Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Policenaut posted:

Fighting games having full-scale stories have been the norm for quite some time now. Pretty much every anime fighter, from your AquaPazzas and BlazBlues to your Dengeki Bunkos and now Guilty Gears have a huge VN-style story mode, NetherRealm has been pushing hard on cinematic story modes with Mortal Kombat 9 and Injustice, and Bandai Namco's been doing wonders experimenting with the formula with Soulcalibur, Tekken, and their other anime fighters du jour like JoJo ASB and Naruto. Games like Street Fighter that have story modes comprised of 6 or 7 fights bookended by anime cutscenes and an occasional Vs. Rival scene are quickly becoming archaic.

People actually pay attention to those????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

homeless snail posted:

The story mode in P4A is insanely good.

I don't even pay attention to the story in P4 proper so that sounds weird and wrong

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Hedrigall posted:

I'm with fruitpunch here, any story told through anime is a story not worth telling

Actually anime is really good but jrpgs are dumb.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Charles Martel posted:

Did you forget where we are?

Should know better to expect anything other than negativity on Something Awful :smug::smug::smug:

Don't do this. It isn't 2003.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
"Dr. Gay Hitler, son of George Washington Hitler, was a local dentist, serving our community from 1922 through 1946"

I secretly hope I can track ancestry to the Gay Hitlers every day

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

I NEED A NEW METROID gently caress

Since Retro is done with Donkey Kong and Metroid's 30th anniversary is coming up in 2016 I think we might get something soon?? You can only hope!! (Also it would be six years between other M and a new one, which is kind of nuts for nintendo sequels-making)

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Hedrigall posted:

Didn't somebody from Nintendo say around E3 time that Metroid games for both 3DS and Wii U were in development?

I didn't hear that, but at least the 3DS one I think is confirmed cancelled, the team working on it doing the Luigi's Mansion game instead. I'm not super beat up about it because Luigi's Mansion 2 wasn't all that great and the concept art they released of it was kind of ugly.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Not really, there was an eight-year gap between Super Metroid and Metroid Prime/Fusion that everyone conveniently forgets about.

I guess I should preface with "modern Nintendo sequels-making" then. I remembered this. :argh:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Corruption was fine and Hunters had a poo poo single player, but its multiplayer was surprisingly good if buggy (To the extent where it actually had a pretty elaborate metagame behind it.)

Other M is, like, the one genuinely bad game in the Metroid series. The only one. That isn't petering out, that's falling off a cliff.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Echophonic posted:

Just have Platinum make a Metroid game with Zero Suit Samus, problem solved.

As cool as Platinum are, this is like the last thing I want for Metroid. I don't want an action game for Metroid, and I think Zero Suit Samus is probably the worst thing to happen to the series because it was the thing that spurred them onto giving Samus more "character", which imo actually removed what little she had.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Light Gun Man posted:

If they want to give Samus a "character" then let us play those GBA ending pictures where she's in her shorts at the space bar post-mission lookin' to pick up space dudes who she will totally bang and then leave in the morning without a word.

Or you know, just give us space and a list of bounties to hunt down.

Imagine a more-aggressive Payday-style game where Samus infiltrates the bases of space ganglords and poo poo and kills the gently caress out of everyone inside

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Sire Oblivion posted:

I don't know how Zero Suit Samus ruined her since in every game you're rewarded by her stripping down, it wasn't until Other M when

I don't think I have to explain the difference between "two seconds at the end of a game and changes every time" and "you play an entire forced stealth segment of Zero Mission".

Besides I'm not talking about how ~scandalously sexy~ ZSS is, but more that since now she has a codified design under the armor, it was inevitable that it was going to show up more often. Samus should basically just be the Power Suit to prevent that.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

She is, the Power Suit is just a magical anime construct that reflects her inner emotions.

gently caress yooooouuuu

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

CHUMPVILLE posted:

I'm super confused by what Amiibos actually DO. Can someone explain to me what I can do with, say, a Villager and a WiiFit Trainer Amiibo, if I have SSB and MK8 and Hyrule Warriors?

The basic idea is that they're figures that also count as more abstract DLC for a variety of games, mostly ones that the characters are relevant in.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Metroid Prime is pretty close to being a perfect video game really

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
The Classic Pro controller is a different controller than the Wii U Pro Controller. It's a classic controller, so it's for the virtual console and whatnot (that also works with some normal games.)

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

raditts posted:

That's what they get for not making a sequel to God Hand :colbert:

They didn't ever get a chance, God Hand was the last game they made!!

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
I don't know, I personally think trying to fix problems in games rather than keep them in is a pretty good idea

The "major prevailing complaint" kind of tends to be justified usually, with the exception of Twilight Princess's art style being the exact inverse of Wind Waker's and being kind of ugly for it.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Policenaut posted:

Nintendo is planning new Wii U and 3DS Metroid games but they're in no state to actually show anything from them, so they must be even less along than Starfox.

I've said it a couple times but I'm like 80% sure these are for 2016, Metroid's 30th anniversary. They wouldn't do nothing for Metroid's 30th, would they? :(

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Lemming posted:

The Smash leak was real.

One out of like a thousand "leaks" was real and it was the one backed up with tons of screenshots and even some video.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Fremry posted:

Wait, is Bloodeborne a Dark Souls game? Because that poo poo is the fuckin worst. I've been playing videogames since I was 3 in 1987, and the dark souls/demon souls set of games is one of the worst loving series of games. I put them on the same level of COD. They are bland as poo poo visually, they are bland as poo poo in their plot, they are derivative as that poo poo comes, but they make it difficult and people blow their loads for it.

Dark Souls fans have as bad taste as COD fans, it's just in the polar opposite direction. They pretend it's different, but they all grind retardedly shallow stats of brown lovely games.

I like, skeletons, and getting owned by skeletons

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

sharrrk posted:

i've been thinking about this, and more video games need skeletons that aren't enemies. whether its friendly npcs or playable characters or w/e, it would be nice to see skeletons treated with more respect, i think

I agree entirely, skeletons are cool as hell and don't have to be bad guys, i can get owned by them in lots of ways that aren't getting punched a bunch, like having... a moving story that i can relate to...!!

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

ChaosArgate posted:

NO gently caress OFF I DON'T WANT TINGLE.

Young Link + Fierce Deity Mask is rad as hell though.

gently caress you get out

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Davinci posted:

I don't know who this guy is but he's a cool dude

He's The Tekken Guy.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Help Im Alive posted:

What are the chances of Splatoon not selling extremely poorly even if it's good as hell

Splatoon has been well-received and hyped up pretty much every single time anything in it has been shown off, so I think it'll sell pretty-well honestly!! Not as well as something established but better than most things.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Level Slide posted:

Eight pairs of shoes

I love this video game so much and it isn't even out yet

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

mario is kind of like dark souls 2 aka the best game of all time

Mario does have a pretty good quantity of skeletons in it so basically yeah

Edit: Dry Bowser is exactly my poo poo

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Hunters was bad if you could only play it in single player.

But if you were fortunate enough to play the multiplayer it was pretty fuckin' fun, actually.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Also the game gives you two tools to mitigate spikes in the form of the phase amulet and moving gear, so even if there were tons and tons of them (which really there isn't, there's a respectful smattering of 'em,) there are ways to make them not at all a threat anyway.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Other M doesn't have anything.

It doesn't even have Ridley. Buff Ridley is a travesty of design and real bad even if his boss fight is mechanically one of the few good things in the game.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

John Romero posted:

whats the best way to buy one of these things

They're out of stock right now, but a refurbished Wii U is always your best bet. It makes it cheaper than a 3DS and gets you a game on top of it.

Don't worry about "refurbished", Nintendo's refurbished standards are basically good-as-new.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Awesome! posted:

actually when the 3d world bundle goes on sale for ~250 they're slightly better assuming you want 3d world (and who doesnt)

This is also a really great choice. The Wii U is not a very expensive console and there are ways to get it relatively cheap!

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
The Pro Controller might be my new favorite controller. It's great.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Rudoku posted:

That's because last gen lasted too loving long. I blame Bush.

The Wii and the Wii U were only 6 years apart, compared to the PS3/PS4's 7 and the 360/Xbone's 8. 5 or 6 years is perfectly on track for Nintendo.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

bobby2times posted:

So, whats the turn around for Nintendo to replace a refurbished Wii U thats getting disc read errors 1 day in?

Pretty good, because the refurbished Wii Us have a year-long warranty. Contact them about it.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
I'm not really sure why I would've rathered SMTxFE be a lovely crossover of the two series than whatever it ended up being but I would have.

It's a weird thought.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh yeah definitely, its just funny how many people are overreacting from a 90 second trailer

My first impression is bad and what they said afterwards only reinforces it. They have plenty of time to make up for and endear me to it but that is the status of my current impression of the game and I think that's perfectly reasonable tbh

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Splatoon looks pretty rad tbh

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

mabels big day posted:

Ok the taint reaper.

Woah fuckin' rude don't drop these kinda burns so casually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
A Waluigi game would be extremely hard and almost unplayable if you tried to play it legit and the real meat of the game is figuring out how you can cheat to win

• Locked thread