Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Chemmy posted:

Well, ok.

If it's any consolation I plan on taking that list next week as well so I'll be sure to let you know if it bombs horribly the second time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Strobe posted:

Guys Snap Shot can work with R3 Astromech, and you can fit that, AT, the new tech that is basically defensive weapon focus for 34 points. If it goes off you get a statically assured automatic three evades against a target of your choice when AT is in play.

Pre-EDIT: gently caress, R3 is primary only. :(

Goddammit FFG is the pool of things that can use R3 and wants to use a secondary weapon really so large that distinction was necessary.

TLT Y-Wings, probably. (Though with that said they would really only be effective on Horton and maybe Dutch, depending on the opponent.)

Speaking of astromechs though, I was thinking about the new one that was revealed today and I had an... idea.

100 points

Pilots
------

“Dutch” Vander (33)
Y-Wing (23), BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0), R2-D6 (1), Proton Torpedoes (4), Extra Munitions (2), Autoblaster Turret (2), Guidance Chips (0), Veteran Instincts (1)

Thane Kyrell (32)
ARC-170 (26), M9-G8 (3), Weapons Engineer (3), Alliance Overhaul (0)

Shara Bey (35)
ARC-170 (28), Plasma Torpedoes (3), Veteran Instincts (1), Weapons Engineer (3), Alliance Overhaul (0), Guidance Chips (0)

AKA "Who needs predator anyway", Or, "I Hope You Like Target Locks" :v:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Admiral Joeslop posted:

:sigh: I always forget that caveat; I rarely fly ships with munitions that also have only two red.

Keep in mind though that Proton Torps get to convert 1 focus to a crit for free, so you're also not entirely wrong.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Slandible posted:

The scene in metro Detroit is pretty big. Probably close to a dozen stores that regularly have people.

I've been running double scum Firespray lately and really having fun with it. Kath with tailgunner and glitter stem is fierce.

What stores would you suggest checking out? I just moved back to the area, and while I can play against friends I'm looking to get my competitive fix in.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I think the other thing that precludes Headhunter swarms is the fact that there aren't any Howlrunner-type ships (Except for Serissu, I guess) that make everyone around them better, and Headhunters have a much worse dial. I certainly like Headhunters as filler ships, but for taking a swarm TIEs have far more options and are far more powerful.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Finster Dexter posted:

jfc this doesn't make any sense

You can't boost/barrel roll something into overlap/touching, even with the new tractor beam clarifications.

It's the other way around-Unkar is flying into the X-Wing, then using his ability to tractor it away so he can shoot at it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Finster Dexter posted:

Is that what's going on? I read the preceding paragraph three times and it still didn't make sense.

Here's the key sentence:

quote:

[...]By blocking the ship in the first place, Unkar Plutt can deny it an action, and then when he assigns it a tractor beam token, he may be able to force it out of position to claim its retaliatory shot.

So basically:

-Unkar Plutt flies up to block

-X-Wing crashes into him, doesn't get an action

-At the end of the movement phase, Plutt uses his ability to assign a tractor beam token to the X-Wing, shifting it away (And presumably forcing it out of arc of whatever it wanted to shoot at)

-Plutt can now shoot at the tractor'd X-Wing

The paragraph is worded weirdly because the author tried to squeeze the use of the new Score to Settle card in there as well, but the gist of it is that Plutt can just block or slam into people like an rear end and then tractor them away to ruin their shots (Or set one up of his own).

enigmahfc posted:

The QuadJumper looks like a real rear end in a top hat of a ship so I guess I'm going to love it.

Definitely. I think the great thing about it is that while it's not going to win any matches by itself, it's also not something your opponent can ignore-letting it get in close is just asking to have your day ruined by bombs or tractor beams. It's going to be a really fun ship to dick around with.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Wazzu posted:

And I really hope they double down on it not being fast. Like a straight 3 is the only 3 or more speed maneuver it can do. Maybe no turn around moves.

The full dial is in the article:

Max speed of 3, but it can do a speed 2 Sloop.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

banned from Starbucks posted:

Pretty sure im going

Also nice work

:same: to both

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
2-3 (Dropped the last game), lost my last match by accidently flying my last TLT Y-Wing in front of a half-dead and alone palp shuttle and eating 3 hits and a crit :cripes:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

canyoneer posted:

So what's our largest theoretical max attack? Still 8?

Shara at Range 1 = 4 dice
Spending target lock ability +1 (focus)
Jan Ors ability +1
Swarm Leader +2

Finn and a way to reroll his blank result doesn't fit within 100 points :v:

I have a thought on Swarm Leader too.

You only get one shot, but:

A-Wing: Green Squadron Pilot (19)
Swarm Leader (3)
Proton Rockets (3)
Autothrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)
Opportunist (4)
HWK-290: · Jan Ors (25)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Juke (2)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Juke (2)
Chardaan Refit (-2)

5 Dice from Prockets
+2 from Swarm Leader (7)
+1 from Opportunist (8)
+1 from Jan (9)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

overdesigned posted:

Swarm leader is primary weapon only.

Ah poo poo, missed that bit.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

canyoneer posted:

Doh, Norra is who I meant :downs:

Norra at R1 is 4 dice.
+1 for TL ability to add focus
+1 for Finn to add blank
+2 for Swarm Leader to add two to the roll
That's 8.

That's 67 points.
If you add Jan, you don't have space for another ship with M9-G8 to get a reroll for Norra on Finn's die.

Ah, but if you trust in the heart of the cards...

ARC-170: · Norra Wexley (29)
Swarm Leader (3)
· Finn (5)
HWK-290: · Jan Ors (25)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
· Lando Calrissian (3)
ARC-170: · Shara Bey (28)
Adaptability (Increase) (0)
R3 Astromech (2)

That'll get you up to 9 with the re-roll for Finn, you just have to really hope Lando and the R3 astro kick in at the right time.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Strobe posted:

Norra Wexley (29)
Swarm Leader (3)
Finn (5)
Alliance Overhaul (0)

Jan Ors (25)
Dorsal Turret (3)

Ahsoka Tano (17)
Push the Limit (3)
Captured TIE (1)

Captain Rex (14)

Total: 100

There you go. Ahsoka spends her focus on giving Norra a TL.

Doesn't work. Norra has to spend a TL to get her extra focus, so there's no net benefit for spending it to re-roll Finn.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Rebel Aces, definitely.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Heroes would be a close second, but I'd still argue for getting Rebel Aces first, since it improves the A-Wing and (to a lesser extent) the B-Wing to such a great degree.

Basically, if you want to improve some of the ships you already have, get Aces. If you want to get great new ships, get Heroes.

Edit: On second look, I saw you don't actually have an A-Wing expansion and I misread your post. An A-Wing should definitely go near the top of the list, both because it's fun to fly and because one of the upgrade cards (Push the Limit) is so good.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 31, 2016

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So here's an observation-one of the pilot bases for the M3A in the preview is PS1. What do you think the odds are that, together with the Light Scyk title, we're going to see the first 11 point ship?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Strobe posted:

Zero. It'll have an illicit, just like the Z-95.

See, I'm not so sure about that. After all, the base M3-A doesn't have an illicit, whereas scum Z-95s do. And while 9 ships of any configuration would be a daunting target, the title is explicitly designed to make them easier to shoot down or cripple.

I mean, I'm not saying it's likely that's what we're getting, but I certainly think it's possible.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

IronSaber posted:

I'm at work, and Fantasy Flight is blocked. What new Epic ship was introduced?

C-ROC Cruiser (Gozanti variant) with M3-A Interceptor.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

IronSaber posted:

Hot drat, that's pretty rad!

Yeah, they haven't shown off too much yet, but it's definitely pretty interesting. Some pics:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

bowmore posted:

Seems good, cheers!

Note that half the upgrades he recommends aren't in the boxes you have, so that might be an issue.

My advice would simply be to try and bring cheap pilots with limited upgrades, both so that you can get the most out of what you already have, and so that you're not overwhelmed with trying to remember the exact effects and interactions between a half-dozen pilot abilities and upgrade cards.

So for example, the next time you try to play you can bring something like:

Red Squadron Veteran (27)
T-70 X-Wing (26), Wired (1)

Red Squadron Pilot (23) x 2

Dagger Squadron Pilot (26)
B-Wing (24), Fire-Control System (2)

Is it a good list? Not really. But it's something that you can use to learn with and build up from, until you're able to build up your collection more, get more cards, and on the whole have a solid foundation from which to grow.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

bowmore posted:

Nice, those were what I was looking at also

Heroes of the Resistance is a fantastic box, and I highly recommend it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Finster Dexter posted:

lol the new Dash Rendar

:perfect:

Dash Rendar (36)
Hull Upgrade (3)
Hull Upgrade (3)
Hull Upgrade (3)
Hull Upgrade (3)
Hull Upgrade (3)
Hull Upgrade (3)
Hull Upgrade (3)
Hull Upgrade (3)
Hull Upgrade (3)
Hull Upgrade (3)
Hull Upgrade (3)
Hull Upgrade (3)
Hull Upgrade (3)
Hull Upgrade (3)
Hull Upgrade (3)
Hull Upgrade (3)
Hull Upgrade (3)
Hull Upgrade (3)
Hull Upgrade (3)
Hull Upgrade (3)
Hull Upgrade (3)
Total: 99

:shepface:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Admiral Joeslop posted:

:shepicide:

Z-95 Headhunter: Binayre Pirate (12)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Scavenger Crane (2)

Cluster Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Scavenger Crane (2)

Cluster Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Scavenger Crane (2)

Cluster Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Scavenger Crane (2)

Y-Wing: Syndicate Thug (18)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Guidance Chips (0)
Unhinged Astromech (1)
-- TOTAL ------- 100p. --

Oh come on, if you're gonna do ordnance Headhunters you gotta go whole hog

99 points

PILOTS

Lieutenant Blount [XX-23 S-thread Tracers, Veteran Instincts] (19)

Bandit Squadron Pilot [Concussion Missiles, Guidance Chips] (16)

Edit: I didn't see the scavenger cranes! Still like my list better though :colbert:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
40K is all about finding contrived ways to either roll or re-roll more dice than your opponent. I love it dearly, but it's not something to take seriously if you value your blood pressure.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

BigRed0427 posted:

Also, I'm seeing that the Y Wings ge a massive boots witht he Most Wanted pack. So I am guessing thats my next purchase.

I love Y-Wings more than is probably rational, but it's hard to argue the Y-Wing options in Most Wanted are a strict upgrade. The first, Bomb Loadout, only matters if you plan on taking bombs (Obviously), which not a lot of people do. The second, the BTL-A4 Title, is very situational. Basically, it lets you shoot with your turret after you shoot your primary, but it restricts you to only ever being to fire the turret in your forward arc. When it works, it hurts-double tapping people can be extremely effective, and if you get lucky you can potentially knock out two ships in one round of shooting (As both shots count as a separate attack). The downside is that Y-Wings are hideously unmanuverable, and after the initial joust it can be pretty difficult to keep people in your forward arc, meaning you can't shoot at them at all. There are some builds it works well with, don't get me wrong-Stresshog (Gold Squadron Pilot with R3-A2, a TLT, and the title) is capable of utterly crippling aces, certain Horton Salm builds can push out a ton of damage, and a 4 TLT titled Y-Wing list is capable of rolling up to 36 dice per turn, if you feel like channeling your inner ImpGuard player. But like I said, it's situational, and I personally can't tell you how many times I've gritted my teeth and wished I'd left the title at home.

So, if you are really set on flying Y-Wing bombers, or want to start playing Scum, Most Wanted is a good pickup. Otherwise, I'd hold off until I'd built up more of a collection, and simply run vanilla Y-Wings until then.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

BigRed0427 posted:

Thanks for the advice here. One question. Opinions on Photon Torpedoes in relation to Wedge/Wes lists?

Edit: Nevermind, dumb question. Here is my current list.

ROUGE 2

99 points

PILOTS

Wedge Antilles [R2 Astromech, Proton Torpedoes, Opportunist, Integrated Astromech] (38)

“Dutch” Vander [R2 Astromech, Dorsal Turret] (27)

Wes Janson [R2 Astromech, Proton Torpedoes, Adaptability, Integrated Astromech] (34)

View: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/639189/rouge-2

Tweak: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build/639189

XWS: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/xws/639189

Wes and Wedge both have torpedoes because I still have 9 points left and don't know where else to go with it. Any ideas on what those last 9 points could be spent on is helpful, especially if they can go towards Dutch.

Here's my thought:

Wes Janson [R3-A2, Adaptability, Integrated Astromech] (31)

Wedge Antilles [R2 Astromech, Opportunist, Integrated Astromech] (34)

“Dutch” Vander [R2-D6, Ion Cannon Turret, Shield Upgrade, Draw Their Fire] (34)

Basically, have Dutch try to absorb crits and draw fire away from Wes and Wedge, while trying to reduce the fire/modded dice coming in via stress and ionization. Alternatively, you can swap out Draw Their Fire and the Shield Upgrade for Veteran Instincts and Vectored Thrusters, to better guarantee you'll be able to get into TL range.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

ConfusedUs posted:

2) Expansions rotate out of competitive play after X amount of time, where X is something reasonable (no more than 3 years). Major mistakes can be fixed by errata at any time, of course, but a rotation lets the meta shift radically every so often without the need for major power creep and entirely new mechanics.

This is the big point I'd disagree with. I mean, if you instituted this cutoff, you'd be stripping out everything before Wave 4. That includes:

-Core Set, X-Wing, Y-Wing, A-Wing, B-Wing, YT-1300, and HWK-290 for Rebels

-Core Set, TIE Fighter, TIE Interceptor, Slave I, TIE Bomber, and Lambda for Imperials.

That's a lot of ships, including every ship that actually showed up in the original trilogy. But at the same time, removing these ships wouldn't actually effect the meta in a huge way-the only ship among this list that saw the top tables at Worlds for instance was the Lambda*, and that was less due to the ship itself and more because of its ability to cheaply carry Palpatine. Now, if you carried this forward a few months, you would see a major shift with the removal of Imperial Aces and the last available copy of Push the Limit-but eliminating over a dozen of the franchise's most iconic ships from competitive play seems like a pretty loving steep price to pay to remove one top card.

*Edit: Plus a single Fat Han list I missed on my first read-through

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 31, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

ConfusedUs posted:

And of those the X-Wing (other than Biggs), A-Wing, B-Wing, HWK, Slave I, and Bomber are all but unusable. You may see the ship fill a very specific role, but those tend to be the exception rather than the rule.

The others, such as the X-Wing (Biggs only), Interceptor (Soontir, sometimes Carnor), Lambda (OGP, sometimes Yorr), and Y-Wing (cheap TLT carrier, sometimes with stressbot), have specific pilots/loadouts that are meta staples, but you never see them outside of that usage.

I want to see these ships as much as you, and that's where the other part of a rotation comes in. They can release new, updated versions of those old ships that make them viable in a modern environment without, say, worrying how the hell they balance Biggs.

But at the same time, isn't that what they're already doing with Ace packs/Huge Ship bundles, minus taking away ships after an arbitrary period of time? I mean sure, they hypothetically make adjustments to a ship's statline or the wording of pilot abilities, but they've already shown they're perfectly willing to do that via upgrade cards and errata. I just don't see the necessity in removing ships completely (And having to re-buy them!) when Aces packs already exist.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Strobe posted:

And I really hate the necessity in having to buy a $70 ship to make my $15 ship good enough to compete in a tournament setting. The difference between that and the model we prefer is that in the model we prefer we're only spending $30. :shrug:

Except right now I can still take Rebel Y-Wings to tournaments. In the rotation model I can't.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

ConfusedUs posted:

Except there'd be an updated Y-Wing for you to fly! Perhaps with new exciting pilots, upgrade slots, and stuff. Maybe a bigger focus on bombs? Who knows!

Maybe they'd even include extra cards/cardboard so you could still use your old models.

But I can already get that through a hypothetical Aces pack (And halfway got one through the Most Wanted set). And I can continue using new upgrades for the ship that make it more viable, like TLT and Vectored Thrusters. If you instead set a hard date for when that ship becomes no longer legal to fly, if there isn't a replacement ship already in the pipeline then I'm effectively stuck in limbo. And since you've got 4-5 ships per wave (Not counting Aces packs and Huge Ships), a logjam would start building up pretty loving quick as old ships have to compete with new ships for spots in the release schedule. And what happens to ships that are a part of the now-nuked EU, like the E-Wing and the HWK? Do they just get retired altogether?

I certainly understand where you're coming from, but I just don't believe that it would be an adequate way to properly address the existing issues of balance that the game currently has. You'd just end up with a further divergence between tournament and casual play, and greater strain on the designers as they have to balance a far more cluttered release schedule.

Edit:

Strobe posted:

Do you have a TLT? BTL-A4? Bomb Loadout (and some bombs), Dutch and Targeting Astromech? If you answered no to all four, then you might as well leave it at home. Except the TLT is $20, BTL-A4 is $40, Bomb Loadout is in the same pack and also doesn't come with the bombs you probably want, and Targeting Astromech is another $15.

In the rotation model, unless the dial changes you're still going to have a ship you can use with your brand-new cardboard bases, except ideally you wouldn't be crippled if you don't have upgrades from X or Y other ship, many of which aren't even in your faction.

This I don't understand. There are a scant handful of ships in the game that can reach the top tables solely on the contents of their expansion, and a rotation model wouldn't change that. Even if they came out with an updated Y-Wing, for example, I'd still want to have Extra Munitions, Twin Laser Turret, and R3-A2 on hand.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 31, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Strobe posted:

Your objection is you can already take a Y-wing to a tournament.

My counter-argument is that it loving sucks without improvements from other ships, and that a rotational model would be able to fix the biggest issues at the same cost to the player without mandating Power Creep as a feature of the game.

But you're not getting rid of power creep! New ships and releases are still going to be more powerful and make better use of the mechanics than old ships, for the simple reason that the designers will continue to expand the space they're working in. And you would still need cards from other ships to make the best use of them, because that's how the game works

Furthermore, you keep mentioning dials, but if anything that's the number-one thing the designers would likely change about old ships! There's no way that the A-Wing and Interceptor wouldn't have had access to Talon Rolls or Sloops had they been in the game at the time, for example, and redesigned versions of those ships would almost certainly make those maneuvers available.

Is having to buy the Rebel Transport to get access to Wes or R3-A2 an ideal situation? Of course not. But neither is a rotation system, and I have serious doubts that it would do anything to functionally address the issues you have.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Finster Dexter posted:

I know nothing about Coordinate. If I use Kylo's Coordinate to give Vader a free action and he barrel rolls, can he barrel roll again on his own activation?

Nope, no ship can perform two of the same kind of action in a turn.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I present: An actual use for Decoy!

Wes Janson (29)
X-Wing (29), Adaptability (0)

Wedge Antilles (31)
X-Wing (29), Decoy (2)

Biggs Darklighter (26)
X-Wing (25), R4-D6 (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

Captain Rex (14)

Total: 100

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Some Numbers posted:

The condition applies after he fires, which will be after higher PS ships, so they'll get their full power shot before the condition hits them?

The condition also doesn't apply for when they're shooting at Rex, meaning that it's entirely possible for Rex's ability to end up not mattering at all if he's killed quickly (Which isn't hard).

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Tequila Ranger posted:

Also 7 rounds of x-wang with no scheduled lunch break.

:rip:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Strobe posted:

2K, SLAM into another 2K, focus, in order to *literally not move at all* and still shoot.

Except you can't shoot if you SLAM? Or is there something I'm missing?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Someone give me a Rebels list to run tonight. I don't have a Ghost or HotR.

98 points

PILOTS

“Dutch” Vander [R2-D6, Plasma Torpedoes, Extra Munitions, Guidance Chips, Veteran Instincts] (30)

Horton Salm [Proton Torpedoes, Extra Munitions, Guidance Chips] (31)

Esege Tuketu [Proton Torpedoes, Extra Munitions, Recon Specialist, Guidance Chips] (37)

Edit: Add Autoblaster turret maybe, if you want to.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Raged posted:

Absolute worst part was he brought his kid to the tournament. The kid was so happy because he thought he would have a Raider to play epic with his dad. Father took it right out his hands to try to get credit.

Lowest thing I have seen in X-wing.

Jesus, what an absolute dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

RTM posted:

I played a casual game with Darth Vader and a mini Tie swarm the other day and ended up winning, but as I reflect on the game I can't help but think that I was playing wrong. One of my main strategies was to use Darth Vader's power and Squad Leader to give Omega Ace a target lock and/or focus token, even when Omega Ace was stressed. Omega Ace could then spend those on his special power to turn dice rolls into crits. I was reading later that you can't do actions when stressed.

Was I doing it wrong? If so, I need to apologize to my brother...

Yep. No actions, even free actions, while stressed.

• Locked thread