool posters of the Something Awful games forum.

Someone on a video games forum is defending justin bieber. Well now i've seen it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Can soundbars do HD sound

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

To quote Dave Chappelle "drat Look at those titties!". So you're stuck with the 4 dudes the whole game? I admit, one of the things that makes FF2/4 my favorite of the series is the fact your party is dictated by story, not your whims. You cannot just use 3/4/5 characters and just use them the whole game, it makes you think about how you play, becuase sometimes you have an crew of complete bad asses that destroy everything, and others your stuck with one fighter and everyone else is middling mages.

Ugh glad I am going to stick to these on PS3. They don't look too bad plus they're super cheap. And Black Flag is on PS4, and that's the pirates, Rogue is the lovely game that causes Ubisoft to put out 2 lovely games rather than one decent one, though Unity after patches and stuff is a lot of fun, but then I love the French Revolution.

AC Rogue is not lovely, it's a good game and it's much better and cooler than Unity.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAA_(video_game_industry)

None of those qualify as AAA games. I'm not chuffed though, I like those games.

I don't think chuffed means what you think it means

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Guw posted:

Maybe it's because I don't play to many normy games or I was excited to see PS Pro options but I just beat RotTR and was very happy with it. I'll probably even pop it in to collect the 8512011 collectibles that I missed strewn about and play around with the DLC stuff.

It's a great game, I just wish there were even more challenge tombs.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Lobok posted:

The only time I've ever noticed it is Gravity Rush Remastered. If any other game has used it I didn't hear.

Tomb Raider uses it, so does Mad Max that i've played.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Are there any good racing games on the PlayStation 4?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm totally getting Patapon. I was pretty good at it but there was one part I couldn't ever pass because the UMD kept trying to load something in the middle of one particular drill, causing a delay, causing me to instafail.

I still love the fact that there was a handheld system that uses optical discs. Such a flawed but cool idea. I still use my PSP and UMDs sometimes.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I'm wanting a fun arcadey open world racer just to have some casual fun with blast around some races here and there and customize some cars, are either Need for Speed or the Crew even half decent for these purposes given my low demands?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Killzone Mercenary is great and the best possible shooter experience that you can have on a mobile device, for what that's worth. It's also good in its own right with fluid gameplay, adaptable levels with several challenges and ways to play. The multiplayer was really fun and the only multi shooter on any console that i've enjoyed. Don't know if anyone's still playing but you can use bots. Highly recommend the game.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
If you don't have a PS4 and you want one to play PS4 games and you don't have a 4K TV the slim will be fine, especially if you're getting a good deal on it.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I finally got a PS4 recently and just have to say the best thing about it is remote play which is just about the coolest thing ever.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
64 platinums jesus christ

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
There's a good deal on PSN for the Saints Row IV package and the Metro Redux games in one bundle, are any of those fun or worth playing at this point? I like open world type deals and I don't mind FPS single player campaigns

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

ethanol posted:

World of final fantasy - why did I pay $60 for this ps1 game?? It's fun though but I feel like it's going to not sustain

Why did they release this at the same time as FFXV?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
LBP 3 is not bad and if you think it is that's a weird opinion.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
What's so bad about the Order 1886/ what happened with its development? I haven't played it but all Ready at Dawn's PSP games were excellent, very high quality games.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

89 posted:

Just finished Rise of the Tomb Raider.

That's it?

Was fun, but I enjoyed the first one much more. I beat the game and apparently only went through 60% of it. So I guess there's a bunch of tombs to go back to. But I mostly played it for the story missions.

I thought Rise was much better. Somewhat less focus on combat with more puzzles, tombs and exploration. And the combat was helped with the bomb making which was fun.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One of the better parts of Rise is they're just running with Lara giving zero fucks about lighting Trinity guys on fire with napalm arrows or just sneaking up and murdering them with a knife.

I like how Lara is able to make a proximity poison cloud bomb in a dead body on the fly.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

lol i did exactly the same thing. hopefully the 3rd game by different devs can do better

Judging a game by its final boss is a bit silly. I had no problem from when the knight enemies showed up, fighting them was fine and it's cool when they burn up, the lost city is cool etc. Hopefully Crystal Dynamics make the next game since they've done a pretty good job with the last 5 games.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Mad Max is a good game with lots of content.

Arkham Knight is a good game with lots of moves and features. I liked the Batmobile because it is a big part of being Batman in my opinion. Yes there are too many tank battles, yes the stealth tank bits are annoying. But overall the Batmobile is a fun part of the game.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Mad Max would have been decent if the open world progression wasn't game ruiningly bad.

Not sure what you mean. I guess the scrap collecting and camp takeovers and all that could get repetitive. But I enjoyed it enough and there was enough variation to keep my attention so I did a fair bit of the optional stuff. I think you could get by doing the bare minimum but the main missions would be a little tough if you didn't level up a bit.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Mad Max definitely echoes Just Cause 2 where it was loads of repetitive gameplay with a couple of stand out parts. Like the buried airport is pretty neat but it is also just one mission and you don't get to explore it or go back.

Theres a side mission or two at the airport after that

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

fit em all up in there posted:

How's Resident Evil 4 run on PS4 ? I have been itching to play it again

This about covers it: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-resident-evil-4-remastered-face-off

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

cubicle gangster posted:

I've checked out gameplay videos and looked up what I can but I still don't understand or get gravity rush at all. It's baffling to me how much it gets talked about on this forum.
I also feel the same about the small crew that can fill up entire pages of the ps4 thread talking about weird Japanese dating/rythm games that cost hundreds of dollars.

Ff15 was incredible and I can't wait to play the nier demo tomorrow.

Yeah I guess playing it might help you understand?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

ShutteredIn posted:

The Crew is bad don't buy The Crew.

I bought the Crew and i'm enjoying it and putting some decent hours into it. It's got a vast map, huge amount of content and variety of racing so it's good value. I only bought it recently so I gather there's been various improvements and expansions since launch. If there's a better open world arcade racer on PS4 i'd love to know about it. Took a little bit to get used to the car handling but all classes do handle differently. Obviously if you want a serious racing game avoid it

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I've got €30 in my Paypal.... Rise of Tomb Raider????

Yeah if you liked the first one this one builds on that, similarly good with slightly less of a focus on combat but giving you more options (bomb crafting) for combat. Lots to do, and doesn't have open world bloat because of the relatively compact and well designed environments.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

spudsbuckley posted:

Loved the first one and hated the second one for pretty much the exact reasons you listed.

Once i encountered the open world and side quests i abandoned it fairly quickly. Boring rote poo poo that too many games do.

I'm so over most open world stuff. It's really lazy design to just put in a big map with a bunch of side-quest icons and hope that emergent gameplay happens for the player to fill in the gaps.

Give me a tight, well produced campaign mode without all the bullshit padding and i'm happy.

Bizarre. You can easily run though Rise's campaign while ignoring the open world elements. The campaign is linear, well designed and you are totally free to just run through it like it's Uncharted if you please. It's not even really an open world - it's a series of small connected hub areas. There are optional challenge tombs which are fun and a highlight of Tomb Raider. There are a handful of 100% optional side missions. Then there are the challenges and collectibles which are just there like most games have and clearly free to ignore. I found it to be a well designed game with the added "padding" if you want more stuff to do. Totally do not get this complaint.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Basically every other Ubi game lately has been completely my jam though.

Watch Dogs 2 is taking all my time lately, i'm enjoying it way more than I thought I would. It's fantastic, so many cool tricks and gadgets, different routes and possible strategies for the missions, tons of content. And the online mode is unique and fun.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I didn't get decent at sliding until like, the end of the game and I felt like it was a failure on the games part more than anything. It was just so janky. I still couldn't do a bunch of those trials (vita version obviously)

I was playing it the other day trying some of the slide races, the trick is when you take one finger off to turn sharply, you stop moving forward altogether so you are free to aim your turn precisely then put the other finger back on to get going. When the sliding control clicks for you it's not too bad at all. Getting golds is a breeze

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

Im actually kind of excited to play it. We don't get too many coop stealth games these days

Watch dogs 2 has fun little co op missions. Though stealth is not on the mind of most players. Someone else can join a mission you have started solo and you have an intricate stealth plan in motion and they just alert everyone within 2 seconds

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Watch dogs 2 has just about the most unenjoyable stealth mechanics I have ever seen in a game. They are beyond grating.

You need to use the phone hack distraction, that's your bread and butter. Couple that with a one hit stun gun, environmental traps and and an all seeing scout flying drone, which you can also use hacking abilities with, your stealth abilities become pretty powerful.

acksplode posted:

It's dumb that that WD2 has the shape and feel of a cover stealth shooter when it's way less interesting and fun to play that way.

I don't see it that way at all. It's a stealth game, with guns if you really want to use them.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

It's a lot of fun when you are just using hacking mechanics and the open world is great. Everything about it being a shooter drags it down.

You literally do not have to shoot anyone the whole game.

Also just go to the top of the boat and run over to the server, that's it. Assuming you worked out how to put it on the elevator.

Wandle Cax fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 4, 2017

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Just go to the top of the boat and run over to the server you will hook it up to the big drone automatically.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Who cares about video game endings. It's about the journey not the destination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

BonoMan posted:

I too am a fan of stories that have unsatisfactory endings

Seriously though a video game story just has to provide a compelling reason to go about playing the game, i'm not playing it to see what happens at the end

• Locked thread