Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

I guess I'll go ahead and say it.

What kind of drooling retard watches that video of a guy jumping in front of racecars in a turn, sees him get hit by the back end as the driver is swerving away and thinks "yea that was murder"?

goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't think anyone watched that particular video.

I would love to see it.

:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJWTauPGp9g:nws:

watch how close the car immediately before Stewart comes to hitting the kid

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
even if he did intentionally kill that kid, the NFL set the precedent that murderers are people too so his career should be safe

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Smoke gunning his engine was most likely because that's the easiest way to get a sprint car to turn

people are just ignoring the car immediately in front of Stewart swerving to miss the kid, too, the kid was 100% at fault at least as far as that particular video shows

don't get out of your car and charge across the track before the pace car has the field during a night time sprint car feature, it's like waaaaaaaaaay up the list of Dumb Things You Can Do

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Mahoning posted:

Yeah it pretty much looks like Tony Stewart is following the line of the 45 car, which narrowly avoids hitting the young driver. In the video even, the kid disappears behind the 45 car for a second or two. It's not inconceivable that Tony Stewart didn't see the kid in the dark racing suit until he was very close to him and then gunned the engine to avoid hitting him. It was really his only option if he already thought he was going to hit him, since turning the wheel while not in the throttle does nothing in these sprint cars on a dirt track.

Or maybe he really did do something stupid like try to scare/clip the kid. I don't know. But the first scenario I just described is a hell of a lot more likely. The kid didn't deserve to die or even be hurt at all, but getting out of your race car and walking around on the track while other cars are still running is like Russian Roulette. With how dumb and childish race car drivers act I'm surprised this is the first time this has happened to be honest. Maybe NASCAR will start suspending drivers that do this poo poo and basically condone this sort of childish display.

Anyways, I hope Tony loses every dime he has in the civil case, but he's not a murderer.

Well if your first paragraph is what happened, he shouldn't even lose a dime.

The whole incident happened because Stewart unsuccessfully went for a slide job, never touching the kid, and the kid never let off and stuffed himself in the wall. Not only was it originally a racing accident, but in terms of sprints specifically, the kid was more at fault for getting in the wall than Stewart is.

I mean, I'm not one to victim blame here but as a sprint car fan my whole life the kid seems at fault to me all the way around for the whole thing.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Though, in full disclosure I've been a Stewart fan for over 20 years, since he was just starting out in midgets.

To balance that out, I'll post this reminder that Stewart might be a loving lunatic, I dunno.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Mahoning posted:

The burden of proof in a civil trial is a hell of a lot different than in a criminal trial. It's "based on the preponderance of evidence" instead of "beyond a reasonable doubt".

All they would need to prove in a civil trial is that Tony Stewart recklessly tried to scare the kid and killed him. If 50.1% of the evidence supports that, Tony would lose.

No, I'm not a lawyer. Yes, I might be talking out of my rear end.

The far more likely outcome here is that before a civil trial even happens Smoke will do everything in his power to provide whatever the family needs.

He's an rear end, but he's also one of the most charitable figures in American professional sports.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
If Stewart wanted to drive that team couldn't stop him. I'd believe that he made the call if that's what's being reported.

This is a sport where drivers have died at the start of the race and the race was continued. If what happened last night was a terrible accident, then I dunno how him racing today would be an issue. Sometimes fatalities in racing make races end and drivers park, sometimes they don't. It's something oddly specific to auto racing that you won't find in any other sporting event.

Being involved in racing either as a fan or an active participant means that on some level you accept death as a part of it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
yeah it probably is, tbh

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Eifert Posting posted:

Isn't this the same guy who nearly killed a few people last year?

he's the guy that broke his leg in a sprint last year, in sprints Jason Leffler, ex-NASCAR, died in one also

Kyle Larson put half his car in the stands at Daytona last year and wounded ~20

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ALFbrot posted:

BUT GUNNING THE ENGINE IS THE ONLY WAY THESE CARS CAN TURN

*six cars coast past man on track, seventh guns the engine to turn*

*man runs towards one specific car*

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

CBJSprague24 posted:

...because, if I remember right, didn't he spin to avoid t-boning another driver?

....that he didn't see, at night, immediately after a yellow was thrown, 'cause it was in the middle of the track

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ALFbrot posted:

*driver of said car guns throttle*

I refuse to believe that, at those speeds, gunning the throttle is the best way to turn. The car wasn't going very fast, but suddenly, the huge back tires were rotating very, very fast, because noted racing hothead Tony Stewart decided to be the one driver to push his foot down on the gas pedal.

edit: No, I don't think Tony meant to hit or kill the kid. I think, at worst, he was trying to scare him. At best, he couldn't avoid him. I think it's likely a lot closer to worst than best.

See the rear tires? Fun experiment. Take a paper cup, lay it on its side. Push it. See how it spins on its axis? Now push it harder. Does it spin faster?

Physics :science:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Brogeoisie posted:

yeah, this is true, but because of the speed he was going at, he wouldn't have killed Ward if he just coasted and clipped him. He accelerated, which exponentially increases the force applied to him when he made contact.

you're right it probably would have been better to clip the guy in the femurs with the leading edge of the front wing

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Magugu posted:

Ive drove 360 sprints with ASCS. I think I know a thing or two about racing cars. At medium to high speeds, yes, you have to use the throttle to get through a turn. At low speeds they turn very easily, its just wobbly as hell.

I don't disagree that they can turn, but I think we're underestimating the speeds they are at.

It's a half mile track and Tony only makes it around once when it happens. No one is hard on the brakes, as it appears to be a car up against the wall. We also don't know exactly when the yellow comes out. How hard would you have been on the brakes, and what speed would you have been at about the same place as that on the track?

It looks to me like they are still doing 80-100mph.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Fag Boy Jim posted:

That was extremely good

I agree

throw some more gloves rear end in a top hat

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Magugu posted:

Not knowing this track, racing speeds are probably 80-110. The flagman would have likely thrown yellow 2-5 seconds after the initial spin. With sprint cars, they are always quick on the yellow.

When your off throttle you lose speed fast due to the drag of the wings. I could be full throttle coming out of 4, and be entering the pits in turn 2 without touching the brakes. The brakes do suck in these cars, you learn the fine art of aerobraking.

I would say that he was 30-40 MPH when tony hit him. Again, not fact, just my educated opinion.

I can agree with this, you'd know, except the quick on the yellow part. I've seen really lax flagging at OCFS during Outlaw races when they have their own flaggers, nevermind when guys like the CRSA are there.

They run mid 15 second laps at Canandaguia, and it's a half mile, so that's like an average of 125mph or so? So straight speeds are probably 140 or so.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Kirios posted:

This story is the top headline on every news website. :stare:

There is no way in hell NASCAR is going to be able to sweep this under the rug.

lol it's always great when people underestimate NASCAR like this

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Do these guys have some kind of insurance policies for racing? Do they sign any kind of consent forms prior to a race? Does getting out of your car and approaching another negate any of that coverage?

a lot of people who race at that level not only have no insurance but also go into debt to race

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Fag Boy Jim posted:

is it really? i mean, i know it's already stupid to do this in a late model race, and about a million times dumber to do it in a sprint or mods race, but don't people do this anyway?

it's more of an open wheel/fender thing than a dirt/paved thing IMO

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm not gonna even say he wasn't trying to scare the kid, but people are swinging so far to one direction there's gotta be some argument otherwise

I just wish the kid stayed in his car

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
We here at Bass Pro Shops simply cannot allow the products we sell to be associated with the murder of humans

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I wish NASCAR was like other sports and never had fights

e- also note that all of NASCAR fandom and most of the NASCAR thread here gets really mad when drivers get penalized for fighting

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

leica posted:

They DO encourage it openly saying "have at it boys" so you really can't fault the drivers for doing something they're encouraged to do. It's nothing new really, has been going on for decades, and has never been an issue until now.

Also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mRY79mat34

it's not an issue now, either :ssh:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

leica posted:

Haha not yet.

the main difference is the kid didn't wait for the pace car

as long as drivers do that no one is gonna care

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Cojawfee posted:

Well, the last time he went around, he pushed Ward high and made him tap the wall.

they never touched, they don't use spotters, and he likely didn't know a car spun unless he heard it

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

that's a badass Newman tat

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Byolante posted:

Because its always fun to condemn sportsmen as poor role models the kid was just acting out what he sees in NASCAR who don't really object to this idiocy. Also getting run over by one of the most high profile proponents of getting out of your car and yelling at people gives it a little bit more.

Most dirt oval racers and fans have a strong dislike of NASCAR

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Parmesan Basil posted:

This is a bad thread so shut it down please.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

canti32 posted:

A slutty, revealing outfit would have been better than an all black helmet and firesuit :science:

Smoke would have seen him then for sure

especially if he was holding a turkey leg

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Cubey has hated Stewart for years, since he probably won't disclose that fact himself here.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Cubey posted:

What the gently caress? I've been a Stewart fan since he was in IndyCar. I can't even imagine where the gently caress you got that idea from but it's dead wrong.

I'm busting your chops

also I'd like to point out that most angry drivers who walk out on track generally wait for the field to be picked up by the pace car

like, I don't think I've ever seen anyone charge out on the very next lap after a wreck, and others will attest that I've seen a looooooot of races

maybe I'm forgetting one I dunno

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the thing that's really hilarious is Stewart never touched him, and all things considered didn't even run him that hard lol

e- in the cars I mean

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
anyone who works around open wheel race cars, specifically of the big tire variety, know what happens if you hit someone with one

there's a really bad video from years ago that illustrates why and no I'm not gonna post it

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Trin Tragula posted:

I'd bet that this is purely because nobody ever thought a driver in an FIA event would be so utterly stupid as to do anything on a live course other than get the gently caress off it as quickly as possible, so they don't need a specific rule to tell you exactly what to do if it happens. It'd be like inserting a rule that says what you should do if the driver's cockpit should suddenly become filled with custard and traps him there with its non-Newtonian properties.

the FIA also doesn't have rules against driving a Ferrari in GT despite the fact that that's more dangerous than walking across a hot race track

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

cname posted:

And stop with the autismal robot comparisons. "You know, you're statistically more likely to die doing X than walking on a hot race track." Watch the loving video, prior to the collision. He wasn't just "walking across a hot race track" he was trying to stop cars by getting in front of them and jumping out of the way way when they got close.

lol, why did you respond seriously to a joke that anyone who posts in the racing threads here would get instantly?

e- also yeah hearing NYC sports talk rattle on for hours about this when they never cover any racing otherwise is getting on my nerves

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 12, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the worst instance of injury to someone on track happened in an F1 race, to boot, imagine if Ward and Stewart both died

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the cars were under caution that means nothing bad can happen unless it's intentional

e- also he lived don't worry guys

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
part of the problem is people don't understand that sprint cars and stock cars are completely different

everyone bitches about Buschwhackers, so people assume that this is similar, so there's a perception that Stewart was beating up on a bush league instead of basically competing in a different, less popular but still professional series

it's more similar to Bo Jackson, and that's what non racing sports guys should understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
why does everyone ignore the white and blue 45 that dodges Ward and Ward steps back from?

• Locked thread