Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The... wildly popular movie that came out long after they were already in production and which seriously underperformed compared to the previous film, eventually being outperformed by the TMNT movie?

Hey you know what TMNT had? Walking. You know what Korra has? Walking! Quite a coincidence that this show happen to shares something with one of the biggest films of the summer!

Really makes you think.

It's a real stretch to think that Korra is putting in wingsuits because a popular animated movie did so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Legend of Korra Book 4.44: You Are (Not) Clever. Stop Trying To Name The Topic.

A real shame it looks like they finally got their poo poo together in the writing department with the last two seasons of anything Avatar ever (by the looks of it). I hope they hit the ground running with their next project instead of the meandering start with Korra.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If the series doesn't conclude with Korra forming her own island nation while causing Kuvira to fall to her death in the process I'll be disappointed.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If Chin couldn't get Kyoshi Island, Kuvira won't. She also skipped The Swamp too. I'm sure she saw all that hippy crap and decided to slowly back away.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

From what I've read Nobunaga was very open to western ideas and really didn't care for the Japanese class system - wasn't very big on the decorum. Name and history had very little worth to him and was big on merit. It seems like the openly bastard thing he did was against the ikki monks where he pretty much had his army starve them out then kill them all. Women and children included. Japan probably would have been very different than it is today had he conquered it. Probably wouldn't have gone into isolation.

Kuvira just seems like your stock conqueror, except she's not above using guile and trickery over martial power to conquer a province. To be honest, I think the real mastermind behind all of it is her fiancee. She might have the same kind of relationship with him like his parents have. He's the ideas man she's the one with the savvy to make it happen.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 11, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The universe don't care about Sokka. One day he was all joking "I'm gonna live forever!" then the universe, always wanting to prove him wrong, killed him dead the next day. The end. gently caress the universe and its magical rocks.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried. Most people were silent. I remembered the line from some crazy book: Vaatu is trying to persuade dark spirits that they should do their duty and, to impress them, takes on his multi-tentacled form and says, 'Now I am become Darkness, the destroyer of Light.'"

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ozai was more of a background, looming threat than an actual character. He barely had any presence in seasons 1 and 2 and we just knew what kind of person he was by the actions of his faceless army. It took a Star Wars approach to things, very simplistic without drawing too much attention to it. Korra's problem is that they kept the simplicity but focus on it, so the questionable politics of the show really stand out and can be distracting to some (or a lot) of people.

Edit: I mean, we even had a lovable character flat-out say that the previous antagonists were people who took good ideas to their extremes, which couldn't be farther from the truth with at least two of the previous seasons' antagonists. That's some really messed up politics, if you asked me.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I did take issue with Toph's bone-headed evaluation of previous season's antagonists. It felt like she was a writer's surrogate tell the audience that these monsters had good ideas when, in fact, two of the three of them were clearly monsters. Zaheer was at least honest about his philosophy and didn't behind those Road Warrior-esque bandits from early on in Season 3. Nothing about them was taking something to the extreme. Kuvira does fit under that classification, though. But yeah, that one line really rubbed me the wrong way and kind of soured me on the season. I've overlooked the flaws in the writing since I don't watch a lot of animated TV but seeing Rock and Morty recently showed me how tightly that show was written compared to this one. This one wastes a lot of time. 12-14 episode seasons can be OK if you write for them as such but I just get the feeling that the writers are still stuck in the 20 episode format mode.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 2, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It probably would have been better had they showed the fight all the way through instead of cutting to the Bolin and Varrik stuff. It kind of destroyed the tension and flow.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Her not at her peak is understandable, to be honest. She had some pretty neat fights through-out the series but her still suffering the effects of her shell shock after just being healed is pretty legit. I'm just kind of bummed that she doesn't really have much agency over her actions and really hasn't since Amon set his plans in motion in season 1. She can't fight at her peak because she is poisoned, or drugged, or bloodbended or something and she can't carve her own path because of world/friend-threatening villain coxes/demands her to do their bidding. So she comes off as a lesser protagonist because it seems like she can't do anything right or never takes the initiative or sets her own goals. It feels like they wanted a prodigy bender as an avatar, but who is also aggressive and brash, but realized half-way through production that if they did that the fights would be extremely one-sided so they threw in all these cheap handicaps to limit her ability.

I think it would have been more effective for her character, at least early on in the series, if she fought at the best of her abilities against opponents and lost simply because they were better benders or were more clever at exploiting her aggressive fighting style.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 8, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

Screw romance. I just want Season 1 Asami to come back. She was actually a very useful member of the team back then, both with her martial prowess and her command over tech tools and weapons. She added value. Now she's just a pretty face.

It was because she had a boyfriend then. Girls are only good as long as they got a ~*~boy~*~ to love them. Otherwise they can no longer function any more.

Examples:
Kuvira hooks up with Spoiled Jr., she conquers the earth kingdom and starts an empire
Korra breaks up with Mako, she becomes bad at everything
Asami breaks up with Mako, she becomes a background character
Korra hooks up with Mako, she whoops rear end
Asami is dating Mako, we got Season 1 antics

I tell you, the gender politics in this show are quite troubling. Girls either gotta be pretty pink princesses with no responsibilities or get themselves a man if they want to function in society! I actually started this post as a joke but when I read those examples again, now I'm not too sure. :psyduck:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'd argue that it would make the characters slightly more interesting in this case. Asami doesn't have much going for her, really. Anything would be a step up for her character at this point, except maybe a relationship with Mako. Unless you like two planks of wood slapping together.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Steensma posted:

Is the fact that the mythic feel of ATLA has become mundane not part of the point? The show as a whole has been about grounding and undercutting those portions of the original series.

Maybe but it also makes the show feel compressed, small and cheapens the setting. It was nice not knowing why the Avatar was the way they were, with a reincarnating soul. You could speculate why it was the case and it gave the setting an air of mystique that made it feel grand. Like the Avatar and the people of that world were just a small part of a larger picture. In TLA the universe was out of balance so the Avatar received help from various parts of it so he could set it right. In Korra they just told us someone fused with the ultimate spirit of ultimate good to fight ultimate evil and now it's that spirit of ultimate good that gives the avatar their powers. There's nothing grand about it and it cheapened the universe because of it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It's going to be the former.

Learning that the budget has been slashed doesn't help matters.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

The ultimate in budget voice work: Steve Blum as every male character, Jennifer Hale as every female character.

Jen Hale voiced a character in Dragon Age Inquisition that no one knew it was her. Voice directors should have her do different voices. Same applies to Steve Blum and Nolan North and, especially these days, Troy Baker.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

it's not an action show but it's tons of fun and the writing is very sharp. Incredible pacing in the episodes.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder if (and hope) people will stop making GBS threads on Korra and praising ATLA as better than it once time has passed.

I hope people change their opinions to line up with mine too. I'm too insecure to like something without a whole group of vocal people saying it's great.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm not a huge fan of his readings of the episodes but I think the Nostalgia Critic, in his Last Airbender vlogs, broke down why he was OK with the whole rock thing. It was basically the universe wanting balance again. Given all the otherworldly and spiritual help Aang received over the course of the series, it's not too much of a stretch to buy in to. That's kind of how I rationalized it too but I also see where people who hated that come from.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

Korra getting all the past Avatars back is another thing that would piss me off. I don't know why no one wants gently caress ups to have lasting consequences.

It was the most interesting aspect of the Avatar. I'm all for consequences if they make the character struggle more interesting, but Korra losing that aspect of being the Avatar was just a dumb idea.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

And the 20 episode format The Last Airbender had.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Even with pacing issues, all that extra time will allow you to iron out plot details and character development. Besides, more time spent in that world, even if it's insubstantial, is A-OK in my book.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah I can't wait for the Avatar franchise to be over with forever.

Well, for five or ten years anyway, before they do the horrible focus-grouped reboot.

So... an animated version of the movie?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Hauldren Collider posted:

Yes, I am extremely grateful. I was tensing for a minute afraid that that dialogue near the end was gonna end with them hooking up again. I think that had more tension for me than the part where Mako was lighting up the spirit nuke plant thing in the mech.
It was a good bait and switch. I think most of the fanbase felt that way during that scene.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I really liked that turn of events but I would have liked it had they more scenes together. I don't think it came out of no where but it could have used some more growth over the season.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Torquemadras posted:

This. I wrote it earlier - it's a nice nod to the fans and what the characters have become, but not that overblown. I could gush about the mecha fight and the 1v1 and the battle in the engineering room forever. I guess I'll never understand how scenes like that, while a nice outro, can dominate an entire thread when there's giant elemental kungfu in a town built out of explosive bricks.

It's us, we are the tumblr

We all expected magical kungfu what we didn't expect was the ending we got. Plus, regardless of why it came about, it was more important than the flashy wizzbang fights, as spectacular as they were. I would hope it leads to more shows taking chances and it would be cool if there are any more Avatar things with those characters it will be expanded upon.

Let's face it, regardless of the general response anything that talks about it will only be a good thing. More attention drawn to it will get people who were otherwise not interested in the show interested in seeing that scene.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The important question about bending is if you used that jet booster fire thing, wouldn't it burn out the bottom of your shoes?! These are the questions that matter in the long run.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

People aren't as big fans of the ending with the Aang fight because there was a lot of just floating around in an element ball instead of sick-rear end kung-fu poo poo.
Yeah, it was kind of disappointing but thematically I think it worked out. It was more about Aang embracing being the Avatar and the power that it entails and less about kung-fu. Until that point he kind of feared the avatar state because he couldn't fully control it. During that whole sequence he was fully in control thus a complete Avatar. Probably why the episode is titled "Avatar Aang".

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Pomp posted:

I want Wu to become to start a zoo and become known as the Badger Mole Prince.

And from that day forward whenever they gathered that many animal in one place they called it a "Wu"!

...unless it's a farm.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Axel Serenity posted:

Read this a bit a go and aside from being a nice little article, I feel like the show making the Most Popular list of Vanity Fair is a fitting last middle finger at Nickelodeon.

They'd be dumb not to capitalize on the attention. No such thing as bad publicity - it got everyone's attention and now they're talking about it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's alright. The core is fairly solid but it's pretty obvious that it's a budget title. I'm sure they'll be able to make something really solid if given the funding.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's pretty obvious they should give Platinum another go at the franchise and make a game set after the events where Korra and Asami go on adventures. The gimmick would be on the fly character switching (like Devil May Cry 4 styles) to pull of crazy combos. Korra is the launcher while Asami is the combo builder. The higher the combo the more the Korrasami meter builds and when it's full they pull off a high damage, room clearing movie. It ends with them holding hands for the first third of the game, the second third it ends with a hug and if you beat the final boss with it it ends with them kissing. Gameplay reflecting how their relationship grows over the course of the game to avoid the ludonarrative dissonance™.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Slice-of-life. One of my favorite shows, Patlabor, is nothing but slice-of-life but they happen to be a police force with giant mechs. It's driven by all the characters.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

One Piece suffers from the fact that there isn't any seasons and it's one episode a week all year. It's dumb and pacing took a nose-dive a few years ago but if One Piece adapted a 24 episode season format it would be fantastic. A good way to ruin something really fantastic. But the show makes bazillions of dollars and is more popular than everything popular put together, so nothing's going to change.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

In the long run I think Korra will be remembered for the last scenes more than anything. It has to start somewhere and it's good that it did.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Rock becomes kind of annoying when he starts to question the insanity and becomes whiny because criminals do bad things. When he embraced it, though, we got what happens in the gif. The manga is still going and I wish they'd adapt more of it into anime.

But Korra will be remembered not because "of the lesbians" but because a strong woman with a character arc road into the sunset with someone she had feelings for. For the gay community that's a huge deal because the relationship wasn't stereotypical, it wasn't shoved down your throat, it was just something that happened over time and no attention was drawn to it, like it was some sort of political correctness checklist item. It was normal, which in some places that sees homosexuality as abnormal, that's a big step. Not to mention the floodgates that it opened for shows to have homosexual relationships be they between two men or two women. All fingers will point to this show. Or to the next show that does it but I guarantee they will cite this show as inspiration for that bold step.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I know it's been talked about to death but I was curious about some reactions to the last scenes outside of the tumblr crowd who get way too involved in that sort of thing and its been pretty positive. Even a couple of the negative blogs point out that they didn't like that they ended up together, to them, it just seemed like they didn't have enough screen time by themselves that it doesn't feel earned or that their characters were sacrificed to the inclusion god (and they point out the blog where the creator says they did it for the queer community). They used Varrik and Zhu Li as an example of having a lot of screen time together, especially towards the end, that Korra and Asami are lacking. But I'd argue that Korra and Asami's go back into season 3 as well and their's was more of a budding relationship rather than an evolution of Varrik and Zhu Li's ongoing one. Still, I won't argue against that they could have used more one on one dialogue. But others, holy poo poo, it makes the gimmicks posted on here look lightweight by comparison. So much homophobia hiding behind the excuse of "poor writing" that it's crazy.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

And the recap narrator narrating the entire thing, spelling it out to the audience or deliberately obtuse.

In all seriousness, they could have use some more scenes together this season at least and it probably would have helped. I think that clip show really mucked things up.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's best to assume all characters are heterosexual then throw a fit when it turns out they're not instead. It's normal, you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

DrPaper posted:

The character was heterosexual to the point of an entire season dedicated to a heterosexual love triangle, until literally the last episode of the last season when suddenly she's a lesbian just for fanservice.

Pretty typical of anime shows, so I'm not sure why I'm surprised.

They kind of spent two seasons slowly building up to the ending. It should have been more front and center but the hints were there and people point out them out at the time in this very thread (and were told they were reaching for something that wasn't there or were called worse).

• Locked thread