Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Slashrat posted:

Seeing Ming-Na Wen actually laughing out loud is so weird

I wish she was given a more human character to play on the actual show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Xtanstic posted:

I'm just glad for the complete absence of Skyward.

The preview image on the embedded video is literally a scene between Skye and Ward.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

XboxPants posted:

So AoS is gonna start up season 2 soon, and when it goes on break Agent Carter will jump in until AoS returns. And Daredevil is scheduled to start May 2015, around the time Agents of SHIELD ends its season.

So is Marvel planning on just having permanent MCU TV coverage from now until the end of time?

Daredevil is a Netflix show though, so the whole season drops all at once, unless you purposefully only limit yourself to one episode per week.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Javid posted:

At that point why don't they just make a movie instead of being crammed into an episodic format unnecessarily?

A 2 hour movie and a 12 hour series are kind of different. Unless you meant to propose multiple movies.

But a Netflix TV series could, in the future, be licensed by Disney to air on television if they felt like spending that money (they might depending on how popular things get and where Netflix is in 5 years) since it will already be formatted for TV.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

GaussianCopula posted:

Coulson looks really angry (angry face, arms crossed) while Skye looks like she is reaching for her gun and in a charging posture. I wonder what that means.

Considering we left off with him writing in an alien language, having displayed the exact kind of behavior we were warned about given his procedure....

Probably nothing! :v:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Xtanstic posted:

Based on the dramatic camera lingering on Xena's arm at the end, I believe that they will regrow her from her arm.

Was Simmons being AIM a popular fan theory or is that just a thing I read in this thread?

Some thought she was HYDRA due to that seen about "lying" and her saying something about getting better at it or something like that, I don't remember it exactly.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Vendetta posted:

I doubt they'll go into this level of detail (if they do, I'll be pleasantly surprised), but I imagine a Quinjet would take a lot less fuel to keep flying, too.

Considering Fury's new Heli-carriers had switched to Repulsor engines, probably true.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

Kept putting off watching the opening because I was so worried it would all turn right back to poo poo. So happy I was wrong :dance:

Also, the costume designers should get props (:haw:) for making a man wearing WWII body armour and bowler hat look not only believable, but actually good.

Well I imagine the costume designers from Captain America: The First Avenger had a pretty good budget, so yeah.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Dominic Cooper confirmed to reprise role as Howard Stark for Agent Carter.

http://screenrant.com/marvel-agent-carter-dominic-cooper-howard-stark/

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

Peggy said she married someone that Cap rescued, so you're safe there.

She didn't get married as soon as Cap hit the water. There is plenty of time for the show to bore us with her love life.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The episode was pretty alright for me outside of what's his face stealing the sniper rifle, running it all the way downstairs from perch Triplett had ready, through a crowd of people spooking them and blowing his cover, just so he could try to shoot Kreel from 20 feet away. That almost completely ruined the episode for me.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Jamesman posted:

Didn't they set that up though when planning the mission? Specifically saying they'd need to blast him in the face up close to put him down? That's why Hunter went down there for the shot instead of the sniper position.

I'm not sure why that distance would make a difference with a high-powered rifle, but at least it didn't come out of the blue.

All they mentioned was getting him by surprise (before he could armor up) and possibly using armor piercing rounds. I don't remember them mentioning having to shoot him up close as it had been repeatedly stated the the safest way to deal with him was to keep your distance.

Either way, it was a really tacky excuse to get Kreel chasing Hunter so that Coulson could use the device on Kreel.

On a different note, I hope they didn't blow their effects budget these two episodes because everything related to Kreel and the Obelisk has been pretty good.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

King Burgundy posted:

So now that the show is good, the ratings drop far enough that it gets cancelled, right? :(

Season 2 premiere was half of the season 1 premiere. :(

The ratings will probably never really improve. It burned away it's potential audience already and they are simply not realistically able to do the kind of stuff needed to bring that many people back (big stars with big cameos). I just hope it can coast along with the kind of ratings it has been getting. At least long enough for this whole 084/Coulson/Skye thing to be resolved.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

For the uninformed, what's the story here?

EDIT: vvv Thanks. So do they just not want people mixing it up with the MCU or what?

There is no reason for Disney to slap the Marvel brand on a kids animated movie that has no recognizable Marvel characters in it. Disney owns Marvel so it can choose to do what it pleases with Marvel properties. Marvel Studios' "goals", assuming it has any choice in the matter, are ultimately meaningless in the face of what Disney wants. Same goes for ABC. SHIELD is on ABC because Disney ultimately put it there, not because ABC had some kind of a say in the matter. Disney owns ABC and Marvel so it put a Marvel show on ABC because it has the potential to make money. SHIELD is part of the Marvel brand, so SHIELD doing poorly reflects poorly on the Marvel brand which hurts Disney. SHIELD may not be an advertisement for the MCU in the literal sense (what does that even mean? Does that mean every movie is an ad for the other movies?) but it is still a part of the brand and their branding strategy. That being said, that doesn't really mean it is safe. Marvel Studios had no problem sweeping The Incredible Hulk under the rug for the most part, so if AoS fails it would just get the same treatment. Also the fact that they are investing more money in Netflix projects than their ABC offerings is pretty telling. AoS isn't as much of an important piece of the MCU as some would like or hope.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Xtanstic posted:

I didn't know this. You got a link to more details?

http://screenrant.com/marvel-netflix-deal-tv-shows-daredevil-luke-cage-iron-fist-jessica-jones/

They greenlit Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones and a team up show called The Defenders for Netflix. That is about 60 episodes worth of shows greenlit outright for Netflix at a time when AoS hadn't been officially confirmed for a second season yet. Them announcing 60 episodes of content across 4 shows and a mini-series for Netflix when things seemed up in the air for AoS is indicative of AoS not really being a priority, at least at the time. Keep in mind that it is not at all unusual to announce that a show is picked up for more than one season, so them throwing cash at four other Marvel shows for Netflix and then waiting pretty long just to give AoS the 1 season pick up is kind of damning.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

If you look at the date its when they only aired 7 episodes. They also were having tie ins with the movie. They saw it as a great deal and did not show they did not care about Shield at all.

Shows have been picked up for additional seasons by that point before. Greenlighting 4 new shows for digital distribution and waiting until the very end of the season to announce the pick up for AoS shouldn't really be ignored or downplayed. If Disney was going to be super aggressive with AoS as a part of their plans, it probably would have been picked up for a second season way earlier than it was.

Now obviously it was picked up, and even expanded a bit with Agent Carter serving to fill the hiatus gap, so who knows, maybe their ABC offerings might end up being of much more significance. But with a bunch of other shows right around the corner, losing their broadcast stuff would hardly put them in a bind, especially if people just aren't interested in watching. Honestly, I could see AoS just ending up going digital before getting outright cancelled, especially if Daredevil and friends ends up being a success.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

howe_sam posted:

Except Netflix doesn't announce viewership numbers, so we'll never know just how successful they are. Though they might share the info internally to Disney, but up to this point they've kept that close to the vest with everyone.

The general public not knowing the metrics of success for a given show at Netflix has absolutely no effect on its actual success or how that effects their development strategy going forward...

AbsolutelySane posted:

ABC never announces pick-ups early. They always have their announcements at the end of the season. You'll notice that no ABC show was picked up early. It means absolutely nothing.

Well then I was wrong about that. I still think that it is safe to say that if AoS ratings are lower than average for the network and the Netflix shows end up being considered hits, we might see AoS switch over. This will mean a much shorter season, but at least the show would continue.

Of course none of that matters if the ratings improve on ABC or at least settle at a number that they are ok with.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

howe_sam posted:

No, I get that, but Netflix doesn't share their numbers with anyone. It's been a bone of contention between Netflix and programmers for a while now.

The article doesn't seem to mention exactly who these programmers are. Are talking about the companies that make House of Cards and Orange is the New Black, etc? Or are they talking about the companies that put their shows on Netflix after they have aired? Those are two extremely different things. One group would be producing content exclusively for Netflix, while the other is negotiating re-distribution of content available on home video. It seems they mean the latter. Disney is contracted to provide original content, in addition to some exclusivity for the streaming rights to their films. If they are having people produce content for them and not telling them the value of that content, that is hilariously scumbaggy.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

To Big Hero 6. They aren't even reprinting the older comics.

Did Marvel produce anything for Frozen or Wreck it Ralph, especially before either film came out? It is not relevant that Marvel has old comics that this is adapted from. When Disney makes an animated film, it is expected to be a franchise unto itself for all intents and purposes. If Disney is taking the movie in a different direction from the original book, then it will do nothing but hurt the brand identity for them to advertise/reprint the old version of it. There is a reason why on the official materials for the movie that "From the creators of Frozen/Wreck it Ralph" is stressed much more heavily than "Based on a Marvel comic" and why Marvel Comics isn't plastered all over the posters/official website/etc.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Um, being Shooty McBowman is kind of Hawkeye's thing. He's just as dumb as Green Arrow, only he hashad a purple Wolverine mask. Also, he has no drug addict sidekick.

Having said that, Jeremy Renner was in Hansel and Gretel, he can't be that expensive.

Him being in Hansel in Gretel has nothing to do with anything. He signed a multi-picture deal with Disney. He's expensive.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I actually did hear/read a rumor that they either weren't going to use their real names, or they were using their code names. Now I can't remember which. I feel like it was around the same time the info that they were not going to be inhumans hit the web.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

The Inhumans are not going to be introduced to the MCU on this show so long as Marvel is even considering a film. Deal with it.

Or instead of making pointless concrete declarations for no reason, we could be a bit more rational and guess that the group known as "The Inhumans" will not debut on the show, but the general "race" might in some capacity do so, even if they aren't named inhumans until after a movie does so. We've already had Kree named dropped and likely shown on the show months before Kree popped up in a movie.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

Well, that leads to my other question: why do fans of SHIELD, the Inhumans, or the MCU in general think this would be a good idea, exactly? If Inhumans are introduced as a concept independently of Attilan or the classic Royal Family characters, wouldn't that only serve to dilute the significance of the latter when they're introduced? And on the SHIELD end of things, wouldn't it make for absolutely terrible storytelling to introduce a mysterious race of beings whose origins and motivations can't really be explained at all for at least another three years (since there's no room in Marvel's release slate for an Inhumans film until 2017)? The whole Skye 084 thing has already been dragged out enough since the reveal halfway through S1, frankly.*

It won't happen. I mean, I won't say it absolutely couldn't. But I really doubt it.

*lest someone misinterpret that: I don't mean that we don't yet know everything about her backstory; I mean that we've really gotten nothing at all since then except some incredibly cryptic teases, and nothing has actually happened onscreen to reflect the notion that she's anything but a genetically and biologically normal human being

I don't understand why you think the full reveal would have to happen this season. TV shows with mysteries are kind of built on the idea that it would take multiple seasons for the full mystery to be explained. There is more than enough time for the show to set up genetic tampering, experimentation by aliens, and all the backstory stuff involving inhumans without going very deep into it, and allowing a movie to properly introduce them at some point within the next couple of seasons or so.

Of course, there is a very realistic chance that this has nothing to do any alien race, but for now, things are definitely pointing toward that since Skye has shown no negative effect from receiving the alien transfusion so far and her dad seems to know about the seemingly alien artifact that seems to have Kree stuff on it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Javid posted:

I'd rather they got to it this season than dick along with it forever and risk getting canceled before they wrap it up.

Oh I agree completely. I hate being dragged along, but if history is worth anything, they probably will drag things out, for many different reasons. I just hope that the show lasts long enough, in any form, to tell a relatively complete story.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

If the writers feel comfortable introducing a character like Absorbing Man without any explanation whatsoever of his origins, and can't touch Attilan or the classic characters, why exactly would they need or want Terrigenesis as a catch-all explanation for superpowers in the first place?

It fills the void left by a lack of mutants. It doesn't necessarily replace mutants, but it fills the gap by providing the MCU with people born with powers on Earth as opposed to getting them by accident. Absorbing Man isn't the first person on the show who had powers of unknown origin. It's clearly a mystery the show is building up to explaining, so it isn't like they are just throwing these characters in there and going "no no we aren't interested in explaining their origins." Their origins are part of the mystery, the very mystery that seems to be central to this season's plot.

To reiterate, I doubt that the show outright say "Skye you are a member of the subspecies known as inhumans, who were part of a Kree experiment!" I think it is somewhat likely that the show reveals that an alien race has tampered with a bunch of people genetically and gave them the ability to manifest powers, and that this will be revealed to more or less tie into whatever Inhuman stuff they do later in the movies. Once it happens in the movies, assuming the show survives that long, then they might start referring to inhumans more and "gifteds" less. I think we will still be left speculating exactly what is going on though, even though most comic readers will probably get it already. Kind of like what is going on with The Flash TV show.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Scorch didn't have his powers explained did he? The whole point of Raina looking for special, gifted people with hidden potential is already a running mystery. Right now he was simply designated as a gifted, but its pretty clear that this isn't very special to SHIELD at this point as they have no reason to suspect anything other than some weird science experiment giving powers at this point.

If anything it was kind of bad writing that they weren't more interested in how he got his ability, but it is possible that they didn't want to write themselves into a corner by beating the audience over the head with the fact that he possibly gained powers in ways that they are just not ready to go into yet.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Boogaleeboo posted:

The real thing is why the gently caress Kree blood would make some dudes write crazy alien writing and open their mind to whack rear end cosmic secrets. Kree are just people really. Some are blue, some are pink, but they are just dudes. No real reason as it stands that pumping random people with their blood would make you suddenly cosmically aware of all sorts of crazy poo poo.

True, but we also don't know exactly wtf the deal with that particular corpse is. Perhaps he himself was not normal, in some way.

Barry Convex posted:

Oh, I was forgetting that episode. But I think there was at least a line about him acquiring powers through some industrial accident, no?

According to the wiki, his powers merely manifested one day, which eventually lead to some kind of accident. They never explained where his powers actually came from. You were right about Blackout, since he got his in a lab accident or something like that. I was more thinking of Scorch specifically though, as he was involved with Raina.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Wouldn't that mean AoS rating are even lower than they already are? Last episode was apparently a series low, unless its been adjusted up again.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The problem with using an internet styled "just count the views" thing is that it doesn't account for demographics at all. At least not the way TVs are currently set up. The only way it could work is, if in the opt in process, you had to create profiles for each potential viewer in the household that had their age and sex, and then you would have to find a way to make it so that each person could be ID'd when they start switching channels/turn the TV on. That could be some kind of thing they press to quickly "log in" or something like that.

The raw numbers alone aren't that helpful because they need to know who that ad space is going to be valuable for. A car company isn't going to want to pay big bucks for ad space on a show that only kids watch. A toy company that makes action figures isn't going to be interested in spending money during a show aimed at women, etc.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Republican Vampire posted:

Actually, if you have a Kinect it can totally count people and estimate things like gender and age pretty accurately. Microsoft has a patent on using this for billing on streaming film, but they've never implemented it because the internet found out and pointed out how creepy it'd be.

Counting how many people are in the room is different than getting demographic info for them. And considering the backlash against the Kinect 2.0, I doubt anyone would try to implement anything like that any time soon.

It would really only need to be as complicated as an app that tagged you to your box/smartTV/device, or to join a "party" for group views. That way they get their demo info, and no new crazy hardware needs to be developed since tons of things already support apps. It's just apps connecting with each other and people tagging themselves as watching a device when its on. It would be no different than the journals, other than you don't need people to submit anything and they don't need to sit down and write anything. Since it is completely digital you could have way more people participating as well.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

There is no reason for her to leave the show if she has powers. Disney is taking it easy for now, but if having a super powered person on the team proves popular, then they will have a super powered person on the team. There is literally not a single reason for why they couldn't have a powered character in the main cast.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Inhumans and Captain Marvel have been officially announced as phase 3 films for 2018 (back to back.)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

An Inhumans movie could easily be about the global emergence of the phenomenon as compared to the isolated cases being created through individual exposure.

It could also specifically focus on the Black Bolt and his circle of friends/enemies, while the concept of the Inhuman subspecies could be lightly explored before that film.

I kind of wish they treated AoS like the movies. We get roadmaps with the movies that make me, and a bunch of my friends, very excited. With AoS you get nothing. You never know where the season is going or what may be coming down the pipe, which makes it hard to feel hyped about anything. That being said, I'm much more engaged this season than last, and I am actively anticipating each new episode. I just wish it were offering just a bit more.

Flash is a good example. The pilot offered enough information to tease where they are going without spoiling anything and I am pretty hyped to see those things they teased. I have no idea what the Obelisk is, or what Skye and her dad are supposed to be, which makes it hard to be excited because it could be anything, including something boring and lame.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Deadpool posted:

The writing is the blueprint for the Penny Can!

I'm glad someone else was as amused by this casting as I was.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Teek posted:

If they decide to remove it from ABC, I wonder if Disney would be willing to work a Netflix-type deal with future seasons of Peggy Carter/SHIELD with someone like Amazon. They could still do the weekly release and ensure there's a tie in for the movies still running.

Disney worked a massive deal with Netflix that will have a ton of its movies and shows on their service, plus five exclusive Marvel series. If Disney pulls AoS off of ABC (because they can make more money in the time slot with something else) then it will likely end up on Netflix if they are going to bother keeping up with it at all.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I think they showed that scene because the internet was constantly asking if Howard Stark was going to be in the show.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Also Arrow and Flash are about actual comic book characters so somethings from comics can legit spoil potential story lines since they are lifted straight from them. We don't even know what kind of alien stuff we are dealing with here yet or what the "city" exactly is.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

JT Smiley posted:

I love how even when he does something good Ward still managed to kill an innocent bystander just because.

Who was the bystander? The bartender? I feel like that was a Hydra bar or something.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Deakul posted:

Wow, just because they work at a Hydra bar doesn't make them a terrible person. :colbert:

I thought Simmons' pal at the Hydra lab wasn't going to be a bad fellow but then he was all gleeful about genocide so I have adjusted my expectations accordingly. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

LeafyOrb posted:

I'd like to think that's how Hydra agents actually answer the phone.

"Hail Hydra! Pizza? Sorry you have the wrong number"

They probably have their own pizzeria at this rate.

• Locked thread