Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Puzzle pieces don't matter though. You could beat the entire game 101% and never pick up a single puzzle piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Ultigonio posted:

I hope you are not seriously telling me that neither gold medals nor puzzle pieces count for full "100%" completion of the game. Not because I think you are wrong, but because, if true, that would be very very very dumb.

fake edit: To clarify, I know I don't need puzzle pieces to unlock levels, ever. My main point of contention would be them not contributing to the actual completion percent for the game.

Nope. Puzzle pieces only unlock concept art (and a diorama if you collect enough of them in each world) and gold medals are purely for bragging rights. Only thing that matters for completion percentage is getting KONG and beating all the levels (and hard mode, which lets you go all the way up to 201% :getin:).

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Ultigonio posted:

Which level? And you're aware that you can jump out of a roll in mid-air, yeah?

It's in World 5 (I want to say 5-4), I know exactly what level he's talking about because it is possibly my absolute least favorite level in the entire goddamn game because of that G. It might be possible if you time a roll jump absolutely perfectly from the left, go under and get the G, then jump up and make it to solid ground, but I'm like 95% certain you need Dixie to do it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Personally, I think we should just leave the universal suggestions (ie stuff like Galaxy 1/2, Prime Trilogy, Xenoblade, etc) and if anyone has a more specific request they can always ask. Otherwise you're going to end up listing literally every single Wii game and at that point, why even bother? Just put a link to Wikipedia or something.

Artix fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 20, 2014

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Wonderful 101 actually bombed (surprising absolutely no one) so it's only 30bux instead of 60. Try the demo first, because it's not for everyone, but it's really good and totally worth it.

E: Also yes, Shovel Knight owns and everyone should buy it.

Artix fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 22, 2014

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's honestly Platinum Weakest outside of Anarchy Reigns and Mad World. W101 can be beaten in a single sitting on the easiest difficulty it's not that long a game. Yeah it has a ton of style and the voice acting is top notch, but you have more quick time events than Tomb Raider or Call of Duty.

Uh, what? If anything, W101 is too long, some of the later stages could really have stood to be about half as long as they actually are. It would be a perfect 10-15 hour experience, but it goes on for 20+ on any difficulties above the absolute easiest.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Yeah, the bosses on the whole are really bad, which is kind of a shame because I'm pretty sure Tropical Freeze is the first game where Retro didn't give a boss a shockwave attack for no goddamn reason.

Wildtortilla posted:

I can't think of a more annoying final boss than the final boss of DKCTF. This is not a fun fight. Landing jumps on him is inconsistent at best. It seems to e a 50/50 chance in dealing damage or taking damage. And all the bullshit you have to sit through before getting another three opportunities to hurt him is loving obnoxious. I don't even feel like wasting the time to finish this game now. I had fun from the start to this point. :(

If it's worth anything, all you're missing after the final boss is World 7, which only has three levels and has to be unlocked by clearing all the K levels. Once you clear those three levels, you unlock Hard Mode, which lets you play the game with only one kong per level (you choose), one heart, and no checkpoints. You're honestly not missing much, and I wouldn't blame you for stopping there.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Puzzle pieces just unlock concept art and dioramas if you get enough of them per world. You need to get KONG in every level of each world to unlock the K levels, then clear all of the K levels to unlock the final world.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I think the only thing we've heard is "comparable to Skylanders", which is like ~$10 a pop if I remember right?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Fremry posted:

It only took me 280 because I had to buy a joy pendant first. I didn't want to get there and have to buy a couple things and then be out of rupees and have to go out collecting rupees again.

I suppose it doesn't help you now, but you can totally cancel out of the auction and walk out and back in to get something new if he's not being cooperative with a certain prize.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Rirse posted:

Probably better for the eShop thread, but how are the GBA VC releases? I am thinking of grabbing Advance Wars.

Fantastic. On the gamepad screen they scale perfectly and on the TV I think it gives you an option whether or not it uses bilinear filtering.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
There was a Mario Golf on 3DS released in May, and a Tennis game released a year or two ago. It's certainly possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath over it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Demo will be out for everyone next Friday, 9/19. Might be the same as the Japan demo, which only has 30 uses, as opposed to the Club Nintendo demo that has unlimited uses.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Boomerang goes up/down depending on how Mega Man is moving. If you're jumping up, it'll arc up, if you're falling/sliding down the wall it'll go down.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Tropical Freeze is 11 gigs, Hyrule Warriors is like 7 or 8, and I don't know what Bayo 1 is but I saw Bayo 2 is like 17 gigs so yeah, you should probably get on that. If your drive has an external power source, you don't need the Y-cable though, just plug it in to the outlet and it should be good to go.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Haven't gotten my DLC code yet either, though mine just shipped yesterday so I don't know if it's tied to that.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Maybe it's because I only have a basic unit but my stuff always downloads to the external drive, even if it would fit on the internal memory. :iiam:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Skyward Sword is a great game that suffers from a bit of bloat and very, very hit or miss controls. If they work for you, the game is an absolute joy, and if they don't you will despise every minute of it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Ultigonio posted:

Wait, what are you guys talking about with item upgrades costing money in LBW? I'm pretty sure the sword upgrade requires master ore and the item upgrades require maiamais?

You can't upgrade items unless you actually own them, which is something like 800 rupees a pop for the cheapest item.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Bayo 2 should be up right now for NA.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Astro7x posted:

But isn't Q2 July, August and September? That mean they are not even factoring the first month of Mario Kart 8 sales in there.

Now just waiting for someone to ruin the good news by saying they were profitable by selling property of something like that.

Yeah, I don't know how they managed to get a profit out of what they released in Q2. That's what, Tomodachi Life, Hyrule Warriors, Layton vs. Wright (US), and uh...I guess continuing sales of Mario Kart?

E:

JordanKai posted:

Didn't Smash Bros come out in September in Japan?

Yeah it did, that's the big one. Still, that's one blockbuster, a crossover between two niche series, a Musou spinoff, and a Sims-lite that somehow found a million sales. If that's enough to put them in the black, Smash Bros (both the Wii U version and the rest of the world for 3DS) and Pokemon are going to make it a hell of a Q3.

Artix fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 29, 2014

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
That sounds depressingly plausible even if it would be totally unnecessary. Wouldn't bother me too much since I'm going to get a New XL anyway, but a lot of people would be rightfully annoyed by that.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Mr E posted:

And got rid of the cool weapon effects on your gun arm.

They were removed in Prime 1 because by Retro's own admission the effects were half-assed (they were applied to a part of the screen itself rather than the gun), which was fixed for Prime 2 and accordingly the effects are still in Prime 2 Trilogy.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

elf help book posted:

This is a perfect opportunity to complain. If it unlocks good stuff, it's bad. If it unlocks bad stuff, it's bad. If it unlocks nothing, it's bad!

This is a great time to be a person who likes to complain.

Yeah, this is pretty much hitting the nail on the head. If the Amiibos unlock good poo poo, then Nintendo is gating DLC behind their toy lines and it's poo poo. If it unlocks dumb stuff (or worse, nothing at all) then why even bother with the amiibo at all? If Nintendo doesn't give a gently caress, why should I?

They're damned if they do, damned if they don't, and I appreciate that they're making it semi-worthwhile for those of us who are interested in them.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Oh poo poo, that's back in stock? Ordering one right now.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Electromax posted:

Metroid Prime was so amazingly good. Metroid Prime 4 in HD or a properly funded 2D adventure is all I want, especially if they hew to the MP1/Super end of the spectrum vs the MP3/Fusion end. I don't hate Kirby and Yoshi, but it isn't fair that we're getting more games of those 2 and none with Samus.

The reason is that Metroid sells very poorly to begin with and it's coming off of Other M which was a legit bomb. :ssh:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

FPzero posted:

I'm assuming it's referring to Link Cable stuff the original games did.

Yep. I sure hope you like taking that 16(?) page password and inputting it one symbol at a time into The Lost Age!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The 3DS version makes it harder by doing double damage and flipping the world horizontally, but Master Quest itself isn't really harder, just more obtuse. It throws bigger enemies at you earlier (I remember seeing Giant Deku Babas inside the Deku Tree), but for the most part Master Quest's idea of difficulty is to remove the switch you were supposed to hit and put a cow in the wall and you have to work out that you're supposed to hit the cow to open the door now.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Policenaut posted:

She's just waiting for Little Mac to work up the courage, obviously.

The P-meter was actually a Proposal Meter all along. :unsmith:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Next Nintendo Direct announced, Jan 14 at 9 AM EST. Covers the spring slate of Wii U/3DS games.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/554850332719972352

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
6 AM PST, dude. It's 9 AM Eastern.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Ultigonio posted:

Oh come now, guys, time zones aren't that hard.

Is that why the OP still says 9 PM PST? :v:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
According to PSN in the other thread, $200 for the New XL, $230 for the MH/MM bundles.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Kaubocks posted:

Wait I'm not sure I understand this downloadable Wii game stuff (because I'm at work and can't watch the Direct).

Let's assume (correctly) that the only controller I own is the gamepad. Can I play these Wii games just fine? Could I play them using the screen on the gamepad?

As far as I'm aware, no. Punch Out, maybe, but both Galaxy 2 and Prime Trilogy make heavy use of the Wiimote (and I don't know why you'd ever want to play the Prime games without pointer control).

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

ChaosArgate posted:

Yes, but the particle effects on Samus's arm cannon are different than on gamecube because Retro was lazy with how they implemented them I think.

Only in Prime 1. In 2 they were done properly.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
1300-odd MB, it's like 1.4 gigs.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Kaubocks posted:

The only other question I got is: can the game be played using the gamepad screen as the display for the game?

If not then sadly these and any future Wii games are just not for me, I'm afraid. Still it's mad cool that they're downloadable at all.

Yes, one of the options when booting up a Wii game is whether it sends the video to just the TV, or to both the TV and the gamepad.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Wasn't all the Ocarina "offensive" stuff changed in V1.1, which was made in Japan before 1.0 even released in NA/Europe to begin with? Whatever the reason was, it was probably an internal thing, not because some soccer mom flipped out.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I have the golf cart of OoT and it has all the offensive stuff in it.

You missed my point, the gold cart is 1.0, what I'm saying is that stuff was changed in 1.1, which was in production in Japan before the 1.0 gold carts released worldwide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Also between Nintendo and Free Radical, most of their good people left.

• Locked thread