Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Battle Cats appears to be back with a game called, The Battle Cats. Looks like it's by the same guy, still free. Still weird. Still great. As someone who fell into a deep depression after the pull of the OG Battle Cats, this is like a breath of fresh air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Also, The Battle Cats update: somebody who speaks English as a first language has gone through the game. It's still funny, but in a different way. Also, you fight through all of Asia, as opposed to just Japan, as in Battle Cats. It's great. Just in time for a commute-filler. I love you, PONOS.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

The battle cats

The Battle Cats

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

axleblaze posted:

Quick question about Battle Cats that I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer to: in battle cats I'm completely maxed out on all the things I can spend experience on (which did not take that long at all really), however when I upgrade something using something from the daily capsule machine, it goes above the mac level and lets me level it up to a new max level. If this actually letting me double the goodness of my units or is it just a bug letting me go above the level I'm supposed to stop at?

Going off of Battle Cats, your units can level up to 10 in the base game, but once you beat the regular campaign, they can level up to 20. The Battle Cats may be different / bugged, tho.

Also, Spymaster is okay, but you could just spend 5bux for a more-than-passable Counterspy port.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
All I'm saying is give The Battle Cats a chance.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Sad lions posted:

So on beating the entirety of Silent Age I have to heartily recommend it. A bit surprised by the ending and not sure what to make of the disco guy but the story and atmosphere is solid as all hell and the time travel is handled amazingly in it.
They really nail the 70s end of the world movie feel to it.

The whole game came out? I seem to recall them ending on a halfway note and throwing out a (not entirely unwarranted) hand for some bux.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
^^ I know there was one for the OG Battle Cats, at some point.

Sad lions posted:

Yup. It's in the form of an update and IAP (£2.99 or $4.99).
It completes the story and as far as I'm concerned does a good job of showing up the first in the spookiness stakes.

Nice! I really enjoyed the original product.

Also: I've been playing hoplite (isometric rogue-lite), Corrypt (weird, pixely puzzle game), and ZiGGURAT (kinda arcadey fixed-point shooter). They all pretty well own.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Box of Cats and Ninja Cat are the best. God Cat gives you a one-time win button but starts charging afterwards in Cat Food. Basic, early-game strategy -- poo poo out basic Cats to stem the tide of opfor enemies until you've fully powered up Worker Cat, at which point save up your wallet until it's nearly full and then just buy one of everything. Tank Cat + Gross Cat can get you through a lot of regular stuff, but you'll need Axe Cat for red enemies, which chew up most stuff real easy. Think of your cannon as an outward poke, not as a last-ditch defense, because it'll never be strong enough to take down the big baddie busting down your wall. Don't bother upgrading your base health -- if an enemy's that far to the base, they've basically already won.

Treasures are wholly random unless you pop a Treasure Radar, which are daily freebies / IAP traps.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 22, 2014

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Shwqa posted:

There was a old battlecats thread. Does anyone have the link?

I've been looking for it. Might have fallen into archives.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

crazypeltast52 posted:

Battle Cats chat: was the dog named "Doge" last time around or is this much meme, such shiba?

I believe he was called Shibe. Also: the upgraded Thief cat is adorable and totally makes up for not being particularly useful.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Cook, Serve, Delicious! is the best western hardcore roguelike food management simulator JRPG out there.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Y'all are negative as hell, Jesus.

Ignite Memories posted:

Today I am the rear end in a top hat who comes in to the thread with a new iphone. Looking for some fun games in the vein of:

Tower Defense
On my android I enjoyed elements TD
Endless Runner
I like Punch Quest but i'm getting bored of it
Click-then-wait
I liked tiny death star on my android but i can't seem to find it on ios
Two-player pass-the-phone [or two-player simultaneous]
For cooperative time wasting

Oh, and a robotron clone.
I'm stoked that crimsonland is on ios and i'm definitely getting that, but since i've beaten it on PC maybe there are others i should try?

Kingdom Rush is dope, the first Fieldrunners 1 used to be really good in the iPod Touch era, Jetpack Joyride is dope, Space Team is among the best multiplayer games ever. Disco Zoo is alright for click and wait, as is that other Kingdom game I've forgotten the name of. I think there might be a Midway Arcade game compilation on iOS, too, but if you're looking for an expanded Space Invaders, Radiant looks gorgeous.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
1) gently caress nimblebit i hate inoffensive games that aren't bad
2) iap is killing games
3) referral codes
4) a brief flash of actual discussion
5) posting about posting

Solomon's Keep is pretty good. Just started playing it. Wish I had it on my iPad but it works okay on my 5. Tactics Maiden seems servicable but shallow. RETRY is stupid. Just give me Battle Cats and Kingdom Rush forever.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I hate to be that guy, but you really should buy Shadowrun on PC if the option's available to you. It's not a very requirement-heavy game. AND There's a ton of custom content campaigns made. Some of them are even good! :v: And from Returns to Dragonfall I *think* rebalances a bunch of stuff.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The reviews on the App store for that look super grim, IAP-wise. Maybe the backlash will be so bad that they'll turn around on it, PvZ2 style, but I doubt it. :(

vv Yes, which is why I said IAP-wise. As in, the ones with devices that work. :v:

Bogart fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 3, 2014

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Stoked for Subterfuge. I don't have the time to devote to properly beta testing it so I'll wait for the full release, but I hope it's great!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yo, grab Puzzle Bandits. Best music I've heard in a free game for a while, and the match-3 mechanics are pretty dope.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
An anime golf game? Sure, probably. Let me tell you about the soccer boobs on this spirit.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

DrManiac posted:

Speaking of dragon age, isn't it about time for another port? I want to play 5 on the ios so bad now.

There's only three Dragon Age games. :confused:

e: Oh, Dragon Quest. Yeah, probably.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Japanese companies are insane. Unfortunately, not a new trend. How's Deep Dungeons of Doom? Had my eye on it for a while.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
We've got about four in the Blizzard subforum. :v:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
On my computer's HD, it's 18 gb, so, you know. They probably did at least a bit of compression work. :v:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Lumo Industries scratches my pretty colours and presentation itch well, and it's free, so maybe that? Puzzle Bandits I recall being pretty good.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Alright y'all, time for the Great February Fone Cleanup. Post all the games you've got on your phone, give 'em a two-sentence or so description, delete them if you don't like them, replace them with those other people recommend.

Spaceteam -- not a lot of opportunity to play it anymore, but it's the best mp game on iOS and it's free, so. Keep.
Hoplite -- fun and decently complex isometric roguelike. Keep.
ZONR -- a 'touch the biggest block' game. The best part is when you start it up and it goes zooooonrrrr in a way reminiscent of SEGGGAAA. Fun time-waster, but. Delete.
Friendstrap -- a weird and kinda fun two-player game from the sadly defunct Game Oven. Limited use. Delete.
Oquonie -- I have no idea what's going on in this game but I love it.Interesting art style, weird puzzles I only sort of get, captivating. Keep.
Threes -- another go-to poop game. You know what Threes is. Keep.
Blackbar -- an interesting word game where you 'decensor' correspondence. I've been stuck on a word for like a month but I'll get it eventually, right. Keep.
10000000 -- My favorite Match-3. And the sequel's coming out any day now, right? Keep.
Bounden -- another Game Oven joint. Two-player dancing game. Again, fun, but see Friendstrap. Delete.
ASYNC Corp. -- this game has GOT to have some deeper plot, right? I should delete it, but I won't. Kind of a Bejeweled-like. Match like-colors to make blocks, then tap the blocks to make them disappear. Keep.
Zengrams -- I have never actually opened this game. Delete.
Lamp'n'Vamp -- kind of like Hoplite, but with different powers and enemies. Vampires, son. Keep.
868-HACK -- another decent little roguelike, kinda cyber-punky // 90's Hacker-y. Keep.
Nightmare Cooperative -- the last of my roguelikes, this one's cool because you control multiple characters at once with different powers. Balls hard. Keep.

Recommendations -- Hoplite, Threes, 1000000, 868-Hack, Nightmare Cooperative.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Glad everyone likes the idea! :D And again for my iPad, which is my usual collect-games-like--a-squirrel-stuffing-its-cheeks device.

FTL -- Firefly Spaceship simulator roguelike. Owns. Will probably never get rid of it. Keep.
Wayward Souls -- great game! Hope it gets that PC release that was talked about a while back because even with the pretty good touch controls I still get frustrated. Delete.
Hitman GO -- great aesthetic. Fun game. Hitman as a kinda boardgame. Ave Maria. Keep.
80 Days -- my favorite Sorcery!-alike. Looks great on the big screen. Keep.
CounterSpy -- the controls kinda suck, but again, I love the aesthetic and all that. Third person spy game with occasional first-person shooting. Has upgrades and a bigger metagame in a kinda XCOMy way. keep.
Monument Valley -- used to be on my iPhone but I figured it'd look better on the bigger screen. Still a staggeringly pretty game. Keep.
Valiant Hearts -- beautiful looking WWI puzzle game. Proof that Ubisoft can make good games in between Assassin's Cry: The Crew. Keep.
Jack Lumber -- Fruit-Ninja, kinda, with a pretty funny story and levels. Not that far into it, but I like it. Keep.
Beat Sneak Bandit -- rhythm-based puzzle game. Fun, but short enough that it would do better on my iPhone. Delete.
Sailor's Dream -- I love all of Simogo's stuff, but this one might be the weakest. Go around and look at things. Pretty things. Delete.
Radiant -- Space-Invaders with weapon progression, a kinda-there story, and is hard as balls. One of the first games I ever bought on iOS, but it's so sloooow. Delete.
Cook Serve Delicious -- hardcore restaurant management sim. Perfect for tablets, just long enough to burn some time. Keep.
Calculords -- if DOTA2 was a card game, maybe. Not really. Fun little witty cad game, but too much grind. Delete.
rymdkapsel -- Difficult to describe. Build a base in space? With little tetris dudes? And stave off red-line invasions. Delete, maybe? I feel like it's a game that you need to have a lot of sleep after to understand.
Democracy 3 -- Great little politics simulator game, now mobile. Keep.
FRAMED -- comic-book game where you can change the sequence of events to continue. Weird, but fun. Keep.
Kingdom Rush Origins -- the elvy dudes just aren't grabbing me right. Tower Defense with heroes. Delete.
Icewind Dale / Ending -- bought on a lark. Haven't touched it yet. Keep, for now.
Year Walk / Device 6 -- owns. Everyone should play these. Keep.

Recommends -- FTL, Cook Serve Delicious, Democracy 3, Year Walk, Device 6.

Downloaded Deep Loot and Reversion based on recommendations so far. :D

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

tuyop posted:

It seems like it has enough substance and potential strategy to warrant it, yes. I mean, The Battlecats thread is still sort of active and that's just a game about creepy cats.

Listen here, motherfucker.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Made you guys a referral thread so we can get out of this horrible ouroburos of new thing coming out -> people post codes -> people bitch. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3707232

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
There's a thread for Pocket Mine et al codes: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3707232

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Really wish Democracy 3 had the DLC in it. Even as IAP. :( Such a great game but I need more.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I don't think it needs to be said but Hearthstone is now available on iPhone.

e: it did not

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Zigmidge posted:

Yeah there's no pay WALL which is nice. And the game is legit fun and has tons of depth which is more than anyone can say about the rest of the f2p garbage posted about in here. I guess I'm just saying that hearthstone has a little mud on it in the cesspool of f2p.

no bro i promise soccer spirits is so deep you don't even know

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I got this little MetaWatch from a meh sale for $15 and it's cool for that price. Look at notifications, check the weather, and change songs / song volume is a good enough value proposition there.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Fat Samurai posted:

I've been "playing" Adventure Capitalist and I don't know what numbers mean anymore. Help.

Take this as your sign to delete it while you can.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Fat Samurai posted:

But I still can make the numbers go higher.

i know. i know... :(

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Crossposting from the roguelike thread:

Neat little iOS roguelike called MicRogue. .99 cents USD, pretty charming so far. Climb ten levels and get the treasure. You die in one go, so do most enemies, you can move one or two spaces in cardinal directions, you've got a shield that can take three hits, some enemies make you swap positions with them, some move in diagonals. Kind of cute art style, nice (limited) writing. Doesn't kill music you have playing for its own (pretty decent) music. I like it a lot so far, even if idk if it's gonna replace Hoplite for me.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

goferchan posted:

Is there metagame progression like how you'd unlock new skills with achievements in Hoplite? I'm a sucker for that

I've not beat it yet so I can't speak 100%, but it doesn't seem so. There are different enemies during the descent than the ascent, though.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Can't speak to that, but Nightmare Cooperative, Hoplite, and 868-HACK are excellent little strategy games, even if they are technically rogue-ish. Other general Good Games are FTL, Democracy 3, Device 6, Year Walk, Sorcery!, Does Not Commute, and i have to say Space Team even though it's literally a local multiplayer-only game.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
you won't BELIEVE the tiddys on these anime soccer players! #8 is insane....

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
i love whenever the nimblebit guys post there's always a bitter goon who weakly shitposts about them. Capitals looks cool yall. Baller that it's free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Haven't seen that one yet myself. :ohdear: Maybe see if you can reach out to the devs? Paradox is a good company.