Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Dang, I was going to make a thread about this when I got home from work, but I'm not mad someone else beat me to it. I'll post what I have as a resource anyway.

Note: This is all from published or media sources unless otherwise noted.

This is 17 year old Mike Brown, recent high school graduate who was planning on going to vocational school starting August 11th, 2014. He was murdered by a Ferguson police officer on Saturday, August 9th, 2014.

On Saturday afternoon, Mike Brown and a friend were walking down the street towards their homes when a police car approached them.

quote:

About 20 minutes before the shooting, Johnson said he saw Brown walking down the street and decided to catch up with him. The two walked and talked. That’s when Johnson says they saw the police car rolling up to them.

The officer demanded that the two “get the f—k on the sidewalk,” Johnson says. “His exact words were get the f—k on the sidewalk.”

After telling the officer that they were almost at their destination, Johnson’s house, the two continued walking. But as they did, Johnson says the officer slammed his brakes and threw his truck in reverse, nearly hitting them.

Now, in line with the officer’s driver’s side door, they could see the officer’s face. They heard him say something to the effect of, “what’d you say?” At the same time, Johnson says the officer attempted to thrust his door open but the door slammed into Brown and bounced closed. Johnson says the officer, with his left hand, grabbed Brown by the neck.

“I could see the muscles in his forearm,” Johnson said. “Mike was trying to get away from being choked.”

“They’re not wrestling so much as his arm went from his throat to now clenched on his shirt,” Johnson explained of the scene between Brown and the officer. “It’s like tug of war. He’s trying to pull him in. He’s pulling away, that’s when I heard, ‘I’m gonna shoot you.’”

At that moment, Johnson says he fixed his gaze on the officer to see if he was pulling a stun gun or a real gun. That’s when he saw the muzzle of the officer’s gun.

“I seen the barrel of the gun pointed at my friend,” he said. “He had it pointed at him and said ‘I’ll shoot,’ one more time.”

A second later Johnson said he heard the first shot go off.

“I seen the fire come out of the barrell,” he said. “I could see so vividly what was going on because I was so close.”

Johnson says he was within arm’s reach of both Brown and the officer. He looked over at Brown and saw blood pooling through his shirt on the right side of the body.

“The whole time [the officer] was holding my friend until the gun went off,” Johnson noted.

Brown and Johnson took off running together. There were three cars lined up along the side of the street. Johnson says he ducked behind the first car, whose two passengers were screaming. Crouching down a bit, he watched Brown run past.

“Keep running, bro!,” he said Brown yelled. Then Brown yelled it a second time. Those would be the last words Johnson’s friend, “Big Mike,” would ever say to him.

Brown made it past the third car. Then, “blam!” the officer took his second shot, striking Brown in the back. At that point, Johnson says Brown stopped, turned with his hands up and said “I don’t have a gun, stop shooting!”

By that point, Johnson says the officer and Brown were face-to-face. The officer then fired several more shots. Johnson described watching Brown go from standing with his hands up to crumbling to the ground and curling into a fetal position.

Source: http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/eyewitness-michael-brown-fatal-shooting-missouri

The events at the time of the shooting were unclear. First news media reported that Mike Brown had shoplifted from a local store and been shot upon fleeing police (untrue). Then it was spread that he had attacked a police officer unprovoked and been shot in response after attempting to seize the officer's firearm (untrue). So far the account above is the only eyewitness account, which has been unconfirmed by police, as the witness has not been interviewed or questioned. There are also reports that the officer in question did not have his dash cam activated at the time of the shooting, and that Ferguson police seized camera footage from CCTV security systems which may have recorded the event shortly after the shooting.

Saturday night there was some protest and general anger by the Ferguson community, especially as Mike Brown's body was left in the street for 4-6 hours after the shooting. Sunday a riot broke out, and that was limited to a handful of stores in Ferguson, including the Quiktrip store that was originally claimed where Mike Brown had shoplifted from.

All day Monday and into the evening there were protests and vigils planned in Mike Brown's memory, but as the night began the STL and Ferguson PD responded by adopting aggressive posture towards the protesters during the day, overreacted to a fight at the STL Galleria with 25 cop cars, shut down Washington University in STL due to "threats of violence" (despite Ferguson being nowhere near WU) and then once it became apparent that the community intended to protest and/or march into the evening, went into full blown riot protocol with all their best paramilitary equipment and tactics, culminating in firing rubber bullets into crowds, pointing loaded weapons at unarmed citizens (including an STL alderman), shooting tear gas into backyards and porches, throwing a pregnant woman into the street, and violating the rights of media. They justified this by saying they were trying to disperse a "violent crowd", but they did so by basically shutting down every road in and out of Ferguson, essentially trapping anyone who had gone there to protest (or who was there just to work) and then hounding them throughout the night.

Video footage from Monday night: https://twitter.com/brownblaze/status/499072600656449536
Ferguson PD tear gassing people on private property: https://twitter.com/fxmatt4/status/499307027349667840, http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2014/08/police_in_ferguson_fire_tear_gas_on_protesters_with_hands_up_in_their_own_backyard.php
Police brandishing automatic weapons at unarmed citizens:

Ferguson PD using uparmored vehicles and tactical gear: http://imgur.com/ZcsGcFf
Ferguson PD throw a pregnant woman to the ground, stomach first: https://twitter.com/AngryBlackLady/status/499053796966686720
Wooden pellets allegedly fired at protesters by Ferguson PD: http://imgur.com/0ymAfIE
Ferguson PD using tear gas and vehicle cordon to prevent media from entering Ferguson after dark: http://imgur.com/fCFyB56

In the latest news, air travel over Ferguson has been shut down for anything below 3000 ft (i.e. most news helicopters). Obama issued a statement today asking for calm and peace, but has yet to make any kind of official response besides asking AG Holder to look into the matter. If you're interested in what's actually happening I'd recommend following these Twitter accounts:

https://twitter.com/AntonioFrench (Alderman of 21st ward in STL, has been following and documenting this firsthand basically since a few hours after Mike Brown was murdered.)
https://twitter.com/Vandalyzm (local STL musician, has also been following and documenting on the ground, lots of info about community responses and planning.)
https://twitter.com/BrittanyNoble (STL reporter, has better access and insight than most others)

There's also an Anonymous group working on forcing the police to give up more information: https://twitter.com/OpFerguson

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Feranon posted:

So there's the no-fly zone bullshit and now I'm seeing rumors that the KKK is in Ferguson. This is beyond crazy. Things would have been more or less fine last night from the sound of it but they just keep escalating poo poo

The KKK thing is looking to be false; there's a picture floating around of a KKK rally happening in Clayton, which is unlikely, given that Clayton is a majority black neighborhood and the picture itself is from a KKK thing in Florida some years back.

There's a lot of disinfo getting floated about, so grain of salt and all that. There's enough attention on this now that things get vetted pretty quickly.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Chinatown posted:

Men, literally better equipped than Peshmerga dudes currently fighting ISIS, running around an American suburban neighborhood.

These dudes have better equipment than my battalion did in 2009 while gearing up for a deployment, and it seems like they have less stringent of a SOP regarding engagement with civilians than we did too.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

unwantedplatypus posted:

Is it just me or are these "black kid dies due to cop , black community pissed" riots getting more severe. If not on the protestor side then on the police response side? I feel like these shootings are too close together to simply pass from public conscience.

A black man is killed by police in the US every 28 hours http://www.occupy.com/article/black-man-killed-us-every-28-hours-police

That image is missing the shooting of a black man by an off-duty cop in Dallas (I think), and the shooting of an unarmed black man in LA by the highway patrol, and the brutal beating of a homeless black woman in LA by a cop for what amounts to jaywalking. All in the last week or so.

People are tired of this poo poo. It's obvious that the politicians won't do anything, despite relying on PoC to win elections (at least for the Democrats), and people are sick and tired of seeing their families brutalized and executed by the state. My brother, a federal employee for USPS, was walking to work last year and has SIX cop cars, guns drawn and brandished, swarm him because he "fit the description" of a suspect for a crime on the other side of town. At 8am on a weekday. One innocent, wrong move (i.e. gesturing towards his pockets, running, etc) and my brother would be dead. It's been enough for a long time, but social media and community activism has really started to mobilize around this kind of brutality as a serious issue, at least for certain demographics.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 13, 2014

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

the posted:

When people tell me that America is a place of freedom where everyone has a voice, I just want to point to Ferguson.

You think an "Arab Spring" could ever happen here? No loving way. They would literally shoot all of us with armored tanks. And that isn't hyperbole either.

Ditto.

Related to tonight's protest in Ferguson: Apparently there have been groups of (white) anarchists attempting to infiltrate the protests and use it as cover for lighting fires and generally attempting to provoke a harsh response from the Ferguson PD. Local activists have been running them off or ejecting them from the main protest groups: https://twitter.com/TefPoe/status/499410450199883776 (another good local twitter account to follow).

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

I don't personally like Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, the mainstream NAACP, et. al, mostly because they tend to rely on the rhetoric of respectability politics, "gotta hear both sides", and equating violence of the oppressed being as bad or worse than violence of the oppressors, and at this point they've obviously gone from being organic community leaders to co-opted, mainstream apparatuses used to paint anything to do with race in a certain light, but...they are extremely effective at putting pressure on governments when it comes to issues surrounding race and civil rights. Hearing that Al Sharpton is coming to your town is about the last thing any local government official wants, because the media is sure to follow and you're under that much more scrutiny. Right now it seems like there are a LOT of local community leaders involved in not only organizing the response in Ferguson and keeping it effective as well as controlled, but also organizing things like the National Moment of Silence 2014 https://www.facebook.com/NMOS2014 (happening today, google and see if there's one in your town). If outsiders like Al Sharpton try to take over and do things his way I'm sure there'll be friction, but right now his presence is making sure that the national media reports on this and maintains a spotlight on events, and the guy has been doing this kind of work for DECADES. His contributions, regardless of the negative light that most of White America sees him in, is a net positive here.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

This seems to be the most outstanding image from last nights protests and subsequent police response; a protester wearing an American flag t-shirt throwing back a ignited can of tear gas at the police.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

Everything's changed. Some cities have a culture that embraces the positive aspects of that change. St. Louis is not one of them. If anything, civil rights in St. Louis have gotten worse. I'd dare say the openness of their attitude is worse than at a Klan rally in Mississippi. As far as I know, the Klan has dropped "ship them all back elsewhere" from its platforn.

Some cities =/= the nation as a whole, and while yes, there are outposts and enclaves where the full brunt of the Civil Rights movement and subsequent struggles for equality between races, genders, etc have been fully embraced, the sad truth is that the majority of the country has not changed and for people like Mike Brown, Eric Garner, etc, etc, it has gotten worse in many ways, as the gains in civil rights and racial equality have been eroded, undermined, or ignored.

No denying that there are some specific contextual bases for riots happened in St. Louis instead of NYC, Philly, Houston, etc, but this has been a long time coming no matter where the occasion of brutality and oppression occurred in the US. The Ferguson PD just overplayed their hand and pushed this particular community too far, and media picked up on it before it could be quashed.

Edit: And then you have idiots like this who presume that racism is only a problem in places like STL, so why wouldn't you just move away already?! I mean, his GRANDMA did it, why can't you?

https://twitter.com/joshzepps/status/499551686500036608
https://twitter.com/joshzepps/status/499594932647366656

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 13, 2014

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Naet posted:

Is there confirmation on the arrest of the two journalists? I mean, all signs point to yes, but are we sure?

It's legit. One of the journos in question: https://twitter.com/WesleyLowery

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

What in the actual gently caress? How is any of this legal?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Zeitgueist posted:

This stuff isn't even new, it's been going on for years.

It may or may not be legal but good luck on getting any justice.

I mean I know it's not legal and it's been going on in poor areas forever, but it's on video and all over the internet. Why isn't there a federal response? Why isn't the Governor of MO doing something? It's obvious the police are provoking this.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

axeil posted:

"Where are the politicians at? They want the black votes but they're not out here"

Good point.

Fuckin' A-right.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Muffin Top posted:

God I hate this world

Read "Cities Under Siege". It's kind of plodding and textbook at times, but it's a great breakdown of how police forces and military forces have focused on urbanized warfare, and how Gaza, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. has been a laboratory for a lot of that.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Cesar Cedeno posted:

His presence doesn't hurt poo poo, if the protesters make this a purely race issue, they will be crushed hard and won't get an ounce of sympathy from 90% of the nation.

As opposed to only getting sympathy from 30-40% of the nation even if they did everything "right".

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Another witness to the shooting has come forward, with video of the actual shooting (or at least the tail end of it) : http://www.kmov.com/special-coverage-001/Another-witness-to-Michael-Brown-Jr-shooting-speaks-to-News-4-271139501.html

quote:

Mitchell told News 4 she saw a door close on a police car. An officer was inside and Brown, Jr. was on the outside. She said the two were arm wrestling through the car window. Mitchell said she then tried to pull out her phone to record. Shots then rang out.

“It just didn’t look right for them to be arm wrestling,” Mitchell said. “The first gun shot came from the window, so I just started getting out of the way.”
According to Mitchell, Brown, Jr, began to run away after the first shot was fired.

“After the shot, the kid just breaks away. The cop follows him, kept shooting, the kid’s body jerked as if he was hit. After his body jerked he turns around, puts his hands up, and the cop continues to walk up on him and continues to shoot until he goes all the way down,” Mitchell said.

That's two eyewitnesses stating that the cop basically executed the kid after he had already been shot and was pleading for mercy.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Koalas March posted:

Whoa I didn't know that saying white people should shut the gently caress up, listen to black people, and not tell us how to feel or fight a battle we've been fighting forever was controversial. Welp

Yeah, what's controversial about this? It's been demonstrated over and over again that when white people get involved in movements they bring attention and support, but usually at the cost of centering focus on themselves rather than the groups most impacted. Which leads to piss poor, band-aid solutions on problems that in effect sweep them under the rug rather than address the structural, systematic problems. It's been proven that white people are generally incapable of handling criticism or even discussion about racial issues, since society generally safeguards them from having to deal with these things, "leading to a state in which even a minimum amount of racial stress becomes intolerable, triggering a range of defensive moves. These moves include the outward display of emotions such as anger, fear, and guilt, and behaviors such as argumentation, silence, and leaving the stress-inducing situation. These behaviors, in turn, function to reinstate white racial equilibrium."

I don't think it's asking too much for allies to take a backseat and work on supporting or amplifying the voices of the most impacted communities rather than trying to speak for them or impose solutions that have been constructed based on outside experiences or vicarious assumptions. I'm glad to see people of all races assisting in the Ferguson protests, but I can't be mad at the folks on the ground who have had to deal with this poo poo for DECADES taking the extra time to make sure they're not being co-opted or marginalized.

BigRed0427 posted:

So...are there any good sources right now for keeping up with what's happening right now?

Pretty much just twitter. MSM has decided to not cover this up until now besides snippets about riots or protests, although that might change tomorrow since some reporters got arrested today.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 14, 2014

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

By punching some random-rear end guy the gently caress out?

Yeah, that's what I'm defending in my post, the knock-out game. :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone is advocating for violence against random strangers. It's terrible that some random dude got beat up for basically being in the wrong place at the wrong time and it shouldn't have happened. Not excusing it, but emotions are probably running a bit high and people don't know who to trust or how to vent it. I hope it doesn't happen again, because it's wrong and because it hurts the image of the protests in the media.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Anorexic Sea Turtle posted:

St. Louis is my home town, and I'm going to the national moment of silence in Boston tonight. I suggest y'all find yours and go too.

Here's the link for the NMOS14 google doc, has info on events in almost every state: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y6bRJfwVL7JoJnxH8BN8O1p1ANXPEl5PjNMoELw54ME/preview?sle=true

Also, for those not in STL who want to help, you can contribute to the fund set up to help his family deal with legal costs, funeral costs, etc: http://www.gofundme.com/justiceformikebrown (I think this is the legit one set up for the family, but it can't hurt to double check just to be sure before you dole out some cash).

Honestly I'm tempted to blow off work for the next week and go up there. I have family in STL that I could stay with, and as dangerous as it might be, watching this from the sidelines is just too infuriating right now.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 14, 2014

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

SirKibbles posted:

It's amazing how goons can miss the point consistently,there are white people in photos of the civil rights movement,there were White organizers so maybe just maybe you might be missing a point here?

Speaking of white people co-opting the movement the National Moment of Silence went ok here in San Antonio.The Brown berets provided security(they were great....noticing a trend here) it's was 99 degrees outside so that was horrid be we managed. The organizers were a nice bunch of women from Battleground Texas. There we some white people from out of state belonging to the Revolutionary Communist Party, USA (who I was told are a thorn in local protests I swear next protest I will personally chase these assholes off) Who made it impossible to chant no justice no peace because they would always add so,gently caress the police (no one chanted that part)and generally took over the chant. One of the people from the RCP got up gave a speech which started off nicely about the victims of police brutality and shifted to her shilling her stupid website and calling for revolution when the protest was stated multiple times on the facebook page to be non-violent.

Another lady not affiliated with them but just as stupid,started a song but when someone noticed all the black and latino people were standing in the back or leaving ,they tried to bring up the fact that the people standing up and talking we all white (it wasn't like that at the start) singing lady started to argue back but the lady who brought it up just dropped it. I was so pissed they totally killed the mood and I'm a socialist but I didn't come there to sell stupid loving newspapers or take over a protest and turn it into a recruitment thing.

Had something similar happen at the NMOS is Austin. Had a good sized crowd, maybe 100-150 at the Capitol, did some chanting, a couple of folks spoke. One or two RCP people spoke, calling for "communist revolution" and got shut out pretty quick. Some white dude interrupted a black woman speaking about how she's afraid for her son's life with "all our lives are at stake" and got quickly shouted down and corrected. Other than that, it was a good event and the organizers seem to be carrying the momentum forward in applying pressure on the local government regarding incidents of police brutality here in Austin.

Picture from the people showing up before the NMOS started:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Is it possible to turn this stupid loving chat off on the livestream?

Edit: looks like if you press the "expanded view" button on the bottom right corner, the chat goes away.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

People guarding the store that just got looted, apparently the looters got run off (mostly):
https://twitter.com/SorahyaM/status/500527654538604544
https://twitter.com/WesleyLowery/status/500527976900218880

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Pomp posted:

These guys own, and nobody outside of this stream is ever gonna hear

Ugh, between the coverage of this and CNN's "race summit" with Don Lemon and Pharell, the news is going to be goddamned terrible tomorrow.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Did that happen with the Korean business owners in the 1992 Los Angeles riots?

Kinda? There were reports of Korean business owners shooting at each other because one group would get to a group of stores early, set up a barricade, and then others business owners would try to get to their stores later and a shootoff would ensue until both groups figured out they were on the same side. It resulted in at least one death, that of Edward Song Lee, an 18 year old kid trying to help protect his families business who was killed by other Koreans who mistook him for a looter.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

They really love that loving LRAD.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Are there any streams that aren't behind the police line?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Press getting arrested for attempting to do their jobs now too: https://twitter.com/robcrilly

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Mike Brown preliminary autopsy released: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/08/18/us/michael-brown-autopsy-shows-he-was-shot-at-least-6-times.html?smid=tw-bna&_r=1&referrer=

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

sugar free jazz posted:

That livestream is like some creepy loving dystopian society found footage horror movie, jesus christ.

I bet the makers of those Purge movies are kicking themselves for missing out on this treasure trove of material.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Police now saying earlier reports of shots fired turn out to be fireworks.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

FourLeaf posted:

Tim Pool's feed just froze for me- both videos

Still working for me.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

"There a dead white guy in the middle of Chambers, at least I think he's dead. He has a swastika tattoo on his arm."

https://twitter.com/ModernLeftist2/status/501223349125931008

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Apparently the dead body is from a car accident?

Still, some dude with a swastika tattoo in Ferguson...can't be up to any good.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

For the first time, Amnesty International is deploying inside of the United States.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/amnesty-international-takes-unprecedented-us-action-in-fergu#1pi4h63

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Is there another working stream?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Media being ordered back to the pen. Two minutes to curfew.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Goddamn Tim, stop recapping every 5 minutes.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Popular Thug Drink posted:

which feed is the action feed, please link

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/9035483/events/3271930

This is insanity. I cannot believe this is an American city in 20-goddamn-14.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

You think they would've learned that the "and/or other actions" thing is really, REALLY not the thing this crowd wants to hear.

And now you turn the LRAD on in front of all the press?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

If this was a movie Antonio would be the one to die and set off a full blown war

They better pray nothing happens to Antonio French, because he's basically the only person keeping things in check most of the time. God forbid some cop gets in an altercation with him, the whole place would explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

This is the stupidest goddamn poo poo. None of this is helpful. Flanking maneuvers now?

• Locked thread