Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Now that I'm not on my phone:

Anno is such an adorable doof sometimes :3:

Those are actually classic Kamen Rider poses btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Toshimo posted:

They are the power cores for Zhu Li's Mecha-warriors. They are made from draining energy from spirits. Each core is a drained spirit. :black101:

Sounds legit.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Kuvira = Satsuki
Korra = Ryuuko
Mako/Bolin = Mako

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

It really is the Catcher in the Rye of anime

Except instead of the creator loving off into the woods and being a recluse, he just kept on being a gigantic turbonerd.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sithsaber posted:

He wants the impossible. You can't get someone to shut up if nobody's talking. (We're typing) He also spelled Kuvira rong. :D

Ps. While we've been bitching, reddit has been hard at work giving this show the anime opening it deserves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovUbF4mKlAE

See you guys later.

Looks like the opening for a lovely teen or TV series.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm betting that Toph has actually been dead for a while, but now exists as a spirit.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I'm almost certain "enlightenment" was just the excuse Toph used to tell everybody to gently caress off while she went and partied and had adventures. Toph-brand enlightenment.

More like "enlightenment" was an excuse for buggering off to live without any more responsibilities and relax because she was getting sick of that poo poo.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

How much area does the United Republic actually control? Is it like Hong Kong or Singapore, where Republic City is literally just a city-state / treaty port of some sort, or does it actually have a decent chunk of the Earth Kingdom?

Oh I get it, Kuvira just wants pretty borders, and if she manages to Unite The Earth Kingdom she'll gain cores on the provinces owned by Republic City, which will allow her to declare war on it without incurring infamy! :paradox:

Basically most, if not all, of the formerly long occupied Earth Kingdom territories were converted into the United Republic. Republic City is the capitol.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

So this is why they are reintroducing Hiroshi, he'll make a high frequency sword that can't be metal bent to give to Korra so she can beat Kuvira's giant spirit nuke shooting metal gear. :v:

Nah. There'll probably be the spirit nuke set up in Republic City and Varrick and Zhu Li will be out of action (or unwilling to help) leaving Asami and her father to try and disarm the bomb. In a touching scene, they find that the bomb can only be diffused of energy, not disarmed so Hiroshi tells Asami to leave as he ensures that the bomb properly goes off with minimal damage.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

dr_rat posted:

I would guess about .5 Zhu lis, as there's no way in hell that Varrick didn't do the original Zhu li scale weight measurements while she wasn't still ladened down with at least half her weight again of random crap Varrick had told her to carry, probably including the typewriter she was told to write down the results with.

Query: Are Zhu Lis a measure of weight/force or mass?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I honestly feel like Toph will show up, shrug and go back to whatever it is she's doing until the inevitable noise disturbs her and she just throws a chunk of rock and spirit vine at them as a sign to gently caress off.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Argue posted:

Someone claiming to have worked on the movie posted a defense of Shyamalan (not of the movie) on an Avatar forum once; I think it was linked from here somewhere much earlier on in the thread. I'm not sure I believe them, but if true, it laid out a fairly plausible series of circumstances leading to a number of decisions in the film; they implied that M. Night was actually trying to salvage a film that was wrecked by Hollywood execs making demands of the movie. That person did lay the blame for a few things like the name pronunciations squarely on Shyamalan, though.

Perhaps this is the ultimate Shyamalan twist; the movie was all a setup to blow our minds years later when we found out what a hero he actually was

Better twist: The poster was secretly Shyamalan the whole time.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Samurai Jack, GL: TAS, some of the ones mentioned above, Sym-Bionic Titan, TMNT (the latest animated one, not the CG one) all seem to be in the same category of Korra and also really good.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RottenK posted:

Wasn't there a spinoff show about some robot assasin that first showed up in BB?

The Zeta Project. The robot design continued to show up in the DCAU after the show was cancelled as training robots iirc.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Or the video games one

It's kind of a depressing show when you realize how broken Bruce is as a man with how much his crusade on crime has cost him.

Though at least Return of the Joker showed that he fixed some of his burnt bridges :unsmith:

Also JLU is still great even though CN liked to gently caress with them with the schedule changes and giving them another season even though "Epilogue" was supposed to be the series finale (There was a reason it ended with a recreation of the opening scene of "On Leather Wings")

Though Season 3 of JLU is still great since it gave us this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSQ-h_2WGkw

Of course, the Batman Beyond Unlimited revealed even more horrible things in that universe like Barbra getting pregnant with Bruce's child and then later losing it in a fight, or supervillain making her fiance (not Dick) jump off of a building in exchange for not hurting her or anyone else at their own wedding, or Vixen's death being the spark that brought John Stewart and Hawkgirl back together.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

The premise is actually "What if Batman were also Spider-Man?" and considered in that light it makes much more sense.

I remember getting a few issues of Spider-Man 2099 and they felt really similar in setting and in some of the powers

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Right, yeah, but what actually happened wasn't that visually exciting. We know she won't be the one to topple Kivira, so at least make it look like she put in a good effort. Maybe dogpile our resident overlord with some remote-controlled powersuits after her first plan fails, and then try to escape before being captured. C'mon, we had a brief taste of why Varrick calls her a 'cold, heartless war machine' earlier in the season, let's step it up a notch.

I don't feel like it would be quite in character for her to do something like that. Subtle relentless sabotage fits Zhu Li better than all out assault. Remote controlled powersuits sounds more like something Varrick would do.

Also, clearly Su's father is just some dude name Johto just like Lin's dad is named Kanto

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

X_Toad posted:

She didn't care, and apparently she believes that young people ought to resolve their own problems.

They really went through hoops to have that canon survive the encounter, didn't they? Toph didn't touch it for somewhat flimsy reasons, and Bolin, the guy who could have drowned it in lava, was off saving Zhu Li.

It seems consistent with how Toph is now. She just wants to sit back and chill for the most part. Rava help you if you touch her family, but beyond that do whatever you want. Even when Toph's swamp was getting harvested, she gave zero fucks about it (or at least, nothing was shown to indicate her caring).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I eagerly anticipate the comic where we get to see Varrick and Su and maybe some of the Red Lotus way back when they were in the circus.

Also, just because Asami didn't get a lot of on-screen action doesn't mean she didn't get some off-screen :pervert:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

Speaking of Metal Gear, I wished they went with another mech design. Something like Rex*, that thing from MGS3 I can't spell, or Excelsus. These designs get rid of the whole silly tripping problem.

*Never open cockpit, just blindfire.

The Colossus didn't really fall over until an entire building was dropped on it though so I don't think tipping was a problem

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I still want a comic about Varrick and Su and their time in the circus. Possibly with appearances by some of the Red Lotus.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

LEGO Genetics posted:

so you're saying SHAFT should animate the next series of Avatar
because I'm 100% OK with that

If it was focused on the Spirit World, I think Shaft's particular style would work for such a strange place. However, I don't think they're right for a setting in the human world.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

The long period of friendship between Korra and Asami is precisely what makes their romance seem so abrupt. It'd be like at the end of Last Airbender if Toph just layed one on Katara. We'd all be cheering at the progressive nature of the relationship and melodramatically rending our clothes at the thought that, finally, gay relationships are represented in cartoons, but it would still be weirdly out of the blue.

Friendship can lead to romance you know.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Does the spirit of Raava have, like, a choice when it comes to who she gets reborn into? Or is she kind of just limited to whatever hand she's dealt? Like what if she was born into a quadraplegic, or a literal psychopath like Joffrey Barratheon?

You're thinking too hard about spiritual metaphysics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ambivalent posted:

Bending could allow for all kinds of wacky advancement in all kinds of directions, and not just in obvious ways. Mining in a world with earthbenders could mean that you have access to as much ore of any kind as basically exists in the world, instead of having to go through centuries of prospecting and haphazard, inefficient mining tech. That could make it more feasible to do all sorts of other silly stuff. Like build a giant robot out of platinum

This was actually addressed in one of the latest comics with processing ore. Essentially, technology would still outpace benders eventually, but it would take longer to make them obsolete since benders haves a higher level of productivity than normal humans. Also, cave ins are still a danger, even to earthbenders, just less so.

• Locked thread