Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm playing The Long Dark and the transition from Voyager to Stalker is kind of jarring. On the former it feels like you drown in candy bars and sodas and supplies and on the latter wolves come at you from EVERYWHERE and the outside freezes you if you walk half a kilometre. (don't even get me started on Interloper)

Maybe I'm just a bad survivor, but I just can't seem to get my survivin' goin' on. I even deliberately started in Pleasant valley to camp in the farmstead, but I usually end up prey to wolves until I can find some guts to get a snare going for a steady food supply. Or is it better to try and fish, if you're in a map with fishing huts?

Not to mention I have generally terrible orienteering skills and can't hit anything with the rifle (let alone the bow, albeit I only had the chance to try it in my earlier Pilgrim run). It seems like it just hasn't the range, since I'm pretty sure I'm aiming properly at a deer but the bullet just doesn't hit it. (or maybe I am not aiming properly after all.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Overwined posted:

The number of VERY Finnish games that exist is kind of alarming in proportion to their overall population, when you think of it. There really needs to be a mashup. UnReal Summer Car. You have fallen into a timewarp and been transported back to Iron Age Finland with only some rudimentary tools and a case of beer. Can you build a FWD shitbox out of iron ore and wood and leaves so that you can jump the car back into the timewarp and return home to get more beer?

I would play this game.

The Long Dark is a sequel (prequel?) to MSC. It's a pretty accurate representation of Finnish winters with freezing -52 C temperatures.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I played it a few hours, I'm at the point where You collect wood and food for the blind woman and that part feels a bit tedious.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

tuyop posted:

I love the bunny dilemma.

The three lines that appear when you're carrying carcasses are stink lines, right?

Also, I just almost died of thirst in sandbox because I ran out of matches, then I realized I had a flare, lit it and was able to use it for ignition and save myself. I love this game.

There's no dilemma

But I can't really consistently aim my rocks at those things. I kinda figured a good way to measure the throw was to aim in the middle of the thumb and index finger of the "aiming" hand or something like that.

I just finished episode 1 boy, the number of wolves and their behaviour pissed me off. They were EVERYWHERE around Milton town. I shoot them with a distress pistol, they ran a bit and immediately run back towards me even though I'm high-tailing it away. Although the wolf attacks did have a side-effect of suddenly there being quite a few wolf corpses...

Encumberance to rappel down a mountaining rope was a bummer, since I had to leave a lot of foodstuffs behind. I'm no good at surviving, I can't go to bed hungry, I always have to hoard stuff.

Starting episode 2 was a nice moment when You find out you're in Mystery lake. However, playing this map a lot in Sandbox did not stop me from getting lost trying to trek to Lake office cabin from Trapper's cabin. I suck at orienteering too.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I feel like there just should've been a lesser emphasis on walking around and doing busywork for NPC's. The actual surviving isn't very hard when the game throws huge amounts of supplies in your way, and repair basically doesn't fail anymore. They probably balance it out with supercharged wolves. I had a moment after leaving Camp Office where three wolves were camping out in front of it and all attacked me in turn.

The story and dialogue is what it is, but I have been/am genuinely interested in the areas and the catastrophe that happened. It's just being drowned under the mechanics of the story mode which feel like a slog.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Drunk in Space posted:

Episode 2 has an NPC sending you on a mission across two maps, which is an adventure in itself and actually has a really cool moment in it. But after your little adventure and the hike back, during which time you will obviously have been surviving day to day, harvesting mushrooms, repairing clothes and other basic poo poo, he then gives you a bunch of lovely fetch quests to ... harvest mushrooms and berries and other basic poo poo, all to teach you about the survival basics you already loving know about by that point. It's completely idiotic. I mean, the first two NPCs basically have the same quests: "I'm old, sick and useless, so go and get all the food I need for winter, Mainlander Outsider who doesn't know poo poo about anything."

This is what ruins story mode's momentum. The pacing of the quests is all messed up - the first NPC you meet should've been the one who teaches you about survival and then you could go on to having more elaborate quests for people, like fixing the gun or killing the bear.

It's a shame since like I wrote I can feel the actual story beneath there and it's sorta interesting but the busywork and stupid progression actively tries to keep me from getting invested.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

They need to add a compass to TLD. I'm just horrible with directions and orienteering in general. I get lost walking from Trapper's cabin to Lake office.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm doing the story mode and I'm still at the part where you bring the old hunter stuff. Are the plants finally the last part? (done hunting, fishing and crafting) It's like the game is actively trying to encourage me to stop playing it with this tediously annoying gathering resources-part. Not to mention I've even starting to run out of food myself! It's just a complete slog and feels just artificial lenghtening of an already short game.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I waited the whole summer for the release of TLD story mode and I was so disappointed and bored with it I still haven't mustered the energy to finish it. I'm still at the bear part and I just lost the energy to go on.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

So what's the way to kill the bear in TLD? Do I just have to accept that I will have to get mauled by him? I've done 3/6 locations and once he ran away after I shot him. But if I read this correctly, the game won't let me kill him until I've met him at all locations? (which is BS)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Well, now I'm completely stumped, since I've been to all three locations I haven't seen him yet and he's nowhere to be found in any of them.

e: Found him, he was glitching inside a rock

e2: This is story mode.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 22, 2017

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, after the bear thing, I went and tried to find Jeremiah's bunker but I couldn't get in because I have to wait for the Aurora? So I have to camp out here in the wilderness for who knows how long with limited supplies? Well great. Is there even anything worthwhile in there or should I just try to continue the main story?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Has anyone played Darkwood? I saw a friend of mine stream it recently, it looked very spooky.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Has anyone played Subnautica since the full game launch? Apparently there's a story now, or is just something they slapped on so that they can say there's a story and the real deal is the exploration & base building?

e: Kinda like the lackluster Long Dark story mode

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Pathos posted:

There’s a little bit of a story, yeah. It’s a good game, though I felt like it kinda lost its way near the end. Still fun, though!

That being said I loved Chapter 1 of The Long Dark (haven’t played ch2 yet) so maybe my tastes are different than yours. Still, it may be worth a look. Subnautica is really, really good for the first 8-12 hours. Without a doubt. It just loses its way a bit near the end game.

I mean, the actual story part of Long Dark was fine. It was the tutorial-level busywork to prolong it that got to my nerves. I haven't played chapter 2 either, frankly, I didn't even realize it was out!

I watched a friend stream Subnautica for a few times now and picked it up myself, but I'm at the start. It's got that classic "oh, I need this to make that, where do I find this, oh, there's a wreck I can explore, but I need this too..." feeling to it. The "One more turn" effect.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 12, 2018

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been playing SCUM with some friends lately. It's surprisingly a lot of fun even in the clearly unfinished early access state. Can't wait for them to add more stuff like vehicles in it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Klaaz posted:

I just purchased The Long Dark. What's wrong with the story mode? (didn't play the game yet except for some brief fooling around with fire, water and snow)

It feels way too tutorial-ish. It's got tons of dumb busywork blocking progress, which would've probably been fine if story mode would've been released first.

But sandbox is way better in terms of gaming experience, especially now that you can customize a hard difficulty in terms of scarce resources but also not as many wolves as the old "hard" difficulties would've meant.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Klaaz posted:

Nobody talks about SCUM anymore. How bad is it nowadays? it always looked apealing to me but I'm fed up buying promising looking poo poo that turns out mediocre.

I'm still playing it quite a lot and they keep adding new stuff into it. The cars update was a huge boost, but it's still very barebones so no Mad Max gang wars as of yet. Basically you can just drive around with friends but it sure beats walking everywhere. You can get shot inside a car but you can't shoot out of it (yet) and you can't do anything while inside the car as a passenger. I'd at least expect you can eat/drink or play instruments. Or maybe they will add a radio that plays non-copyrighted Croatian bands.

Last big update added fortifications, locks etc. which you can buy with fame. The lockpick system is pretty useless as of now though, since skill doesn't seem to affect it at all and good loving luck trying to pick anything in the 3 seconds you get. I would assume it will be fixed so high skill gives you more time, though. My team has not been able to pick any lock as of yet but we've instead used watchtowers to climb inside windows that have not been fortified.

I'm playing on SKRA EU #1 and the populace has gone down a lot, which makes the game sometimes a bit boring when you don't see any enemy players. A lot are probably waiting for the next update, which is understandable with EA games. SKRA #2 has more players, but that's a "fun" server with 5x loot, which sounds a bit boring to me. I rather like the "survival" aspect more, and frankly we've found just as good loot on SKRA 1 as well. So if anyone wants to play, feel free to pop by! It's a fun game even in this early on development.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The lag and rubberbanding are a lot better in general, but there might still be problems on servers that are full of players. I can personally now have proper fights instead of a lagshow and enemies move normally from place to place instead of teleporting. If you still have issues, try a server which is not 100% packed.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Barotrauma recently released into early access and I've been playing it with some friends. Our endeavors have gone as well as you'd expect, and my first mission ended up me being sucked out of the sub through a hole in the hull and crushed to death outside.

It's very hectic with 3-5 players like we've had but it's a lot of fun, and requires a lot of teamwork. I haven't really followed the development, but I noticed there was a thread from 2017, so it's been in development for a while. So no idea what they're gonna add or what features to expect.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

I liked TLD enough as a survive the nature simulator but the wolves were extremely boring element of danger and it kind of turned me off from playing the game more. I wish there was something like it with more focus on surviving in the wild with no enemies, making your own stuff rather than being a scavenger.

You can do exactly this with TLD sandbox mode (there is an option to turn off wolves completely, IIRC) or adjust them to your liking.

I still haven't finished chapter 3 due to other games taking up my free time (mainly Blasphemous and Outer worlds), but I can tell you I'm already drat annoyed by Astrid's "Thanks for saving my life but I won't still tell you anything about where I'm going or what's in the briefcase" shtick which has basically been going on the whole storymode. It better have a good payoff (but I'm guessing it won't)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Klaaz posted:

So how is SCUM these days? Still broken and filled with hackers and cheaters? I see the reviews gotten better lately but I'm not sure if that means anything.

Every new patch seems to add more bugs and breaks old features, and they are definitely having to spend lots of time fixing these problems that could be used on other stuff.

That said, the recent optimization updates really made the larger population servers a viable choice. It used to be a huge lagfest even with sub-40 players on the server but now I've played in ~60-70 players on and there was no item pickup lag / shooting lag / teleportation that plagued the game earlier. So if you had issues with that definitely check it out again. I have hoped that SCUM would take an even bigger push towards being a hardcore survival simulation game with some combat added (like it was envisioned) and less a shooting game with survival elements. The devs have made similar comments on the Steam roadmap thread so I'm optimistic about the direction.

I played the hell out of SCUM since its release (got over 1000 hours clocked there, it used to be the go-to game for my friends and I) but the lack of new content for a while now has taken its toll and lately I haven't played at all.

For now they are promising a bigger update before the end of the year, which would supposedly feature the first bigger city (urban combat yay) and some new mechanics, rumours are medical & disease systems and metabolism updates + possibly something new. So that will probably be a good time to try the game out again.

It's definitely a good game and gives lots of stuff to do for the price, but following the EA closely makes the development process for new content seem really slow. If they manage to add all the features they have been wanting & promising it will probably be insanely good. But that is still some time away with this current pace.

In terms of realistic survival games I feel like SCUM is one the best already and has the potential to be even better with the aforementioned systems expanded fully.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 21, 2019

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Klaaz posted:

Thanks for the write up, very useful. I might give it a try soonish as I just bought a decent pc.

It's also a very beautiful game, the higher resolutions and detail levels require a powerful PC, but at the same time the game looks really good on lower settings too. I played on low for a long time (I have a mid-tier PC) and after I updated my CPU a bit with my friends' old one I boosted to med-high and the jump wasn't THAT noticeable. So I mostly play on medium for better FPS.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Ivan Shitskin posted:

Some people seem to play that game only for the multiplayer, which had been broken for a while after the last major update. The animation overhaul was so big that they had to shut down multiplayer while they integrated all the new changes. I'm not sure if it's playable yet. If you want multiplayer then I would stay clear of it.

I played it a lot with friends some time ago, but ultimately we began waiting for multiplayer for the newer versions, and it sounds like it's still not in / working properly, which is kind of a disappointment. Hopefully it will be functioning soon.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Klaaz posted:

I would really like to see SCUM getting some more single player content but I already gave up on the game at this point.

It just has a really long development cycle due to a small dev team, but it's still getting updated regularly. They are hoping to release 0.5 by the end of the year which is implied to add some more fun stuff like fishing, boats, map expansion and some other stuff.

I'm not playing as actively as before while waiting for the bigger updates but I haven't really changed my opinion on SCUM - if they manage to add the things they are planning / showing in previews, it's going to be really, really good. But emphasis will need to be more on the survival side - and hopefully the upcoming revamp to the metabolism / medical / disease system will move the game more into that direction. Lack of single player / PVE content is definitely an issue and I'm hoping they'll "soon" get around to working missions, events and NPC's into the game and expanding the lore of the island/background more.

But yeah it's a really slow process and I can't blame people for dropping it at some point. But if you've bought the game, check it out after 0.5 rolls in, there might be something interesting and new to try out. (it still won't be nearly finished by that point, though.)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The Long Dark recently had a new patch too. I haven't played since the last story update which was a while ago. At least I think we're still waiting for a new chapter? Did the latest patch add anything new and exciting aside the new region?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

If you haven't played TLD in a while there's also a custom setting now which allows you to adjust the sandbox to your liking. I always tend to tone wolves down a bit but check the settings, the defaults are very punishing.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The story mode in TLD is fine as long as it's actually following the story but the amount of stupid collecting busywork to make it seem longer is just mind boggling. Can you believe it was even worse before they completely revamped the story mode?

After not playing TLD for a while and playing other survival games, I completely forgot you can't start a fire with sticks or something you can collect by yourself easily, you always have to have something to start it with. Tried the new map and promptly froze to death pretty fast after not finding any semblance of habitation anywhere.

That said I do agree that TLD has an immersion not many other games have. It might be far fetched to call it realistic but hey at least you're not fighting zombies in this game (yet anyway).

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Valheim came out yesterday and a few of my friends tried it, although I wasn't able to catch the stream. So far it seems like a combination of a viking survival game and Dark Souls combat. If anyone tries it, give a short review.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been playing Valheim with some friends and it's been a lot of fun for a few days at least. It has a kind of a "homely" atmosphere and a sense of adventuring/exploring.

We tried our luck crossing the ocean for the first time and, well

we ended up marooned on a small swamp island with endless spawns of draugrs and blobs and spent some time making a satellite base to a nearby island with a portal to get our stuff back more easily. Needless to say it seems like our viking adventure will need to continue later on with more respect for the ocean

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I built my own viking house.

As you can probably tell I don't usually build houses in survival games. (in honesty it's expanded upon an existing house.)

In our co-op others have build our house, but even if simplistic, it's still fun and I wanted to try it out too. Building the roof properly is a nightmare and probably would require planning the house shape in advance.

Still it has room for a forge but I'll probably make a separate house for the kiln and the smelter.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Whats highest tier gear? Im at bronze atm

If anyone answers that tag it as a spoiler because for once I've gone into a game completely blind and I'm enjoying it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

GruntyThrst posted:

I am immensely enjoying Valheim but for the love of Odin give me a horse or a magic stag or something. The boss power does not count.

Also maybe I'm just garbage but the stamina regen is waaaaay too slow for the pseudo Dark Souls combat they're going for. I'm spending 3/4 of a fight walking around kiting enemies to regain stamina.

I'm using the Stagbreaker hammer (with the axe/shield for a backup set) and I definitely feel this. Usually a friend is tanking and I'm doing crowd control by hammering draugrs and skeletons to bits.

Despite what I said I'm gonna want one spoiler for upgrading Stagbreaker:

what do you need to upgrade the workbench to level 5? I'd love to upgrade ^^ further but I can't even though we're into iron recipes already. We're currently clearing a swamp area for iron. Is it a next area thing?

The AOE on the hammer is massive and it stuns too. It almost feels like cheating when we reached a big draugr village on the border of the swamp biome where the draugrs were hanging out inside the houses with spawners, and I just blasted the houses on the outside damaging everything inside too (and they couldn't open the door themselves)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've probably gotten killed by a falling tree trunk more than the enemy. (most of those were in the beginning, but still)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I started the solo just to try out building, and while it was fun, I really wouldn't want to go through the resource gathering on my own. Any serious playing will be with our 3-4 man viking task force.

That said I do hope they add some viking instruments for some sea shanties.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Ambaire posted:

poo poo like this is what I live for! Smashing an oak tree with another oak tree from the other side of this meadow. Already got the fine wood bow from another oak tree, this time without even making the crude one to begin with.

I tried this on the birches, and got a tree down, but the log itself didn't take any damage after that even when I tried rolling it around into stones and beech trees.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

We met the serpent on our first raft on the ocean but he hasn't shown up since. Makes me think if he's scripted to appear on the first time but stays away when you got a proper boat.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I can't build. Like, at all. A friend of mine taught me some basics but I still struggle with reinforcing the structures. Is there something I can do to have the roof ridge not be marked on red? (I know the house design is also kinda wonky) I've added a lot of support beams all over, but on the roof I can't put the last piece on since there is no 1 meter 26 degree part.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Chop pine trees in the forest for some core wood. You can use that to reinforce your walls with 4m poles and effectively make your building half as tall as far as the ceiling is concerned.

Okay yeah, I can't chop down birch or pine on my single player world yet, it'll probably be better trying when I have access to better wood material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Nordick posted:

You can chop pine trees with just a stone axe. It's just birch and oak that need a metal one.

Ohhh, thanks for the reminder.

I put some 4m pine logs as vertical supports and it seems a lot better! Thanks for the tips.