Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What's the point of the weapons beside the axe in Valheim?

I recently unlocked the tier 2 workbench and will be getting the tier 3 one the next time I play. So far, all the weapons look like they have the same or worse stats as the basic axe, which I need to keep upgraded to cut wood with anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Haifisch posted:

This would be cool(and is cool in the few games that actually make NPC societies beyond 'people who want to kill you and/or take your stuff'), but a)requires more work than 'everything and everyone is trying to kill you' and b)would probably lose the segment of the playerbase who plays survival games for their 'I am the Last Human and I am a total badass who doesn't need anyone else to survive' kicks.

Which is a shame because I would be extremely here for more games that allow for cooperation beyond yourself/your group.

I imagine that segment of the player base would be at least as happy to have npc's gratefully thanking them for bringing in food/leather/wood and other supplies so that they can continue surviving. As long as it's optional anyways.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I'm really impressed with how deep Valheim is. I thought it was just going to be basically a hunting simulator, but then I killed the first boss and now there's dungeons, and mining, and a whole new metal tech tree to explore.

victrix posted:

Anyone messed with Volcanoids?

It was fiddly enough to put my wife off so I didn't play it much.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Got up to bronze equipment in Valheim. I'm going to stick with troll for now for that sweet, sweet sneak bonus. It takes a ton of copper and tin ore to make anything out of bronze. I don't know how people are supposed to be able to afford to make bronze arrows. It takes me multiple hours just to get enough bronze to make or upgrade each piece of equipment.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I recently started playing vintage story and drifter packs are getting pretty frustrating. One or two drifters makes for an exciting challenge. But when there’s six plus of them, they just rock throw me to death. I’m not sure how I’m supposed to deal with that.

Some nights are fine and I can be out doing stuff in my garden or chopping trees all night without seeing even one monster. Other nights I get swarmed by huge numbers of drifters. Is there a way to predict which it is going to be?

LLSix fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 26, 2022

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Any tips on finding bees in Vintage Story? The world I'm in has been very hilly and forests tend to be small. I've been through a dozen of them and still haven't found a single bee hive.

It's pretty fun to play with a friend, but drifters are definitely more annoying obstacle than fun challenge. We did make the mistake of building our house between two caves during the starter grace period. When it ended, we were getting waves of up to 6 drifters coming in almost faster than we could kill them. Had to seal off the caves completely. It was pretty exciting before that, though.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 8, 2022

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Thanks for all the advice for finding bees. I got the mod that makes a big text bubble appear for bee sounds, so I'm all set to go hunting the next time we both have time to play.

Travic posted:

Are there any tips for finding limestone in Vintage Story beyond just exploring more? I've gone about a days travel in every direction and found none. There is a ton of granite and a fair amount of basalt, but no limestone. I've been walking and checking the exposed rock and the rock bits on the ground. Is there some trick to finding it?

There's an effort post on the official forums: https://www.vintagestory.at/forums/topic/4748-prospecting-for-limestonechalk-guide/

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I'm looking for more tin to avoid falling back out of the bronze age (the first quartz deposit I mined had only 2 poor gold nuggets and no silver :( )

My prospecting pick found this cluster of very high 0.2% and ultra high 0.2% cassiterite(tin):

Any tips on where to dig down to try to find it? Or even how deep to look? The area is pretty hilly (un-annotated screenshot). The red map-marker is just fire clay, not a cave.

I'm guessing I want to try that middle UH square, but even that's a pretty large area to cover.

Godlessdonut posted:

As a Kenshi fan, I approve of this simple cosmetic change.

Nice aesthetic. The bed on the floor in back is a great touch.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

HelloSailorSign posted:

Each ore type has some specifics on where in the y axis it can spawn, seen here: https://wiki.vintagestory.at/index.php/Ore_Deposits

Thanks. If I'm reading that chart right, cassiterite only gets Ultra High (bountiful) in granite. The surface stone here is basalt, so I should mine down until I hit granite before starting to use the propick in node search mode?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I found 2 unconnected tiny tin disks in that center square. ~500 tin units all told, or enough for 50 bronze pickaxes. I was initially disappointed by how little tin I was finding, because I hadn't realized how many tools that would make until I wrote it out just now. I guess I'm good on tin for a while. I'm still getting propick node readings of "very small" amounts of tin around the edges of the disks I dug out, so I'm guessing there's another disc down there, but I guess I don't need to look for it right now.

I used vanilla ladders since I didn't realize that I could make rope from cattails, so I didn't realize I had a source of rope until after I'd made a couple stacks of ladders. Oh well.

I have pet bears now!

Also pictured, what used to be my pet goats :smith: I'd left a pit behind to passively trap goats for when I wanted to try to domesticate some. And because they're kind of cute. Unfortunately/awesomely, both a black and brown bear also thought they were cute. Too cute not to eat.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 12, 2022

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Travic posted:

Managed to get a rooster, a ram, and a ewe. Unfortunately I underestimated how much they eat. I had 4 stacks of flax seed and they're burning through it. I may have to let the sheep go.

Chasing the rooster was hilarious. Running after it until it disappeared in the bushes then holding very still until I heard a cluck and dashing off after it.

Your sheep can be fed grass. It takes a lot of grass to keep them fed enough to breed, but with a scythe it doesn't take long to gather.

I just got to this point too. I think the most aesthetically pleasing designs I've seen for sheep raising are outdoor pens but I've got my heart set on a barn. Anyone got a vintage story animal pen or barn they want to show off?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

MrGreenShirt posted:

I would like to apologize in advance for the quality of these pictures. This was from an iron-age village build I did a while back that I accidentally deleted, and all I have left are these lovely phone pics I took for reference while building.

A barn I was building for general storage.

Pens for sheep which, a long with a sizeable pasture, would be fenced in. The finished pens had the same packed dirt flooring as the barn, but in retrospect I ought to have looked into hay bale flooring instead.

Cool! I like both.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Are there any good survival games for iOS? I was excited when I heard Card Survival was getting an iOS port, but now it looks like it'll be at least a few months before that happens.

Obviously there's Don't Starve, but I've already played it for hundreds of hours.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

I’d pay that if it were on iOS.

Truth.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

RandomBlue posted:

Gonna check this out today: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1324130/Stranded_Alien_Dawn/

It's in EA and only a few reviews but all the reviews are basically "it's just rimworld in 3D" and "IT'S RIMWORLD IN 3D!!!"

Sold!

So the real question is: what's mod support like? So much of the fun of Rimworld comes from its mods.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Vintage Story: I spent a good 4 hours mining out an iron deposit today. Just poor quality, but now I've got a chest almost full of chunks. I figure that should be enough for awhile. Very excited. I just got by first tiny helve hammer started and this is my first time moving into the iron age.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 15, 2022

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

esquilax posted:

What's the deal with resin in Vintage Story? Is there some good way to find it other than just marking nearby leaky pines on your map to gather every seven days?

I'm spending half my in game time looking intently at random trees.

That is the deal with resin :(

Sorry, it's just awful for no good reason. There's a console command to spawn specific items that I usually use to cheat in resin but I can never remember the exact command.

The "good" news is that it respawns fairly fast so once you find a few places and make a circuit of it, you can get enough without too much trouble.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I wonder if any one has successfully implemented asynchronous PvP. Something where people can rob you while you're offline but not so punitive that it requires shifts of people manning the defenses.

It's immersion breaking to have stuff that's simply invincible. On the other hand, most people don't want to lose the game while they're not even playing it.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 31, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I got that card survival game people were talking about a while back.

How do you tell what your actions did? All I can see when I take an action is an explosion of stat changes. When I go to look at the stats there's no log of how much difference the last change made or even why the stat went up or down.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 12, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

TorakFade posted:

I sometimes wish there were more games concerned with long term survival, like UnReal World, and not just survival as in "don't get killed by $enemy_of_choice or natural hazards to eventually escape back to civilization"

Like, I play RimWorld and never even think of leaving the planet, just building and living my little slice of life in a harsh world

Clanfolk is a base management game (same general genre as Rimworld) where the main obstacle is gathering and storing enough food and water to survive winter. And then keeping your food from spoiling the following summer.

TorakFade posted:

Oh, that's nice to know! I have Vintage Story and tried playing a few times but always bounced off it, probably because I didn't spend enough time trawling wikis and stuff and just "jumped in", which doesn't seem to be the best thing for this kind of game :v: I sometimes fail to realize that I've been playing URW for almost 20 years now (started with version 2.80 in 2005 iirc :eyepop: ) so that game is almost second nature to me by now, but that doesn't apply to all same-genre games :shobon:

so what are those mods and any other tips about how not to get frustrated right off the bat in Vintage Story?

The first thing I do in VS is make a knife and then gather almost two stacks of cattail reeds to make basic beginner bags. That more than doubles your inventory space.

After that, you want to get enough claymaking done to make a crockpot and bowl. Crockpot meals more or less double the nutrition you get from food and you have to have a bowl to eat out of the crockpot.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Raft is such a weird goddamn game to me. I love the early game where you're trying to survive, and getting things like water purification, fishing up food, etc. But then after several hours of sort of sandboxy survival it takes a hard turn and decides to be an extremely drawn out story-driven experience where you just wander around enormous islands, away from your raft, reading notes and audiologs of characters I don't care about. It's kind of amazing how long it takes to get through all that.
At some point into story progression I hit a point where I just don't care about anything but beelining the rest of the story content because that's what everything focuses on and I've already long-since become self-sufficient, but it turns out that point is like, 25% of the way into the story.

:same:

We did, eventually, finish the game. The payoff at the end is pretty satisfying.

The fun parts are all the survival elements. The story stuff is better as an occasional break from survival tasks.

Building up a mega-raft is so-so, but it gives a reason to keep doing the fun parts of going out and getting resources.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

Just bought Vintage Story last night and got eaten by a bear before making it 10 steps out of my starting spawn

I'm sorry that happened. It usually doesn't. I guess the world gen doesn't do any checks that the player spawn location is safe, but I've generated dozens of locations and never had that happen. I have been eaten by bears lots of times. Even once you're geared up, they're still a serious threat.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I've been playing a fair bit of Card Survival lately.

I'm irrationally frustrated by crop plots only being single use. It makes sense to me that it requires some effort to clear the soil to start with. I've cleared ground to plant before and it is work. But after that the soil should stay cleared. The game already has a fertilizer mechanic to track soil health (and it starts at 0 despite it require compost elements to build the crop plot to start with). The fertilizer mechanic properly represents soil health and nutrients, so the crop plot disappearing isn't needed to represent the soil being depleted of nutrients (if that was even a realistic concern in the middle of a jungle). The game is difficult in a lot of ways that make it more fun and engaging, but this specific mechanic feels like a fun tax.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Krataar posted:

What are my options that are basically stardew but you’re on the frontier or home stead and gotta eat and survive so it’s kinda sweaty but chill

Vintage Story is the closest you're going to get probably.

It has farming.
It has tool tiers.
It has mining.
It has limited combat.
It has animal raising (extremely difficult to setup).
It allows you to build elaborate homes and barns.

Vintage story does not have:
NPCs (beyond traders who just buy and sell)
Marriage candidates
Social elements
Magic (can be added with mods probably)

You will definitely die a few times before getting a stable setup.

Raft kinda scratched the same itch for us. Valheim is also an option for a much harder combat experience, but the farming in Valheim is impressively unfun to do at any sort of scale.

I've been thinking about trying to convince my partner to start another VS run for awhile. It's good fun.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

All this Vintage Story talk got me to start up a new game today. First day was a bit bodged up, but 3 days in and we've finally gotten our reed had baskets completed (4 each) and are just waiting for tomorrow morning for our first clay pot and bowls to finish firing so we can eat non-burned food again.

I like the mod that lets you carry boxes on your back so we're firing up clay vessels too so we can be more nomadic without leaving junk lying everywhere behind us.

Temporal storms off, of course.

HopperUK posted:

This youtuber has a pleasant tone and a gentle pace and explains very carefully how Vintage Story works, so if you're up for watching a video or two, this might help.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_m19gCRJ123k2Mtn5o3uX3MAWCxCIU8j

Kurazarrh is great.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

chainchompz posted:

Checking back in: I got it last night and sacrificed sleep for gaming, which bodes well.

First start I was exploring and then fell in a cave and couldn't dig myself out and wasn't going to wait until I starved to death to respawn.

Other start I wound up getting ate by a bear, repeatedly.

I think I've finally got the handle on building a shelter, slowly but surely getting other stuff like that, but hunger is something I'm not on top of yet.

For hunger, you want to make a clay cooking pot and a clay bowl. The food you can make in a clay pot is not only more satisfying, but it also counts double. For a short time (based on food quality) after eating a clay pot or other advanced meal, you no long lose stamina/satiation. So you can sprint and do stuff as much as you want until the (invisible) buff goes away.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

How much does having a group to play with matter in Valheim? Is solo fun/doable?

The early part through the first boss is fun solo.

The entire rest of the game involves a tremendous amount of grinding and/or mostly optional base-building. With a group this is a good time. Solo I found it tedious long before beating the second boss.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I started up a new game of Vintage Story and Clay Storage Vessels are behaving oddly. When I first put down a storage vessel, transferring meat and berries from my inventory to it, increases the amount of time to spoil, as expected. Then after a few game days, I'll put something into the storage vessel, and it decreases the amount of time to spoil (the opposite of expected behavior). This happens regardless of where I put my storage vessel. I don't have plank so no door yet, but I can dig a proto-cellar out under ground with no light access and that helps delay spoilage, but, again, after a few days it seems to stop working.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm trying to find a good base builder kind of game but IDK what to buy that's good

I may generally end up only playing solo

I've tried:

ARK (want to like this but it feels like it's not good solo)
V Rising (kinda liked this)
Icarus (liked this, the open world mode anyways)
Rust (eh)
Valheim (eh)
7 days to die (didn't really like this, kinda janky)
Empyrion Galactic Survival (too jank, didn't like)
Conan Exiles (i guess it's ok but I'm just not a Fantasy girl)
Subnautica 1 (i guess it's ok, I played it early on in development so idk if it got any better)
Don't Starve (Bounced off this, maybe I should give it another go?)

Not sure if anything's on sale that's good...
I see Project Zomboid but I'm not really into zombies but I'm thinking about it
Astroneer, Space Engineers, Occupy Mars?

any suggestions would be appreciated

That's most of the good survival games. Except maybe Terraria, but the base-building in that is just to support the adventuring and fighting.

Maybe try one of these adjacent base-builder genres?

Stardew Valley is a good introduction (I've got several thousand hours in it) to the farming life-sim genre. Happily, it is also general considered the best as well.

Rimworld is probably the most accessible of the base-building management games If you don't want to fight in your basebuilder, Clanfolk is a great choice, but since this is the survival thread I'm guess you want more conflict than Clanfolk provides. Not that Clanfolk is easy, most players die their first 2-3 games before they figure out how to not starve or freeze to death.

From what little Lego Fortnite I've played, it is just a reskinned Valheim. OP said they didn't like Valheim so I'd be surprised if they like Lego Fortnite.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Card Survival is a great game and there's a mobile version so it travels well. Thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4041213

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

TorakFade posted:

I gotta try Card Survival because it looks like it scratches the very same itch, but I remember trying the demo and bouncing off it for some reason...

A lot of the learning curve in Card Survival is the UI. Some actions are done by clicking on cards. Others require you to drag cards on top of each other. It can be very non-obvious how to do some things that are obviously possible. At least that's what I had a hard time with until it become muscle memory.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

YerDa Zabam posted:

Feeling like there's a shortage of new survival games atm?
Don't worry. here's one for you....

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2646460/Soulmask/

https://discord.gg/pv6GzRn4

I've no idea if it's any good at all, but I just got pinged about the demo. It's supposedly about 40 hours worth (max Lv 30) and is live until mid February

(This, as well as Soulframe make me laugh with their names though. Not saying "Soul" isn't allowed, but lol)

Those are some pretty crops in the steam screenshots.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Is there farming in Enshrouded?

I love farming games, but the farming in Valheim was so fiddly and frustrating that it caused me to stop playing.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

I think I'm over survival games.

I want thriving games.

:same:
Let me know if you find any.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I just started playing Medieval Dynasty. It's been out for years I know.

Some early thoughts:
Wolves are brutal and vicious.
It's kind of weird you don't have to water crops but I think I like it.
Wow, you need to build a lot of buildings.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Your can build a liquid storage thingy under the drink boxes straw and it will capture the drops of juice.

That's cool!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The prices in Medieval Dynasty are insane. Saddles cost twice as much as an animal to put it on.

People will work for you, for free. All they ask is that you not starve them. Well, not starve them too much. A little starving is fine.

A six pack of beer costs more than a whole cow’s worth of meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Qubee posted:

Does anyone have any good cooperative games to suggest? My friend just built his first PC after years of playing on a beat up old laptop. It goes without saying he's very excited to play games with me.

Lethal Company is technically a survival? We played that today and I think he enjoyed it more than I did. I wasn't enjoying it at all due to the horror aspects and it just wasn't my type of game. We ended up refunding and I felt guilty.

Tomorrow, we're planning on playing Sea of Thieves. Does anyone have any coop survival recommendations? I was thinking 7 Days to Die but honestly, I played that game to hell and back and I'm not sure if I've got another run in me.

Raft.
Don’t Starve Together.

Not a survival game but super fun and you didn’t say if your friend likes stuff other than survival games - Overcooked. It’s cute and silly and sooo much fun yelling at each other and trying to coordinate.