Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

mdemone posted:

Probably referring to the rumblings about executive-order amnesty for immigrants. If that actually happens I think at least five right-wing blowhards will die from apoplexy.

We can only hope.

In ACA news, my Motehr is pissed right off because her Medicare premiums went up and she can't afford her prescription drugs she uses to treat her bipolar disorder. I directed her to healthcare.gov and did a little digging and it sounds like she should get a tax credit, rebate or something but a lot of that poo poo is just about to kick in.

The thing that kills me is she didn't even TRY the website or attempt to seek out coverage provided by the new law. She's just surrounded by people who say it's a poo poo law (it is), and "friends" who do her taxes but hasn't even bothered to see if she's eligible for anything covered under it.

What do I tell her? She asked ME to go poking around but I'm pretty sure Healthcare.gov wants HER SS#, DOB and all that poo poo so I doubt I'd get very far. She says she's in the "doughnut hole" but I thought that was closed now?

Help me, SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Thank you, gentlemen. I want to try and help her and know that (eventually at least) the ACA will help her but most of her meds are psychiatric, have to to do with mental health issues and I already know our country is poo poo at dealing with that in the first place so there's that.

Plus, the fact that she's half crazy and diagnosed bi-polar in the first place precludes her from taking any initiative to seek out options. She's like a child and an absolute master of self sabotage and helplessness. She's putting me in the unique position of defending this chickenshit law, surrounded by friends who are telling her that Obama and the ACA are loving her over. Sounds like she's starting to believe it.

Even funnier (haha) is that almost all of her friends are gay and they STILL hate Obama. One (her neighbor) even has AIDS and was denied visitation rights to his partner when he died. She donated money to the Obama campaign in 2008 (money she really didn't have) and sounds like she's on the verge becoming a Republican.

I suppose I should take this to the PPACA thread but I can't find it. Thanks again though, guys.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

It's weird that people would get pissed off when a cop shoots an unarmed suspect who's actually trying to surrender to the egregious crime of walking down the street. What's wrong with these uppity animals?

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Ferguson, Missouri[/url]

God drat. Is there a dedicated thread on this?

Radish posted:

This sort of thing is really scary. Like what do you do when the police is actively suppressing media coverage of their possibly illegal activities and the justice system does nothing about it?

Record it on your phone and post it on the internet?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 12, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

zoux posted:

So, how are conservatives spinning this so that it makes the police officer actually a hero who was at zero fault?

Kid was a friend of the family thug. The photos I've see of him show him flashing "gang signs", wearing a Nike t-shirt and having a hat with an creased bill. Case closed.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

Oh there is certainly plenty that can be done to enhance English language skills and proficiency, primarily by giving money to teachers and educational programs.

Yet strangely the GOP has completely gutted those programs and grants as I mentioned above. Funny thing huh?

Exactly.

I wouldn't have a problem with mandating English or making it "official" so long as funding is existed for free English classes. I seriously believe this is one area where conservatives have a point (let's all speak the same language) and I'm in favor it, so long as it's not "SPEAK ENGLISH OR GET OUT!" as much as "Here is a place that offers free English classes and will help you assimilate American culture, seek jobs and live a better life."

I don't want to stake my liberal cred on it, but I don't see anything wrong with providing a way for everyone to be able to communicate and speaking English seems like a reasonable place to start. I wouldn't move to France without doing everything I could to learn French first.

And before anyone jumps on me, I'd also be for mandatory bilingual education in High School, not to mention making sure that the existing citizens who DO have English as their first language be literate in it as well.

SirKibbles posted:

Mlk's son is on msnbc talking about it now. There's going to be a rally in Ferguson.

edit: Gov Nixon gave a speech to a few clergy and there's this lady in the background trying not to snap off.

What year is it? Some things never change.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Amergin posted:

Why should I be taxed to fund English education for immigrants when they should, by all accounts, learn the language enough to get by before they even come here?

If you're moving to a country to create a new life for yourself, don't jump in without learning the language first.

They'll make better workers and it'll cost you less money in the long run. You'll provide better customer service and your workers will communicate better, not only with you (their boss) but with their fellow employees.

I know your schtick but it's a win/win if everyone can communicate.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 14, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Prester John posted:

I'm also willing to give Obama some benefit of the doubt here because it is not inconceivable that a strong discussion about race from him would be the signal to start RAHOWA that any number (probably dozens) of these militia groups have been waiting for. I can't wait to read the books coming out about this decades from now, because based on my time spent around those paranoid whackjobs, they must be absolutely frothing right now. I mean they were bad and getting worse when I walked away 3+ years ago, now who knows.

This is from a few pages back, but from the sound of this, you used to be in a militia or white supremacist group? Yes? Can you start an A/T thread or something because that sounds interesting.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

What's so controversial and dangerous about pointing out that shooting an unarmed kid 6 times, twice in the face is something we maybe shouldn't aspire to? I'd be happy to lose the vote of anyone who disagrees with that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

DoubleDonut posted:

I don't think anyone's refuting that. We're refuting the idea that talking about race at all would be some catastrophe that would immediately give complete control of the House, 60 seats of the Senate, and the Presidency to the GOP. We're also saying that even if it is politically bad for the Democratic party to talk about race, it is still necessary if any progress is to be made ever.

I think Democratic candidates could conceivably get more votes if they demonstrated the courage of their convictions and spoke up once in a while. Or at least enough votes from enough traditionally apathetic types to offset the soft racists they're worried about losing. Most Democratic voters I know wish the people they vote for would speak MORE, not less. And most apathetic voters I know are that way because no one speaks up. Most of my friends who voted for Obama are disappointed with him for being a huge pussy all of the time.

Obama won (twice) by speaking strongly to exactly these types of issues. He galvanized the base. The speech he gave on race after the Wright nonsense played out is a good example. Like others have said, he beat a war hero and the whitest whitey who ever whited. Rather convincingly I might add.

People are ready for it and want to hear it. What the gently caress does Obama have to be afraid of or even to lose at this point by appearing controversial? Jesus. At this stage of the game if he said he folded his toilet paper to wipe his rear end instead of crumpling, it'd be in the 24 hour news cycle with "Is Obama an Elitist?" headlines.

edit: double post

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 19, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

computer parts posted:

The controversial part is why the officer did it.

Elaborate.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Are cowards ever really afraid of something in particular? I always thought it was a kind of generalized "please don't hurt me" thing.

Joementum already pointed out (and so did I) that Obama gave big speech on race 6 years ago.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 19, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

computer parts posted:

Specifically the controversy is "The officer shot this kid because he's a virulent racist and racism is still a problem in America" instead of "He shot this kid because he was an urban thug/a shoplifter/militarization of the police/etc."

You even see it here - the Michael Brown thread was obsessed with militarization of the police instead of "guy shooting a black guy because he was black".

My point is that both of things are controversial. Also Obama doesn't have much to lose by speaking to it. He might have a bit to gain actually. You seem(ed) to be arguing the latter.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

computer parts posted:

One of them is controversial because it acknowledges what white people did, and one of them is controversial because it makes white people feel how black people feel around the police.

OK then. I think it's controversial because shooting a robbery suspect who's surrendering six times seems a tad excessive. Even leaving race out of it, which I realize is impossible.

Thanks for clarifying though.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

amanasleep posted:

Obama could probably gain but he clearly believes that Democrats generally may lose.

I'm starting to develop a genuine distaste for pragmatism.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Prester John posted:

I was raised to be crazy

Well, don't do anything you don't want to do or that gets you feeling edgy and uncomfortable or otherwise experiencing flashbacks. If/when you feel up to it, it sounds like it'd be a cool read. Thanks for the reply and carry on.

Hope you're doing OK.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

computer parts posted:

Of course it should be talked about. It's just ironic that a black man initiating the conversation is the worst possible person to do so.

He's the best person to do so. He's the loving President. And, yes, I get the irony.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

computer parts posted:

Because the attack ads write themselves. "[Candidate] supports Obama, who said all of your struggles and hard work was stolen from black people! Do you really want someone in office who supports pulling out the race card?" etc and so forth.

How is "You know...um...it might be a good thing if police didn't...uhh...you know...shoot unarmed American citizens in the face and head. Be they black or white. Red or Green. Yellow or Orange. It has no place in a civcilized society. Moving forward, maybe we should...uh...you know...not do that as much"

How does that "write attack ads" that equate to "your success was built on the backs of black people"?

What you posted has nothing to do with what a lot of us would like the President to say about it. And none of us have offered as much. It wouldn't matter what much what he said anyway but the idea of "don't scare off soft racists because we'll lose elections" continues to strike me s profoundly retarded, even as I continue reading your posts.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

computer parts posted:

This isn't necessarily true. Ask otherwise progressive people in their 40s what they think about "forced busing".

I'm 47 and I think was a good idea.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

computer parts posted:

The GOP is doing exactly what hard leftists would do if they controlled a significant part of the federal government. It's a partisan thing, nothing more.

Hard leftists would shut down the government? Or do you mean the way "hard leftists" gave GWB everything he asked for?

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

Seriously, is your entire perception of "those loving rurals" based upon old television shows or something?

I think he's basing it on their voting habits, the legislation that comes from their elected representatives and the corresponding things they say.

In related news, I saw today on the news that teenage pregnancy rates are at an all time low and have been dropping steadily since the 1950's. I wonder what scientific advancement in the area of "birth control" correlates with this? Oddly, the only places where teen pregnancies seem to rise are in the south and southwest. Areas where abstinence only sex education is taught.

By State:

http://www.wltx.com/story/news/health/2014/08/20/teen-births-most-are-in-the-south-and-southwest/14329829/

New Mexico had the highest teenage pregnancy rate though. not sure what that's all about.

http://www.cdc.gov/teenpregnancy/aboutteenpreg.htm

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/teen-birth-rates-on-the-decline-says-cdc/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/05/teen-pregnancy-rate_n_5269203.html

quote:

Among the states, New Mexico had the highest teen pregnancy rate, in 2010, with 80 pregnancies per 1,000 women in the age group, followed by Mississippi, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and Oklahoma. New Hampshire had the lowest rate, with 28 pregnancies per 1,000, followed by New Hampshire, Vermont, Minnesota, Massachusetts and Maine.

The teen birth rate also declined noticeably, to 34.4 births per 1,000 teens, a 44 percent drop from its peak in 1991, when it was 61.8 births per 1,000. The teen abortion rate fell 66 percent, from 43.5 abortions per 1,000 in 1988 to 14.7 per 1,000 in 2010, according to the report.

Of course FOX News reported the story with this headline:

quote:

Teen births down in Mississippi, other US states

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/08/20/teen-births-down-in-most-us-states/

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Thank Christ that Mike Brown's family got a private autopsy performed. This thing stinks to high loving heaven.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

420DD Butts posted:

The issue is that the vast majority of "frothing Limbaugh listeners" are middle-upper middle class suburbanites, not people living in rural towns in flyover country.

Citation needed because I'm not certain this is true. Not saying you're wrong, I'd just like to know because the only thing I can provide on an anecdotal level is that no matter where I go, and especially in wastelands like Nebraska and Bumfuck, Iowa, I can always find the Rush Limbaugh show playing somewhere on the dial.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

Here's (Facebook link) Paul Ryan pouring ice water over Mitt Romney's head.

"Ha ha. That is cold!"

I thought you'd go with "Water. Wet. Cold."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

ThirdPartyView posted:

Are they planning on re-enacting David Byrne's self-interview promo for "Stop Making Sense"?

I'll tell you later.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Amergin posted:

In 2012 there was a sizable and legitimate push-back against the GOP foreign policy as being too "hawkish" and paranoid about other large world powers, namely China and Russia. Virtually every liberal response to the GOP mentioning Russia was "psh the Cold War ended years ago grandpa!"

So not so much "I told you so!" or "Romney/Ryan 2016!" as "the GOP foreign policy isn't as out-of-touch as a lot of liberals like to think it is/portray it as."

Invade everyone. Force is the only answer. Killing is the only way to stop war.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

Here's the phrasing of the question:

This is a pretty positive phrasing of right-to-work laws.
Isn't branding something.

drat, no poo poo.

What if you worded it "Some States want to pass a law that allows employers to fire you for any reason at all and pretty much do anything they want (limiting break times and sick leave, forced unpaid overtime, no collective bargaining) leaving you with no legal recourse. Would you support such a law?"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

radical meme posted:

The Bundy Clan continues to provide comic relief and fodder for late night tv hosts.

The Bundy solution is just loving let me do whatever I want to do.

I really feel that girl's cry for help.

Let's see here. All ready for school. Got my pen, my paper, my books, my homework, my computer and my lunch. Off I...OH poo poo! I forgot my KNIFE!

Number of times I've needed a pocket knife through my entire education: ZERO.

computer parts posted:

That part at least is not right to work.

I get that mixed up all the time.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Boon posted:

Is this a serious post? Someone help me I cannot tell.

Pohl posted:

I'm rather confused myself.

You guys can't read his post history and know he was kidding?

Thanks for this. I'd never heard of it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

eggyolk posted:

That's awesome. I was an independent contractor for a year and a half at a sign painting company. It wad great for my boss. We weren't allowed to work for anyone else or he'd fire us, couldn't request days off (I worked 44 days in a row at one point), no holidays or sick leave, no benefits of any kind. 11 hour days were common and we had a couple 18-20 hour days when he promised clients too much. He bought an expensive company truck that nobody could use for work cause he didnt want it dirtied up when he took his motorcycle to the track every few weeks. I lost an entire paycheck because I got a parking ticket during a job and he deducted it. After 14 months with no raises or benefits I managed to sneak in interviews elsewhere and "exercised my right to work". What a horrible practice.

E: Oh, and the only reason he gave overtime was because he was already being sued for not providing it for years. It was a perk of the job, he said. You should've seen the amount of childish backtalk they'd give to union guys if we had to share a job site.

Right to Work , Eat poo poo and Die.

Regarding tan suits (and this is incredibly stupid):

http://content.nilimahome.com/media...%2BStand-Up.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/04/02/article-0-126AF01A000005DC-254_634x478.jpg

But let's get to the real matter here. Where's the flag pin?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

Did Peter King just say that real Americans don't care about the economy?

Obama talks about the economy, "what about terrorism?!?!" He talks about foreign policy, "What about JOBS and the ECONOMY?!?!?!"

It loving sucks because if Republicans could just stick to the legitimate reasons to take Obama task and stop acting like petulant children, it would have more resonance and lead to a better discussion, more unity, a common discourse and maybe even better government, but all they seem to really do is wait for Obama to say that the sky is blue and up is up and then claim it's really red and up is actually down.

I honestly never thought it could get this bad and I naively thought (twice) that President Obama would actually help alleviate this problem. The GOP just dug in harder. If Hillary is elected in 2016, and I'm being dead serious, she should advocate for the exact opposite of her policy positions because that's the only things Republicans want to pass. If she wins and says "Repeal Obamacare!" and, again, I'm seriously not even joking anymore, the GOP will say "Hold on. Hold it. Hold it. Let's not get crazy here."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

There are few things that are actually necessary to bring to school.

Where would you rank "knife"?

I mean OK. It's cool that that yours came in handy "a couple of times" and all that, when you had to cut an apple or carve a pinewood derby car, but seriously. Is "knife" before or after "claw hammer", "acetylene torch", "BB Gun" or "ice pick"? So, between the two of us, a knife came in handy exactly TWICE, if I'm doing the math correctly, and both times it was in an "Oh. How convenient" way? I don't think preventing 14 year old kids from bringing weapons to school constitutes fascism or a violation of the 2nd Amendment.

My parents would have dressed me down and threatened to kick my rear end if I decided to bring a loving knife to school. I look forward to sending my child to a school that disallows knives.

• Locked thread