Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I've always been so bad at this game, but I managed to drag my sorry rear end into town & get my firewood quest before logging off last night. Feels pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Ep 2 has much, much higher highs than ep 1 but take the worst parts of ep 1 and stick them in mystery lake and wow it sucks real bad.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Catalina posted:

I eat wild venison every year in fall/winter because I have friends who are hunters, and a hunting club who hunts on the area, and we always freeze it then cook it to kill of parasites. Because of that, I can't help but feel vaguely condescended to that The Long Dark doesn't have parasites by default. In fact, I've been cooking all the venison because in the game, the popup told me to!

Also, about trust, what's the highest value you can have with a person? I wanna make sure I have all the blueprints I can before moving on.

You get various food poisoning maladies if you eat raw food. Parasites are specifically related to eating cooked or uncooked predator meat on higher difficulties. It was added midway through development to deal with a high level player strategy of rushing bow in week 1 and then just living fat off the plentiful fast-respawning wolves and 50kg worth of bear meat per kill. I think the idea was that these kills were supposed to be obscenely hard, but there really isn't a solution for climbing up on a narrow log & waiting for the bear to bleed out.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

TeaJay posted:

I can't build. Like, at all. A friend of mine taught me some basics but I still struggle with reinforcing the structures. Is there something I can do to have the roof ridge not be marked on red? (I know the house design is also kinda wonky) I've added a lot of support beams all over, but on the roof I can't put the last piece on since there is no 1 meter 26 degree part.

Check around your foundation to make sure there is a direct vertical line from that roof tile to the ground- if the beam coming up to that part of the ceiling doesn't contact the ground at the bottom, it can cause your current problem. The video linked explains it well but I tend to build in vertical joists:

Notice it goes from the ground vertical and then angles over to the point. Roof tiles go between two joists. Only one roof tile in this screenshot between the two joists, but that's just because it's the chimney, I have 3 tiles in a lot of places.

Interior, you can see the joists are buttressed with pillars- these also go direct to the ground:

This house is 12m wide but I've had success with houses that are 16m wide (with 8m between the pillars). I use 26degree roofs, but I think 45degree is doable with 12m wide houses without any tier 2 materials.

The important thing is the pillars that go direct to the ground. When I was starting out, I would build a foundation out of beams connected to the ground with poles (and I still do this, but before, the poles connected to the ground were placed arbitrarily)- the supports coming out of the foundation MUST connect to the ground.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Feb 11, 2021

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Also look at my cool viking house

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I like vintage story a lot. I would say that the stuff around building pretty things and doing chill homesteading jobs is really good, even if it's largely just "we turned these minecraft mods into a standalone game"- you can make insanely detailed sculptures because it includes the chisel functionality that started out as a part of TFC.

It's really bad at the basic minecraft stuff (which ironically is super faithful to the source material because TFC always felt vaguely that it should do something with minecraft combat and was always terrible at it). The enemies are just kind of weird and superfluous, there's a "stability" mechanic that has really unclear purpose. It seems like its goal is to limit the amount of time you can spend exploring deep underground, but also some random spots on the surface have low stability as well for no real reason. High instability means enemies pop in and attack you a lot, but they're not especially dangerous, and you can lower stability by staying on the surface doing the things that are fun in the first place. But also every few weeks in game there's a "temporal storm" where enemies raid your base, like a dollar store 7 days to die. But they don't like destroy your base so that's good. I don't know, I'd honestly just turn the feature off, which is a thing you can easily do.

One of its goals was to be really moddable and while it has an awesome modelling program for making content, the author hasn't really done a spectacular job of setting up event hooks or aligning his own content built on the system in a way that can be modded. Last I heard I think they were gonna just give up and pack harmony in with the game so you could inject stuff which is kinda like declaring bankruptcy on the whole situation but on the other hand, self-awareness and making it easier for modders to fix is a refreshing attitude.

Anyway I think it's a fun game & definitely worth playing but I don't see it turning into a whole massive thing the way minecraft did. And the general feel of it is valheim without any goals, which some people are going to be REALLY into.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I've played multiplayer & it runs like minecraft SMP. The only weird thing about it is that since the calendar is so important & in singleplayer getting enough food to survive can be a tough challenge at first, the difficulty can bounce all over the place since time passes when you exit the game. I think on the whole the game is made easier by this so it might not bother you much- you log out today and it's mid spring, you log in tomorrow and all your crops have grown and it's summer or whatever. But I'm not sure what you'd do if you're still getting the hang of things & you log into winter, you're supposed to have a larder full of food by then. If you're looking to play it with a small group of people you know, this can be dealt with by just turning the server off when you log out for the night.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I got eco and really like it. I've found what I think is a decent server but kind of regret my starting profession choices, wish there was a way to do something about it.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Section Z posted:

There just seems to be something in the water when it comes to declaring "The spirit of survival games-" means loathing sustainable resources without a busywork tax or outright impossible after a long enough time span, whether you are a starving hobo in the woods or a space explorer with a pocket replicator.

Even sci-fi survival game #834 where the store pages shows you building helicarriers train convoys with the intent of strip mining whole planets, they will nerf the water tables declaring "Gosh, people were just drilling down to solve thirst! And that goes against the spirit of survival games!"

At least in a game like the long dark, this disconnect is less jarring because declaring your winter hobo will eventually freeze is a little less absurd than declaring players are missing the point of survival games because they are running space predators over with a space truck instead of getting out and shooting them with crafted bullets as survival god intended.

I think probably the "spirit" of survival games ought to look a lot like the minecraft modpack omnifactory. You're constantly in a loop of eliminating your current frustration just for it to be immediately replaced with a new, higher-order frustration. And that feels good.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Dirk the Average posted:

There's also the kind of fun thing about getting situated to where you finally stop worrying about your basic needs and basic shelter, and then start acting instead of reacting. Getting to that tipping point and maintaining it can be a lot of fun. Bonus points if that maintenance relies on a resource that you can scavenge, but it'd be ideal if you could make it from scratch.

Honestly, Valheim starts you at that point and I think it's why the game feels so nice.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
On the topic of playing terrible multiplayer games solo, I've been playing wurm but threw out all the starter equipment they give you for extra masochism. It's ok, the game doesn't really demand much of you so I just turn on some tv and watch progress bars. I guess it's not a real survival game but whatever

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The problem with ark is that for that exact reason, high level players on pvp servers eventually start massacring low level players out of boredom

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
https://www.vintagestory.at/blog.html/news/the-homesteading-update-v1150-r287/

New vintage story update out, it's mostly cosmetic and food focused.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Just last week I was saying "Man it's weird that Icarus is coming out in a week and a half I feel like I'm not even seeing it talked about that much". Well it's now been delayed until late november. They are having weekend testing events starting end of this month.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Unless I missed it, I haven’t seen anyone talking about Voidtrain. I had it wishlisted on steam but happened to see it was available on Epic. Started playing with a buddy.

It kind of rules? It’s not particularly “hard” I would say - I forget now if it had a difficulty setting but surely we’re on normal if there is. It seems mostly a fight about gathering enough resources, but the combat/threats do seem to be ramping up a little bit. I really don’t want to say too much about the game - not that I’ve found any super deep twists to spoil, but it’s a really cool idea and the best “take your base with you” survival game I’ve played, at least compared to Volcanoids or Raft. (Admittedly Raft might be better because it’s more or less a complete game, but from what I’ve seen so far I enjoy the base looting/production loop of Voidtrain better.)

There’s some annoying things: Deconstructing doesn’t give a full refund and you end up desperately wanting to move stuff a lot of the time. Sometimes you feel like you’re in a bit of a holding pattern waiting for the right resources to be tossed at you while there’s not really enough storage to horde the items you don’t need in huge numbers, but then you inevitably want those resources later. Ultimately though it’s super charming and different and I’m really digging it. I’ve always wanted to be a VoidSoviet train engineer fighting VoidNazis and Voidsharks, I just didn’t know it.

I like voidtrain but agree that the inventory management is obnoxious, especially the lack of minecraft-style shift+click stuff which should be in all these games at this point but for some reason is not.

Speaking of games without inventory management shortcuts:

Pigbottom posted:

So guys, is anyone playing icarus? opinions and thoughts?

Game sucks, OP! They're supposed to be releasing this in November? Absolutely not. The game runs like absolutely garbage on my extremely recent PC, and the only meaningful differences between icarus and ark (aside from the stuff that they TOOK OUT, like pvp and dinosaurs):

* 10, count them TEN, vanilla-wow-style talent trees. TEN OF THEM. And they suuuuuuck!
* The temporary session/mission/reward thing which doesn't even seem to have been started on yet, so how is it going to be ready for november?

It's just mining a bunch of metals you can't use for free XP, so you can learn to make a thatch wall and get a 3% movement speed boost, and then dropping them on the ground right now.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It probably would have worked if they had done literally with the entire point of the game as marketed. Like if they had a loop where you gather resources, put them on your ship, launch for some kind of XP bonus, and then touch down in a new spot to do it all over again I'd probably be hooked right now.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Insert name here posted:

This is crazy to me because the whole "session-based" structure was what piqued my interest in the first place (and also it's like the very first line in the description). :wtf:

FWIW there are "sessions", but the "session" lasts for the entirety of the beta weekend, and ending the session by lifting off in your ship doesn't actually seem to work- it says it'll wipe your inventory, give you bonuses based on what is wiped, & destroy the world & you have to start a new session, but it actually just wipes your inventory. There are no rewards, and starting a new session during the beta weekend brings you back to the exact same spot, with your buildings there still intact. You can't even load stuff onto your ship, the ship inventory screen doesn't have any slots.

Like they haven't actually bothered to do the thing they've been advertising for like 6 months.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Umbreon posted:

Sure, but they aren't pretending it's done. If in two months it's not in a good state, then they can just delay it and keep doing more betas/make it open beta. What's the big deal?

Listen all they're doing is telling you it will be released in november and then charging you for it. If it turns out that it wasn't true and anyone with a brain would have known that, what's the big deal?

In fact, there's a non-zero possibility that the entire game loop will be present in two weeks during the next beta weekend (because they will be demoing the map where "faction missions" enter play so you know, if it didn't have faction missions that sure would be weird!) I guess I'll eat my words if that's the case (although the game is still 20 fps on a GTX3070 so if they release it, it will still be a joke) and they actually have the game they advertised. I'm, uh, skeptical, and also have a lot more questions in that case. You have to hit level 10 to go to the second map. Is the idea that on release, you'll have to play ark for 3-4 hours before getting to play the game you actually bought?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Like they aren't pretending it's done, but they are pretending it's 2.5 months from release. If the thing they advertise as the main deal with their game isn't in, it's not. Like what's even the point of this beta weekend? It's not effective testing, it's not effective marketing, jesus.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
If you haven't played Subnautica, you really should if you're asking about single player survival games. I'm not saying it's guaranteed you'll like it, but it is the acme of a particular type of game and you should probably give it a shot.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So second icarus weekend just ended, did anyone try it again this time? Was it just like, the same thing again on a different map?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I am really enjoying the game so far and I'm curious how the dev is going to go.

Green Hell is on sale for $17.50 and I'm tempted but how kick in in the balls hard is it?

It's fine. If you see other people stay away, they'll kill you.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Another Icarus beta weekend is coming up, it was scheduled this week to introduce the new desert biome, but that has been pushed back 2 weeks (as have all the other beta weekends), in favor of something idfferent. It sounds like arctic biome wasn't actually finished for the last beta weekend so they're putting out a finished version, with additional enemy types and some extra terrain that was missing last time. They do say that there's a mission this weekend, but it's supposed to occupy the entire weekend and only involves interacting with crashed satellites on the map, so it's not clear whether they actually have a mission system or they just added 3 POIs to the map and the marketing puffery is talking about it as a mission.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

So just to be clear, Icarus's whole main gimmick still isn't implemented/playable right? The one where you go to space between outings and do upgrades and stuff?

You can go back to space (there's just no reason to), outings are timed (because the servers shut down at the end), and you can upgrade your character. Until now there has been no reason to return to space and no missions that you're ostensibly doing on the ground. They're acting like that changes this weekend, because there are three POIs to visit, spread across the entire map, but it's not clear what you can do there or what you get for doing it or if there's any point. The "mission" still ends at the end of the beta weekend.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
This is I guess the last beta weekend, so I'm interesting in how the mission loop ended up working out for icarus, if anyone is playing that.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

redreader posted:

I played icarus and it's ok but do not do the hunting missions as the first thing even when they say recommended level 0 and you're level 8.

Lots of ways to spend time but only the objective really counts. You drop in from scratch with nothing, build a shelter and harvest stuff to make your weapons, then do your objective and get back to the mission select, which is all there is on the ship. There is no reward for completing a mission either that I've seen. You need to build a hut to spend the night in, but every piece of the building takes a skill point to learn to build. There are lots of recipes to unlock and skills to buy. The only progression I saw is leveling up which gives you 1 point for leveling skills and 3 points for crafting recipes. I played it with two friends, it's fun but made me think of 7 days to die which has a lot more to it. It's very pretty though and fun enough. It could be great but right now I'm on the fence.

There was some tooltip about taking exotic materials back with you, presumably to do some kind of on-spaceship progression but I never saw any.

For survival, you need to manage food, health, water and O2 which you can get from hunting, eating, drinking and mining O2 rocks respectively. The only upgrades I've seen for weapons are wood then bone. I didn't see any armor at all although I feel like it's needed. I wonder what I haven't seen yet.

Edit: the enemies I've seen are just wolves and bears, and you can hunt them as well as fish and rabbits and deer. My friend and I went after a named wolf and it murdered us while getting only 1/3rd of its health taken off it by us.

Wait... the survival game whose main innovation is time-limited missions comes out in 2 weeks, and they don't yet have rewards for completing the time-limited missions?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Yeah Icarus's advancement system is literally ark, which has many well-understood weaknesses. I thought that the whole idea of icarus was "well you don't need to grind mobs or crafting for levelups, everything's centered around these missions, so instead of grinding mobs for levels, you grind missions which keeps things fresh, and as you level and gain access to building materials, tools, whatever, you can take on more expansive missions". Which would deal with the weaknesses of ark in an interesting way. The fact that they just kind of got bored of that idea halfway through and it's ark with a third nipple is infuriating and I guess expected.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Jinnigan posted:

The Conan model is basically my ideal survival game. Build yourself up, hang out with friends, do PvE stuff with your survival gear. Any other games in that model?

hmm this does sound like it might be up my alley. what's the PVE stuff like? how does the 'overworld' work? can you set up a private server with your friends or is it like one big server or whatever?

That model is more or less perfected by valheim, I think, but maybe you see some important qualities conan has that valheim doesn't?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
By having mission-based sessions, I thought that meant they'd have like procedurally generated missions that get more demanding as you advance and would be used to smooth out the ark XP progression poo poo. They're like, handmade missions? How many are there? What happens when you do them all? What do you get for completing them? What is their relationship with progression?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I thought it would be good ark but it sounds like it's bad subnautica

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Canuckistan posted:

I think Dean Hall's association with this game is actually making people assume the worst in the "bug or feature" guessing game. Are pitch black nights or insta-gib teleporting bears a bug or a case of "my vision!". Who knows, but people are going to assume the latter when it comes to Dean "Finding a can a food should be the high part of your day" Hall.

The thing making people assume the worst is that the main feature we are discussing did not exist in the beta, which ended two weeks ago, in any meaningful sense despite being the primary focus of the marketing.

I do not think it would take me a very long time to do 35 missions but who knows.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

truther posted:

There are 35 missions I think. They range in difficulties and in the type of missions. Each mission you get a reward of a currency which you spend off-planet for researching and crafting special items like improved tools, armours, etc. I spent most of the day playing and had 200 of the currency, while some of the ones you can unlock cost 1000 just to research, let alone craft. So as far as 'what do you do when you do them all' goes, I think you'd be spending a ton of time before you'd reach that point.

I know they've got more planned but no idea what that will consist of.

Am I crazy for thinking this sounds like it must not impact your play very much? If you can play all day and get one or two unlocks by interacting with missions and dozens of unlocks by grinding wolves or crafting 80 walls or whatever, then the missions sound pretty whatever unless the unlocks are world changing. I really thought they were going to replace grinding wolves not layer on top of it

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Moving the third and fourth biome to day 1 dlc after people had already bought the game and played in those biomes is so incredibly ballsy how can I do anything but respect it?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I would like to apologize to dean hall for implying that the day 1 dlc contained some of the biomes that appeared in the beta. After googling it (because the store page contains no information), I would like to concede that the ice and desert "outposts" are not biomes within the game, and all content shown in the beta is in the main game purchase. The day 1 DLC they want you to pay an additional $30 for- the New Frontiers and Dangerous Horizons DLC- do not yet exist.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
mfw the criticism is inaccurate

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I saw a guy on twitch who would just chug coffee, walk out into the middle of a street, and strafe jump and kill all the zombies for hours until morning. If I'm being honest, that didn't look all that fun either. I don't know, weird mechanic, can't really get into it. I feel like they want there to be a reason to participate in basebuilding though, which I like in theory but the outcome seems miserable.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Me, trying to terraform a new breadbasket world: "Okay so where are we putting the bears?"

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Kind of a cross post from management games thread but:

I’m looking for a game that runs well on a recent surface pro because I’m traveling for work and want to distract myself from the fact I’ll end up with covid for my job. I’ve been having a ball with some friends in zomboid but a tinier screen and a not super accurate mouse and keyboard setup makes me loathe trying to fight “woops you got bit” style zombies.

I might consider something like unrealworld to finally learn, but I’m worried it might be a little much to bite off for “tired in a hotel for 45 minutes” type of game. One friend suggested rimworld again, which maybe. I have been hunting more “play a person, but there’s some management elements” games - zomboid hit this in a lot of ways because I got to play a base-mom in multiplayer, but I’m thinking of like Graveyard keeper or things of that nature. I have Feel the Snow which I’ve barely played?? Vintage story might be a good candidate if not for the fact I think it might look and play like crap on the surface pro.

Any strong suggestions?

you mention graveyard keeper, have you thought about just stardew valley?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Smothering my bitten wife with a pillow... she eats the pillow and bites me. I am now doomed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

Among other things I like how World War Z talked about the people who fled up north to the cold to escape the zombies, but ran into the problem that even a handful of families will basically deforest an area within a month just to keep their fires going, let alone finding food and gasoline.

??? a medium sized tree can heat 100 sq ft for a winter. Are these people taking up in abandoned mcmansions?