Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

LuiCypher posted:

Has anyone yet tried to make a Killa Kan out of a Coke Can?

Pretty sure someone at my old college gaming group did that. That reminds me, I still have pictures of the "Rhinestone Tauboy" skimmer somewhere that I need to dig up. I remember it getting special feature for a while on that SA spin-off 40k forum that I don't even know if it exists anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

SRM posted:

Unfortunately Eternity of War doesn't exist anymore.

I have a similar college gaming story. I played a Necron player who agreed to an 1850 point game. He brings out an army that for the most part is pretty standard, until he brings out his second Monolith. It isn't actually a Monolith, but a collection of Yu-Gi-Oh! cards taped together in a vague silhouette of a Monolith. I said we should play a 1600 point game instead.

That's probably the best use of Yu-Gi-Oh! cards short of kindling. You should congratulate the guy for getting rid of his old habits in a eco-friendly manner. Even if he is playing cheesebots.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Grey Hunter posted:

I'll throw one of mine from the past.

10 year old me didn't have a desert brown, and a limited budget. Yellow is the colour of sand right?

Camoflauge for the Disco world!

But, you see, this is acceptable work for a 10 year old. For a 30 year old "pro painter", not so much. Colors could probably also work for a Necromunda gang.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Okay, so to help contribute to this thread, here is the Rhinestone Tauboy:

His goal was to go for a "Pimp Tau" theme (his words), which kinda reflect in the purple the rest of his army was in:

The rest of his stuff was table-top quality, and not as bad as the above monstrosity. But to be fair, I did create these...things, to which I am not proud of (for some reason I used putty on everything):

Scratch built Penitent Engines using Sentinels (and putty, and a heavy flamer as the leg of the one on the right)!

Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of one of the Flames of War players last weekend, who painted up his PIVs and StuGs covered in glossy dark red paint, the "blood" from them running over the Soviet hordes as the player described it. To be fair, he's like, thirteen or something. The guy all stoked about it and wanting to imitate his "style", just turned old enough to drink. So no historical diversity for this thread, yet.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Fearless posted:

Yeah but under their arms most of all, not on the table.

One step at a time, man. You've got to break them of their fear of it first, then work up to actual use and application. Show them that, no, you will not die a horrible melty death in the presence of deodorant.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

LordAba posted:

^^^
Yeah, I heard horror stories of people going in for an interview and getting a bunch of models to paint to show their skills. Once the models are painted? Yup, goodbye thanks for trying... too bad it was just an interview so we can't pay you for the time.

The worse thing about that video is the consistency. Some models have the glow effect, some don't. In the same unit it looks bad. Some of the train pieces look much better than others.

That's a serious red flag and really should be a suable issue. Insofar as my limited knowledge goes, in creative fields you submit a portfolio, or at most demonstrate working knowledge of the software/tools, but not actually produce a meaningful product. I take it these guys are in the US and someone needs to run their asses up the AG's flagpole and soon!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

rkajdi posted:

Hahahahaha. We allow companies to hire people to real work and be paid in "experience" (unpaid interns) This guy is just par for the course. Considering the stuff I've seen with painting services here, the most ethical option seems to be the third-world sweatshop variety. They pay more to the worker, and you don't end up supporting fash trash.

EDIT: Thought I'd add that BTP is the company that IIRC openly talked about not wanting to hire a disabled person because they'd have to deal with EEO stuff at that point. I'd love nothing more than Johnny Law to ruin their poo poo repeated.

Not to give validity to unpaid internships, but they are at least an arrangement made in contract, versus tricking someone into rendering a product, service, or employ under the false pretense of "an interview". A particularly litigious AG would enjoy ruining them. But that also depends on what state they are in.

But we've already established they are poo poo stains, let's not derail the thread by arguing about the color.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Let me just check putty and paint before I go to bed... :stonk:

The... this whole thing. Her bowlegged stance, the "weak" pose, the goddamned thong. Nope, no misogynistic man-children in my hobby. At least the purple isn't too bad, maybe?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Gumdrop Larry posted:

You guys a nice clean, smooth coat of white is super tricky ok jesus

Yeah, it takes a real professional with a whole studio to churn out flawless whites.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

JcDent posted:

...that they're good enough to run for president, if the the Vice video about Mexico Romneys is to be believed. Is Mormonism somehow linked to being a lovely businessman?

What happens in Desseret stays in Desseret.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

SRM posted:

I feel like once you start including obvious modern military or national themes into armies, they lose any chance they had of fitting into the setting and they tend to become really, really tacky. This goes for Megamerica Marines to Nazi Marines to Brazillian Marines. There are some cases where you can get away with stuff like that in armies with an obvious historical bent, like certain Imperial Guard regiments though. That being said, I'd love to see well painted Megamerica Marines just because it would be hilarious.

National themes can be fun and funny when you do the project as something fun/funny rather than a serious seriousness of seriosity for this totally serious game. Like that 70's/80's metal themed Slaneesh army that had KISS squads, Iron Maiden (including Eddie as a demon prince), etc. I think a squad or two or maybe a rhino can be played up for laughs, even a full army. I think armies painted after American Football teams or British Football (soccer, you ninnies!) teams could be funny.

Otherwise, each army gives an opportunity to incorporated elements from real life or other pop culture. Personally, I would love to do up an IG army based around the Desert Rats, or other historical armies (but then I remind myself that I play historicals and it's easier and more fun just to play those armies than to poorly hack kits together and argue with grognards about the proper green for Catachan tanks in July of 41.942).

But then you get idiots like that guy who (with great skill) paints tanks in Nazi regalia.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

JcDent posted:

So, it's impossible to make a Waffen SS guardsmen with Aquilas instead of swastikas and stuff? Even if you're not a Nazi? Am I a Nazi for even suggesting that?

Wouldn't Desert Rats mean space shorts and LR Conquerors as stand ins for Cruiser Tanks?

I have a really hard time imagining a national theme for my country. Can't paint Marines in flag colors, that would be silly. And no outstanding look for Guardsmen, either: interwar army had German gear AFAIK, and now days it's standard sub-NATO stuff. Must get creative!

Imagine it would be even harder for Luxembourg.

More or less, I suppose. It goes to show that I've been out of 40k for a while that I have forgotten the various variants of Leman Russ tanks (I use to know them all before GW started selling them as mainline products!)

Mainly I'd love to be able to try my hand at redesigning some of the tanks in a different aesthetic as an exercise in my modeling skills (or lack thereof), but I suppose that'd be missing the point of satire that is 40k. I mean, I don't want IG riding around in King Tigers, but scratch building a "counts-as" Leman Russ with deck turrets instead of side sponsons would be fun, I think.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

JcDent posted:

Look at this beauty:

Sky's the limit!

One thing I learned for Warhammer Proxies FB group is that people will proxy the most unlikely horrible poo poo. Sure, there was one guy with awesome MK. V coversion for a Land Raider, but the others...
And abou deck turrets: if you manage to get your hands on a T-28, shorten it by 30% or more, and maybe replace the main turret with Russ turret, you're good to go. T-28 already looks retarded enough to be 40K.

That is a pretty tank. 40K seems ripe for conversions and hacks, which when done well, look awesome. But then we are reminded these are gems in a sea of poo poo.

e: That group has a Mk. VI male as it's main picture. I love it already.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

moths posted:

That poo poo pisses me right off, while at the same time I'm OK playing historical games that have actual model Nazis in them.

I've been trying to put my finger on why that is - I think it has a lot to do with the person's motivation.

I think with Historicals, it's the need for a 'bad guy' and the fact that most historical players are interested in the equipment more than the ideology. Someone who walks into a FoW game with 2. SS Panzerkompanie is pretty innocuous. You actually have to talk to the person to figure out if they're some Nazi turd or someone who is fielding it for the sake of the historical value. (I only fielded German forces because my gaming group lost a lot of our German players, and because the owner was a power gaming dick who would field an army that my Italians were ineffective against.)

In 40k, there aren't any actual "space Nazi" factions, despite how the fluff describes one faction or another. There are fascist factions, yes, but none are out right Nazis. So, someone walking into a 40k match with an IG armored division modeled a little too exuberantly on, say, Peiper's Charge, it's quite jarring to say the least, and you know who you're dealing with right from the start.

(Not to say that the camo patterns used by the KTs and Panthers in Peiper's armored group wouldn't look good in 40k, but there's a difference between cribbing a livery and putting swastikas on everything).

e: I am a slow poster, posting slowly.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 19, 2014

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Panzeh posted:

Also even real deal nazi poo poo had an aesthetic that said "nazi" without necessarily going all out with the swastikas.

This. German tanks, even those in SS Divisions, weren't covered in swastikas. Hell, the Germans learned that big obvious markings make excellent targets when the Polish anti-tank gunners kept hitting their tanks in that exact spot! 40k is obviously meant to be over the top in it's premise and regalia, but if you want "German WWII" aesthetic without being "that guy" who puts swastikas on everything, why not just stick to basic German Field Gray or the classic trio of Dunkelgelb/Olivgrun/Rotbraun that adorned so many PIVs? Or you know what, don't paint loving space Nazis in a game that doesn't have space Nazis!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Indolent Bastard posted:

I have some recollection of the "artist" saying that the 40k empire of man was a fascist regime and so using nazi iconography seemed appropriate. Less, "Hitler had some good ideas", and more "fascists are fascists so why not use potentially offensive imagery"?

Which begs the question of, "why not use actual fascist iconography like the Italian fasces?" Why does it have to be Nazis? Why can't you reference WWII Germany without going head over heals into Nazi fetishism? Like I said in my previous posts, it is possible to build and paint an army that exudes the feel of WWII Germany without being "that Nazi guy". Use the camo schemes the Germans used, but use the Imperium's own iconography. Anyone with knowledge of historical gaming or WWII in general will be able to pick out the three-tone camo pattern fairly easily and you can be chummy chums. Don't make your tanks lumbering shrines to Hitler and Nazism.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Genghis Cohen posted:

I found that guy's conversions and followed his rough guide.

His still looks better. Balls.

As an aside, can you link to the guide? I want to look it over, maybe something to try my hand at if I ever decide to put together another GW model.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Len posted:

Is that how line of sight works in 40k? They base it off the model not the base size? Weird.

Been a while so I may be wrong, but for height, yes this is how it is. Because you have various units of different heights using the same bases. However, I thought for tourney play you had to still "silhouette" the original shape, in that, some significant part of the model must still show the original height and width of the model it is representing.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

I must be missing something? I mean, besides using green, which is more a Nurgle color than Slaanesh. Am I looking at the wrong thing?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

HardCoil posted:

Yeah, link is a bit broken, posting from a phone. Go to page 2.

Okay, yeah, I see what you mean. Wish I didn't, though.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

JcDent posted:

So, are FoW T-55s so far ahead of the curve (and thus expensive), or do they look better because some poor guy was locked in a basement before he painted the mini to look that good?

In a semi related matter, boy, do historical mini businesses hate updating websites and painting their own merchandise...

Battlefront (FoW) models generally look better from the outset, but like all companies run by former GW employees, they know the value of a good in-house painter. The person who painted the BF stock T-54/55 could make any of those other models look just as good, the only difference would be how much of the detail (and sometimes which details) is molded.

Also, about 90% of historical mini businesses are the same historical mini businesses that were running out of the same garage/tool shed/garden shed just outside of London in the 1970s, and have come great strides in their technological advances, such as now requiring you to place your orders by fax. You want pictures? You don't trust this fine craftsmanship? You can see the minis when you buy them!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Apollodorus posted:

In my opinion, it's very true to the premise, and executed with skill. It's hella gross, though, which is why I would just never want to do Chaos.

It is "true to premise" which is why I can almost forgive the tits. But the random green stuffed vags are right out. It's body horror, but being a table top game, it's probably best to leave the rated-R/NC-17 stuff at home. And there are other ways of showing this body horror. How come there are no faces? The best way of getting the same point across is to show the twisted, contorted, almost inhuman faces caused by the constant pain and pleasure being felt by the damned souls who have succumbed to this evil. Think of that one horror Japanese manga with the "This is my hole, it was made for me" except more about 'pleasure' than some weird suicide cult. The only reason this guy did t'n'a instead of faces and bodies is because he wanted to green stuff women's cootches instead of challenging himself in making humans look inhuman.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

JcDent posted:

So leave the default faces sexy miniatures comes with? :v:

And to think we criticized GW for their man faces, when in reality they were right all along.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

It's true. My models will never have that light, fluffy texture.

They achieved a rich, golden brown which is very difficult to do.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Vermintide posted:

Stumbled across this 'Danny Di vito' standard. The painting is fairly nice but I believe the question is 'why?'.

At least he didn't do Joe Pesci! I could only imagine an army of scrunts dwarves with his voice, and it is terrifying!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

FrostyPox posted:

This. Chaos Dwarves are short, angry, pudgy, evil, and probably always drunk.

Danny DeVito is short, pudgy, and in It's Always Sunny Taxi he's sometimes evil (though not always intentionally), often angry, and always drunk.

It makes perfect sense!

Kids these days act like television was invented in 2000.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 11, 2014

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Doctor Zero posted:

Wow why the vitriol? Some people just want to play. As long as they don't try to pass it off as their own for painting awards who cares?

It could just be he's trying to stir up poo poo. He made a pretty good mess of the grognards.txt thread.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Here's the cow that kicked the lantern:

osirisisdead posted:

Making any in-character decisions based on dice probability is a prime example of meta-gaming. It should be avoided.

I stopped paying attention to his posts when I saw "tryhard loser" used three times in the same post and in unironic fashion. There's about a good five or so pages of grog that I just skipped.
Trigger warning: dice grog arguments.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I decided to look up some classic unspiration, only to find it's been updated!

For those who know of them, and those who are new to them, meet The Fighting Tigers of Veda!

Welcome to the Jungle!
http://www.fightingtigersofveda.com/

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

LordAba posted:

This is both the best AND worse thing I have ever seen. Yeah it's horrible, but can you imagine the glee he felt putting this together? The simple joys of painting random brown splotes? The pride the owner must feel when he lays out his army?

Could you imagine how joyous it would be to play against this army? Here is a person that gets it.

I've noticed how progressive the Tigers of Veda have become. They now have men.

It's fun to poke at the conversions and paint (backwards Rhinos?), but I"m not going to sperg about how he's having fun the wrong way. In fact, I've grown to love the 'deviations from normal' that throw grogs into conniption fits and flame wars. To give credit where due, at least he didn't go full on "sausage of green stuff" titsmarines. He went "female marines with some Indian sounding mythos" based off one picture from White Dwarf back in the day, but unless someone can correct me, he doesn't seem to be "painting with one hand".

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
A palate cleanser, as this is something I would probably totally do if I got back into 40k:

Now back to the poo poo; someone turned this:
:nws:http://www.andreadepotusa.com/en/7/girls/701/girls/473/g-018-cybergirl.html#!prettyPhoto:nws:

Into this:

And I'm not sure how I should feel about that.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Z the IVth posted:

Does anyone have a source or DiY for this? I see land raider tracks and a Leman Russ glacis but I wonder if the rest is scratchbuilt.

Apparently, Land Raider tracks and "a few other GW bits...the core is built out of Legos with plasticard..." to paraphrase. Someone has asked him about a template, but it looks like the creator is looking to sell rather than share. He's working on an "A2" version of the turret and is looking to reduce GW parts; supposedly comes from some SD papercraft M1 Abrams model.

A link to the A2 turret build:
http://commissar.proboards.com/thread/18408/m1-cerberus-tank-turret-works

Oh, he calls it the "M1 Cerberus" if that helps track down a WIP of this.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Joe_Richter posted:

Great, now I can't unsee that.

Build one, paint it solid red. Build another, paint it solid blue. What other colors were there?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Colonial Air Force posted:

Because GW minis aren't expensive enough.

1: Buy spacemans
2: Gold plate spacemans
3: eBay, sell 24k gold-plated spacemans
4: become friends with Blue Table
5: Profit
6: ???

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Luebbi posted:

I love the Copyright notice on these.

Original Character Designs. No stealing!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

"pro painted"

I love this. I'm giggling like a 13 year old who just learned a new dirty word.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Hra Mormo posted:

His cock rages on.

Our flaming desire to have a goon cock army has been lifted up, only to be let down right before the proverbial climax. We are the blue balls of this flaming cock.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

HiveCommander posted:

I fire my... heh... darklance... at your Knight...

Roll for penetration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Attestant posted:

I don't even know what is going on here.

Oh, that's what happened to that tissue I carelessly littered back when I was 10 years old. Sorry, guys, had a sinus infection that year.