Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

AHH FUGH posted:

I don't understand people who put phones in their pockets. It's just begging to get dust, lint, scratches and abrasions in the phone.

They're neckbeard monsters is what I'm saying.

At some point during the past couple of years I finally realized that these things are meant to be used, and they're even designed to be slightly abused, not protected like Fabergé eggs. I took it out of the case, put it in my pockets, and more or less treat it like a handy device that I'm realistically going to replace every two years. Apple Care is available if the thought of damaging your pocket computer gives you unreasonable anxiety. I wouldn't want to walk around with a cracked screen for a year, so it's nice to know I can replace it relatively cheaply if need be.

I don't say this to smarmy but it honestly greatly improved my enjoyment of the iPhone 5 after treating my 3GS and 4 like newborn babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Yeah I've got connectivity problems with wifi AND cellular (6+, iOS 8.xx). Hard reboots only solve it for anywhere from a minute to several hours. Hopefully this is all related to the lovely new update and will be patched soon. To be honest I'm considering going back to my iPhone 5 in the meantime, it's really that bad and it blows to leave the house and suddenly find your smartphone won't connect to the internet reliably.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I know we've talked about the "Other" data problem to death here, but it's anyone else finding theirs far worse on iOS 8 and/or the new iPhones?

I set mine up as a brand new iPhone, and it had roughly 1GB out-of-the-box. Restored only my contacts from iCloud, downloaded my usual apps, and within a day it was up to 2GB. The past couple of weeks it's climbed up to 3GB. I unplugged it from iTunes tonight, remembered I wanted to put a video on, plugged it back in, and it had gone from 3.06GB to 3.14GB instantly. Before the switch I would see it slowly climb over the course of a month, but it's happening daily.

While I appreciate the inevitable helpful suggestions, I've already restored, deleted email/MMS accounts, manually managed music, iFunbox'd, PhoneClean'd, etc etc. For those of us cursed with this problem there's no easy solution. Kind of just wondering if others are seeing this as well.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
You say you doubt it's the jailbreak but that is glaringly the most obvious culprit.

edit: sorry, for clarity that was directed at Feenix.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 15, 2014

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Feenix posted:

I have a 2 year old so I wash my hands approximately eleventy-billion times a day. And I mean, I wipe the sensor down with microfiber from time to time. I figure if it was dirty it most likely would at least occasionally have trouble with my index finger. It never does... just my 2 thumbs. And only after working just fine for several days. Very peculiar.

I'm an OCD clean-freak and I've totally given up on Touch ID. No matter what I do, what Internet advice I follow, it works roughly half of the time. I've seen enough reports of people with similar problems that I think there may be a hardware issue with certain devices.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Why does iTunes say I have 877 photos on my iPhone 6+? I legit have 97 in my Camera Roll, 487 in the Recently Deleted folder. I do not have iCloud photo sync or whatever enabled.

edit: deleted everything in the "Recently Deleted" folder, still at 390 according to iTunes. ~300 ghost photos.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 7, 2014

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
So basically who the gently caress knows, right? Depends on how your iPhone lands when your butterfingers drop it.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Updated to 8.1.3 and for some reason all my music re-synced (not a ton of music on my iPhone, ~5GB). Afterwards, a bunch of album art doesn't show. Deleted, re--synced, it's all "manually managed" for what it's worth. Still no album art (on selected albums, seemingly without rhyme or reason). Solutions?

Also, I posted this a long time ago, never got an answer or solution: My iTunes shows like 5GB of photo data on my iPhone, with roughly double the amount of photos that are actually on the device (this includes "recently deleted", so we're talking about a ton of phantom photos). Anything?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

noirstronaut posted:

ALL GLASS SCREEN PROTECTORS ARE THE SAME

Technically when it comes to the 6/6+ some of them cover the whole screen while some of them don't.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Just to jump on the dogpile, a glass screen protector is drat near invisible. You could probably make a case that it is invisible. IMO there's almost no reason not to use one considering how many anecdotal reports there are of scratched up screens.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I manually manage my music and such on my iPhone 6 Plus (current version iOS whatever). Plug it in every night, usually to add a few videos through iTunes. Roughly once a week, after doing so, for some reason ALL music/audiobooks are deleted. I have a few gigs of audio stuff I just keep on there at all times without changing it, and this happens without my even touching the audio content menu. I just pull the music app on the commute, and *poof* it's all gone. It's really loving annoying when I haven't so much as breathed on those menus. Any help?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

tofes posted:

I used a 6+ for a week and I have no idea how anyone could use it one handed.

Seems like it might be a problem of definition in addition to man-child hands. IMO it's perfectly "usable" one-handed but there is occasionally poo poo on the opposite side of the screen that just doesn't register your stretching touch.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Why does this restriction exist in the first place, seeing as how it's obviously confusing some (probably) significant portion of the user base?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
So my wife and I each have an iPhone (Softbank Japan is the provider). Whenever someone texts us or calls us it shows up on both of the drat iPhones. Separate numbers of course. I don't necessarily want her reading all of my texts. Wtf?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

noirstronaut posted:

You're both probably using the same Apple ID for Messages

Would this account for the shared phone calls though?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

GobiasIndustries posted:

I think it would; I can take calls on my iPad if my iPhone is around since they're both signed into the same Apple ID for messaging. The iPad doesn't show voicemails but I do get the notifications for missed calls.

Many thanks, I'll turn on Home Sharing.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Since owning an iPhone 6+ since launch, my battery has understandably gone to poo poo. Same if not less daily usage, runs to 0% before nightfall. Not impressed with the current offerings, I decided to just upgrade the battery and wait another year or two if possible.

Got to the juice stand, they run analytics on my iPhone, and tell me the battery is still showing 91% capacity from new?!? I explain that can't possibly be true, they try to "teach" me how certain apps can delete battery life, etc. Eventually they say in rare cases in can be a logic board issue, which necessitates a new iPhone.

Anyone else run into this? I'm not particularly interested in buying a NEW 6+, so it would seem like it or not an 8+ is in my future.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I've got an iPhone 6+ in great shape, no real problems. Use it for everything, particularly taking pictures of my 3yr old. I have course have a fancy camera for special events, but day-to-day, I'm taking pictures of him with the iPhone.

From a little digging around the net, it seems as though the differences between the 6+ rear camera and even the X aren't STUNNINGLY different.

If my main reason to move up would be to improve picture quality, is it even worth it? And to which model? Please keep in mind I'm also one of those luddites who is unreasonably upset the 3.5mm audio jack is gone.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Thanks to everyone for the camera advice. Upgrading to an 8+. :)

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Why does my newly updated 8+ turn off cellular data every morning? I have "Do Not Disturb" off, etc. Went through a bunch of settings and can't figure this one out.

Of course after five days of this I'm still surprised every morning when nothing loads up.:ohdear:

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
How far back do they do replacements? I've got an iPad 3 I still use on the regular in desperate need of one.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Pivo posted:

Either way, it's doable, but it's more difficult than walking into a store and paying for a new battery.

drat, just missed it. Thanks for the info.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
IPhone playlist question:

So I'd like to add a some playlists to my iPhone, but I don't want the albums they're from to show up in album view, because I'll suddenly have a couple hundred of one-song "albums" to wade through in order to browse mt actual full-length albums.

But I've found that if I delete the album name from music in the playlists, it also deletes the album name from my actual library collection. This is something I don't want of course.

Is there a way to add a playlist that won't populate my artists/albums categories with hundreds of one-off songs?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Settings->Music->Add Playlist songs

Turn that off

Thanks for this, but where is it located? Couldn't seem to find it either on my iPhone or in iTunes.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Proteus Jones posted:

Open the Settings app on the iPhone.

Scroll down to Music

Select Music and turn this slider off:

Huh, I'm on the current build and don't have this option... :shrug:

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It only shows up if you have iCloud music library (shown at the very bottom there) on. That may be why.

But it’s not going to solve your problem, I don’t think.

Just for kicks, how do I turn iCloud music library on? I went into iCloud settings and didn't find an option for music.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I’m still on an 8+ (really like the button) and it’s amazing that I’m getting such a larger screen in a smaller phone with the 12 Pro.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
So if I have mp3s on my phone I didn’t rip (I’m sure there must be some in there), what happens when I try to restore? Should I just dump all the music off the phone before backup, or is it something I can just wait out...

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I would have downsized all the way to a Mini if it had the better camera. Enjoying the ~slight~ size difference of the 12 Pro however. My pants have wear marks on the pockets where I kept the old one.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Music I purchased outside of iTunes (such as through Bandcamp and Google Play Music before the latter got shut down).

I don’t know about mp3s purchased elsewhere, but matching my library to Apple Music hosed up a bunch of my metadata. Could be stuff that wasn’t in the database when I converted it though.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I know people kind of hate on them, but I’ve been using the Otterbox Commuter series for years now. I had a Spigen on my 12 Plus until the Otterbox arrived, and honestly the difference in size isn’t particularly noticeable.

It grips well and I can throw it against a brick wall. Personally if I’m gonna use a case at all it better offer something significant in terms of protection. Otherwise I’d just go naked.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I’m at least as dumb as you, because I’ve wanted that for years as well. Game changer. In front of our eyes all along.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

MarcusSA posted:

Refurb Beats X for $19

drat, took a nap for an hour and missed this. Thanks for posting it though!

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

EL BROMANCE posted:

If it makes you feel better I clicked the link out of curiosity maybe 30 minutes after it was posted, and it was sold out then too.

It actually does, thanks.

Played around with the 12 Pro Max today and really pleased I went with the 12 Pro now. drat that’s one helluva big phone. Side-by-side it doesn’t seem that different, but in my hands it was nearly unusable. To each his own.

Maneki Neko posted:

They are $39.99 new at Best Buy right now, which is not terrible for something with a W1 chip

Thanks for this! These AirPods are too small for ears and I’ve been yearning to get back to Beats.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I bought the Pro because I have twin toddlers and I’m constantly taking pictures of them. The ultra wide lens rules, especially for portrait mode. I don’t have to be 8 feet away from them to get real good portrait pics of them.

I did this too for the same reason. I would’ve jumped up to the Max for the extra camera features but that thing is gigantic. 12 Pro isn’t “the best” camera available but it’s a good step up from the regular 12. Night mode works well.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Laserface posted:

remember those light-field cameras that would let you change the focus point post-shot?

its like that, except Apple gives you limited control over how the bokeh effect is applied.

if you get the Focos App, it lets you view the pixels in 3D space and then adjust the front/back focus independently, including 'painting' in what parts should be in focus and whats not.

I remember when those came out and I really wanted one but never picked it up. Even if Focos cheats it's way to get there, thanks for this recommendation.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Perplx posted:

I was thinking the AirPods Max’s real killer app might be as “spacial audio” for an Apple vr headset. There are better stereo phones but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Max’s were the best headphones for vr and Dolby atmos.

Sorry for the tangent:
I have a pair of AT AD700s. Is there a mid-range
consensus for spacial audio. I use Dolby Atmos for headphones every nigh.

For content, some people aren’t fans, but I still really dig MKBHD’s initial takes on stuff. https://youtu.be/UdfSrJvqY_E

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

buglord posted:

Sorry to continue the derail. I have those exact headphones and have been using them off and on for 9 years. Is dobly atoms really that much better on them? I just use the default windows sound settings and equalizer but I’m not sure if I’m missing some other goodness.

I would have PMd but you don’t have that feature :shobon:

I’ll buy PMs later today and we can take it there.

The Measurements app is really pretty incredible (at least on the 12 Pro). I’m going around measuring everything and everyone. No real reason. It did 100% help me figure out exactly how big of a new TV buy. I’ve never heard of tape measures before you ask.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Gonna go ahead and ask a question I think I already know the answer to; is there any way to stop with all these “Your iCloud storage is full!” alerts?

I usually sign up when I get a new iPhone, then cancel after transferring everything. Really don’t need/want the service all year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Protocol7 posted:

I mean you can configure things that are backed up to iCloud, and go in and delete things in iCloud in Settings.app. Tap on your name/profile at the very top, tap into iCloud, uncheck everything/go into the storage details to see a storage breakdown. On most categories in the breakdown, you can tap on it and select "Disable & Delete" to stop syncing that type of data and purge it from iCloud. Might be best to only leave iPhone backups on if that's all you really care about.

Thanks, seems like a good workaround.