Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

azflyboy posted:

Got an offer for a job interview with the FAA today, which was completely unexpected.

I work in a government department as my day job, while instructing in the evenings/weekends and I have to say: be careful. Yes, I work for the Canadian federal government and I'm in a non-aviation department, but structurally and culturally within these organizations there is limited difference from what I've gathered. With government work its very, very easy to get trapped into what's known as the 'Golden Handcuffs.'

Merit, does not advance your career. Seniority, does not advance your career. Playing 'the game' advances your career. And the game is soul-sucking and mind-numbing. But you stay, because the pay and benefits are too good - growing more and more bitter and resentful (does it show? Haha).

I actually started flying the day I got my first pension statement. It said I had 37 years of service before I was eligible for the (admittedly gold plated) pension. I looked around and that honestly read like a jail sentence - so I googled flight schools and the rest is now history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

PT6A posted:

Are there any Canadian ATPs in the thread? I never got far enough to worry about the specifics, but the ATP process in the States seems much more frightening than in Canada, judging by how people talk about it. At the PPL level, the only level which I really looked at the differences, I'd say the Canadian training/licensing procedure is more onerous, but does this change at the ATPL level?

Not an ATP (yet, only at ~350hrs), but I know several colleagues that have written their As. Downside for us up here is that TC doesn't publish the test bank like the FAA does. Plus side, ours are two independent tests - the SARON (on Aviation Regulations and Air Traffic, Procedures, Aeroplane Operations and General Navigation) and the SAMRA (Meteorology, Radio Aids to Navigation and Flight Planning). You can break them up and do them weeks apart if you so wish. I think our pass mark is lower too, 70%?

Theoretically, with the reciprocal agreement, one could do the ATP exams/ride in either country on their current CPL and then do a rather simple test to convert back to the other. For that reason they keep the requirements close-ish. Though we haven't had any of the shenanigans with higher ATP mins like they have in the US... yet.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
So with the American regional industry getting hard up for ATPs, anybody think they'd do the leg work to take on a Canadian with an ATPL? I'm still a while away from that (chasing the 500-hr mark as an instructor) and the opportunities up here are either limited or in some god forsaken place north of 60. Its a joke for a Canadian to get a full on standalone FAA equivalent license, but the hurdle has always been the Right to Work in the US requirement - an airline would basically have to be willing to put in a bit of legwork for a work visa, which wouldn't be too hard to prove a need for by the looks of it.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Not 100% sure, but I think next week, some of my flights are with a goon as my instructor.

Yes. Yes they are. There is a bit of a shuffle going on with some departures and I may also become your primary. I swear if you make one stairs in house reference I'll tell everyone at the flight school your SA username :colbert:

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, my school rented two new 172s. One is a P, and one is an R with 160hp and fuel injected and made in 98 and oh my god I am in loving love, and I kinda wanna to take i and fly it everywhere. (For context, been flying M and N
')

Bud, they're both 180hp. The initial email from the CFI was wrong, if you check the POH they've both been converted to 180. Relative to the beat to hell 70s vintage Ms we usually fly, they're like rockets. Use them while you can, they go back in March. Pretty sweet deal, we brought them in for the winter from the West Coast - they basically sit there all winter with BKN008 'erryday and no ability to go IFR due to icing.

Desi fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 28, 2015

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

PT6A posted:

So, I looked up this airline.

3 separate instances of going off the runway at CYOW. You'd figure after the first two, they'd have some kind of company wide notice about "hey, be really loving careful in Ottawa guys, this is getting embarrassing!"

To add to it, I believe all three incidents were hydroplaning. Their callsign is Waterski...

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
So, a lot has changed since I last posted (OP needs updating, badly).

Desi = YOW - ASEL Comm - Class 4 Flight Instructor
Desi = YOW AMEL FI (Class 2), FII, MEI (I guess, 'murican terms but whatever)

I'm still instructing but switched schools and aircraft to the mighty Piper Seminole . I'd update my location in the OP but it would give away my employer - hint: if you're in Canada, you've heard about us for Multi and IFR training. I've also upgraded to what we up here call a Class 2 instructor which means I can supervise junior instructors and be a Chief Flight Instructor. For bragging rights only I'm probably going to get that Class 1 rating (which lets you create other instructors clones.

While I'm digging the challenge of teaching super fast paced Mult and IFR ratings I'm definitely ready to wrap this teaching thing up. You guys have it good with access to big pilot mills to just get those hours and move on in the states. I'm 2.5 years into teaching at some of the busiest schools in the country and just about to crack 1100TT with 150 multi. Thankfully I should be able to bust through the 1500 by winter, hopefully with 500 of it being multi.

So, that said, question for you Canadians in the airline world in this thread. Rumors are aplenty in the flight schools but I have limited access to people with first hand infromation. What's the hiring scoop for the duration of 2016? Something like Jazz or Porter attainable? SkyRegional or Georgian? I really would like to avoid going up to the hinterland - I'm more a city guy, I wouldn't really cut it in the bush, haha.

I'd fly for an American regional in a heartbeat, but they still haven't figured out a way to get Canadians work visas. Which sucks, getting a standalone FAA certificate right now is a joke but Pilot doesn't fall into that list of NAFTA professions that would let me work effectively sponsorship free...

Desi fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 30, 2016

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

SCOTLAND posted:

Georgian, Sky Regional and Porter all open up around the 1500 hour mark. As much as I loved working at Porter, the AC hiring department seems to be going with a flowthrough of Jazz/GGN/SKV for the majority of hires for the next while until the hiring process changes again.

AC had 339 pilot vacancies on our recent bid, of which 250 are pretty much guarantee hires in the next year. Fleet growth and incoming mandatory retirements here are going to drive a lot of the flow up in the industry over the next few years until the Canadian economy hits a wall.

In your shoes I would be trying to get in with any of the 3 AC feeders equally if your goal is AC. Porter is a great place to work, and lots of people there have been transitioning to WJE and WJ, some to AC too but not nearly as many in the past.

Not sure if you have a degree of any sort but that is also helpful in getting hired at some of the companies.

Feel free to PM me any specific questions and I can see if I can help out.

Thanks for the intel! Yeah AC mainline is the endgame for me, so I have been eyeing Jazz/SKV/GGN (in that order). I think I'll start firing resumes off in a month or so when I round out about 1200TT/200MPIC and see if I get any bites, and take it a bit more seriously around 1500.

I'd never say no to Porter/WJE/etc but they are definitely my 'safety schools'. I do have a degree in the most useful field ever: Political Science! I'm also banking on my pre-aviation career helping present me as a more rounded candidate; while it was boring as hell it is still an eyebrow raiser at interviews as it was in high-level government.

Can't think of anything else at the moment but I'll certainly take you up on PM if any do arise. Oh, there is one: Hook a brother up at AC? (Had to try... ;) )

Thanks!

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

bunnyofdoom posted:

In my experience, I hd my primary, and a secondary when he couldn't fly. After about 2 years, he switched out, and I got a new primary, who I had much much better progress under. As such, I just had my supervisory, and will be having my PPL flight test in the next couple weeks. Speaking of, anyone wanna throw questions at me I should know for the ground brief portion of the test? Pretty sure I knwo them all.

PPL flight test forthcoming? Nice! You've been working with PM still right? If he signs that recommend don't even sweat it, you've got it. I presume CG will be your examiner? Very reasonable guy on the ground, just for the love of god come in with any supporting material (CFS, AIM, Logs, POH) tabbed off - he would go off on rants in instructor meetings about how aggravating it was for him to sit there as some candidate flipped through the journey log for like 15mins trying to find when the last compass swing was done. Oh and tab poo poo off in your reference POH but use it as a glorified Table of Contents for the real official POH specific to that airframe which you will refer to whenever needed. Oh and he's huge on CofG stuff, know that cold. I'm sure DJ-PM will cover this with you ahead of the pre-flight test too.

Good to hear your progressing well man! You've certainly earned it!

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

EvilJoven posted:

Ya I'll definitely be thinking long and hard about it and this is still a 2+ year process By the time I get done with my PPL we'll be losing daylight to the point where there won't be any accelerated training due to lack of daylight after work so I'm pretty sure PPL is as far as I'm going this year..

My VP was serious about me being able to fly on business trips when they make sense but that might be a once or twice a year thing. Enough incentive to get my IFR rating so I don't gently caress up scheduling because the weather refused to stay green the entire trip. (Can I fly VFR OTT with an IFR rating?) and possibly my night rating. These are both things I want eventually, even if I don't do it for a living.

With all this I can still just be doing this as a hobby more expensive than a good coke habit but without the massive added expense of a CPL and abandoning a half decent paying job.

To tack on another anecdote, I've presently got about ~1200 hours and have yet to bother sending in resumes to Jazz/SKV/GGN. I am working as a Multi and IFR instructor and hoping to close in on 1500 by winter and start applying. The last ~1,000 hours has taken me about 2.5 years to amass. But the big thing I did differently, and what I've recommended to everyone I've advised since, is start slow and maintain another income. Entry level aviation in Canada is unsustainable. My first year-ish I taught quasi part time and worked in an unrelated field for the Federal Government. During that time I banked as much cash as I could. The following year (Calendar 2015) I was able to arrange a Leave Without Pay and instructed full time - as probably the busiest instructor in the place I made a whopping $19k but the savings from the year earlier backstopped that. I went back to the feds for about 4 months in early 2016 but then quit outright when got my current MIFR instructing gig that does still come with a rather poo poo income but by now I've become a Class 2 (more $$$ per hour) and am getting more billable hours every week so that helps.

From what I've gathered you can take two paths here in Canada - slow and steady where you have savings and/or another income (the bar industry was really popular amongst my colleagues - nights weren't super busy for a fresh Class IV instructor anyways), or ramp-to-fly jobs that will probably get you your hours faster (if you play your cards right) but require either a vow of poverty or a second paycheque from The Bank of Mom & Dad. A guy I know got his CPL on literally the same day as me and decided to go up to Rankin, tough it out and managed to survive for a while, got onto a King Air up there for pretty poo poo pay as well, but is now an FO at Jazz (for perspective).

The boom is coming but yeah, I can smell a Flight School Sales Pitch from a mile away and this has all the hallmarks of one. As a note, the words 'Pilot Shortage' make my bullshit meter go off the charts. There is no shortage. There is a moderate-to-significant uptick in attrition and hiring, but not a "holy poo poo who's going to fly these planes?! shortage." Don't get me wrong, now is the best time in recent memory to be diving into this field IMO, but that is relative to the exceptionally poo poo years we've just passed.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Syracuse is my flight schools go to place to go for American check rides. Apparently dinosaur BBQ is the place to eat

Correction - it was MY place to go for cross-border checkouts as I did them all. I don't know if anybody has done it since I left. Something about rolling up to jet bridge in a 172 to meet CBP never got old haha. And Dinosaur BBQ is awesome - grab the crew car and its like a 10 minute drive.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Oh man, had a flight in a c172p today (my school uses m and n usually.*).so.....why was it an actual piece of poo poo? Like terrible.

*Desi, what model were the rentals from vic if you remember?

The VFC planes were a P (INH) and an R (KMY). They both had 180hp conversions as they could be put on floats when needed and you want the extra oomph toget those big bulky floats out of the water. That was probably the difference. You flew PAU right?

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
So I'm throwing around the idea of staying a Flight Instructor a bit longer than I have to and getting the Pilot Examiner (or DPE as you yanks call 'em) certification before making a break for the airlines. Basically, the school I work for cranks out a serious percentage of the Multi and IFR ratings issued in Canada every year and our staff examiner is looking to retire, and its looking like he will be replaced by a handful of on-call examiners - I could likely get the company to sponsor me and fulfill the 'need' requirement. I already meet (or almost meet) most of the other requirements pertaining to my training record and such except for the hours (2000TT/1500PIC/500MPIC), I was hoping to make a run at the airlines before Winter but if I want to give this a go I'd need to stick around and up my PIC/MPIC through to the Spring as it'd be years before I start logging MPIC at the airlines. I'd likely seek authority for Multi and IFR rides, and if I could pick up the PPL/CPL authority with it that would just be gravy.

On one hand, the Examiner thing is so very lucrative and a huge, huge opportunity. On the other hand, having been an instructor for 2.5 years already I don't think I have another 6 months (and another Canadian winter in GA...) in me. Decisions.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

MrChips posted:

Getting your DFTE is a highly political process. Better get sucking up to your local Transport Canada office in a hurry.

Yep, that reccomendation from a CAI is the toughest part but I've got that part managed should I go down this path. It helps I spent the better part of a decade working in federal politics then government before rage quitting and going into aviation - I played a similar game up the org-chart once already.

SCOTLAND posted:

That's a tough one, but if you are fairly close to those mins that you posted I would say it's a decent time to move to a regional. Upgrade times are low and dropping and if you have PIC time you are in a good spot to move fairly fast.

I'm closing in on those numbers but at the pace I'm going I'd need to go another 6-8 months to get the PIC requirements, TT could come up at the airline level. As of today I'm rapidly closing in on 1,300TT 1000PIC 200Multi. Been a little trigger shy firing off resumes to the regionals. GGN and SKV have 1,500TT insurance mins (which I hope to hit in a 2-3 months), and Jazz the rumour mill is running rampant down in the FTU world, I've heard everything from 'as soon as you can check the 1,000TT and 250multi+ boxes on the app you're in' to a friend with well over that getting rejected for having all instructor time and no 'operational experience' (though he may have had other issues).

But yeah, I've heard GGN B1900 upgrade times are stupid fast, could get those PIC requirements quick if I wind up there. I'll hit the 'IFR Instructor' and 'Instructor Time' thresholds no problem before I leave and the Class 1 instructor rating is already in the works.

e.pilot posted:

Next up MEI check ride on the 8th.

Hardest part of Multi instructing - efficiency. Buddy in that left seat is paying upwards of $7-8/minute, better make it count!

Desi fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 21, 2016

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

VOR LOC posted:

The hardest, but best, lesson I ever learned when I was instructing was not to care too much about how much the student was paying. This poo poo costs money, learning takes time, and I can't produce good pilots if all I hear is the cash register noise every time the hobbs ticks over.

Absolutely agree, I meant more in the sense of once those props are turning its 'business time' and making the most of ground and sims as training tools to minimize that burden on the student. No more briefing-as-we-go kindof teaching. I think the way you guys do instrument ratings is a bit different too, because with the way the way the requirements break down in Canada the vast majority of an instrument rating winds up being done on a twin for most students and most wind up with ~20ish hours (Multi + Group 1 Instrument). As such, my school has the philosophy of "The teaching happens on the whiteboard and the skill is practiced in the sim, and only once its truly understood do the engines turn."

At the end of the day, if the guy can't fly a single engine ILS, we're going out again to do it again; but he shouldn't be learning how to do it for the first time in the plane. Basically, the old "gently caress it we do it live" attitude that creeps in to flight instructing is something to be avoided IMO

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

PT6A posted:

Well, I'm more or less officially a CPL student now. First flight will probably be on Tuesday!

Canadian right? Do the written yesterday. Its ridiculous the number of students that get burned by that stupid exam. It's not particularly hard, its just a massive time sink that people vastly underestimate. I've personally gotten to the point where I don't even bother doing any real flying towards the license until after that test is done - the CPL maneuvers are easy and don't take a lot of time to master at all, but you can't flight test until after the written is done. I drew a line in the sand after I got the same guy to flight test standard 3 times who kept putting off the stupid CPAER.

For that I recommend the pilottraining.ca videos. Spend some quality time with Aaron Doherty (I argue the most hated guy in Canadian Aviation for torturing everyone with his lame dadjokes and tangents) and you won't have any issues.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
Just busted through 1,400 hours and am about 3 weeks to a month away from the ATPL. I have the written exam done, a still valid flight test, and all of the little sub-requirements done. My life consists of eat/sleep/fly these days. This spectacularly '80s video sums up life right now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

PT6A posted:

Question for Canadian pilots: where do I put the medical sticker I just got from TC? It has instructions on how to place it in the ADB for both the left side and right side "within the alignment marks", but the pages in my ADB only have one set of alignment marks on the medical pages, always on the left side, with a bunch of space for stamps and signatures on the bottom of the left page, and then the entire right page.

I'm guessing the correct place to put it is in the next available set of alignment marks, but I don't want to gently caress up by doing it wrong.

Yep, you've got it. Place it on a new page in the alignment marks (basically in the top left corner when you look at the open book). The stamps/signature spots on the remainder of the page and on the next page are reserved for your doctor to renew THAT medical which shares the page.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

PT6A posted:

I'm not sure why I got a new sticker -- just because it's been so long since my last medical? I still had plenty of room for stamps, what with my not-flying for the better part of a decade :v:
EDIT: And my ADB expires before my next medical anyway...

You upgrade to a Cat 1 from something else, now that you're working on your CPL?

My ADB is also coming up in February. I want my new one to have an ATPL and Class 1 Instructor Rating printed on the first spot. Implication being I've been doing this longer than I have :)

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
Never thought I'd complain that a heater in a C172 was too hot, but apparantly that's a thing. I had the control module of my LightSpeed Zulus clipped to the side pocket and the heater was blowing onto it for the better part of a 2-ish hour flight. Yeah it melted the plastic of the entire module as well as the battery door. It's all deformed and held together with elastic bands and electrical tape.

Before I start considering shelling out money for a new headset or getting this one repaired - what do you airline guys use? I'm at 1470 hours as of today and about to start making moves to try and get a gig on some sort of regional aircraft (gunning for a job at SkyRegional on the E175, also looking at Jazz and Porter where I'd be likely on the Q400, maybe wind up at Georgian on the B1900). If getting this thing repaired is not feasible, is there any merit to getting an ANR headset for these gigs, or is it a waste? I figure I can limp these along for the time being unrepaired but its not a long-term solution.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
Hah, touched a nerve on the whole headset thing. Consensus seems to be around an ANR of personal preference I guess. I got around to calling Lightspeed today and they offered to fix 'em for $100 so I think I'll take them up on that when I have a slow week coming up or something. Pretty awesome customer service though, they said that had it been within five years (I'm 5-months over) they'd have fixed it for free, regardless of the fact that it was physical damage. Ah well, $100 beats buying a new one.

PT6A posted:

My instructor's last day is Friday, he's got an airline job now!

Hopefully my next instructor is good, too...

You know where he's going and his hours? I'm looking to start making moves in the next week(s). Traditionally the airlines in Canada have looked down on instructors in favour of the North/Bush guys but the rumour mill says times-are-a-changing - kinda trying to figure my odds at various companies.

Desi fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 3, 2016

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

PT6A posted:

So, to touch off what I'm sure will be another entertaining holy war: what sort of flashlight should I get and/or what features should I be looking for, as I begin my night rating?

I've done about 8 or 9 night ratings now, and before I've started any of them I've sent the student to the local Canadian Tire to buy a generic LED headlamp that has a red light. I'm still using some random Energizer one myself that I got ~4ish years ago. You look like a total doofus but its the best way to do it.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
So I crossed 1,500 hours last week. I have an ATPL application sitting on the pile at Transport Canada and a resume at every airline in the country with whom I stand the remotest shot of getting hired. Just sittin' around, hoping for the phone to ring or for an email to come in is tedious.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
So any :canada: folks have any intel/leads/connects for regional hiring? I've applied to all the big name regionals with an ATPL and 1500TT/500MPIC about three weeks ago and getting anxious. I know ts only been a little while since I applied, but most of my time is instructing so I'm a little worried that's holding me back. I'm also just thoroughly burnt out of teaching.

Also any 'muricans know of regionals down there that have sponsored pilots from abroad? As a Canadian I can convert my licenses to standalone FAA no sweat, but its that illusive 'right to work in the USA' that's holding me back there.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
So, I haven't posted in a while. I guess an OP update is in order, Desi - YOW - ATP FI FII MEI

Got my ATPL signed off and start ground school flying the Mitsubushi MU2 in Medevac Ops in a few days! Intesting times out there, you yanks are struggling to fill seats on jets whereas here in Canada the regonals are still being picky as to the type of time you have and are still hiring almost exclusively from the North. The head of recruitment at Porter told me that as a pilot group of 400 (IIRC) only 3 had exclusively instructor time before being hired. Ah well, was looking to skip going up north but I'm game for the adventure.

Because I'm a nerd I went through my logbook and compiled some stats from my three years of instructing. After 1,350 hours of Dual Given (1700TT), and flying with 257 unique students I signed off on 11 Private Licenses, 7 Commercial Licenses, 7 First Solos, 6 Night Ratings, 42 Multi Ratings, and 49 IFR. I'm exhausted.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

PT6A posted:

gently caress, that's not a good sign for my current plan.

1700TT, 600MPIC and yeah no call backs from Jazz/Sky/GGN/WJE. I had my pick of 704/3 companies though and I think I wound up at one of the most highly reputed companies in the North. From what I've gathered, in Canada, instructing is only good to a) skip the ramp, and b) get your pick of the smaller northern operators. You're going up North. Towards the end of teaching I actually started advising my students to skip the instructor rating altogether, ramp times are getting hilariously low nowadays - I've heard of guys doing 3-6mo and getting on as PC12 FOs (legit because opspec).

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

PT6A posted:

Skipping the ramp and having my choice of smaller operators later on both appeal to me, so I think I'll probably still go the instructor route, even if it might be a bit more expensive. The flying club here gives you a huge discount on multi and multi-IFR training if you instruct with them, so I don't think it would be a huge difference.

Not a bad strategy. Multi and IFR, when the time comes, look at Cornwall. That's where I've been teaching. Lets just say that a number of my students came from schools where they had discounts too, but we were still cheaper and faster. Caveat is that its quick and dirty IFR, enough if you'll be sitting in a plane as an FO, not so much if you plan on doing single-pilot IFR.

PT6A posted:

What about operators like Pacific Coastal, Central Mountain Air, and those sorts? Are they 704? I'll admit I haven't done a huge amount of investigation.

As MrChips said, the pay leaves a bit to be desired. I have a few students that wound up at PasCo but they were guys with a tonne of time already on floats or in the bush in Africa (3000+ TT). Funny story, one of the told me that in the float community, getting your Multi and IFR is known as 'Gettin yer grade 10'. I fired off a resume and never heard back (granted it was only about a month ago I decided to give the Left Coast a shot).

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

MrChips posted:

If you're flying a MU-2 in Canada, that pretty much gives away who you're working for ;) And yeah, you'll do OK there.

Haha yep, don't want to advertise who it is, but it isn't a secret or anything. I know a lot of people that have gone through there and flown the MU2 that have had a good time. I have been told that 'If you cowboy it, you will die' about the plane though, so that's fun.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

CBJSprague24 posted:

What's the logic in :canada: behind working the ramp before actually getting flight time at a company? A form of "payin' your dues"/getting your foot in the door or vetting the employees to see who's worth it?

Being from :911: and watching Ice Pilots NWT when I was still thinking of going the pilot route (though I think even in this thread, it's been said they're a less-than-desirable place to work), the concept of "Well, go live in Hay River and meet the flights as a rampie, then be a rampie in Yellowknife, then serve coffee to the folks in the back in the sked there and then maybe we'll let you fly" format seemed totally foreign/rear end backwards in terms of getting time built to go somewhere else eventually.

It's a complex problem really. Canada pumps out a gently caress ton of 250 hour wonders, due to programs like Confederation College, Seneca, Sault, and that one in Quebec as well as some others across the country that are subsidized by the government (for us, all College and University is heavily subsidized and a few aviation programs snuck in to that scheme before the doors were slammed shut on it). As a result you have a tonne of kids who are willing to work for pennies because their training cost them (effectively) jack poo poo.

On the flip side of this you have operators that exploit the hell out of low-timers to save a few bucks. All jobs in the north pay a stupidly high wage because nobody wants to live there. So instead of having highly paid rampies, they can pay peanuts to some bright-eyed southern kid who's looking for his shot. It's extra greasy in my eyes because said high paying rampie jobs could really help the economically depressed territories, but folks like Buffalo Joe want to keep every nickel they can scrounge up.

So that's enough to create a system. Then others (pilots and companies) get sucked into said system because "that's just the way she goes, bud."

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I have heard that one time on a xc some students got stuck in Kingston overnight because they didn't call ahead. The refueling place was closed, and they didn't have enough fuel to take off again so they have to sleep in their 172.

Coulda just hopped over to Brock-vegas for some fuel, it's like 15-20 mins away.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

Bob A Feet posted:

Seems like a stupid rule but at the same time, its simplicity is genius. If you took off full tanks and have less than have tanks when you land somewhere (assuming you did a one stopper), the possibility of you flaming out is loving huge. Easy way to safe a dumb student's life.

Yeah I used to teach at said school, and as I'm sure OP can attest to, we did have a disproportionate number of dumb students (him, obviously, not included). The rule was actually a holdover from when we used to fly DA20-A1s, and when I left (over a year ago) there was some discussion of revising it to be time based given it had become a mixed-bag fleet of standard/long-range 172s - something like no take-offs with less than 90min fuel. Guess that never happened.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

Captain Apollo posted:

So you can sit for the exam, but you can't get the certificate until you've filed the paperwork?

*canada*

Yep, general rule of thumb in Canada is that written tests require 50% of the flying TT completed prior to an attempt and flight tests require 75% of the flying TT completed. Now, when it comes to PPLs I only ever saw people attempt it with some outstanding sub-requirement (like being short one hour of the 5 required instrument) and never TT. CPL I personally signed off 3 that were about ~20 hours short on TT and/or PIC time. They were performing well within the flight test standards so why not just knock the test out of the way and have a bit of un=pressured fun with the remaining time. In almost all cases the application for the license/rating is done separately from the flight test anyways, usually by a Transport Canada 'Authorized Person', although many examiners are also APs and can technically sign you off on the spot if you're ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

PT6A posted:

My flight school picked up a new (to us) C172 yesterday, and we still don't have a loving twin, after 8 months, because there's "no money."

I'm going to finish off my CPL and switch schools because this one is obviously run by idiots. My primary instructor is leaving at the end of June anyway, so I'd be doing multi-IFR and/or instructor rating with someone else already.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more pissed off I am. You're not only loving over all the CPL students, who basically need Group I IFR to get a job, but you're also loving over all the instructors, who don't get any twin time whatsoever, making it harder for them to get their next job. Yeah, the perfect deal might not be coming along on exactly the Twin Comanche you want, but just eat some poo poo and get a serviceable twin. Or get a 182 for renters who want something faster than a 172 without jumping all the way to the Cirrus (which has also been conspicuous in its absence lately, I've noticed). Or get a nice, modern 172 with a G1000, so you can teach people how to fly with more modern avionics. Or get a Citabria to replace the one a student wrote off with a ground loop last year, since people have been asking about tailwheel training. Pretty much anything would've been better than another 172N.

There's a reason why Cornwall has a corner on the Multi/IFR market in Canada - I taught there for a year and personally signed off ~7% of instrument ratings issued in Canada that year. That reason is simply that nobody else in this country can seem to keep a light twin running and/or profitable for some unknown reason. It's quick and dirty training but for $10k and two weeks its a pretty sweet setup. A word of warning though, accelerated training has huge drawbacks too, it is NOT the IFR training you seek out if you're going to be bombing around single pilot IFR at all. I liked to send students away with a speech about knowing their limitations.

• Locked thread