Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
Look at this awesome new thread with all these cute gamers posting in it! :3: Thanks to everybody who pointed out great games in the old thread, I got a lot of really cool stuff from the eShop I might not have gotten otherwise (I can't believe the thought of not getting Shovel Knight ever crossed my mind).

Sitting Bull posted:

Bought a Wii U last week, own MK8, NSMBU, and Pikmin 3. I want to buy another game today, gimmie suggestions. Of the games I have, Pikmin is my favorite. I'm not so into 2d/3d scrollers, so DKC TF is out, and I'm not into the 3D Mario either. Mass Effect 3? Monster Hunter? WWHD? Wonderful 101?

The recommended list in the OP is good! Also, I think people have already pointed out that Super Mario 3D World is really good in a very broadly appealing way. Even though Tropical Freeze is excellent if you're somehow allergic to platformers I might not recommend it because it's typically more demanding, but I'd recommend 3D World to everybody even if you're only able to beat the first half (the latter worlds get challenging - Champion's Road may be one of hardest platforming levels in any game that doesn't expect the player to use save states).

Wind Waker HD is definitely worth picking up. Wind Waker was already a surprisingly good game and I'm impressed Nintendo made legitimately good changes to improve the HD remake. You'll definitely want to pick up the Swift Sail as soon as you can though, and it's still a big game so it's not something you're going to beat in an afternoon.

I'd rank Wonderful 101 as one of the best games on the Wii U - if you can deal with getting used to the gameplay. Have you ever played a Platinum game before? Basically the game is "Here's a surprisingly deep combat system and a wide variety of enemies with ridiculously over-the-top boss fights. Have fun figuring it all out! Don't forget to buy your block and dodge moves because you're screwed without them but we're certainly not going to tell you that!" Regardless, the game is like $20 and it's so good I think it's still worth getting to see if you can handle it.

Monster Hunter as a series has always been to grindy for me, but I've heard nothing but good things about it from people who like the series.

Ultigonio posted:

Well, I'm going to be a big dummy and basically contradict a whole bunch of people, I guess - I liked De Blob 2 quite a bit, and I preferred it over the first. For me, DB2 had a more interesting soundtrack, more interesting ideas, and more interesting level design. Another thing it stood out as was daring to be a remotely decent 3D platformer, which not a lot of developers have the balls for, anymore (though it did do what every other 3D platformer at the time did, and go 2D/3D hybrid). I also, somehow, didn't find the shake-to-jump as excruciating as other people here mention. It's not like DKCR was for me, where I'd do time trials and be shaking my arm almost non-stop for 20-40 minutes at a time.

I'll back Ultigonio up here. Remember that you don't need to move the Wii-mote much, if you're hurting your wrist you're probably over-doing it. Both the first and the second games are nice platformers with great music and I thought the painting mechanic made for fun gameplay. The instruments in the music change based on what colors you paint! They're good relaxing-fun kind of games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Natron posted:

Can we stop pretending that any games are "mature"? Just because a game has violence and blood and your character is a big macho dude with issues doesn't make something mature. It's basically the equivalent of playing GI Joes on your driveway, it's just far more sophisticated and expensive.

Edit: Sorry, I'm quite late to the party here, but I was referencing Ubisoft's decision to not publish any more "mature" games on WiiU.

Fremry posted:

I believe he was using the term "Mature" in the way that the ESRB uses it. He means "mature content", not "sophisticated".

Ironically, ZombiU is one of the most legitimately mature titles Ubisoft's made in years. I wonder if the executive team was upset it was a horror roguelike and not "First Person Shooter with Zombies #37" like the whole swath of IGN/Gamespot/PROFESSIONAL GAMING JOURNALISM was. Or maybe Ubisoft Montpellier is where Ubisoft keeps all their cool employees. Whatever the case may be, don't let a CEO being a dumbass make you miss out - ZombiU is a great game.

Also, King of Zombies is an awesome mode and a great way to use the gamepad. You basically get to be the AI Director from Left for Dead. I hope more games do stuff like that - it would be great to do a Zelda dungeon that way. Definitely looking forward to playing as Bowser in Mario Party 10 too.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Because there are so many good games for the Wii, it seems like it's going to be difficult to keep the list compact. I definitely like the look of the list so far, but I do agree with some of the suggestions other people have been making (didn't realize the Wii had so many good games until I really started looking back). However, we don't want the list to be needlessly excessive either.

What would people think of editing the covers for sequels together, like one cover and then diagonal slicing to the other cover? I think it's a far bet if people are interested in Mario Galaxy they'd also want to check out Galaxy 2, and the same for De Blob and Pikmin. I think the Metroid Prime Trilogy could just count for Metroid Prime 3, though.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Ultigonio posted:

Did not see this before. This sounds like a good idea, so I think I will do it. I may list 15 for good measure.

Glad you saw that Ultigonio, because I was going to say that's a great idea too.

13/f/cali posted:

Finally threw down the money for a Wii U today. I decided to get a refurbished model from Nintendo's online store. I ordered about 6 hours ago and the status page currently is listed as "order processing." Normally I wouldn't think anything of that but I specifically paid the extra to get overnight shipping and am wondering if that's normal. Has anyone else had experience with overnight ordering from Nintendo?

I did not order my Wii U overnight, but I did order a laptop with expedited shipping so I can say that's what I would expect. What time today did you order it? If I understand correctly overnight shipping is a service Nintendo pays the shipper for in order for them to try and ship it within one business day, it doesn't include things like time to process the order.

If you really want you could contact Nintendo to follow-up with it, but remember good things come to those who wait - you'll appreciate both your Wii U and life in general more if you're patient.

quote:

Bayonetta 2's nice water

Glad they picked such unique settings to replicate so accurately. Having never been to Europe it's really neat to see this kind of stuff.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

Just bought a wii-u deluxe pack with super mario U, and a 'pro' controller, and mario kart 8. Everything is just charging, can't wait!

You have good taste and I hope you enjoy your games! If you like NSMBU and want more, check out Luigi U because it's the same style of gameplay but a lot faster-paced. And Super Mario 3D world is an awesome platformer too.

Are goons still doing MK8 games? I was really trying to get the hang of inside drifting before really going online. Got really used to carts with light/medium characters but it seems like the inside drifting bikes would really help for heavy characters.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

I hope it gets the online community it deserves. I'm excited to hear more,frankly. Its a fresh look at multiplayer FPS and just looks incredibly fun.

It is great that we can still see some new creative gameplay in major releases. The DS and Wii are/were good for that as well - the OP discussion bringing up the Trauma Center series makes me want to pick up Trauma Team again. Of course all of Nintendo's first party series are always high quality, but I hope we'll see more unique gameplay spinoffs like Captain Toad or new IPs that actually have new gamplay like Splatoon.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Akuma posted:

I just want to play some sweet Nintendo games :(

Did you see this post?

Fremry posted:

It's like everyone in customer service bends over backwards to help you, while the warehouse/refurb people stonewall customer service and ultimately the customer. I never got an answer why it stayed in "picking" status for 2 weeks from the warehouse, but customer service did end up giving me $20 eShop credit because they hosed up so badly.

I think your best bet is still trying to follow-up with getting it repaired. Personally I've never had any issues and thus no reason to contact Nintendo's Customer Support, but typically the stories I hear say they do their best to help. Who knows what happened but it can't hurt to try and push for it getting fixed.

zfleeman posted:

We were talking about Pikmin 3 towards the end of the old thread. Just thought I'd pop in and let you all know I started a Pikmin 3 LP this morning. We're going in pretty blind, and we'll be playing through the entire story over the next few months. If you're on the fence about that game, go ahead and give it a watch.

Besides some of the ground textures, that game is just... pretty.

I continue to be impressed with how nice games can look on the Wii U, even though it doesn't have a powerhouse GPU or anything. I'll check this out because I'm interested in hearing what your impression is. Really glad I got this for free during the MK8 bundle, I think it was one of the top choice for North America.

Edit: Shootymans talk - but think of all the people who won't buy a Wii U because they were just waiting for another CoD to come out on it!

CatsPajamas fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 21, 2014

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

codenameFANGIO posted:

:lol:

Seriously Super Mario Galaxy is the best and I can't wait to do this poo poo all over again as Luigi, the superior Mario Bro.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Eventual HD Remake :colbert:

HD Remake for Mario Sunshine, sequel for Mario Galaxy. :colbert:

Actually, thinking of multiple characters for Mario Galaxy, it's been in the vein of Mario games focused on single player. If there was a Mario Galaxy U, would people want to see it continue that tradition or have more multiplayer?

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Morby posted:

There was a handy spot, so thanks! As it turns out, I needed to install the update anyway, so I have plenty of time to let it charge for a while.

I got the Super Mario/Luigi U bundle, MK8, Super Mario 3D World, and $20 in Nintendobux since at least on Wii, they didn't take American Express. Incidentally, has that changed, btw?

I was thinking of going on ahead and using my Nintendobux for Earthbound. I already have it on SNES, but the thought of playing it in bed is super intriguing. Is there anything else that's a must try? I assume stuff like Wonderful 101 and Pikmin are still full price in the Nintendo store.

There has never and will never be a reason not to get Earthbound. People have suggested NES Remix and I'd agree both it and Remix 2 are great, but Remix 2 is definitely the better game. I still think they're both worth getting, but you should probably get Remix first because it would be hard to go backwards. Also the ones in the OP are recommended, plus Shovel Knight and Guacamelee are awesome.

I've had some of the most fun playing W101 out of any action game I've played of that style. I agree with people saying it's one of Platinum's most content filled games, and the stages can be long but I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. However, just like with any Platinum game it is difficult to get into - you have to buy your block and dodge and they are absolutely essentially. Since it has dropped in price I think it's definitely worth getting because it's such a good game. It might help to watch the first couple episodes of Chip and Ironicus' LP though, because that explains the mechanics better than the game does.

Pikmin 3 is an excellent game at any price. Unlike W101 and ZombiU though I think you're right that Pikmin hasn't gone down in price at all. Speaking of ZombiU:

Kewpuh posted:

If you recently bought Wii U though I would highly recommend Zombi U because it is uh how do you say the poo poo that killed elvis

Kewpuh is smart and people should listen to him! Mercury Crusader also did a good job pointing out why this game is good and not just "game where you shoot a million zombies again." It's kind of a roguelike shooter though, so you should expect to die your first time playing - and then kill your zombie corpse your second time. Also King of Zombies is an awesome multiplayer mode and I wish more games would do something similar. Like W101 this has dropped down to ~$20-$30 so it's definitely worth getting.

Edit:

Kaubocks posted:

I keep saying there would be a lot less hatred in the world if everyone would just play Kid Icarus: Uprising.

A lot less hatred and a lot more broken wrists. (Seriously though, if you haven't played KI:U the controls aren't as bad as everyone says and it's legitimately one of the best things to exist so far this millennium)

CatsPajamas fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 22, 2014

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Ultigonio posted:

Actually, if I'm not mistaken (and you're talking about the one at the end of each level), doesn't it automatically give you a star if you run into the box at full speed?

I believe Ultigonio is correct, though if I recall correctly you have to hit the end box at the right angle/height of the jump (basically keeping the horizontal running momentum through the jump) - try aiming for the lower-left corner.

I wonder if Mario Maker will be versatile enough that we end up with SMB3-esque stages. Has Nintendo giving more information about it since E3, or mentioned how level-sharing is going to work? I'd totally make my own entire Mario game just to hear everyone laugh at how terrible it is.

Edit:

Ultigonio posted:

I'd just appreciate if there weren't two Wii U threads filled with shitposting.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Morby posted:

Maybe I'm weird, but I've always really enjoyed worlds 3 and 4 of SMB3 and I liked the frog suit a lot!

Also, Mario Kart 8 alone has justified my WiiU purchase. I have had a blast so far trying to get 3-star finishes on the different circuits. When you play single player, do you have to use another controller besides the tablet in order to see the map? I played MK8 at a friend's place, and the tablet was really only used for that. I assume it's because we were doing multiplayer, but even by myself it would be awesome to see a map.

I remember trying to beat the last stage of Dark World in the Frog Suit to get the special letter. Never did it. :( You want to make SMB3 hard? Use the Frog suit in non-water levels.

MK8 justifies everything. Good luck 3-starring 150cc, just remember you only need 1 star on everything for unlocks (and staring a higher level difficulty counts for the lower levels too).

Regarding the map, right now I believe the only way to see it is on the Gamepad. However, there's an update coming out soon with the Mercedes DLC that will add the map to the TV screen along with other various new features I believe.

Now we just need to get classic battle mode back.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Morby posted:

How is the Wii U Pro pad? It looks almost like a 360 controller. Is it just as useable/comfortable?

What he said. I wasn't going to buy any other controllers once I got my refurbished Wii Plus Remotes for like $20, but everyone keep talking about how great they were so I bought one when they were on sale at Best Buy and yeah it's pretty drat great. People weren't kidding about the great battery life either, again I bought it back during a sale and I don't think I've had to charge it since then. Can't wait to use it for Smash 4!

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Italax posted:

Do we have any idea when Shovel Knight is coming to EU? I really want to play it.

PaletteSwappedNinja already mentioned the "mid-late September" date, just wanted to mention you are a smart person for wanting to play this game. Shovel Knight does a great job of having solid gameplay with multiple ways to beat challenges. I really want to try a challenge run without using any relics or anything.

13/f/cali posted:

You were right about this. NSMBU is easily the best of the NSMB series. I can see why it may have rung hollow with some but I love it so far The level design feels genuinely interesting in a lot of spots and that's something I felt much of the NSMB games have been lacking for. Nice to see they stepped up their game.

I picked up the first NES Remix because I played 2 on a friend's system before I got mine. The rainbow star times in 1 feel a lot stricter. Some of these require either really great execution or strategies I just have not yet thought of. I feel like 2 is better (especially because of the replay feature) but this is fun too.

Definitely agree with NSMBU being really high-quality, it's just a shame it didn't lead with its best. Check out New Super Luigi Bros U if you liked it, I think the faster pace makes it something people can get into quicker.

Also you're right about NES Remix. I still think the first one is good enough that people should get it, but the second is more polished and definitely a lot more lenient.

-----

Looking at our very nice OP, there are a number of games coming out "Summer 2014" I haven't heard much about. Does anyone know about Nihilumbra, Siesta Fiesta, Tengami, or Wooden Sensey?

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Actually, speaking of CoD didn't someone in the last thread say that Black Ops 2 with either the Gamepad or Wii Remote Plus was really good and people were still playing it? I meant to check that out after he mentioned it a handful of times but I got too caught up in a mix of W101 / MK8 / trying to beat Champion's Road. Can anyone else weigh in on that?

drat, that reminds me I keep meaning to get Rayman Legends whenever someone brings up how good that is as well. I got to write all this down somewhere.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

I had a bunch of people over last night to play Mario Kart and it was rad. However it became apparent to me that Nintendo bombed marketing the Wii U because smart people were under the assumption the Wii U was simply a gamepad add on for the Wii. It wasn't until I said, " the Wii U is like the PS4 and the Wii is like the PS3," that they understood it was an entirely new console. I never experienced such a thing first hand.

With that said, everyone had a blast.

Wait, really? I had always assumed that was just a joke, and I've never met anyone in person who actually thought that. Is awareness that much of an issue? I remember seeing a study that said the only positive correlation to sales of a game was advertising, and it's a drat shame if that's true for either games or systems.

I was under the impression the Wii appealed to a much broader audience, however the new segments of that audience weren't the kind of people who were going to buy a new console every generation. Nintendo's never had any planned obsolescence so if people are happy with a Wii it's not going to spontaneously combust anytime soon. I was still playing my NES when I got my N64.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Chaltab posted:

Also holy poo poo Wonderful 101, what do I have to do to satisfy your Platinum medal requirements? I take as little as 350 damage and it still drops me to a gold medal.

The people who said "take no damage" are right. The most important moves in the game are Guts and Spring. Pretty much every attack is signaled by an animation and audio queue, and non-boss enemies typically have a handful of moves, so you just need to learn the right reaction for each and then have the timing to pull it off. Once you can beat a battle with no damage you can work on improving your speed if you need to, but I found it was typically always damage that would trip me up except for a few specific instances.

zfleeman posted:

Never played a Dynasty Warriors game. Always heard they were butt, but this looks pretty great. A neat enough distraction/stopgap.

I am really looking forward to Hyrule Warriors because it looks like not just a Dynasty Warriors game but a pretty drat good Dynasty Warriors game. I only played I think 2 games in the series and I thought they were both decent. From the looks of things though it seems like Hyrule Warriors takes the same gameplay concepts but looks more polished. Also you can drop the moon on enemies.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

For all five of you who are following my Mario playthrough...

Finally beat Mario Bros 3 properly!

CONGRATULATIONS!

It was fun hearing about your experience, and I'm glad goons were able to help you out. I wish Nintendo would release more VC titles, Gamecube or otherwise, because it would be really neat to see people discover some great games they might have missed out on. I hope more people will share stories like this, because they're neat!

Chaltab posted:

The transfer doesn't mess with homebrew at all.

Thanks for helping Stan out, Chaltab. This is a question that came up a few times in the previous thread. Ultigonio, more than the game review stuff I think a FAQ with answers like these would be the most helpful thing to add to the OP. Do you still have all the questions together from when you asked for them in the previous thread?

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

13/f/cali posted:

Is there a term that means the exact opposite of buyer's remorse? Because that is how I feel about the Wii U after having it for less than a week.

I love this console. 3D World feels like a game I will still want to play once in awhile years from now. Between that and Link Between Worlds on the 3DS I am very pleased with Nintendo's games lately.

Glad you like it! 3D World is very fun and I'm still finding new things about it! I think the Miis playing the levels with you is a really neat feature. I've found some hidden stuff by following them, and especially shortcuts for semi-speedrunning.

I wonder if any of the Miis I've seen have been goons in this thread? If so, some of you guys are crazy. People are way better at this game then I am.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

SyHopeful posted:

We had to turn off the Mii ghosts because on many levels there was just too much poo poo on the screen and the camera would back wayyyyyy out so I couldn't tell if I was looking at my character, my girlfriend's character, or one of the Miis running around.

That said, we've beaten the game and are now going back through to get all the green stars.

Oh yeah, if you're doing multiplayer the Mii ghosts just end up being too many moving things on screen at once. Good luck getting the green stars! Let us know when you're trying to find the green stars in 6-3!

Welp! And I already thought MK8 was the best Mario Kart.

For all the issues Nintendo's had with contemporary Internet functionality, they really do a drat good job with their DLC. As someone who still remembers the Expansion Packs that DLC has basically completely replaced, I'll say that Nintendo's DLC is like a legitimate mini Expansion Pack. I really hope these are successful because I was people to see this model succeed and follow in its footsteps instead of pursuing microtransaction bullshit.

Also, really great to see more Nintendo crossovers and collaborations with other developers. There's definitely a hell of a lot of potential there. Can't believe games are still debuting in arcades though. Still I guess that gives an opportunity for further enhancements before a console release.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

Unfortunately I don't have another Wii game in here to try, all the rest are packed in a box. The Wii U has been perfect since launch and all of the Wii U games work fine. The disc is in flawless condition too. Maybe it's a sign to just wait for the new one.

If I recall correctly, people had mentioned Brawl and a couple other games where more likely to have issues because the disks are dual-layered. Does anyone know if that's correct?

In any case, I'm glad you at least got Wii Mode working without the sensor bar. Ultigonio, this solution would be a good thing to include in a FAQ in the OP.

absolutely anything posted:

Rocket Knight Adventures for the Genesis is the secret best 2D platformer of all time.

Ultigonio posted:

This is someone with taste.

Rocket Knight Adventures is definitely one of the best. The sequels/spinoffs on Genesis/SNES weren't bad either, though the original is still the best. I wish the remake was better.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Moriatti posted:

I think the lack of dialouge in them is reminiscent of old school Mario, definitely a feel they wanted. I also think that 3D World was criticized because it was released on the Wii U at the point it was released.

elf help book posted:

"YAH!", "HA HA", and "WAHOOOOOOOOO!" is enough dialogue.

One thing I really like is how well visuals can tell a story without dialog. The opening for Super Mario 3D world introduces characters, establishes the plot, and importantly gives characters personality using little or no dialog. Since it's a basic story you don't really need dialog to elaborate on anything.

Plus in the Mario series the main characters' voices are most iconic for short lines. Most of the actual dialog tends to come from side characters, or Bowser. I guess that makes Bowser the most well-spoken of the main cast?

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

No Egrets posted:

I'm not sure where to post this, but goddamn am I pumped about the Wii U. As I posted earlier I ordered one today, but mainly because my fiancé really wants to play Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario Brothers. I really had no interest and was looking forward to buying a PS4 soon. I guess I bought into (what I had thought was) the conventional wisdom that the Wii U was essentially an also-ran console, lagging way behind in quality games. I probably should have researched it before I pulled the trigger, but the games coming out for it are mind bogglingly good. Splatoon, Affordable Space Adventure, Captain Toad, Mario Maker, these all look absolutely fantastic. Am I just that far removed from gaming that I had never heard of any of these, or is that just because most of the gaming focus is on Sony and Microsoft? Also I'm super pumped for Super Smash Brothers as I haven't played any of the sequels since the N64.
TL/DR:
:woop:

Hope you and your fiance enjoy it! Definitely get Super Mario 3D World, it's a great Mario game to play with friends. Also, SM3DW will give you a preview of Captain Toad, since it includes some Captain Toad levels. New Super Mario Bros. U (and Luigi U) are both great too, but we're not responsible for any arguments about who jumped in who's way and made you both fall into a pit. That game causes fights, and probably murders.

Agree with you about the Wii U not getting a lot of press. I imagine it's because there's not as much money involved. Eh, most popular "gaming journalism" is so much of a sham they don't even bother to hide it.

There's been so much added to Super Smash Bros. since the N64, although the original is still a classic. Have you seen all the character intros?

Ah, dammit. Now this is getting me all excited about these games that aren't out yet. :argh:

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

axleblaze posted:

I agree that gaming journalism is a sham but the Wii U's problems aren't because gaming sites don't talk about it. I see as much coverage on that front than any other and of course there's money in it. I've seen Nintendo put up ads on game sites and it's not like Nintendo news doesn't get views because of the rabid fanbase . There is literally no basis in this assertion.

Glad we agree on the sham bit! Just to be clear I'm not saying the Wii U's problems were caused solely by compromised press, I'm saying you won't see a gaming journalism site that redoes their homepage to promote a Nintendo game (couldn't find the .jpg of IGN doing it for Halo, but you can find the McGriddles one with a quick Google search). Publicity is definitely one of the reasons why the Wii U hasn't been as successful given people have posted in this thread not realizing it was distinct from the Wii. To a point that's to be expected, but when marketing becomes more profitable than content it means producers are going to focus on the former rather than the latter. That's no good.

Ultigonio posted:

In the case of Affordable Space Adventures, I'd still be willing to bet that we're looking at a 2015 release date since that's what the KnapNok rep sorta' suggested at E3, but I could probably ask Nifflas about it to confirm, since he's a pretty easy dude to talk to.

I have heard only good things about Affordable Space but wasn't really familiar with the creator or his previous works. Jsor mentioned he did the Knytt games and Within a Deep Forest a while back, are those still worth checking out?

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

No Egrets posted:

I've dubbed it The Koopa Cup™

That is really cool! Thanks for sharing, it's always neat to see when people do cool stuff like this. Be sure to let us know who wins it!

Incidentally, regarding the comment about you and your fiance being competitive: have you two played Super Mario 3D World? That's got a kind of cooperative-but-competitive multiplayer, and it would be interesting to hear more of what people thought of it. It seems like a number of people consider it to be a primarily single player game with multiplayer as a bonus, which I think I'd agree with, but other people seemed to have really enjoyed it. With more Nintendo titles having multiplayer features it would be interesting to see if there's more of this kind of indirect competition.

Austrian mook posted:

those loving enemy designs are unbelievable. Can't wait to see what the boss fights end up looking like

I did not even play the first Bayonetta but the second one looks awesome. I've heard some mixed things about the first, but there seems like no reason NOT to get it since it's being re-released. For people familiar with the series, does it seem like you should play/beat the first before playing the second?

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

nate fisher posted:

As someone who grew up on the NES and SNES, I absolutely enjoy and love Nintendo first party games. My top 10 list of games are littered with Nintendo first party games. I have my PS4 to scratch the itch of other games like Destiny, Last of Us, etc., but I still feel like something is missing (the games of my youth). I played Mario Kart 8 for the first time waiting for Destiny at GameStop, and I can't get it out of my mind. I guess I'm just trying to push myself over the ledge of spending the money.

Getting a refurbished Wii U is definitely the way to go! NintendoLand comes with the system, and you can get discounts on the eShop from the Deluxe Digital Promotion.

What kind of games are you interested in? Mario Kart 8 is great (plus it has more tracks and characters on the way). Like Silver Falcon said, Super Mario World 3D a really great Mario platformer - I'd say it's even in the running for Best Mario Platformer. Plus ZombiU and Wonderful 101 have surprisingly dropped in price and both are awesome! You'd have to be okay with a survival shooter and Platinum mechanics respectively though.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Velius posted:

I have a fairly specific question: I have a three year old, and I'm pretty tired of in app purchases and ads and the like. What's the usability of the wii u for kids, especially little ones?

ImpAtom posted:

It's quite good. I play it with my little cousins frequently and there are no games which are really feature-incomplete.

Astro Nut posted:

There's also a number of games, either in major titles or in smaller e-shop releases, that should make for simple but good play. Even if they can't handle the various Mario titles, they might be able to play, say, Angry Birds or Scribblenauts. Honestly anything that would use touch screen controls would be fairly intuitive even for a young child to get, though you'd have to make sure they don't poke too hard or the like. Beyond that, wide array of bright and colourful games across a variety of genres, so you should be able to find something.

Astro Nut and ImpAtom basically nailed it here, but wanted to say you probably would want to grab a screen protector for the Gamepad if you hadn't (you can get a pack for a couple bucks). There's the usual games geared towards kids on disk, but you could also probably find some good things on the eShop. Also there are a number of party games/minigame collections on the Wii U, and it seems like those minigames should be simple enough for a kid to pick up.

Also, it might be worthwhile to note most Wii U games can be played directly on the Gamepad so it can be used like a handheld in your home (I think the effective range is something like 25 ft from the Wii U?).

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Akuma posted:

Yeah it's more the skill of my 5 year old game partner that I'm worried about! Even if we can't beat the last world, she's simply itching to open it up since we've seen everything else.

It's been really neat hearing people in the thread talk about playing with their kids. You guys seem like cool parents. I wish my folks had been more involved like that in my childhood.

Anyway, even if you unlock the last world it's a small handful of challenging levels, a couple of which are rather lengthy so if you can't get passed the early parts you won't see most of the levels. If you're both having fun I'd definitely recommend New Super Mario Bros. U as well. Although I think 3D World is the better game, NSMBU is still well-executed and can be a lot of fun. Plus there you could either both play as characters like 3D World or you could help your game partner out by making platforms for them.

Fremry posted:

Anyone know how to get Amazon to price match? I would like to pick up ZombiU, but the Best Buys around me don't have it, and I don't care enough to go through the hassle of making a Best Buy account online.

Sorry, but a quick check says you might be out of luck.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

KingEffingFrost posted:

Anecdotal evidence, but I haven't been able to find a copy of it since release in LA, and I've now hit up 4 Best Buys and 4 Gamestops.

Ouch. It's a really fun game, sorry you're missing out. At this point if you hit 8 stores, think it might be easier to just download it? Though it's understandable if you want to hold out for the disk.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

Just bought a blue wii remote plus and nunchuk refurbished from Nintendo's website. I know the consoles they sell refurbished are basically new, how are the controllers? The same or with visible wear?

The refurbished controllers I got were basically new, just like my refurbished Wii U. You made a smart choice if you're on a budget. If anyone needs to pick up extra ones I think that's the right way to go.

I'd buy more myself for 8-player Smash...if I had 7 friends. :(

melon cat posted:

What are some games that are easy to pick-up-and-play with my casual-gamer wife? I might pull the trigger on a Wii U if a decent bundle makes an appearance around Christmas.

A couple easy games to get into are Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8. If you get a refurbished one for $200 it comes with NintendoLand, which is a nice collection of minigames that are pretty fun and really easy to play as well.

Apparently a lot of people have said co-op Hyrule Warriors is awesome. The controls are easy to understand, but it depends on if your wife would be interesting in stabbing literally thousands of dudes.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

PoshAlligator posted:

Seeing people talking about Hyrule Warriors I thought I'd just weigh in and say I really love it. For me it's one of the most solid games available on the Wii U currently, and I think it's part of the solid line up that the Wii U needs.

I wrote a full review just very recently if anyone is into reading it. http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/review-hyrule-warriors/

Still, I'm more of a Zelda fan than a Warriors fan, so I guess it could potentially be disappointing if you're a fan of the latter. I've never even played another Warriors game. I do have Dynasty Warriors 6, but my co-worker says it's the worst one.

When you hear Tokata's song that's when you know the Reaper is coming for you.

That website is offensively faux-Japanese but the review was well-written if not really in-depth. You did a good job summarizing some of the main aspects of the game, but I think you didn't have to repeat so often how you haven't played other Warriors games / don't know about Warriors / can't speak for Warriors fans, etc. Though as a side note, if you're having trouble with the giant bosses, you should know you can bait out their weak point exposing attacks by positioning yourself correctly (the guard button helps with that - yes, the game has a guard button). Also there's a surprising amount of undocumented depth to the game, including things like counter attacks and combo/attack variations.

It's great to see the Wii U doing well because there is a solid collection of awesome titles for it, and I want them to succeed so that we get more games like that. Hyrule Warriors really surprised me by being excellent, when before getting it I didn't know what to expect. I actually think there are a number of games like that on the Wii U, I'd count ZombiU too since it's not just a generic zombie shooter but is actually really great. It's neat to be pleasantly surprised by a game every once in a while.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Ultigonio posted:

This trailer for Sportsball is ridiculous and I can't understand half the words that are being said but it's great so https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTMt5AsCFIw

Also, the game's coming out November 6th in NA - next week.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It looks like Joust.

That trailer is completely incomprehensible just like Joust. I have never even heard of this before but I think I'm going to check it out, so thanks for the post Ultigonio.

ImpAtom posted:

I think the idea is that Amiibos would be cross-game DLC and thus have wider but shallower value than regular DLC. I don't really get the hype over 'em but I'd probably have felt differently if I was 10 or more of a collector.

I think "cross-game DLC" is probably the best phrasing I've heard to convey what Amiibos seem to be. Getting bonus content across a few games plus a little figure seems fine to me. Heck, the fact that Toys R' Us is giving one away for free with Smash U means I have no reason to not get one, and if it seems worthwhile I might get another couple. Probably start with Yoshi for free because of the multi-game compatibility and also 'cuz Yoshi's the best.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

So I see Kewpuh is continuing to be hilariously awesome. Whatever happened to the Wii U Shark Tank thread anyway? Remember how Nintendo's been going out of business for like the past decade?

Something that's come up lately is the sheer volume of Nintendo stuff coming out in November. I wanted to finish Hyrule Warriors before getting into Bayonetta/Bayonetta 2, but now there's going to be more characters and levels coming out for Warriors. On top of that since you can transfer characters/equipment over in Smash I wanted unlock the rest of the stuff I'm missing in the 3DS version before the Wii U came out, but that sure as heck doesn't seem like it's going to happen. Also I have to get back into Mario Kart 8 when the new characters and tracks come out for that.

Nintendo, please stop making it so difficult for me to budget my time. :(

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Also more Hyrule Warriors stuff coming out in January and February. I forget, do we have a date for the second wave of Mario Kart 8 characters/tracks yet?

Captain Toad seems like the perfect type of game to get the expansion pack treatment as well. Either that or a level designer.

Anyway, the AMA for Stealth Inc. 2 was linked in the OP so I'm reading through it now. Never played the original but I'm intrigued. Anyone know if it's worth picking up?

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

FairGame posted:

I'm thinking about getting a Wii since most of my "time by myself" gaming is done on the computer, but it'd be nice for the fiancee and I to have something to play together that isn't Diablo on the 360, and to have something to play with friends.

Wii U seems a great choice on that front.

But, uh...I haven't gotten a new system in years and there's a lot of poo poo here I'm not super familiar with.

So, in no particular order:
1.) Should I wait until later this month? I saw that PS4 had a price drop; are we expecting a similar Wii U one in advance of the holidays?
2.) That Fry's deal in the OP is dead. What's the bundle I should be targeting if what I want most is Mario Kart, Pikmin 3, Smash Bros., and Zelda? (I don't see a bundle that does a good job with this stuff; I'm mostly asking if there's a new bundle people are expecting in the coming weeks.)
3.) Is there anything I need to watch out for when making a crapload of purchases on the Nintendo Store? I want to play a bunch of VC games and will probably drop like $100 on that library very quickly. Is there something similar to the XBox "Games with Gold" promo where I should drag my feet when making purchases?
4.) I'm still boned if I want to play that copy of Xenoblade Chronicles that's been sitting in an unwrapped box for several years, right? (I don't have a DVD drive on my computer, so emulation is out.)

There have been a lot of people posting both in this thread and the other Wii U game threads about playing with their SO, so you're right it's a great choice.

1) Heard Target was having an upcoming either Buy 2 Get 1 Free or possibly Buy 1 Get 1 Free sale on Wii U games (probably from this thread), but don't recall the time/details. Black Friday will probably have good deals as well.

2) My advice would still be to get a $200 Refurbished Deluxe, which comes with NintendoLand and gets you access to the Deluxe Digital Promotion. However I know the Mario Kart bundle was popular when MK8 came out - I don't know of any new bundles.

3) The Deluxe Digital Promotion mentioned above gets you 10% credit back on all eShop Digital Purchases until the end of this year (unless Nintendo extends it, which I think everyone is hoping they will). That means don't drag your feet! Details are here. Edit: Also sign up at Club Nintendo to register your system/games for coins which you can cash in for downloads, which could towards getting you credit as well.

4) Unless I'm missing something obvious, you're talking about playing the Wii game Xenoblade Chronicles (which is an awesome game by the way - you've got good taste) on the Wii U? Yes, of course you can do that? Is there some kind of issue I don't know about where Xenoblade specifically won't work on the Wii U? According to Giant Bomb forums it seems like it should work.

CatsPajamas fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 4, 2014

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

fiber posted:

I'm looking to play Pikmin 1 and 2 before playing 3 and had somehow completely missed the fact that apparently original Wii games work on the Wii U? Just making sure because googling for the info seems to only list system transfer type stuff and I no longer own an original Wii. If I got the Pikmin 1 and 2 Wii ports along with a nunchuk+controller would they would on the U?

The Wii U basically has a Wii in it. From the system menu you can select "Wii Mode" and everything should literally be identical to playing on a Wii, with the bonus of being able to output to the Gamepad if you don't want to use a TV.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

hamsystem posted:

What accessories would you recommend for someone about to get a Wii U?

If you plan on using original Wii functionality, you can get a Wii Remote+ and Nunchuck Combo from the Nintendo Store for $25, which is great if you don't already have one. Otherwise definitely pick up a Wii U Pro Controller, it's one of the best controllers I've used and I don't think I've had to recharge it since I got it. Also, if you plan on downloading a lot of stuff you may want to get a Y-Cable and external hard drive. Finally, if you're in NA and planning on getting Smash U you can preorder it from Toys R' Us and get a free Amiibo.

Hope you enjoy your Wii U! What games are you starting off with?

TheRam posted:

Hello. Swapper releases today, or just released. I don't know, it's 4am. I finished my review of it, and it'll be available here: http://youtu.be/RQ2R0AcLuAs (1080p soon)

tl;dr - unique puzzling, tricksy and satisfying. Reminiscent of those nice quiet science fiction movies with kind of creepy plots, it's pretty hard to tl;dr, I liked it a lot. It's pretty expensive though! :10bux: (x2)

If Moon is your favorite movie, you've got drat good taste. This seems really interesting, and I agree that I haven't seem a puzzle game use a bodyswapping mechanic like this before. Good to see Sci-Fi stuff of this style. Also, thanks for not spoiling the plot, but it would have been good to hear more detail about the setup and premise at the start.

And as a side note, anyone who said the Metroid Prime Trilogy is worth $50+ has good opinions about games and should feel good.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm thinking about taking advantage of Target's buy 2 get 1 sale but I can't make up my mind. I have 3D World, MK8, Pikmin 3, NSMBU, and DKTF. I'm thinking about picking up Hyrule Warriors, Bayo 2 (this is a 2 for 1 for me since I've never played a Bayo game), Wonderful 101, Fantasy Life, and Kirby's Triple Deluxe, but I'm only up for getting three from the sale. Right now I'm leaning mostly toward HW, Bayo 2, and Fantasy Life.

I'd feel like I'm pissing away money by buying two games for $60 each and getting a $40 game free. Should I be considering any other Wii U titles? For what's it's worth I like most video game genres so please fire away any suggestions!

Hyrule Warriors and Bayo 2 are both excellent action games, and I cannot say enough good things about them. If you're going for new $60 titles, you made the smart choice going for them.

Likewise, Wonderful 101 is amazing. However, typically you can find it from $20-$30, so although you should definitely get it, it might not be the best bang for your buck in this deal. The same goes for ZombiU, which is one of the best zombie games I've played, but can be found for around $20.

If you liked NSMBU and DKTF, I've heard very good things about Rayman Legends. Haven't played it myself, but a number of people in the thread have posted about it being great. Similarly, Lego City Undercover is apparently a cross between a family-friendly Grand Theft Auto and a collectation like Banjo Kazooie - although I never thought I'd pick up a Lego game, enough people have said great things about it in this thread that it seems worthwhile to check out sometime.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

I checked online and Bayo 2 is not flagged as part of the buy 2 get 1 sale how every other game I've looked at is flagged.

Ouch, sorry man! It looked like you had really good taste in games to boot. I think both Bayonetta and Hyrule Warriors are worth a full price purchase, if that makes a difference.

If you're more concerned about value than time, maybe do Fantasy Life, Wonderful 101 and ZombiU (or three 3DS games - you mentioned Kirby's Triple Deluxe and that's definitely worth getting too) and wait until Black Friday for the $60 titles? You'd be waiting a couple more weeks to get Bayo 2 and Hyrule Warriors though.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Crawfish posted:

Come June, so personal family related matters happened, and soon after we had to make the move back to New Zealand, and while it would be easier to keep it with Australia, my bank over here pings me with either a 10% of the total currency conversion fee, or a straight $10 fee for it, so it isn't really financially viable to keep it an Australian account.

Sorry if I don't understand how the system works over there since I'm in America, but I specifically got a Discover card with no foreign fees to I use whenever I buy anything outside the country. Have you looked into getting a card like that?

As a side note, what kind of fee are you talking about anyway? If an extra 10% on a downloadable game "isn't financially viable," it might be a good idea to get your financial situation in order instead of spending money on video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Ultigonio posted:

In addition, this piece on Miyamoto (which includes some bits of interview between its colorful prose) is a bit of a fun read, if somewhat embellished. It's mostly about the Pikmin short films, but includes a few other bits that may be interesting to some of you.

Speaking of the Pikmin videos, what do the people who've seen them think of them? I'm considering getting them this weekend when I have some free-time and popping some popcorn. They're basically like short films, right? I kind of hope they do well because it would be neat to see more Nintendo short films - something like Subspace Emissary as a short film seems like it would be worth a watch.

• Locked thread