Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Seldom Posts posted:

What does the FAQ do to turrets? I scanned it but that wasn't obvious to me.

I think he meant torps rather than turrets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

hoiyes posted:

A return to a meta with ships with forward arcs that need to avoid bumps and roll attack dice vs evade dice to do damage?

Now why would anybody want classic dogfighting in a game designed from the ground up to simulate dogfighting, based on an IP that explicitly bases its conception of small ship space combat on classic dogfighting?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

Also imperial aces have a very good chance of not taking a lot of damage from RAC.

Irony of ironies, I have the most trouble with fellow Imperials when I run my Raclo QD.

I love going up against Decimators with my interceptors. Funniest time ever was when the first hull damage I dealt one was the critical that has all subsequent damage cards played face-up....

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Xwing does have the odd idea that a personnel shuttle, a superiority fighter, a bomb truck, cargo freighters and an MRLS platform with wings should all be on the same basic footing, and having dogfights.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Here's the base for my current Escalation list:
"Omega Leader" (21)
Predator (3)
Weapons Guidance (2)
Shield Upgrade (4)

"Omega Ace" (20)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)
Shield Upgrade (4)

Total: 59

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Icon Of Sin posted:

Are you sure you didn't flip around the pilots/upgrades? The upgrades for OA are the favored build for OL, and OA with PtL is about as nasty as they come.

Some Numbers posted:

Omega Leader wants Juke and Comm Relay, maybe Stealth Device. Omega Ace wants Push the Limit and either Engine Upgrade or Twin Ion Mark 2

I'm having good luck with this, so far. Between Predator and WG, Omega Leader puts out consistent damage, while denying dice fuckery, and Ace's ability to force two crits goes good with Juke's ability to nullify an evade.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

overdesigned posted:

That glory awaits us all.

Reminds me of early 90s BattleTech art.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Friction posted:

This is actually the most interesting bit here. Start of subfaction splitting?

That's been there since the blue core box. Rebel, imp, resistance, FO and scum.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Silencers seem really oddly and awkwardly costed.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Recoome posted:

I suppose the high shield + higher agility always attract a much higher initial point cost, which is inevitably revised down.

God I still remember the hype about the TIE Interceptor and how Interceptor swarms were going to break the meta.

I was just hoping that the Silencer could be a sort-of replacement for classic triple Ints. You can have the two named Silencer pilots, and a really awkward number of left over points, or three of the mid-PS generics and a few upgrades. Odd and awkward.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Nearly all of them have.

Best advice: fly what you're comfortable with. Being good with list is usually more valuable than a list being good.

...but my favourite list is triple interceptors.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

I finally got a Silencer (Fuckign Asmodee)

Time for some First Order Shenanigans

==================
Might of the First Order.
==================

Click to change squadron details

97 points

Pilots
------

Kylo Ren (46)
TIE Silencer (35), First Order Vanguard (2), Push the Limit (3), Fire-Control System (2), Advanced Optics (2), Autothrusters (2)

“Omega Leader” (26)
TIE/fo Fighter (21), Comm Relay (3), Juke (2)

“Omega Ace” (25)
TIE/fo Fighter (20), Advanced Optics (2), Push the Limit (3)
I had decent results with a version of this last night, and another version with Blackout w/t PTL, Autothrusters and something or other, and shield upgrades on OL and OA.

I really want to like Debris Gambit, but making it an action really takes it's usefulness away. Maybe double or triple the cost, then change it to 'after you execute your maneuver, gain one evade token, up to a maximum of two, for every obstacle within range one of you.' I think it's worded appropriately so that it doesn't trigger if you get ioned or tractored.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

If you have PTL and primed thrusters, cna you use them? I don't have the cards in front of me currently, but can you boost barrel roll with one stress?

Primed Thrusters says:
Stress Tokens do not prevent you from performing boost or barrel roll actions unless you have 3 or more stress tokens.

Now, with PTL, you take an action, push the limit, take a second action, then take a stress; so assuming you're unstressed, you can already boost, PTL, barrel roll, take a stress, then presumably do a green next turn to clear the stress. This lets you have a stress, boost/BR, PTL, BR/Boost, and gain a second stress. And possibly even do it again next turn, but then you're really stressed. Like, Friday afternoon before vacation and something blows up at work that only you can fix stressed.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Now I'm not sure if Stealth Device counts for Saturation Salvo,
Stealth device straight up says 'increase your agility by one.' Saturation Salvo says 'blah blah with an agility value lower than the squad cost of the torp or missile card blah blah.' So yes, to determine if Saturation Salvo affects a ship, you look at it's total agility, which is printed agility plus stealth device, in this case.

If, on the other hand, SD said 'roll one additional defense die' or something, then no, it wouldn't have any bearing on if Saturation Salvo triggers.

Also note that taking damage from Saturation Salvo wouldn't remove the SD from your ship, as this isn't an attack.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Panzeh posted:

You drop the turret, it pretty much makes all the other scurrgs useless.

Remove both slots from the Scurrg. Release new zero point titles that add either bomb to turret slot. Limit as appropriate?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
How about this, and I have no idea if it's feasible, but: absolutely no autodamage in the game. The only way to 'damage' is to roll an attack, and different effects either add attack dice, remove defense dice, or modify dice.

Then, make the different types or ordinance only usable on certain targets. Torpedoes: cannot target small ships. Missiles: cannot target large ships. Bombs: have one or the other, depending on what they're designed to do. Same with turrets, maybe, but do it differently. You've got your flak turrets that are designed to keep enemy fighters off of you; large base ships roll two extra defense dice. You've got your larger cannon that are designed to smash large ships; small base ships roll two extra defense dice.

Maybe some ships have the option to switch out munitions. "This ship has one missile launcher, but three magazines. When you deploy, plays your 'loaded' token on one missile upgrade card; this is the missile you can use. ACTION: switch your 'loaded' token to another missile upgrade card you have equipped.'

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Funzo posted:

When I first started playing I bought an Interceptor and Imperial Aces. I was incredibly excited to play a triple Interceptor list. Then I tried it and got utterly crushed.
By God and all his angels, you will learn an amazing amount about judging distance, working around debris, visualizing where you'll wind up after a combination of maneuver, boost, and barrel roll, and so on, flying triple Ints. TInts live and die by your personal ability to read your opponent's mind, and learn to put your Int exactly where you want it.

I really wish the Silencer had been Interceptor Mk 2.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

They are extremely unforgiving. One mistake and your interceptor just vanishes. Everyone has that story about losing Soontir at range 3 through a rock to a tiny little shot.

But...they are? The Silencer is a bit more forgiving due to having 2x the health, but also cannot stack defensive tokens, so it takes more chip damage when it's left in a bad spot.

The Silencer doesn't have native evade, has exactly one pilot that's got a pilot skill high enough to be used as an ace, and (to my mind, at least) doesn't have pilot abilities that synergize with the idea of being an ace arc dodger. It's also awkwardly costed. They're agile support ships.

Don't get me wrong, I like them for what they are, and I've had great fun flying a silencer (either blackout or kylo) with Omega Leader and Omega Ace, but it's not the same as flying Soontir, Carnor and Turr. I truly believe we'll see a "First Order Aces" pack for the silencer just like Imp Aces was for the Interceptor.

Interceptors, around when they were released, really reminded me of Interceptors in the old TIE Fighter game; you were slippery, you hit hard, but if you got hit once, there was that horrible crunching sound and half your cockpit displays died. Hit again, and you blew up.

Get rid of autodamage in all forms, and the Int isn't as bad. Maybe an agility bump to fight off red dice creep. Or some cool Interceptor specific ability like 'if your maneuver this round was a three, add one agility dice. A four, add two agility dice. A five, add three agility dice. A one or two, remove one agility die." I don't know. Something.

I just want the pure, technical joy of flying interceptors, living and dying by your ability to position yourself, and having to really REALLY think about what you're doing, to be viable. Three fast, slippery little remora ships. With Silencers, you can't run three and win the positioning game, as your PS is all too low. You can't fly two, because a) you're not going to be putting out enough damage, and b) you're going to be leaving points on the table. Silencers are great as a component in a mixed force, sure.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

That's the thing I like most about X-Wing:

Yes, there are objectively some ships and card combos that are better than others. However, they are rarely so much better that any given match is a foregone conclusion. When they are that much better, there is usually some kind of balance FAQ to reign it in.

The variance in the game, which takes many forms from simple dice to the skill of the players, means that if everything else is equal, that one variant factor can lead to virtually any list winning.
Meh, I still say that there should be zero ability to bestow damage in the game. Everything should be based on attack and agility dice, with various modifiers.

I mean, I like Kylo's 'you get to pick which crit they get next, but you still have to actually hit them with a crit' thing. 'Fly through this part of space, and you now take a minimum of two damage, period, full stop, that's that' on the other hand is stupid.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

canyoneer posted:

Let's talk about measuring range for "may" abilities.

Example, Kanan Jarrus's ability reads:
"When an enemy ship at Range 1-2 is attacking, you may spend a focus token. If you do, the attacker rolls 1 fewer attack die."

FAQ reads, on measuring:
"Players may only measure range and/or use the range ruler to determine whether a ship is inside or outside of a firing arc at the following times:
[...]
When a player declares a ship’s ability that requires another ship (or ships) to be at a certain range, the player trying to resolve the ability can measure range from their ship to any valid ships before resolving the ability."

OK, a ship near Kanan declares a different ship a target of their attack, and the Kanan player is considering spending a focus to use his ability.
If the Kanan player declares that he is measuring for the ability and the condition is met (within range 2), is the Kanan player committed at that point to spend the focus and use the ability, or can they elect to NOT spend the focus?

My thought is that per the first clause, you're measuring to see if it's even possible. Then you have an optional MAY ability, which you can choose to pay the cost of or not. Correct?

I don't see that there's any ambiguity here. You need to check to see if they're actually in range one or two, then, you *may* spend a focus token. Checking to see if they're in range doesn't then obligate you to spend your focus token.

Sure, you wind up being able to gather information you wouldn't have had before, but oh well. No different than 'checking for target lock' when the opponent ship is clearly out of range, but now you have a much better idea of *how much* out of range.

I do wonder if the wording was originally intended to be 'When an enemy ship of range 1-2 is attacking *you*' though.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

A putative missile would be pretty balanced at 4 points, 4 dice, don't spend the lock.

The condition needs to be a choice (either 1 damage and condition, or normal damage no condition, say) or it needs to only work if it deals at least one card.

At a minimum.

But there are a lot of other balance issues in the game at the moment that need attention too. Sabine and TLT in particular.

Hmmm. “Harpoon missiles: if this attack succeeds, and the defender would receive a critical hit, the attacker may choose to cancel that critical hit, and assign the Harpooned! Condition card to the defender.”

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Tequila Ranger posted:

Ok so now we have
"Old Young Han"
"New Old Han"
"New Young Han"

:V

Old New Han.
Cherry Han.
Han Classic.
Crystal Han.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

banned from Starbucks posted:

What does krennic do?

From the article, something like 'for each hit you roll, remove one shield, then cancel the hit.' Lets you blow down shields without worrying about evades or defensive dice.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

hoiyes posted:

It'd also be fantastic on Gunner whisper, you could spend a hit to make sure the first attack misses and then proc firecontrol for second attack.

I don't know if that would work; the attack 'hit' even if it winds up then having all of it's damage cancelled, no?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

Finally, Canada isn't left out

Oh, that's OK, we don't mind, eh. You guys just have fun down there, and keep your sticks on the ice, eh? Good luck, eh!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
What would be good to round out these puppies? Part of me wants to throw a second Harpoon Missile on to each Alpha, but I'm not sure how that would play out IRL. I'm also not married to the First Order Vanguard title.
Rho Squadron Veteran (21)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Long-Range Scanners (0)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (2)

Rho Squadron Veteran (21)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Long-Range Scanners (0)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (2)

Test Pilot "Blackout" (31)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
First Order Vanguard (2)

Total: 92

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Sadly, I don't have prockets or advanced sensors. I thought about putting either predator or saturation salvo on the two star wings, advanced optics and/or sensor jammer on the silencer.

I do have cruise missiles, one each of concussion and assault missiles, or proton torps.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Icon Of Sin posted:

I've wondered about the Sensor Jammer on Blackout before. Sounds like it could have a place, especially if you've got the 2 gunboats to make someone want to hold on to their focus for offense (of if you're facing a fair number of wookie gunships and they do nothing but reinforce :v: )

Just think of sensor jammer as a permanent evade token. Kind of. I flew against a guy flying Assaj and Boba Fett the other day, who was rerolling dice left, right and center; sensor jammer would have been useful there. On the other hand, sensor jammer doesn't help so much against, say, a silencer, who's probably going to have a focus token handy.

I guess with the star wings, what I'm really asking is 'should I have more than one ordnance option, so I can go TL, shoot, TL, shoot, reload, or just TL, shoot, reload, TL, shoot, reload?'

I'm used to flying Interceptors, Silencers, and TIE/fos, so I'm used to lots of weaving, arc dodging, and converging tactics. I think with a silencer and two gun boats, I need to shift my mind-set to keeping at range and harrying? Especially with LRS; target lock, move in, shoot, move/SLAM away, reload, acquire new target lock, move back in, maybe?

See how I commit the cardinal sin of buying Alphas today, and flying in a local tournament with them on Sunday.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

alg posted:

Engine upgrade to make your attack worthless.

Barrel roll at the cost of an action is an option.

T-roll at the cost of an action is an option.

Defender title was a free evade action and a reduction in cost. The refit is good in that respect but not quite as good as x7.

You know it’s not an action to flip s-foils, right?

At the start of the activation phase, you can choose to flip the card. So if you’re about to fly into combat, you open them. You get to decide, after revealing a 3 hard, if you want to talon roll or not. If you’re running away, you close them, and you get boosts and green 2 banks.

And with renegade refit, you get to equip this for free.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

alg posted:

Of course I know that.

Yes it's a free card that provides more options. Is it going to break the game as claimed? No.

Renegade refit is solid but also not game breaking.

No, it won’t break the game, but it’s not garbage, either. I must have misunderstood why you seemed to keep saying it cost actions.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Triple Ints don’t even fall into the “you’ll have a lot of fun losing” category these days against most remotely meta lists.

But they’re a great way to learn positioning.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
X-Wing 2.0 announced!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

quote:

Although most of the Galactic Empire's ships from the first edition are represented in the conversion kit, those emblazoned with the emblem of the First Order are not. Pilots like Kylo Ren and his TIE silencer carry on the legacy of the Empire in a new era, struggling to retake control of the galaxy from the New Republic and the Resistance. Therefore, the First Order is being developed into a separate faction for X-Wing Second Edition and will receive its own conversion kit as a future expansion.
I'm guessing the Resistance and First Order conversion kits might be cheaper, as there's less ships?

• Locked thread