Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I thought it was pretty cool. I did the :jerkbag: motion at the start basically reiterating the concept of the Silence and the Doctor apparently having never encountered, say, a chameleon or a stick insect. But the creepy scenes were really good, especially when the Doctor was talking about the hidden creatures showing themselves to the last person alive in the universe and such. I didn't like the dating poo poo, and Clara's little speech at the end didn't resonate with me, but I didn't come out the other side thinking the whole thing had wasted my time. Although it also didn't convince me that Steven Moffat can still write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I sort of get a trading-faux-barbs kind of affectionate vibe from the constant put-downs, or that that's what they're trying to convey anyway. Clara seems to get annoyed by them but it's not wearing down her self-esteem and she insults him as well, though I don't remember any about his looks. I imagine they'll taper off as he regains his heroism and all that throughout the series. Can but hope, as I'm also not a fan of them. With many writers you could debate whether there's misogynistic feelings behind jokes like that, but when you're talking about a guy who's already demonstrated misogyny in his writing a bunch of times it's pretty hard to avoid being biased.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

That seemed kind of half-baked, and most of the story was just the characters walking down hallways until the monster turned up. The Doctor kept saying he hated the Architect and it rang hollow because there didn't seem to be much reason to hate him, there just wasn't enough setup to make that payoff at the end worth it. The ending reveal of what the heist was actually about was quite sweet though, and it made me laugh that in this incredibly advanced space bank they were keeping the alien chained up in a dungeon with straw all over the floor.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Gally posted:

This episode really felt like at least a 90 minute story crammed into a normal length. Things were just introduced so fast you blink and miss them
That reminds me: I was really confused when the Doctor threw that teleporter to the chameleon woman and they all acted like she was about to die, because I heard them referred to as an "exit strategy" but evidently missed the bit where it was established that we're meant to think they're suicide devices.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I missed the first time he says it, but I caught him repeating it when he was about to use the thing himself. By that point it was clear that you're meant to think they're suicide devices despite them clearly being teleporter devices.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

That was my favourite Capaldi episode yet. I liked the jokes and bickering, a bit of character drama, it didn't feel rushed and the concept wasn't too silly for me to roll with. If the rest are half this strong this could end up being a pretty good season.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

I literally did not realise that was Ollie Reed until the AV Club pointed it out. He looks and acts like a completely different person!

Now I am going monkey brain insane over Chris Addison.

I didn't recognise him at all and had to google it when I saw people in this thread saying it. I think the lack of glasses threw me off. I feel dumb because when I saw him I thought "wouldn't it be funny if they got Ollie from Thick Of It to play that guy".

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

quote:

You can tell he's not a PE teacher because he didn't use the fosbury flop

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Mr Beens posted:

Except that since the Time War (i.e. the revivial) the dctor has interacted with soldiers literally dozens of times that we have seen but, until Capaldi, he has never been outright hostile to an individual guy just because of his occupation (or former occupation). In fact we have seen the doctor working with soldiers in an amicable fashion loads of times.
Being a dick to the guy and not trusting him before getting to know him is fair enough, but they are laying on this "I hate soldiers, blahghblahg" thing to thick and it has come out of nowhere.

Apart from this I am really enjoying Capaldi doctor :)

I didn't even get that much of a "I hate soldiers grrgghhhaaaghhh" vibe from him. When he first met Danny he was casually snarky like "oh so you were a soldier? Heh, meathead :smug:" which is pretty much standard operating procedure for Capaldi so far. he wasn't hostile until Danny hosed up his plan and was revealed as Clara's boyfriend, at which point there was obviously a bit more wrapped up in his attitude than "he's a soldier"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I wasn't crazy about the egg plot but it was all worth it for the last five minutes. I remember back in Moffat's second series I thought there was a recurring theme of Amy realising the Doctor isn't perfect- he fails to save her daughter, he does that weird betraying thing with her older self, and he does whatever in that minotaur episode- which would lead to her leaving him behind and going back to the real world to live life as a grown-up. Then instead the Doctor popped her out of the Tardis and peaced out, and it felt like a cop-out, like Moffat couldn't bring himself to hurt the Doctor's feelings by writing a scene where his companion leaves him. This week a scene like that finally came, and I'm thrilled. I hope the overall arc is good because I'm a fan of the setup they're doing so far.

Speaking of worst episodes... Let's Kill Hitler resolved a plot arc with the parents of a kidnapped infant learning that they would never get her back.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I don't really want Moffat to leave so much as I want him to be good again. His first series was better than any of RTD's, and whatever the hell happened that made that one so good as opposed to a constant downward slide in quality like the following two, I want that to happen again. Maybe with a female script editor to take out lines like "a mystery shrouded in an enigma wrapped in a skirt that's too tight" or whatever the gently caress

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Moffat has tried his damnedest to pound into a round hole
Hell, haven't we all?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

- Danny, in a later scene: "You're never finished with someone while they can still make you angry. [?tell him wiffle car], then tell me".
"Tell him when you're calm." I don't remember what the Doctor says but the gist of it was "not to mention,"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I don't know who saw the first episode open with a dinosaur the size of Big Ben and didn't realise this was going to be the year of rolling with ridiculous implausible stuff.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Abortions don't generally take place right as the baby is about to be born. If anything it'd be a metaphor for a complicated, painful birth where it may be necessary to kill the baby in order to save the mother.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Android Blues posted:

I have very mixed feelings about Let's Kill Hitler. On one hand, I love the idea of a way more reckless time traveller than the Doctor just being like "oh, let's run and kill Hitler, then!". I also like Mels! But River transforming from "Amy and Rory's devil-may-care friend" to "evil assassin" to "adoring fangirl" in the course of one episode that mostly takes place in the same room just feels like way too much.

Having the same character attempt to murder, and then sacrifice their eternal life for, the Doctor within the course of about twenty minutes of sitting around talking is a narrative stretch that really does not function in the episode.
Nobody ever has the same problem with that episode that I do: the plot arc involving Rory and Amy's kidnapped baby is resolved with them knowing beyond a doubt that they will never get her back, and they don't mind. I guess that's my "and it lays another moon as it leaves"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Kids love people's skulls getting melted by monsters.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I can only assume so, but you never know with Doctor Who these days. It might just be something they left open for possible future story potential.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Hermit crab Tardis! This episode is rad.
The Doctor dragging himself along by his little scuttling fingers while that heroic music played has got to be the funniest thing in this series so far.

I haven't liked Doctor Who this much since Moffat's first year, which I still think was brilliant. The next two series are, well, best not talked about, but after a rocky start this series is getting better with each episode and I'm about ready to consider it a return to form. I just hope the Missy stuff is going somewhere entertaining.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

There was that rear end in a top hat in Voyage of the Damned who survived, wasn't there? Or have I got things confused?

Voyage Of The Dammed even had the same comment addressed to the fourth wall about how he's not who you'd have picked to survive, is he?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Solaris Knight posted:

I think what we need to realize about the whole hearing voices and medication thing is context. Yes, in an ordinary situation where someone is hearing voices and having nervous tics, you should give them medication.

When a alien scientist from a powerful race of psychics can scan someone's mind and determine that their disorder is helpful to saving the planet and was trauma based rather than a severe problem, that's another barrel of fish entirely.
You'd need to have some lines of dialogue to make it clear this was a special circumstance.
"Brain pills?! Will you people never learn?"
"What do you mean? Medication can help people with serious mental problems, we can't just assume everyone who's hearing voices is actually a space wizard who's going to save the planet, that's ridiculous."
"Well... Yeah, but in this case that's true, so don't give her the pills until I've done this magic wand poo poo."
There wasn't anything like that, the Doctor just scoffs at the idea of mental health medication and nobody calls him on it except the horrible little girl who responded to a maths problem with something like "why is 7 being taken away from 9, did 9 do something wrong?"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

What exactly is the objection to the start of Listen? Obviously there are creatures that evolved to hide, but he meant something with a disguise so perfect that there's no way you'd ever know it's there if it didn't want to be seen. The Silent were kindof able to mimic this ability, but their disguises had some weaknesses that were revealed during season 6.
For me it was mainly the word "hiding". It's such a weirdly basic word to be coming out of the mouth of a smart character, what's wrong with "camouflage" or something. Plus there isn't even any acknowledgment of something like a stick insect or the thousands of animals which scuttle between hiding places under your feet every day, he just jumps straight to "there is perfect defence, as demonstrated by this puffer fish, but there are no hide-gooding animals in the universe!"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I was a big fan of Moffat's first finale, but they got weaker when he started cramming them into one episode. Name Of The Doctor had a good atmosphere but the story was a mess, and the less said about Time Of The Doctor the better. Hopefully with more room to breathe this one will come close to the generally decent standard of this series so far.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Well Manicured Man posted:

Yes, that's stupid and bad, but have you also considered that

1. It's hilarious

2. There is no 2

I agree, I laughed my head off at that.

I do like a few things about that episode:the gradual reveal that the Doctor and Churchill have been fighting a horde of Silence while chatting (though I think the "one tally mark on the arm, phew it's fine, look at other arm and it's covered in tally marks" thing had already been done), Dorium is good, and I love the reveal of how the Doctor survived: "actually, thinking about it..."

I didn't like two main things:
The Doctor marries River for no reason. Or possibly because it's a way to make her do what he wants. Neither interpretation is good.

Also, the Silence wanted to kill the Doctor but made no effort to lure him to the place they needed him to be at the time they needed him to be there. The Doctor only knew about Lake Silencio because he was actively investigating the plot against him. I can't imagine a sloppier assassination plan.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

How is it possible to remember Angels In Manhattan? I scrubbed that episode out of my mind as soon as I could.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Didn't he also die in The Wedding of River Song holding off a horde of Silence, or did he survive that one?

No, the Silence made a fourth-wall-breaking speech about how he keeps dying and then Amy shot them all.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The wallpaper in that guy's flat in The Lodger is the same pattern as the title sequence of Coupling. All part of Moffat's master plan.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Burkion posted:

Because THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE loving ROBOTS AND gently caress HANDLES FOR THAT.

This episode is millions of times better than last week, but I have no real reaction until I know what's up with the Cybermen.

Also is the Master really just going to call herself Mistress now? MASTER IS A GENDER NEUTRAL TERM.

It's pretty much common parlance that "master" is masculine and "mistress" is feminine, whether that's etymologically true or not.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Well that's certainly not an impression I want to get from a cyborg.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

He also gave Robin Hood the finger. That episode redeems itself

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

A nurse isn't a female doctor.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Mo0 posted:

I can't find any pictures of it, but I know that red phone booth has shown up multiple times this season. That's the Mistress's TARDIS, isn't it?
No, red phone booths are extremely common in Britain.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I'm sold on the red phone box Tardis after hearing that there isn't really one there. I remember a conspicuous looking phone box last week too. It would be cool if there were phone boxes in the background of other episodes looking out of place, but if there was one in Sherwood or on the moon some mad fan would have pointed it out and screencapped it by now.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

spog posted:

Red phone boxes are TV shorthand for 'England'

Same as how every window in Paris has a view of the Eiffel Tower, so I wouldn't read too much into that.

Besides, what kind of Master of Evil travels in a time machine that stinks of piss and has advertising cards for prostitutes stuck up in it?
You don't need to use TV shorthand for "England" in a show that's made for English audiences.

Edit: though needing to confirm to his English audience that the scene is in fact taking place in England would not be the most bizarre decision Moffat has ever made.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

spog posted:

It's an easy way to show viewers from Mexico/S.Korea/Iran, etc that they have moved from what they thought was the Afterlife (anywhere/anywhen in the universe) to modern day London.

I don't think Moffat would use something as obvious as a red telephone box for the Master. It's terribly unimaginative.

I'm beginning to think Moffat is some kind of alien entity which feeds off people dismissing plot twists as being too obvious. Doctor Who has been a banquet for him.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Well it was certainly better than Time Of The Doctor. I was definitely expecting more of a puzzle box though; I rewatched Dark Water thinking "ooh, this long scene with the dream patch that must be setting it up for later, ooh the water makes non-organic matter invisible I bet that'll be significant in the next episode" and then the resolution was that the cybermen all fly into the air and explode. Clara's ending might have been a bit too sad considering there are kids watching, but I did like them both lying to each other because they think the other's happy. I liked it enough to even forgive the pointless tacked-on scene of Danny sending the child he murdered back to life. The Cyberbrig was also tacked on, and the Master should just have got away, but I liked the little salute scene and laughed at him rocketing off. I didn't like it as much as The Big Bang but it's probably the best Moffat's done since then.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

JoltSpree posted:

Pretty sure the Master was actually telling the truth, the Doctor just had another senior moment and forgot that she also told him it's in another dimension. So he was in the right spot, but the wrong universe.

I'm sure she said it was back from the other universe. Might have to watch the episode again to be sure, oh no!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It was odd, after Let's Kill Hitler it really seemed to get worse and worse. Individual episodes got stupider (Dalek zombies with eyestalks coming out of their heads! That weeping angels in New York episode!) and the story arcs got... disconnected, like Moffat forgot how to have events in one episode relate to another. Even this last series, which has definitely gone uphill (how would you even go down from Time Of The Doctor) pretty much gets by on visuals, Capaldi, and giving Clara an actual personality; the episodes are as stupid and the story arcs as paint-by-numbers as ever.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I literally just finished watching The World's End for the first time a few minutes ago (and I had no idea this discussion was going on in this thread until just now either :aaa:). I have to say, it's a hell of a movie if you know absolutely nothing about it going in. It almost, almost felt like a Cybermen story only way better than any actual Cybermen story we're ever likely to get.
I somehow avoided seeing any promo stuff for it at all and went in expecting some sci-fi disaster event, then became increasingly convinced that it was just a comedy drama about manchildren, and when the big reveal happened I was bowled over :allears:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

So, Rose is trapped in Pete's world (though she later gets a David Tennant RealDoll to keep her company), Donna has the memories of all the adventures she shared with the Doctor wiped with the proviso that if she ever sees him again her brain will incinerate itself, and Amy and Rory get stuck in a kind of paradox minefield that'll destroy time if the Doctor tries to save them.
This is why I don't like Donna's ending, it ended up setting a precedent that when a companion leaves it has to be super sad. Amy and Rory had a great ending at the end of series 6, the punchline that if River is the Doctor's wife then Amy is his mother in law. But no, it's got to be super sad so they're zapped back in time and Moffat throws up a whole bunch of ridiculous story walls so that it's sad and they can never come back. Then Clara's boyfriend dies and she tells the Doctor she's OK to spare his feelings and he tells her he's OK to spare her feelings and they both trudge off on misery. At least it's looking like that won't be her actual exit from the show. If every companion ends up having a heartbreaking tragic ending then the audience is just going to end up getting exhausted. New companion gets introduced and everyone just thinks "oh, I wonder what terrible thing will happen to this one"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

CobiWann posted:

...um...er...what's Red Dwarf?

You're dead.

• Locked thread