Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

The WiiU is pretty fun, yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Sitting Bull posted:

Bought a Wii U last week, own MK8, NSMBU, and Pikmin 3. I want to buy another game today, gimmie suggestions. Of the games I have, Pikmin is my favorite. I'm not so into 2d/3d scrollers, so DKC TF is out, and I'm not into the 3D Mario either. Mass Effect 3? Monster Hunter? WWHD? Wonderful 101?

Buy Mario 3D World anyway. Barring that Wonderful 101, Wind Waker and Monster Hunter in that order.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

codenameFANGIO posted:

Is DeBlob actually a game worth checking out? It always looked like lame generic mascot platformer garbage to me.

It's really good with a good music direction (which you can mess with) and art style and it's really clear the people who made it put a lot of love into it (which I had corroborated by a friend who wound up QA'ing the game and the devs went out of their way to fix every single thing no matter how minor it was.)

The sequel not so much.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Ultigonio posted:

:mad:

Here's a quick look at what the Recommended Wii Games will look like:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=20252

Feel free to let me know if you see something that makes you want to, like, blow homeless shelters up or set fire to daycares or something.

Throw Red Steel 2 or NMH1 on there to even that list out.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Ultigonio posted:

I don't think I'd recommend the first NMH too much. Knowing what I know of Red Steel, is the sequel actually that decent?

Yeah, it has nothing at all to do with the first and the controls are exponentially better. Also I second Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and MadWorld.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

None of this really matters as with the last thread everyone is going to just post "Hey, just picked up a WiiU and never had a Wii/missed the last console generation, what are some good Wii games?" every 3 and a half pages anyway. Thus is the fate of decently done thread starters.

Saoshyant posted:

List no more than ten games, those everyone deem universally good, then say something "Looking for more, check this list" and link to something like this or similar.

The best idea.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Mercury Crusader posted:

Just list all the currently expensive Wii games like Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn and Metroid Prime Trilogy followed by a link to this song while they make their purchases.

You got close but wrong wrestler theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_JTzEppKy8

Mercury Crusader posted:

This is pretty much every console, though, including the SNES and before.

Shhhhh. Don't crush his narrative. Even though despite the fact that the large majority of people who would be talking to you on an internet messaging board about video games had multiple consoles last generation so there wasn't really a "oh they only had access to this so they thought it was the best thing ever."

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 20, 2014

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

axleblaze posted:

Games stuff

The only grinding I remember in NMH was self imposed by myself because I wanted to get the highest level beam katana thing. Other than that you had the assassin missions and goofy chores as dumb fun little diversions but I wouldn't necessarily call them 'grinding' since you only really have to do one or two between each boss fight. That being said yes I would of loved the game as much if it were just straight boss fights continuously.

Also Tatsunoko vs Capcom is better than Marvel 3 due to not having Xfactor. There I said it. :colbert:

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Mercury Crusader posted:

The whole thing is subjective anyway. For instance, if I were to have made a must-have list for the PS3, I wouldn't be listing games that others would swear by such as the Uncharted series or The Last of Us or whatever, but I would be listing stuff like the Yakuza games, most of Platinum's games, and Tokyo Jungle The Best Game On The PS3 (also this happens on pro-tier PS3 import Super Robot Wars Z3). Meanwhile, I could list Wii games all day that I thought were fun even if I don't think they're the Greatest Games Ever or fall under some niche genre that most people don't like. Also, Metacritic is poo poo so ignore that.

Well sure but I think we can all agree that Super Chunk from Yakuza 4 was the best thing ever.

Kaubocks posted:

Better idea: ban the unfun scrubs.

But then you'd have to go for being poo poo at Wonderful 101 and not liking it, scrub. :colbert:

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 20, 2014

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Ultigonio posted:

Racking my brain for how to approach the list of 10-15. For a list of 10-15 key games on the Wii, I'd rather stick to games that can't be found elsewhere, or are superior in some way on the system. As a jumping-off point, I'll use Metacritic, although I am aware that it is dumb. I'll also be taking out games that rely too heavily on their online play to be enjoyable, as you straight-up cannot play online Wii games anymore without a lot of extraneous stuff.
(Also, if someone REALLY wants more NSMB, NSMBW really does not need a recommendation, seriously.)

• Super Mario Galaxy
  • (Super Mario Galaxy 2)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy
  • (Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, some people swear by this version)
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
  • Little King's Story
  • Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
  • LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias
  • Kirby's Epic Yarn
  • Boom Blox (Bash Party)
  • Fluidity
  • Punch-Out!!
  • Tatsunoko vs. Capcom

And we'll work from here, until we can at least sort of agree on the list. The benefit of starting this way is that the list isn't absolutely flooded with platformers, as it would be if I used my own opinions as a jumping-off point.

Put (2) next to Super Mario Galaxy. Then take out Fluidity and Lost Winds as who knows how long the Wii shop will be up for and for those 3 spots throw in Last Story, Brawl and No More Heroes 2 and lets call it a day and never speak of this OP again.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

JakeP posted:

Give toad a gun

A box.

Cigarettes is also an acceptable answer.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

UNGH! I've never wanted something I didn't know I wanted so much. I wanna hear his "Snake? Snake!? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!?!" now.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

You're kidding, right? All the investor questions were about video games except for one really angry guy:

Meanwhile these were the kind of questions asked from EVERYONE ELSE:

You forgot the guy who was like "Yo Iwata? Where da gifts at? We could use more gifts here."

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Suspicious Cook posted:

I'd be down for a Honky Tonk Pro Skater.

gently caress you. I read that up there and was hoping nobody made this joke yet. I would also be down for this.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Mercury Crusader posted:

I was able to grab a headset for the console at about $5 a while back, and it looks like you still can. It's the closest thing to an official headset I suppose, what with it being licensed (Seal of Approval and all) and being in similar blue and white packaging as all the other official accessories.

The speakers are fine, but I can't vouch for the microphone as I haven't really played with it online. I don't even know what games actually support voice chat.

I grabbed the same one. As far as I know only poo poo like Monster Hunter and Mario Kart 8 lobby (if everyone in is on your friends list) do it I think. Also there's like a whole thing of headphones made by different companies with that WiiU branded box. This is the cheapest and gently caress I couldn't argue with 5-6 dollar headphones.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Alacron posted:

So I've been considering shelling out for a pro controller (as soon as I can scrape together the cash for it) and I've been wondering, can I use it for PC games the way I use my old 360 controller? I actually play a ton of games on my laptop and I'm really jonesing for a good controller to replace my old busted one.

Yes, buy this...

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Wii-Pro-Controller-Adapter/dp/B00E6553PW

And it's as easy as plugging that in and playing.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

gently caress that's good DLC. Especially since I get a F-zero track and Blue Falcon.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Im maining rodin

gently caress you. I am the one who is going to main him.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Policenaut posted:

but generally the cutscenes revolved around Raiden loving people up and doing cool ninja stuff.

Or sneaking into Mexico in a sombrero and poncho. Also, cool ninja stuff.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Wait do you have to CURRENTLY be platinum to get the demo or have gotten it last year? Cause from end of June till September to get Platinum without a ton of releases is kinda suspect.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Good lord i'm gonna play a lot of this multiplayer.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

I watched that with a big dumb slack jaw look on my face.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Shlapintogan posted:

NA friends, the Bayonetta 2 demo is up.

RUNNING TO MY WIIU!

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Pomp posted:

Buy Bayonetta or go to hell

Don't you already have this game Pomp?

No, I have Bayonetta 1 and Vanquish and Wonderful 101, IDIOT!

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wish I could have been at the Bayonetta scenario pitch meetings.

"Ok so, Bayonetta throws a truck at a giant baby face with with dragons for arms and then jumps on a motorcycle in midair and ignites it with her middle finger. Then her hair turns into a giant dog."

Could use some more draculas.

gently caress why do I have to wait till Friday for this game. My old man was right, being a grown up sucks.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Looper posted:

Courage, Power, Wisdom....what are ya gonna wish for??

Wonderful 102.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Nobody is going to buy the samus one anyways because her amiibo pose looks dumb.

I'm still gonna get her, limp pose and all. :unsmith:

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Terper posted:

Man, can't wait for tommorow's SMTxFE gameplay!!

gently caress you. I'm antsy for this game I clearly want because I love both even without knowing anything about it.

The Taint Reaper posted:

By Samus do they mean Regular or Zero Suit?

I'm gonna assume regular Samus as I don't think they've shown off a real Zero-Suit one yet.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

Netflix and Youtube work goddamn great on the Wii U, not sure why they get a bad rap.

Netflix is ok but Youtube is waaay better through the WiiU Internet Browser because it's just regular youtube then and it's the best loving internet browser for a device that's not a computer. Especially good for watching twitch streams or like Salty Bet where you can have the fight up on the tv and the betting poo poo down on the pad.

Basically WiiU Internet Browser is the hero we all deserve. Not sure how cute it is though.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Mercury Crusader posted:

Panzer Dragoon, Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter, Nights into Dreams, Virtual-On, Shinobi Legions, Virtua Cop, Fighters Megamix, Die Hard Arcade, Dragon Force, lotta good games on the Saturn

I think you just named ALL the games on the Saturn.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Fly with me posted:

All of you forgot the only reason to own the Saturn Multi-tap: Guardian Heroes.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Saturn Bomberman also.

gently caress, I am shamed.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

If we're just talking main Mario 3D platformers, sure. But including spinoffs:

60:
- Mario Galaxy 1/2
- Mario Kart Double Dash
- Mario Kart Wii
- Paper Mario TTYD
- Super Paper Mario
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii

30:
- Mario Sunshine
- Luigi's Mansion

Couldn't check Mario Golf/Tennis but from what I remember at least Tennis is 60 too.

And yeah, most NES and SNES stuff runs at 60, though will suffer slowdown with lots of sprites on screen.

The thing that always blew my mind was that F-zero X on the N64 and GX on the Gamecube both ran at 60 even with all those other racers on the screen.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

I just beat it now and wow that was- wait the credits sequence just got interrupted oh poo poo hold on.

YOU STILL GOT PLATINUMS TO EARN, SON! CREDITS AIN'T NO RESTING TIME!

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

Hey all, if I throw my gamepad in my checked luggage but surround it with plenty of towels it should survive the trip, right? I've somehow got to find a way to take my ps3, ps4, and Wii U with me on an international flight since i'm moving and desperately need all the space on my carryon.

Bring it and the gamepad in your carry-on and then plug that poo poo in midflight for some game playin'. I know you said you need carry-on space but do it anyway.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

You have to play through Bayonetta 1 before Bayonetta 2 just because B2 plays better while having a worse end boss. So you need to play B1 to play the glorious ending, but you won't be constantly distracted by how it doesn't play as nice as the sequel. Then you play W101 because you can get a breather in between the two. Then enjoy B2.

Plus there are little nods to W101 in Bayo 2. So yeah, that's the correct order.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

majormonotone posted:

how many times do you think kamiya has jerked it to bayonetta

About 1/64th as many times as he's jerked it to Jeanne.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Ularg posted:

My first major accomplishment in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. I cut off his tail and skinned it right in front of him.

Take that you stupid lizard.

MH3U is a good game for cool guys. Nothing, and I mean nothing, beats running up and golf swing smacking a giant 20 foot lizard in the face with your hammer made out of a giant monster foot and watching him do a flip.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

Bayonetta is a great game.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

DrPaper posted:

Maybe to blatant negative examples of DLC like in franchises such as Call of Duty, but tons of games release DLC content on par with the "substantial" additions Nintendo has added such as retro courses and new character models for Mario Golf and Kart.

Then you have really unsubstantial grindy poo poo like in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, or buying all of your favorite Fire Emblem characters with clashing art styles and reusing models.

Hyrule Warriors DLC is pretty much on par with Tecmo-Koei's other DLC ventures in Musou games, only there's alot less of it.

There's nothing that really sets Nintendo's early ventures into DLC above or below most games. The only difference is you really like Nintendo, and therefore see more value in being able to play as Toadette in Mario Golf and Dry Bowser in Mario Kart.

You're dumb dude. Dumb as heck.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

sharrrk posted:

bayonetta 2 can't be the best game on wii u because bayonetta 1 is on wii u

Pfft, Wonderful 101 has Bayonetta AND Dante AND Kamiya AND Viewtiful Joe. It's pretty much the perfect game and i'm embarrassed at all of you for not mentioning it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Kewpuh posted:

the best game on the wii u is zombi u if you disagree get hosed

It isn't the best game on it but gently caress if "semi roguelike survival horror" wasn't one of the reasons I picked up a WiiU at launch.

• Locked thread