Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EdsTeioh posted:

There's supposed to be a "Management of the Ring" mode coming at some point. Not sure if it's going to be any more robust than the one in Returns, but it's something.

Was that ever actually confirmed? I remember the answer on the pre-launch Stream being more of a "we're focusing on getting the game out now, but will be adding more stuff based on input and feedback from the fans" type of answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

Yeah, many of the base heads lack a back of the head where the wrestler they're totally not based off of has hair. There are "bald back of the head" parts buried among... I think the hair parts, so it's not difficult to work around with a pinch of care.

Those parts are the first entries in the "subparts" list way towards the bottom of hair and other various head accessories, so it takes a bit to get to them but they definitely are there.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I just uploaded a couple wrestlers to the workshop but they have blank thumbnails (this was probably about 20-40 minutes ago now). Is this something that just takes time or did something go wrong somewhere?

EDIT: Ok something's definetely messed up. It appears that I get no preview thumbnail when I try to upload wrestlers, and when I tried to upload a referee the preview thumbnail changed to that of a ref I had subscribed to. Anybody else experiencing this?

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 12, 2017

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Evil Canadian posted:

Picked up fire pro on steam never played one of these games before. Is it possible to set up a 30 man royal rumble in this game? Most I can see to do is some sort of 8 man battle royale, but I don't know jack so far so I just assume I am doing it wrong.

I believe as of right now you can only do 8 man battle royals; they've never really implemented a system where more people come into a match (not to say they won't do it though, it's just not something that exists in the game currently)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Artelier posted:

Two quick qs about THE NEW FIRE PRO THAT I JUST SAW ON STEAM

- it says early access, is there anything to look out for besides (probably) wonky online?
- how big is the file size?

I skimmed the last couple of pages but might have missed the answers to these, sorry

The devs have a known issues page in the community hub, mostly stuff involving edited wrestlers and wonky online like you said. The game itself is something to the tune of roughly 3.5 GB

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

Cool, the game needs more than three (even if you don't spend much time looking at the arena.)

Would like a "seedy as gently caress bingo hall/VFW" option, though. For proper wrestling history.

I know Fire Pro Returns had like a "town hall" option so that's probably in the cards somewhere down the line.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

simosimo posted:

For those who like the shitters like me. I added a 4th Job Squad attire.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=974322940

Loving the presentation work here.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

C. Everett Koop posted:

I know people are cranking out wrestling and :wtc: dudes by the truckloads, but is anyone making any decent MMA CAWs? I need my Bas Rutten fix in this game.

There appears to be 4 or so on the workshop as is, no idea how well they play but this one seems to have good comments.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ribtstu posted:

i will be waiting for newlegacyinc to tdo the wrestling revolution stream

They're doing it right now, in fact. :haw:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

C. Everett Koop posted:

So is there a way to get rid of CAWs that you don't need anymore? I went on a downloading spree but I'd like to trim down on some duplicates, but even after unsubscribing they're still there.

From the Main Menu, go to "Edit" -> "Workshop" -> "Uninstall Item", then just highlight who you want to uninstall and proceed from there.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Aki's not dead, per se, it's just that most likely nobody who made the Revenge/No Mercy-era games works there anymore, and they're too busy making Style Savvy games :(

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nut Bunnies posted:

Reverifying and rebooting/restating haven’t worked. Trying to troubleshoot with them over email now.

Is this through steam's support or through some sort of spike-chunsoft support? Just curious

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PunkBoy posted:

I haven't played any of the previous Fire Pros, so what's promotion mode like?

In Final Fire Pro Wrestling for the GBA, Spike put in a mode called "Management of the Ring", which was basically a promotion/booking mode. You'd take charge of one of the game's 14 promotions (or make your own), and attempt to be the top-rated promotion in the game overall (I believe at the conclusion of a full yearly cycle). You would do this through running monthly PPV events (which could also be tournaments or a 5 on 5 inter-promotional show, hiring and firing wrestlers, and managing TV and merch deals. The key features are as thus (note: so as not to confuse I'm going to be using the names of real promotions and wrestlers)

1. Styles. Every single promotion had a style that it was known for. There was "Showman" style (WCW, WWE, FMW), "Kings Road" (AJPW, NOAH), "Strong Style" (NJPW, Zero-One, IGF), "Stoic" style (UFC, Rings, Pancrase) and "Luchador" (AAA, Michinoku Pro, Dragon Gate). Every wrestler also had a primary style they were good at, from the ones above, and including two more; "Garbage" a.k.a. the hardcore style, which people like Abdullah the Butcher would be grouped in, and "Freestyle" which I think is partially MMA based but am unsure at this time. You didn't necessarily have to run every match in a promotion's primary style, in fact to put on good shows it was a good idea to mix things up. See, every match you booked in a show also had the ability to have its style set, for evaluation purposes (i.e. the match rating at the end of the match). So doing a mix of styles, as long as you had wrestlers that could do them, would lead to better ratings and a better overall attendance at your shows. As an example, I'm currently playing through MOR as WCW. My roster is made up almost entirely of people who primarily do Showman wrestling, but I've picked up two guys who primarily are Strong Style wrestlers. This allows for more variety in my show, and thus a bigger payout at the end of a show.

2. Wrestler fame, health, and morale. Every single wrestler has fame that actually varies depending on the region you wrestle in (more on that below). They also have a health readout in the stats screen that shows whether or not they have any wear and tear on them from previous shows. This is divided into several sections: Neck, arms, stomach, and legs, as shown below. Green of course symbolizes a fully healthy area, yellow and orange represent various states of damage, with red being the most damaged and thus most at risk for injury.

So sometimes you'll have to give someone the month off to recover, as long as you have the proper medical facility. Wrestlers also have morale based on where in the card they are booked, how often they are booked, how often they win, etc. Shaking up your cards to keep some guys happy can be necessary.

3. World Tour. You could book shows in America, Europe, Japan, or Mexico. This could be helpful for a variety of reasons. First off it can benefit wrestlers who are better known in that region, allowing you to have a better match evaluation with them and thus again, more money. Additionally it also affects your costs on how much it costs to book each venue, but also keep in mind that total seating of each venue also varies by region. A Medium Hall in the US will be larger than a Medium Hall in Mexico, for example, but the Mexican hall also costs less than half as much than the American one for only 2,000 seats less capacity. You can also boost attendance by using advertising (posters, magazine ads, tv, etc.)

4. Amenities. Some of your money can and should be spent on amenities for the promotion under "Gym", the most important of which being medical-related (ring doctor, medical room), but the rest also having various levels of importance for giving wrestlers a morale boost (like having an actual Locker Room, for example).

5. Tournaments. In addition to booking regular shows (which had a max of 5 matches per card), you can also book singles or tag tournaments, where up to 8 wrestlers or up to 8 tag teams compete for some vague championship accolade (as far as I can tell you can't do tournaments that have a title at stake).

6. Promotional War and Peace. From time to time, other promotions can challenge you (or you can challenge them) to have a PPV that is a 5 on 5, i.e. 5 singles matches between 5 of your guys and 5 of theirs. So far I haven't won one of these but it's a good source of money. It's also a good way to raid titles from other promotions (more on that later). You can also loan wrestlers out to other promotions for some money (and vice-versa), or even form an alliance with another promotion for the purpose of trading wrestlers between you and them.

7. Talent Initiatives. The other way to get more wrestlers is just by outright signing them. In addition to trying to sign wrestlers from other promotions, you have a massive set of free agents that are grouped by nation/territory. Signing someone out of another promotion is difficult if they're happy where they are (look at their morale), signing free agents is considerably easier but you have to offer them enough and sometimes that feels like a crap shoot. Essentially the game gives you 3 money options to offer them and i feel it's an RNG as to whether or not they'll accept. Still though, this is how you build your roster. Also as you can see, this is how the other promotions will build their roster.

No I don't know what Matt Hardy is doing in Michinoku Pro. Also it's important to point out that this is a CAW, yes you can include CAWs in the MOR no problem, and the CPU will even hire them.

8. Title matches and Title Theft. So while you can't make your own titles, each promotion has its own Singles and Tag Titles, and you can of course at any time make those up for grabs in a match. In fact, the one guide I occasionally consult encourages doing this every month, because again it increases your show attendance and thus money. Unfortunately since you're only booking 12 shows a year, while it makes sense to do this it just feels odd, like you're trying to hotshot every title like it's the dying days of WCW. There are also titles specific to each style that certain wrestlers have on them, some of which need to be unlocked (for example, the Showman style champ, Ric Flair, needs to be unlocked unless you know the unlock all code). Some of these belts will be on wrestlers that will randomly challenge your promotion, and if you can beat them, you now have their title as well to use in your matches. Or you can get crafty with challenging other promotions to get more titles as well. Again, this part feels odd, but I think it's just trying to best approximate stuff like Ultimo Dragon having all the belts and touring a bunch of promotions.

9. Match evaluations. As I mentioned, matches are scored according to a style evaluation, and also things like how popular the wrestlers in the match are. I'm not sure what necessarily makes a "good" match, or why Bam Bam Bigelow of all people can put on a good match with just about anybody but through trial and error you sort of start to get a feel for who will get you the most out of your matches most consistently. Matches are rated 0% to 100%. So far I've never gotten below a 68%, and while I haven't gotten a 100% match yet, I have gotten close with a 97% or so.

10. Merchandising! One final way to make money is through creating merch deals (DVDs, shirts, etc.) and by getting TV Deals. at the start, the WWE is the only promotion with a global TV deal, and you have to get up to a certain level of popularity (viewable in rankings) to also get one, but you can go up to at least national TV deals. The bigger the TV deal, the better the payoff due to more people getting to see what you're running.

Of course, I've talked about all of this stuff and haven't even really talked about the match booking. Well unfortunately it's a bit simplistic. You're limited to 1v1 or Tag matches, and while you can of course adjust rules in those to do things like no-DQ matches, or Tornado Tag matches, it does belie how this feature was literally the first (and so far, kind of only) time that Spike had ever done this. Fortunately they do allow you to either skip a match entirely (i.e. just sim the result), sim it at 400% speed, or sim it at normal speed (which would also allow you to even play the match yourself if you wanted to, on either side). Hopefully they'll allow us to do much more in the mode coming to Fire Pro world.

Further underscoring how basic this feature feels at times is that you aren't really able to book feuds. Occasionally (and I mean this has literally happened once in 14 in-game months) the game goes "hey these two guys are having a feud, book them in the next show to get more interest", and then right after that the feud is over. I have no idea what causes this, and thus no idea how to get it to happen. You also only book matches, there's no promo stuff or gimmick/storyline stuff going on which given that Fire Pro never really focused on promotion-running aspects before, makes sense.

Lastly, this mode never made it stateside, at least not through Spike themselves. It was torn out of the game when it became Fire Pro Wrestling 2, and for the longest time the only way to play it was with the help of a translation guide and a copy of Final Fire Pro Wrestling that you acquired somehow. Fortunately there is a translation patch that exists, and as much as I'd love to link that as well as the method I'm using to play that, I wouldn't want to get banned for :filez:, but I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about.

I've also been streaming myself playing through Management of the Ring (bar the first few months when I was getting a feel for it) and uploading those to YouTube, which I can link if anyone's interested to see the game flow. Any other questions I'll do my best to answer, but I admittedly am very new to actually playing this mode. Ultimately I enjoy it, it definitely feels like a familiar yet different take on promotional booking, and feels more like the way Japan's promotions do business versus the way things are done in the US due to the WWE's near-monopoly on the product.

EDIT: I linked it in a later post, but since people have linked back to this, the playlist for my MoR streams is here for those intersted in seeing how it plays.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 11, 2017

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Sure thing, a playlist of the videos I have up so far is here. Keep in mind I am basically still learning how things work (and delivering awkward one-man commentary during matches to boot) but it should give a better idea of how it plays.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

C. Everett Koop posted:

Cause Bam Bam was really loving good :colbert:

To be fair I'm aware of that, I'm just surprised the game was aware of that.

MotU posted:

i want to do a promoter mode of Southpaw Regional Wrestling

I don't know if Spike can simulate an event where you book Lethal Leap Year on a non-leap year :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

algebra testes posted:

Yeah I enjoyed the gently caress out of this when I played it, it felt very Japanese. It has this weird mix of pro-wrestling and MMA aesthetics to it that is really interesting.

Interestingly when I played it like 7 years ago it wasn't fully translated so there were a few menus that were like "uhh... not entirely sure what i'm doing here..."

Yeah, it's been fully translated now (or I guess about 99% translated, which is more than enough). Obviously linking a ROM file is probably out of the question, but there shouldn't be anything wrong with linking the patch itself, which is here, along with instructions on how to utilize it, for anyone curious.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Call Me Charlie posted:

My favorite thing is the ~20 FPS and the no shame in trying to rip off the AKI games despite it being way too high above their skillset.

PWX is and remains my biggest letdown in terms of wrestling games because they've been at this for something like 10 years and still have barely anything to show for it.

DLC Inc posted:

not sure how the Steam "backup" feature works out but I assume if I utilize it for Fire Pro, it will save all the CAWs I have in that data? Always want to be sure to safeguard my poo poo.

Not sure how it works either, I do know everything is saved in a file in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\spikechunsoft\FireProWrestlingWorld . The file is savedata.dat. I've been able to manually copy or back this up and place it back into the directory after a reinstall.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah there's going to be another Fire Pro World dev stream on the 16th, 8PM Pacific (11PM Eastern), on Spike Chunsoft's twitch channel.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ribtstu posted:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/08/17/wwe-2k18-hands-on-6-changes-that-create-a-more-realistic-match

ign writes about playing the new 2k game. they re-introduced the carry system from SVR 07.

Oh you mean the thing nobody liked in the first place because it slowed the matches down to an insane degree and also because it was easy to abuse the gently caress out of.

More troubling is the fact that nobody's mentioning whether or not they took out the rollout system from 2k17, so that's probably still there.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, because multi-man matches being giant cluster-fucks where you can't get a pin was SOOOOOO fun.

I genuinely don't understand what people want from these games when they bitch about the jank, but then bitch about the anti-jank features too...

I'd rather they fix late match selling instead of creating a system of forced helplessness where you spend 30 seconds just chilling out on the outside because you got chop-blocked once, waiting for some bullshit meter to refill.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 17, 2017

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Your Parents posted:

they need to stop loving mocapping and being lazy and go back to hand animating moves.

There isn't necessarily anything wrong with using mocap, but you have to be willing to clean it up more. One of the things that pissed me off about SvR '07, for example, was that 75% of the moves no longer looked like they had any force or power to them. It felt like they didn't do any refining of the initial motion captures beyond making sure it was smooth over making sure it looked good. Unfortunately it seems like the same mistake is being repeated again, and again, and again.

The other problem is that at this point we'd have to get a completely new engine for them to be willing to abandon their massive library of motion-captured moves and even then I'm sure they'd still keep trying to use them, as they had in the past.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

joylessdivision posted:

Remember when people were mad about advertising on billboards in video games :allears: the good old days.

I had a lot of trouble understanding why this would bother people so much. In sports games it makes perfect sense (especially if they're officially licensed professional games) because that's what you'd see in real life. UbiSoft also did it with Rainbow Six Vegas 2, which interspersed some real ads and fake ads in the expo hall areas of the game, and again it makes sense because there was a big trade show going on in said hall before all the poo poo went down. I think also one of the Battlefield games experimented with in-game ads on billboards and stuff in maps, I figure as long as it makes sense and is unobtrusive it's fine. Even Sam Fisher having a Sony Ericsson phone in some of the Splinter Cell games didn't seem too ridiculous to me (though I would imagine that a black ops agent would have the branding removed).

But of course people didn't like this stuff for whatever reason so now we have ad-based achievements, probably soon to be followed by ad-based killstreaks. "Killtrocity brought to you by Mounain Dew, coming to Halo 6".

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

1st AD posted:

WCW Mayhem was unintentionally awesome, like that one bit where Tony and Bobby just start arguing about some poo poo for a few minutes.

WCW Mayhem gave me the wonderful Hennan-ism "the greco-roman low blow"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

joylessdivision posted:

Wow. Just.....Holy Christ this game is so amazingly broken this year.

They're gonna patch that right? LOL Yukes patching anything with any kind of speed or reliability

The problem that exists right now is that the annualization of WWE games has rendered the game more and more unstable as they have little time to fix issues. At this point the smart thing to do would be to make a new WWE game every 2 years, and just release a $30 DLC pack on the off years that adds more wrestlers/rings/arenas/moves/etc. to the existing game. The problem of course being since there is no real competition for WWE games, there doesn't seem to be a real impetus to get better. This does not, however, explain how NBA 2K18 remains stable and playable (despite microtransaction poo poo) because they are in the same boat, an annualized sports series with no competition.

Until 2K farts out a WWE game that is as broken on launch as Assassin's Creed: Unity, I don't think this will change any time soon unfortunately.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah initially I thought it was kind of a cool concept...but it's weighed down by the stuff you mentioned plus the general scumbag online tactics.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

It's like the 2K heard of loot boxes making lots of money, skipped learning anything about them, and told the devs to put in those loot boxes that the kids love!!

In NBA 2k18 the loot boxes do cost money, so that isn't it

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I figure the loot boxes are in now so they can figure out how best to monetize them next year

It's a marketing study

This is probably the most likely reason. I believe NBA 2K17 had card packs or something that didn't cost actual money but I could've sworn they were selling virtual currency cards for real money at the time as well.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Sadly if that happens it won't stop people from buying it, at least not in enough numbers to matter. And with a lack of big-name studio competition in terms of wrestling games, there's no incentive for 2K to do better. Same as how they got away with the micro-transactions in NBA 2K18.

Fire Pro Wrestling World is great but it doesn't exist in the same exact niche as WWE2K, and any game trying to fill that specific niche right now isn't all that great.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Really if they just make the Final Fire Pro booking mode but actually give the opportunity to have feuds (seriously, in two years of business I had only one feud), and better explain some of the mechanics as to how things work (like how feuds even happen, for example) it'll be pretty much fine.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

algebra testes posted:

Do people think it's going to be full on like the one in Fire Pro 2 on the GBA? Or just a "book a single show" mode like the PS2 game?

As mentioned, we don't really know but I seem to remember them making it sound like it was going to be more like the Fire Pro 2 one when it was brought up on a dev stream. No guarantee though.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Is the 14 promotion count a minimum or a maximum?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

do we know when Management of the Ring is coming out at all?

I believe they said January but I don't recall a specific date.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

What plugin am I looking for here, exactly? I really wish Carlzilla documented his stuff better; I'm also having a lot of trouble getting the Free Cam to work.

I've also had trouble with the free cam. the game stops whenever i try to use presets and only resumes after I've selected one, not really intuitive unfortunately.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I hope they let you set up the promotions separately as opposed to just taking it from the edit mode.

Yeah the big questions I've had is how they're going to do certain things that Final Fire Pro just already had. The promotions were already established internally in that game (you could of course make your own as well but that was basically considered hard mode since you started out as being the most indie of promotions). If I had to guess it's basically going to ask you "Which of these organizations do you want to have in your Management mode?" and let you select from every organization you "defined" by making it in Edit mode. That then raises the question of how to set up the "freelance" wrestlers, whether you have to do that manually as well or if you can just define a pool of wrestlers out of an organization (or organizations) you're not planning to use to be the free agents.

All I can say is I'm really glad part of Carlzilla's mod suite is a better roster management mod because it makes moving people around a lot easier.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Best part was unlike the chair which you could only use once, the bucket you could just keep using over and over.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Has Spike announced a release date for the Manager DLC for Fire Pro World yet? Not much of January left...

To be fair they also said "or Early February", I'll take a delay as long as it's functional.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zigmidge posted:

I don't even want skate 4 or fight night r5 if this EA is going to be making them and yet.... :negative:

Well a good other reason to not want Skate 4 is because Black Box is dead, killed by EA like so many other studios. Even had the audacity to rename them "Quicklime Games" before doing so which I didn't even think was a real thing but it is.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 31, 2018

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Takuan posted:

Is it Joe Rogan?
I hope it's Joe Rogan.
I bet it's Joe Rogan.

Too obvious. It'll be Jesse Ventura. As Captain Freedom.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I guess Rarity will have to base it on Stephanie's best childhood friend, The Big Show, instead.

You mean Steven Richards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the funny thing is, PC Gamer just dropped an article 10 days ago talking about how the community was really nice and understanding regarding Spike Chunsoft's issues (and it's the only thing since the patch on the Steam library news thingy), but... it's been a weirdly long time since we've heard anything and I'm starting to wonder if they might be taking the money and running. and i feel like that's going to 180 the community if so.

Given the engagement level they were at up until this point it would be really weird if they were suddenly abandoning it. I do remember them saying they basically had everyone working on the management mode but it's understandable to be skeptical given the relative lack of news since they delayed the Management DLC.

Guess we'll know more in a couple weeks.