Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Chomp8645 posted:

I did think that it was very curious from a general marketing perspective (not just FFG stuff) that in the entire film there is not a single non-civilian ground vehicle, or any capital ship other that whatever Star Destroyer-esque ship the bad guy rides around on.

You're forgetting about Rey's land speeder, as shown in the trailer (and film).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Kilo147 posted:

I don't want an ISD

That does not compute. I'm considering getting a second ISD just so I can run a "double deuce" list because who doesn't love giant loving star destroyers I don't even understand

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

drunkill posted:

A bunch of people have gone and made a community mod/expansion for Armada. Pretty cool that people are willing to do that.
Shipyards Set 1: Heir to the Empire. Based on the Thrawn trilogy. All new cards, a few new ships (which you could then print yourself or use stand-ins)
https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/195593-shipyards-set-1-heir-to-the-empire/
http://armadashipyards.com/set-1/

Nice Interdictor art. So, here's my question about the interdictor... (spoilers for movie and Star Wars Rebels)

They made the Interdictor canon with Star Wars Rebels, but Ep. VII showed the Falcon leaving hyperspace right above the planet in order to do a stealth insertion. So, what does that say about the efficacy of Interdictors? Seems like JJ pretty much unintentionally nullified Interdictors. I'm planning to run a Star Wars RPG in a few months, and the Interdictor was always my favorite tool for surprising and freaking out players. Now, I have to be ready for the inevitable "BUT IN EPISODE 7 HAN SOLO DID A THING". I mean, it's not totally unmanageable or anything, but curious if I'm the only one that read the situation this way.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Orvin posted:

This is my experience on dials for Imperials when running a VSD, 2x GSD, and 3ish TIE Ints.

I always started the VSD at speed 2, and the GSD usually at 2 as well. All three ships would have a turn 1 engineering for the token. Then all three ships have maneuver. Mostly for the token, but occasionally for positioning (whatever was needed to get a good shot lined up with the GSDs.

The third dial is where it starts getting tough to generalise. The gladiators usually had a concentrate fire for that opening salvo (hopefully at range 1). I would usually use it to add a black die and try for a crit to save Screed for the second attack. The VSD would sometimes have a squadron command set up if I needed the alpha strike to remove a squad (or to make sure something got locked down) otherwise it also got a concentrate fire command to help with the opening salvo.

After that, the gladiators typically altered engineering and navigate to help keep them alive, or keep their firepower on target. More navigate commands if they had engine techs, and more engineering if they were taking damage. I will sometimes queue up nothing but engineering commands if a particular GSD is the primary target. If a gladiator is taking all the attention, it usually leave the other to set up for some nasty attacks.

The VSD usually starts alternating concentrate fire and navigate commands for the last turns. The navigate is for extra turning to desperately try to keep anything in arc, or just in range. The Concentrate fire to make sure that when you can shoot at something you get as much damage out as possible.

How much of an advantage is there for getting rid of a dial? Basically, is the Relentless title for ISD any good at all?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Taran_Wanderer posted:

I think it's closest to Twilight Imperium.

Now I gotta have this no matter what Unnnnggggghhhhhhhh

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I really want a double deuce list I can use for store champs in a month. Is it possible to make a viable ISD-II x2 list?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Is the FFG Star Wars LCG any good? My standard of good would be "approaching how good the Decipher CCG was." i.e. doesn't have to be perfect, but should at least offer some strategic depth.

e: nvm I found the LCG thread...

Finster Dexter fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 7, 2016

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I'm kind of resigning myself to never getting Armada to the table consistently, so I'm thinking about LCG. Though, I can't see the LCG sucking me in the same way that plastic spaceships did.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

alg posted:

It makes sense for a manufacturer to sell products to stores that promote their products and support their organized play at a better price than online warehouses. The game wouldn't exist without FLGS. 30% discount instead of 50% discount is hardly being screwed.

I mostly agree, but there are also a lot of lovely FLGS out there that don't give a poo poo about poo poo other than Friday Night Magic (for example). Oh yay you have a few wobbly tables covered in soda residue and sweat. Worst case scenario Asmodee would sell all their goods through coolstuffinc and amazon, and I'd go back to playing board games and RPG at home and the local library, like I used to "back in the day".

And I'm not trying to say FLGS should fail, because there are some good ones locally, and I DO try to support them, because they actually put some effort into running events, etc. But there's others that are just garbage.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I have one of these for xwing, I plan on getting a 3x6 very soon

http://www.ds-tone.com/space-mats/

Are they too smooth or slide-y?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

So the inevitable expansion will end up fixing everything and making it awesome like the TI3 expansions did?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I buy ImpAss packs based on whether they will work as minis for RPG sessions.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Chill la Chill posted:

Someone made what looks like accidental blackface. :lol: the wookie (Ishova) is a 200 year old black and silver with braid beads dipped in blood

That keyboard is loving gross

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

So, the Interdictor is Large size? hard to tell from the images

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

:siren:

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

CSI has an Armada sale starting today and ending on the third.

:siren:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I don't have any Gladiators, is it worth getting 2?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

This looks promising:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=713586082

e: Holy crap, this is awesome!

tutorial: http://imgur.com/a/SML3E

Finster Dexter fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 6, 2016

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

pbpancho posted:

That's why it can be cheap, because it'll make you buy a bunch more ships :D

well played, ffg

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Kilo147 posted:

Said blurry image is a CSS-1 Corellian Star Shuttle, in senatorial red, methinks.

The CSS-1 engines are in a triangle formation and are much larger in proportion to the ship.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

You mean you don't "enjoy this format’s aspects of discovery and trading"?

:barf:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

The Star Wars Destiny dice are comically large. They are very pretty though. I'm trying to ignore the CCG itch in the back of my mind.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Carteret posted:

I enjoyed the demo. Quick play, fast games, and the collectable part doesn't seem too gross after talking to them. The highest rarity cards (legendary) are like, 1/6?

1/6? As in, if I bought 6 boosters, 1 of them will have a legendary card? hmm... that doesn't sound very good at all

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Carteret posted:

For a collectable game, that feels like good odds. Chase Mythics in magic are like, 2 per booster box? Maybe?

Yeah, Mythic rares in MTG are a whole other level. I think those were like 1 in dozens of boxes if you're looking for a specific one?

I think about the chase rares in something like L5R, and I think those were about 1 or 2 per booster box (like 30-ish packs, IIRC) so maybe you're right. drat, I really don't need to be sucked into another CCG business model game, but this does seem worth getting a couple starters and enough boosters so I have BB-8 or whatever. Will they have Poe??

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

This is just me but I refuse to buy Gladiator SD. I have these perfectly good ISDs and VSDs why would I want that thing. (I know they are good but)

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

For Destiny, I plan to at least buy a couple starters to see if my wife and I like it (she likes X-wing yay) but I probably will leave it at that.

...at least that's what I tell myself :v:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

blackmongoose posted:

I'd assume the rouge ability will come with Red Squadron :v:

And maybe Howlrunner, but she seems kinda goth so maybe not.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

twig1919 posted:

According to the article, they are releasing versions of most squads that are the same as the base but they have rouge, for a couple points more than the base.

Yes, we were making fun of you for spelling ROUGE instead of ROGUE.

Rouge is french for Red and also a type of makeup

:v:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

General Battuta posted:

Bet you're pretty red in the face about it

:golfclap:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Tekopo posted:

I think I'm pretty much gonna stop buying new things for Armada. I've got all the ships I actually like the look of and I can't keep up with two lifestyle games :shrug:

I had come to the same conclusion the other day. I'm probably going to get Corellian Campaign and leave it at that.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Yeah, I don't know of any of the 4 FLGS that I go to that haven't sold through 100% of everything they've ordered and then some, with some pre-orders having to wait until the 15th and maybe after. I've also been talking to hard core ccg ubernerds and they all like the game, as well.

gently caress. When the 3rd/4th wave of shipments come in Jan, I'm probably going to dive into this. I don't know if it's going to be as huge as Magic, but maybe... and with FFG's organized play... mmmm this should be real good

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Vitamin P posted:

Anyone else watching Rogue One tonight and constantly gonna be thinking "hmm yeah, FFG should do/shouldn't do that ting"?

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/808895992577818625

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

According to the visual guide the ship was like a mon cal civic center arcology building that they launched to escape the imperials.

That's kind of awesome.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

E: ha, 4 to 6 players for the campaign? I think maybe stores are buying too many of those...

Welp, guess I'm taking that off my wish list, then.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

NTRabbit posted:

The X-Wang thread usually recommends for the first buys after a starter, if memory serves, Imperial Veterans, Imperial Aces, Rebel Aces, and Heroes of the Resistance

Yeah, pretty much. I think Rebel Aces has gone down in overall value since B-wings are kind of low to mid tier right now. Also, if you didn't get it, you'll eventually want the new TFA core set (with Poe Dameron) because it has a revised damage deck that is better than the old one. They are both 100% legal to use, though.

But by all means, head over to the x-wangs thread it is good: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3657860&pagenumber=760#lastpost

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I dunno... I haven't read much of the vader comic but almost everything dumb about the new EU seems to come from there.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I like Thrawn in principle. The version in Rebels is really good, imo. I recently re-read the Thrawn trilogy and a lot of the stuff Zahn tacked on like ysilimari and the clone stuff was kinda loopy.

The genteel Imperial officer that is so tactically and strategically dominant that he could rise to the highest military rank in a very pro-human gov't even though he had blue skin and weird eyes is kind of cool. People think the art thing was dumb, but I actually liked that, too, and some of what people hated about it has been warped and exaggerated for effect.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Iceclaw posted:

Eh, Thrawn still just have to study a handful of pieces of art to instantly deduce a whole race's innate fears. And he then delivers gems such as "They are afraid of the unknown, so if we pretend to have a super weapon that can bypass all their defenses nilly willy, they'll surrender". Truly a master strategist at work here. But I do confess the general concept of him works. It's just badly executed.

The implication was, though, that in all those cases he wasn't studying a single piece of art, but that he collected samples of their art as part of a detailed study into their entire body of artwork.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Iceclaw posted:

I know star wars is pretty big on the "all aliens are the same" trope, but reducing the art production of a whole specie in any kind of usable sample is... hard.

Tell me more. Next, I'd like to hear about how unrealistic it is to have "all-desert" planet, "all-snow" planet, and "all-forest" moon.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

FFG here's a free idea: Sell a Scarif campaign exp for impass pls. I would pay all my moneys for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Vitamin P posted:

That would be cool. If it wouldn't mean yet more desert tiles a campaign set in and around Jedha city would be cool too. They could even add an 'aid, but at a price' mechanic for if the rebels choose to work with Saw.

Yeah there are a lot of really good options there. A couple branching points maybe based on whether you try to kill/save Galen Erso. Could be very cool.