Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Leo Showers posted:

Speaking of Rebel Aces, will pimped up B-Wing/E2's be even that great? Phantoms are a thing now and they are pretty great for being able to murder slower single starfighters with limited firing arcs. I mean they'd be great if it was pre-Wave 4 meta because B-Wings were pretty top poo poo, this is really the only B-Wing I'm not looking forward to facing

:eyepop:

e: Just to be clear, it basically means you can potentially hamper Phantoms with Flechette (or Ion) Torpedoes.

Nera with Flechette Torpedos and Munitions Failsafe sounds super fun.

I'm trying to revise my current Rebel list and could use some suggestions.

It started as:
Luke Skywalker (28)
Wedge Antilles (29)
Roark Garnet (24) -- HWK-290 (19), Ion Cannon Turret (5)
Airen Cracken (19)

The idea is a high pilot skill squad that doesn't depend on actions to use pilot abilities (since I bump into poo poo all the time :cripes:)

Recently I decided that Tarn Mison with an R7 Astromech has some of the defensive capability of Luke, and that I could free up three points that way. I just can't decide what to spend them on. I'd like to spread the points around rather than pile them on Wedge, but maybe that's a waste of the value that can be had for three points.

Right now I'm thinking about this:

Tarn Mison (25) -- X-Wing (23), R7 Astromech (2)
Wedge Antilles (29)
Roark Garnet (25) -- HWK-290 (19), Ion Cannon Turret (5), Nien Nunb (1)
Airen Cracken (21) -- Z-95 Headhunter (19), Squad Leader (2)

Should I just go for PTL on Wedge or something?

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

My god.

Also, so glad they are going into more crazy EU than making the ugly Episode 1-3 stuff.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

jivjov posted:

I'm surprised that we're getting a new faction this late..I would have thought that would be something added in like Wave 2 or 3 or something.

I'm guessing it's because they still had lots of iconic ships from the films to release through wave 3. They probably didn't plan on another faction until last year or so when it was clear the game was a huge success and they would run out of ships that fit either Rebel or Imperial.

I hope they get the rules and feel right, but they've done so well so far that I trust them to do that. What I'm most excited about is that they may come up with new rules for 3 player games!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

jivjov posted:

Oooh, I didn't even think of that; I'd be down for a 3-player match.

It's really my only complaint with the game, that if two friends and I want to play then we can only really 2v1.

I guess with a third faction, 1v1v1 could be done in some way to prevent king making or teaming up. Conflicting objectives maybe?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Does anyone know the points costs of the generic outrider and decimator pilots? Those were missing from the official FFG posts but it should be known now that the product is out.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

My storage method might not scale well for some people's collections, but I have about one of each ship and two cores. I don't bring my whole collection with me, so I have some leeway there. Here's what I do:

All the cardboard goes in one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-25-Removable-Compartment-Professional-Organizer/dp/B00005QWYF

That thing can fit the range and movement templates, dice, maneuver dials for 20+ ships, pilot cards, etc. It's also rock solid, doesn't spill pieces during movement, and the little boxes come out individually. Not bad for $13 each.
You can see how people fill them here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/943758/my-non-plano-storage-solution-now-storing-epic-shi

The ships themselves I just keep in the plastic containers from the blister, since it's already molded to fit. For transporting a small squad, those containers fit into a core set box:

The original large ship boxes also fit two large ship containers to one box.

For longer term storage, I just bought one of these bigger versions of the organizer above: http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Removable-Compartment-Professional-Organizer/dp/B001G1CUK0
I put all the small ships in there and pull out the containers when I need them.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I just noticed that the StarViper comes with seven ion tokens :stare:

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 17, 2014

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'd personally like to see the game as accessible as possible. They've already opened things up somewhat by "reprinting" Advanced Sensors in the E-Wing, a card that used to only be in the shuttle. Same with Push the Limit and now Imperial Aces.

Is anyone else a little unsettled by how fast they are releasing product? Rebel Aces isn't even in stores, yet the Scum and Villainy stuff is set to release by the end of the year.

I'd like a little more time for the meta-game to adjust, considering I only get to play at most 2 or 3 times per week.

Edit:

Also to get any other complaining out of the way, in that designer interview they say that "Scum are the faction you play if you like tricks. If you like control decks in magic," and that scum have a lot of "jerk moves." The new HWK can supposedly turn abilities against you.

This doesn't sound fun to me. The game is fundamentally about planning out and controlling your ships. Denial of control doesn't see very fun in that context, nor do "jerk" moves. Who wants to look at their opponents squad and think "ugh, this won't be fun." Of course no one knows what the actual cards will be, but those were my thoughts.

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 18, 2014

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

HiveCommander posted:

In regards to the 'denial of control', Ion cannons have existed since wave 1. Biggs has been around for just as long, who manipulates who you're actually shooting at (just like a redirect spell in MTG) and as Chill mentioned, stress manipulation and management has been a lot more common in recent waves.

Oh it definitely exists in the game already. What I'm worried about is a whole squad with Biggs-like abilities, or the equivalent of a control deck.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Strobe posted:

4 Golds with Ions and Flechettes is already a huge control squad.

So is 4 Greys with two Flecettes and Munitions Failsafe.

They already exist.

And I don't find those squads to be very fun, which they are pushing. That's all I'm saying.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Hra Mormo posted:

This is incomplete. Sometimes the defender modifies the attacker's roll or vice versa. When this happens, it is always the person who did not roll the dice who has to modify first.

Another thing I often see people getting mixed up about is flying through and overlapping stuff.

Flying through another ship: No Effect
Overlapping another ship: Forfeit Action, K-Turns fail, become equivalent straight maneuver
Flying through obstacle: Forfeit Action, roll one red die and suffer result, including possible critical
Overlapping an obstacle: Forfeit Action, roll one red die and suffer result, including possible critical, cannot attack this round

Overlapping an obstacle also doesn't make you immune to that obstacle on the next round. If you fly through or land on the same asteroid next turn, you suffer the effects again.

You barely ever get to measure, and most actions that allow you to measure force you to commit to that action if you can legally finish it, such a Target Lock or Boost.

Also, a given die can only be rerolled once per attack. So you can't double up on Han and target lock, or spend target lock after forced to reroll by R7.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

overdesigned posted:

Got my Wave 5/RebAces today. The Decimator is baller. As. gently caress.

The YT-2400 model is kinda underwhelming. The YT-1300 is so much more detailed, it's sort of a letdown.

Where'd you get them? It's hard to tell when stores will be shipping Aces.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

overdesigned posted:

The owner of my FLGS went up to GenCon, he had Very Important Gamer badges for him and a friend so was able to come back with 4x of each, and sold 3 of them on first-come-first-serve basis.

Nice!

How do the rules for the new obstacle tokens work? In competitive play are you allowed to substitute them in 1:1, or do opponents have to agree to use them?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Shockeh posted:

So, in my ongoing crusade to abuse Green Squadron, toying with whether Expose can be playable at 4 points and Green's ability as the only unnamed pilot to get two EPT's...

How does anyone feel about using this, over & over:

Green Squadron Pilot (24)
A-Wing (19), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Expose (4), Push the Limit (3)

A-Wing (19), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Expose (4), Push the Limit (3)

Jake Farrell (28)
A-Wing (24), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Ruthlessness (3), Push the Limit (3)

The core concept being you have PtL A-Wings that can on demand turn themselves into X-Wings, in terms of Firepower/Agility. Get in close, dogfight around with Boost, and abuse the PtL Action to always have Evade or Focus until you line up a good shot, then Expose to get the extra Firepower.

E: Obviously, you can interchange the Expose/Ruthlessness with your combination of Predator, Ruthlessness or Outmanoeuvre, depending on your personal preference, I can't decide which at this pointt.

That looks awesome, and I'm probably going to play something similar once Rebel Aces is out. I do feel like I'd want a tank though, since the Greens will likely go down pretty quickly if caught in focused fire. Here's what I'm probably going to run:

Jake Farrell (28)
A-Wing (24), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Push the Limit (3), Outmaneuver (3)

Green Squadron Pilot (23)
A-Wing (19), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Push the Limit (3), Predator (3)

Green Squadron Pilot (23)
A-Wing (19), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Push the Limit (3), Predator (3)

Blue Squadron Pilot (26)
B-Wing (22), B-Wing/E2 (1), C-3PO (3)

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Ville Valo posted:

Is it confirmed Rebel Aces comes with 2x Chardaan Refit? Was thinking of buying a 2nd A-Wing before the pack comes out, but then I'd be short a Refit...

Haven't heard it confirmed by anyone who got one at Gencon, but their promo page for it certainly shows two.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

So I decided to pick this up today. 80 bux got me a starter, 2 extra Fighters, and a B-Wing.

Our first game was the cheapest variants of each ship, and boy I can confirm Academy Pilots are loving useless. Our second game was us taking a more balanced list (I think it ended up like 68 points for me and 72 for him (on 2 loving ships)) and he lost like second turn when I took down his X-Wing in one turn of firing.

Did you fly your pilots in a tight formation or did you spread them out over the board? It's almost always best to group ships like that together and treat them as one formation. This article really helped me with that back when I started the game.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/915993/maneuvers-101-lots-pictures

From that article, this is a really good formation to start with:

It's a nice formation because you can give every ship the same bank maneuver and they won't run in to each other:

Edit: It sounds like you already figured that all out, but yeah Academy Pilots need to stick together to be effective.

With only two Rebel ships I usually cap point limits at 50, or 60 max. As you found out, focused fire from 4+ ships can often wipe out a rebel ship in one turn. At 72 points a third rebel ship is almost mandatory to keep up with the number of Ties, so until that's possible I'd lower the point cap a bit.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

In general, focus is better for 3 dice, target lock and evade is better for 2.

I hadn't heard this before, what's the reasoning?

I know that focus and target lock have the same probability for rolling a given number of hits (counting a critical hit as a hit).

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

Thank you for the correction. Trying to visualize things in class without models is tough.

Given a probability is the same, focus is more flexible. Usually a pilot will only ever have 3 of either stay but that's where you get into skill #, hp left on target, etc. It's a decent general rule.

Focus is definitely more flexible and you have a higher chance of the focus token remaining after you attack. I'm wondering where the "target lock is better than focus for 2 attack dice" comes from. I generally only take a TL if I know I won't be shot at, or if there are conflicting free actions.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Luebbi posted:

Sorry to bring this back up, but i could really use some pointers before I go to the nerdshop tomorrow. Thanks!

I agree with alg. Phantom is single most powerful imperial ship, and the Defender comes with Outmaneuver and Predator which are great upgrades. Those will be the biggest boosts to your imperial side. Imperial Aces is great if you want the upgrade cards and Royal Guard ties, but may be redundant for you since you already have two interceptors. I'd wait on it.

To elaborate, here's what I think of the other ships you don't seem to have so far:

Tie Bomber: In my experience these don't preform great. Missles are somewhat underpowered right now, and the low PS bombers are fragile missile delivery devices. I like the Firespray better for missiles and bombs since it's likely to last long enough to use them. The most common use of a single bomber that I see these days is Captain Jonus in a Howlrunner-like role around ships with lots of secondary weapons, but that's a very specific build.

Lambda: I love the Lambda because it's a very cheap 3 attack ship. It's also hard to fly because it has the slowest dial in the game, but with practice lots of people have figured out how to fly it well. The Vader crew upgrade is nice on the Lambda and can be helpful against Phantoms. I'd get one of these if it sounds fun to you.

Z-95: I'd also pick one of these up soon when you want to buff rebels. Having a 12 point option for rebels really helps fill in squads that would otherwise need to take those points as upgrades. Also Airen Cracken has been great for me.

E-Wing: I don't use this a lot so I can't comment on it, but people seem to like it and I've played against it a lot. It's expensive but tough and maneuverable with a great attack, and the named pilots are great.

Rebel Transport: I wouldn't buy this yet unless you want to play Epic, or really want the extra X-Wing stuff.

Tantive: Same as above. You're better off just proxying C-3PO until you eventually want to buy this.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

signalnoise posted:

I'm having a problem building anything as Rebs. I have only played the game a couple times so far, but I played Empire both times and won, and it seemed to me like the way to win was to have more attack dice than the other guy, and a lot of defense dice. Fairly simple. I assume there's more to the game than this but I am not able to see it yet. I was thinking, before I really played, that the difference between rebels and empire was that rebels were more ~unique~ and empire was more uniform. This seems to be the case except I have all these pilots where I don't see all the combination potential, while empire gets Howlrunner and ships that cost 25-50% less.

I know the OP says get everything that you think looks cool, but for someone that doesn't have any restrictions on what to own other than retail availability, can someone outline for me the basic meta of the game regarding squad building for both rebels and empire, or link to a known good guide on it that won't lead me into mediocrity?

Just for reference, are you playing mostly with friends who are also learning the game? Or playing with people at a game shop or other league? If it's just with friends, I can sympathize that it's hard to get started building squads with all the possibilities out there now. Even when I started and wave 3 had just come out, it seemed overwhelming.

Tekopo gave a good summary of what the most common builds are, though in a less competitive environment you might not have to worry about facing those every time. If you want to see specific lists you can always look for the squads in the top 8 of various tournaments, but I'd recommend reading tournament reports by those players to see how and why they chose what they did.

Paul Heaver is particularly good at explaining his strategy and piloting, and reading his strategy behind the list that got him to the Worlds 2013 championship was helpful for me http://teamcovenant.com/pheaver/2013/11/17/playing-as-or-against-my-worlds-list/
You can also watch that championship game with commentary, and it's a pretty great game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQvcrdDZ2Oo

That tournament was from back before Imperial Aces came out, but the basic principles are the same. A squad should have some sort of basic plan or strategy for how it plays, like the above "keep Biggs at long range and get the B-Wings in close," or "engage with a Firespray/Defenders while trying to flank with a Phantom/Interceptor." When I play rebel XX** my plan is usually just to make the opponent fly through the asteroid field and try to focus fire their highest priority target, while trying not to break my squad up.

Be sure to ask more questions too, I'd write more but I'm not sure where exactly you're having trouble with building Rebel squads.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Right now just with friends. The problem I have right now is that it seems like with empire it's easy enough to just pick a good ship, get a lot of it for cheap, and roll around in a wing with a couple synergies. Rebel seems more like it needs very tightly directed synergies in multiple directions with a lot of modifications. I don't know how right that is on either side. I also don't really know if any of these cards that look bad are actually bad or if there are some like... modification packs or something that work well with specific dudes. I'm trying to make little mini-combos in each ship and planning to use a couple ships in formation to capitalize on stuff but then when it gets on the table those formations break up pretty quick.

Seems like it's just a really deep game to be honest.

I see. Yeah unfortunately there are several bad/overpriced upgrades and pilots now that some of them have been around so long. In general if I'm considering a named pilot with lots of upgrades I'll compare them to the cheapest incarnation of the ship. Ibitsam + Adv Sensors + Veteran Instincts might seem cool, but at 32 points that's a third of your squad and will die just as fast as a 24 point Blue + FCS. As a counter-example, PTL and Stealth Device on Howlrunner can be good choices, because that 6 points might buy you an extra turn of Howlrunner buff to your entire swarm.

There's no harm in experimenting though, that's how you'll learn how valuable certain abilities are. Every time I play a game I try to identify moments where I wished I had a certain upgrade or ability, and that helps when tweaking lists later.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

Any word on wave 5 release dates? I checked the GTM mag and it said October for the 2 big ships but nothin about rebel aces.

According to this the first Rebel Aces printing is in transport to FFG, after which it would need to ship to stores. Someone earlier in the thread said end of month for Rebel Aces which seems likely.

If FFG's site is accurate and Wave 5 isn't on the boat, then Oct 2 is unlikely for those.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Leo Showers posted:

Chardaan Refit is amazing, the fact that a PS3 A-Wing with Push the Limit is worth the same amount of points as a regular PS3 TIE Interceptor with no PtL is just weird. Point for point, the A-Wing is better and really should beat the TIE Interceptor every time.

e: Or you could have 2x EPT (such as Wingman) on all your Green Squadron Pilots and just Push the Limit all day, every day.

With attack 2 and no barrel roll, the A-Wings need PTL to be comparable to the offense of a Tie Int.

That said, the current designers have said that Tie Ints will get a buff against turret ships, which I think is their biggest failing. Right now the only Int I run is Soontir, who is still incredibly good.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The Gate posted:

Some sort of modification that added rerolls or agility against someone who is attacking you from outside arc would be cool.

I really like this, or at least something like that. I don't like using my YT because it feels boring to not worry about where the front arc is pointing except for movement purposes.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The Aces packs own, yeah. The X-Wing and Tie-Fighter expansions will likely be more fun than the extra core set, because they have awesome pilots and upgrades you don't get in the core set, namely Howlrunner and Wedge.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I hadn't followed X-Wing since wave 4, just as wave 5 was coming out and the first scum and villany expansion was announced.

Can anyone summarize what the meta-game is like now? I'm wondering which new ships are worth picking up first, and what the most popular builds are. Are Tie Swarm and Double Falcon still relevant? Is there a new card like C-3PO that is auto-include for some ships?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Tekopo posted:

Autothrusters are the auto-include in any ship that has boost in their action bar. It basically makes the ship much more reliably survivable against turrets. The current popular lists include: double IG lists, single IG and swarm, TIE swarms (they seem to be making somewhat of a comeback), Fat Hans + mini-swarms, Fat Han + Dash, Dash + Mini Swarm or Deci + Soontir/Whisper/Mini-Swarm (these seemed to be the sort of lists that I saw at the top tables at my regional).

Thanks. Is the Scyk any good? I was looking through recent regionals lists and didn't see any in the top 8s I glanced. I also didn't see any StarVipers that weren't Prince Xizor.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I made a crappy version of the maneuver card for the Kihraxz fighter, compared to the X-Wing. I find it easier to compare this way then reading the dial directly.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Any guesses on when the Imperial Raider is due in stores?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Devlan Mud posted:

Placed fifth of nine in a local league kit tourney while running the Luke/Wes/Wedge superfriends, and came home with alt art dash, three ptl, and a recon specialist or two. It was fun times.

Bless you

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'm teaching a friend X-Wing today, and am wondering if anyone's thought of alternate small-squads that are good for this. There's always the core set intro, but as I have all this ships I figure I can do something more interesting.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

A wings vs tie interceptors, using lower pilot skill, provide a great way to learn positions, the value of repositioning, and tempo. It's also a great way to get people hooked on nasty auto thruster-enabled ships :evilbuddy:

Great idea. I was going to use a few of the big-names like Wedge and Vader, but I think the complex movement would be more interesting. Would you include upgrades as well?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Ultimate cheap option is to buy some black felt at a fabric store, where they can cut it to 3x3 for you. It's hard to flatten, but if you have an iron and are careful you can do it. This is a good temporary solution while you save up for a better mat.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

zVxTeflon posted:

Heres the dial upgrade thing

Where will those ship icons come from? They aren't on the back of anything right?

Those look neat, I can see buying a few for each faction. Looking at ship icons rather than generic ship names is way easier, especially for things like the Falcon vs Outrider.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The Gate posted:

Wave 7 has actually done quite a bit too change the meta. Twin laser turret combined with the scoring changes has pushed 2 ship turret builds out of the "#1 best choice forever" spot to merely "good.". This has brought arc dodging lists back a little, along with the reappearance of ships with PS 3-7. Basically, things have opened up a lot, and everything from the two ship builds that have been dominating for the past year, to 3 ship ace lists, to 4 ship builds, to swarms are viable right now.

This is encouraging, I was disappointed with the meta several months ago. It's unfortunate that the FFG model is complete power creep, but that the rest of the meta has opened up is nice at least.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Foolster41 posted:

But... is it? It seems FFG has done its best to avoid power creep. In fact what the Gate said indicates the opposite of power creep since there are lots of solid strategies using older ships. I mean, sure there's going to be slips now and then where one strategy becomes dominant, but FFG seems pretty good at least trying to fix it (Tie Adv/x1 title, 1/2 life rule for large and huge ships) , rather than making it a financial model.

Lack of power creep is part of why I really like X-wing, and honestly I'd probably give up on playing it out side of casual games with wave limits or with squads built from my collection.

I was probably too harsh. I'm not saying that the game is poorly balanced, but I don't like that FFG is unable to rebalance the game by making anything less powerful. The B Wing was an obvious mistake at its points cost for example.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

I agree...the B-Wing and the TIE Defender are prominent examples of ships that need their points costs tweaked. Other ships could probably stand minute adjustments here and there as well if you really wanted to get nitty gritty about it. It's simply that FFG can't, or more aptly could but doesn't want to, issue errata that directly adjusts the printed values on cards. And okay, I can understand why they probably don't want to, because issuing errata of that nature suddenly diminishes the ability for casual players to just crack open a pack and start flying their shiny new ships, as soon as it hits the table and they hear "oh actually, according to the errata" I guarantee a not-insignificant number of people would start checking out at that point. It's a rough line to have to walk...keeping things fresh and doing your best to ensure that everything is viable and fun in its own way is the sign of a healthy game (just look at what a shitshow GW games are for a counterpoint) but errata, no matter how helpful, diminishes the perceived quality of a game.

Yeah, balancing via errata would be terrible. I'm not sure how they should handle it, but eventually the design space is going to run out.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Deviant posted:

Is there any reason to keep this big stack of 'reference cards'? i.e. like "Ion Token" and such?

I like having them for proxies. Print out whatever you want and sleeve them together, looks much better than card stock.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I dunno, maybe bigger Epic play stuff? People should buy as many ships as they want. When Rebel Aces was on crazy discount as CSI, I bought two of them because I use Prototype pilots and want them to be blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The Gate posted:

Also, for new players, I don't know if this is in the OP already or not, but this is by far the most useful thing I've ever read on this game: Maneuver Guide

Yep, this guide was huge for me. It should probably go in the OP.

• Locked thread