Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
How did cloaking work originally, out of interest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Thought that was probably it. Even now it seems very good, you get a big stack of free maneuverability no-one else can access (well, until Mist Hunter comes out anyroad).

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Is there some way to get back to certain matches on the twitch feed? I get the feeling it'll be a while before they're up on any of the youtube channels.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks =)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I've wondered about prequel ships. The prequels were pretty terrible, but the ship designs were among the best parts for me. I'd love to see some prequel factions.

They have certainly seemed willing to go back earlier than epIV, given that stuff from Rebels coming out soon.

I'd hope that this can continue to pretty much be a living game; it has a lot more space left both in game design and world design terms.

I'd love to play a Naboo Cruiser with the docked fighters from Ep 2. They were so shiny.

It really depends how willing they are to mine comics and EU stuff. And that I have no read on at all.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Lunatic Pathos posted:

Problem here is with the factions. The Republic IS the Empire and the Separatists aren't the Empire at all, though neither are they The Rebellion.

I think you'd probably have to add separate Old Republic and Old !Republic factions, I think. They certainly feel distinct enough, though you run into problems rounding out the Old !Republic because so many of their ships were either droids or undifferentiated Geonosians and therefore boring and identical to build/run.

I would love to play the tiny-star-destroyer Jedi starfighter though, that thing was awesome.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Verno5x posted:

I have a total noob question. I just picked up some Rebel stuff to play with some coworkers (including some original X-wings) and I have the Force Awakens core set. If I ever wanted to play in a tournament could I use the old X-Wing miniature with the new T70 X-wing cards? I couldn't see any differentiation in the symbols but wanted to confirm before I did something dumb.

You could use either miniature (I'm 99% sure they're just repaints), but the cards, dials and base plate thingies are specific sets which go together. You can't run Wedge with a T70 dial and base plate, for instance.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

They are quite different, unlike the TIE/fo which is practically just a repaint to most people. Look at the old Ralph McQuarrie art cuz that's what the new ones are based on. Split intakes is the biggest indicator.

Also, Wedge still needs a Lt. Kettch alternate art card!
I stand corrected.

I'd still suggest that in normal friendly play you could get away with proxying the mini, but should make sure to keep card, dial and base plate together, but I'd agree that you'd almost certainly not be able to in tournaments.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

They have different manuver dials?

Yup, totally different. Different actions, too, though those are obvious from the pilot cards. And different upgrade slots, but ditto.

Also, I love the fact that the new maneuver the T70 gets is called the t-roll. FFG totally t-rolling us.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

At 89 out of 100 points you're kind of handicapping yourself...I mean you'll have a hell of an initiative bid but that's almost enough to buy a whole nother ship.

Out of the stuff you have I would either consider equipping the Heavy Laser Cannon on Keyan for maximum four-red shenanigans or ditching Chardaan Refit on both A-Wings and giving them Proton Rockets for a nasty little range 1 punch.

Yeah, Proton Rockets on A Wings sound brilliant to me. I really want to run that list sometime. Trick out as many high-init a-wings as possible with proton rockets, and suicide-charge everything, and just hope they die first.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

You can try stripping the paints off (pop by the mini painting thread to find out how, the best stuff to use will depend on your location) but it's reasonably likely they use enamels for a lot of it which don't come off, so you might just need to paint over. If you do, probably best to prime first.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

Finally; ordnance redeemed :v:

I'm sad that there's no way to get a target lock on the Rebel Transport (without spending the modification slot on a Targeting Computer) to turn it into a missile barge though.

There is. The new Thread Tracers missile.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

There were a few EU guys, but they basically bought second hand Star Destroyers post-episode-VI, so...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

(admittedly with BBs instead of ball bearings)

You... do know what BB stands for, right?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Do droid names actually stand for anything?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Trip report: I held my Hound's Tooth over a pot of boiling water for drat near 10 minutes and no part of it is so much as slightly loosened. Either I have the toughest YV-666 in the world or I'm doing something wrong.

The inverse might also work. Stick it in the freezer; superglue goes brittle more quickly than plastic in the freezer.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Made it I think to the quarterfinals at worlds.

Good, but takes a bit of careful flying to make it work, it was fairly clear when it all went wrong that it was mostly because of careful positioning to avoid ever being in Tactician ranger.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Am I sill for wanting to run Carnor, Soontir and Royal Guard all with PTL/autothrusters/RGT/stealth device as a list. I'm probably way too low-skill to make it work but it sounds like it would be hella fun.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Cobbsprite posted:

Bullshit. You're only too low-skill to make it work until you have enough practice to make it work. If there's something you want to play and you don't have enough experience to play it well? Get a friend and play it over and over and over.

[ liemode] I promise this is not just an excuse to play spaceships over and over and over. [ /liemode]

I've played all of two games so far, and I only won one of them due to a VERY lucky point blank range Wedge shot on Whisper with cloak off. Which blew her up first time.

Hoping to play more tomorrow though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

So, I actually bought a core set, and spent a bit of time trying to work out what my preferred lists would cost me to much eyepopping.

What's a solid rebel list with Poe or two TIE/fos that won't break the bank, assuming I need to have ships and pilots, but upgrades will usually be proxyable? I'm thinking Poe and a couple of Rebel Aces pilots?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Only the one core set. I'm probably looking at Poe, Keyan Farlander and Jake Farrel plus a bunch of proxy cards, but I'll play around with some ideas this week.

Thanks all.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, I'm told the local group is happy with printout lists from squad builder or whatever, except during tournaments when people will likely be willing to lend stuff they don't need.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I think I've come up with a complete and fun-sounding list that doesn't absolutely smash the poo poo out of the bank account, only weighing in at 50 quid and one ship I won't use over what I have already.

Poe Dameron (31)
BB-8 (2)
Weapons Guidance (2)
Autothrusters (2)

Jake Farrell (24)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Wired (1)
Autothrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Keyan Farlander (29)
Ion Torpedoes (5)
Kyle Katarn (3)
B-Wing/E2 (1)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

How would that play do you think?

I'm also going to look at an imperial aces-based list so picking up PTL somewhere becomes a bit more viable.

I kind of want one of each faction, but at that point life is getting VEEERY expensive.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Herpderp in all my fiddling I took that second EPT off Jake.

I'm trying to build something I can run cheaply and without proxying if possible, but as noted, I'm not averse to proxying upgrades. I really like the sound of Kyle Katarn on the B Wing though, being able to essentially use focus for attack and defence via spending stress to modify attacks and immediately get focus seems strong, though his skill is a little low. Knocking Poe out is painful, but the Red Squad has most of the interesting bits still in place.

I'll figure something out depending on what they have for sale in the FLGS next week.

I do in the long run want to set up for tournaments though, and maybe not in the FLGS which means not proxying. Ebay market, probably.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Strobe posted:

Focus on one defense die isn't going to save you very much damage, especially if he's getting focused on. It's 3 points you could probably use better for something like PTL, which lets you focus (for defense, if you want) or barrel roll, and then target lock for your torpedo and pick up a stress at the same time.

Yeah, true.

The more I fiddle with this, the more I wonder whether a B Wing is what I want to be flying at all, the only reason I'm really looking at it is because one comes in Rebel Aces, and I think I want to pick that up. I wonder if I might be better off with Poe and two or three A wings. E: though A wings do only get 2 attack. I dunno, maybe I need to play a bit more and figure out a bit more where my style lies.

I'm currently thinking Poe/BB8/Autothrusters, Jake/PTL/Wired/Autothrusters/Chardaan, Keyan/Daredevil/Engine Upgrade but Keyan just feels a bit meh and like he'll take a bunch of damage and die for a lot of cost relative to his effect.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

admanb posted:

B-Wings are great but they are tank-and-spank ships. They justify their cost by keeping enemies in their fire arcs with their tight turns and barrel roll while using 8HP (5 shields!) to stay alive.

If you want to try Poe + two A-Wings look into Proton Rockets.

Yeah proton rockets do seem like they should be super-fun. I kind of want to have a punt with Arvel, Proton Rockets, Intimidation, and... something. Run up, smack into someone, unload explosive onto face, die, just as Arvel should.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ooh, I was wondering about that, because I know boost can't get you into base contact. Didn't know daredevil could.

Yeah, that seems better.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Do you run him with anything other than the HLC?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Poe/BB8/Autothrusters, Jake/PTL, Keyan/HLC/Stay On Target.

Might be the list then.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Panzeh posted:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/11/27/swarm-tactics/

So uh.. interesting stuff there. Not sure they'll change tie swarms much, though.

Show me Ghost goddamnit I want to know whether Ghost/Phantom/Poe sounds like something I want to play.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Han Shopped First is awesome, but is there a convenient way to have it assess multiple lists at once? It would be nice if I could put two lists into it of different factions and not have it spit out multiple copies of things both lists need, but only 1 copy per list.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, the starter box isn't anywhere NEAR enough to play a full list, let alone a competitive one.

This game eats money. But it's sooooo good.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Pyronic posted:

Played a friend with this list tonight, absolutely killed with it:

Latts Razzi (33)
Gunner (5)
Bossk (2)
Hound's Tooth (6)

Talonbane Cobra (28)
Crack Shot (1)
Glitterstim (2)
Stealth Device (3)

N'Dru Suhlak (17)
Lone Wolf (2)

Total: 99

If I had it, I might run weapons engineer and then maybe stick a Stealth Device on N'Dru, but the list as it is here worked wonders.

N'Dru on one side of the board, and then Talonbane doing work against softer targets thanks to Latts.

EDIT: I really wish Latts had an EPT, she would make a great Bodyguard.

I've been trying out this combination of ships a lot, and I think it's good, but your loadouts aren't quite right for my money.

This is roughly what I've been looking at:
Latts Razzi (33)
K4 Security Droid (3)
Weapons Engineer (3)
"Hot Shot" Blaster (3)

Talonbane Cobra (28)
Veteran Instincts (1)
"Hot Shot" Blaster (3)
Engine Upgrade (4)

N'Dru Suhlak (17)
Lone Wolf (2)
"Hot Shot" Blaster (3)

Total: 100

[url=https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Scum%20and%20Villainy&d=v3!s!133:-1,-1,122,29,-1,113:-1:-1:;135:27,-1,113:-1:3:;112:98,-1,113:-1:-1:]View in Yet Another Squad Builder[/url]

Leverage Latts Razzi as much as possible, with target locking 2 people as a free action. Hot Shots everywhere because Hot Shots are great. Engine upgrade on Talonbane > Stealth Device because one extra defence die isn't much on a 2 dice ship, the engine upgrade to get you into range 1 or out to range 3 is going to be better.

I've seen a lot of people say the title isn't worth it, and (not having played the list in person yet) I'm inclined to agree - an unmodified PS5 Z-95 isn't going to do much, even at the end of a fight when everything's a bit worn down, and if it doesn't come out, that's 6 points you've essentially not spent. It's banking on failure, basically.

Deviant posted:

Thoughts on Kihraxz Figher or Hounds' Tooth? They're both on sale today at CSI.
Hound's Tooth seems like a good set to own to me, it has a few solid upgrades in it particularly if you're running Scum, and the ship is a lumbering beast, but it's solid and relatively cheap.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I think getting a decent out of arc attack, especially when you can roll extra dice like N'Dru can with it, can be really solid.

The title just feels like too little too late to me, but I do want to try it out sometime, just because it seems *fun*.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Can a ship fire if it has no enemies in arc? Specifically, can a TIE Phantom get Advanced Cloaking Device to activate if it has nothing in arc to shoot at?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Thought not. I did substantially less well against a PTL boost barrel rolling Dash than I thought, then.

Also

Is there a trick to getting snapped-off pegs out, I'm having no luck at all.

E: turns out the little post bit had snapped off itself so no wonder it was difficult. I dug it out and it turns out the ship has a hole in the bottom the same size as the top of the post anyway, so I think I'm OK as long as it's the right way round.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 3, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I imagine it would be pretty easy with some clippers or a jeweller's saw and a bit of pinning.

The trick would be to avoid snapping the AMAZINGLY spindly guns. I'm seriously considering replacing mine with brass rod.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

hoiyes posted:

Posted a few pages back: AABY. Took it to a mini tourney and went 3-1, does well in the meta, and it fun to fly.

Y-Wing: Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
B-Wing: Blue Squadron Pilot (22)
Fire Control System (2)
A-Wing: · Jake Farrell (24)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Proton Rockets (3)
Autothrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)
Push The Limit (3)
A-Wing: Prototype Pilot (17)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Autothrusters (2)
-- TOTAL ------- 98/100p.
I'm wondering whether the astromech on the Y might be better than the FCS on the B-wing?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

I've tried to answer my own question by reading the op, consulting Amazon and skimming over the thread, but I've failed to come up with something satisfactory - so sorry if I've missed it, I'm sure this gets asked a lot.

I'm planning on buying a present for my flatmate, who's into tabletop games and a big SW fan; this is kind of a boomerang present to be honest, as I'm also into the same stuff :) I'd like to get a base set (probably the Force Awakens one, just to celebrate) but I'd like also to expand a bit in order to have every player handling a bit more stuff.

So...
1) How many empire ship should I get to match rebels ones? Roughly double the number as per core set?
2) I'd also like to vary a bit, so IE: if I get an extra Y-wing or an A-wing, what should I get on the Empire side for it to be roughly equivalent in points?
3) Are the empire ship priced the same as rebel ones (IE: 1 ship costs around 10-12£)? Does this mean playing empire costs about twice as playing rebels?

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/ List builder.
http://randolphw.github.io/han-shopped-first/ List pricer.

Build lists, go nuts. Imp ships are often cheaper points-wise as a rule of thumb, but you can build a very good two-ship imperial list with e.g. TIE Phantom and Decimator, and you can get up to 5 or even 6 rebel ships with cheap A wings and Z 95s. As a relative newbie my impression of the current competitive metagame is 3 to 4 ships per player.

If you find from playing the core set that the game appeals to you, see if you can go to a local group that wont mind you borrowing ships and playing with lists on printouts for at least a few weeks, so you can get your head round the sorts of things you're likely to enjoy playing.

The cheapest ships are around £10 each, so if you want to play a big swarm of TIEs, you will end up spending quite a lot. But the real expense is in upgrades - because the upgrades you will want are very rarely in the same boxes as the ships you will want them on, and some of the really *good* upgrades are only in some of the large and huge ships

If you find you like the game, for my money the best things to start with buying are Rebel Aces and Imperial Aces. You can make very fun 100 point lists for both rebs and imps from either core set and those two boxes for a total of about £70. More fun if you're not bothered about proxying cards you don't have.

E: FWIW my tendency is towards tricked-out high point ships, and I've usually looked at two or three ship lists - I just find swarms too difficult to fly reliably without a lot of practice.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Dec 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

What about rebel lists? Are there any viable with basic cards?

Also: I was browsing Amazon and I've found out Star Wars Armada is a thing. I guess the models/rules are totally non compatible, right? As the scale seems to be totally different at a glance.

It's not so much basic cards as 'what you get in the boxes with the ships'. The cards are of varying utility, but the issue is more that the cards that are useful on one ship are often in the box with a different ship, especially if you want to run low-ship-count ace lists.

You can make lists without any upgrades at all if you want, and those are often pretty competitive, and not much more expensive than ace lists, because you only need to buy the ships/pilots, which limits the number of boxes you need significantly. I'd guesstimate that most individual lists come to between 80 and 150 quid for everything, but you'd often find that the same 80 to 150 quid would build two opposing lists, using the same set of stuff.

As noted above, try the game out, if you like it, watch some old championship matches on the youtubes, then get on the list builder and have a mess about, see what you like the sound of.

For instance, I'm looking at building a list consisting of a TIE Phantom and two TIE Interceptors. To get just the ships would cost me about 40 quid (TIE Phantom and Imperial Aces for the two Inties, or just TIE Phantom and two Interceptor blisters for £30, but that wouldn't get the relevant pilots), but getting all the cards would cost more than £100, and would get me four models I wasn't using including one large-base one, 3 of which could be used to make a fun, if not desperately high-level, Scum and Villainy list, and the other of which in addition to the FA core set could be used to make a two-ship aces rebel list (albeit with a lot of points spent on torpedoes), but putting the cards on to that list would entail getting a bunch more sets and you begin to see how FFG use this game to print money.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 4, 2015

• Locked thread