Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I was eagerly awaiting the Magic 2010 thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Magic Online Digital Objects

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Wind Zendikon + Followed Footsteps = Npost

Cernunnos posted:

12. 4 Cloudpost, 4 Glimmerpost, 4 Vesuva.

I don't know where he's getting 16 from.

Thespian's Stage.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Tracula posted:

Any sort of consensus on what to do with foil fetch lands? I could see regular ones dropping as the market gets more saturated but not really sure what to do with the shiny ones.

Hold for years.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Huh. That's certainly bridging the gap between the wedge set and and something, but I don't know what the other thing is.

Actually, based on the modal spell: Since the first set is all non-dragons, the third set is 100% dragons. It's like poetry. It rhymes.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Check this sweet combo:

Sigarda, Host of Herons. City in a Bottle. Donate City in a Bottle. Play Desert. The game ends in a draw.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Cernunnos posted:

How are you playing Desert with City in a Bottle on the field?

Clearly I'm getting it into play with a crop rotation. Ignore what I said before.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Anecdotally, the best sleeves you can get now are Dragon Shield Purples. I have never known one to split, and have seen them last 10 years.

Not any of those other colors though, those are trash.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I Love You! posted:

The problem with Sultai Ascendancy is that it doesn't do anything.

No, it does nothing.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Kabanaw posted:

You misunderstand what a mana ability is. A mana ability:

1) Generates mana upon resolving
2) Does not target
3) Is not a loyalty ability

If it doesn't follow all those rules, it's not a mana ability, it uses the stack, and it can be stifled.

An ability doesn't necessarily have to generate mana to be a mana ability. For example, Selvala's ability could generate no mana at all, but it's still a mana ability as long as it could potentially generate mana.
There's also the additional restriction that triggered mana abilities must trigger off of a a mana ability. So, if you had a Wild Growth attached to a Witch Engine somehow, you could stifle the wild growth.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Mordieth posted:

I love how he thinks you swords your own guys to gain life and that you randomly have 10 cmc spells in your deck (even without bob!)

In hearthstone, curves are way higher, A control deck is like half 5cmc+. And, all the good bombs are ~10 mana. It's just a consequence of the difference between the mana system in magic and in hearthstone.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Toshimo posted:

You aren't playing EDH/Commander at that point, though. You're playing freeform.

You can play that all you want, but calling it Commander/EDH is disingenuous and wrong.

What do you call the game that is exactly commander except you get a free mulligan?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It's not due to lazy programmers, it's because players complained about clicking yes a billion times. It made soul's attendant materially more annoying to play with than soul warden, for example. Now they're conscientious about triggers and prompts when designing new cards.

I don't play modo, but forge has a thing where you can choose to "always accept" to a specific optional ability. Does that not exist in modo?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

DarkRider09 posted:

What event was this? Wondering what kind of deck can be good without the reserve list cards.

Wasteland and FoW aren't on the reserve list, so basically any monocolored deck that doesn't run tabernacle.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Well, what are you supposed to do when your opponent scoops up his cards without flipping a morph? Is it your fault for expecting him to know the rules and not reminding him ahead of time?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

A related question I've had in the back of my mind: what creatures are there whose names are identical (or close) to their creature types? For example, Goblin Wizard is a goblin wizard, Goblin Mutant is a goblin mutant, Nomadic Elf is an elf nomad, Elvish Scout is an elf scout, etc.

Warrior Angel. Illusory Angel. Centaur Archer. Elvish Archers. Goblin Assassin. Merfolk Assassin. Zombie Assassin. Assembly-Worker. Atog. Aurochs. Dwarven Berserker. Elvish Berserker. Goblin Berserker. Ogre Berserker. Brushwagg. Camel. Cat Warriors. Cephalid Scout. Cockatrice. Sliver Construct. Skeletal Crocodile. Dauthi Horror. Dauthi Mercenary. Illusory Demon. Vampiric Dragon. Spike Drone. Dwarven Nomad. Dwarven Soldier. Dwarven Warriors. Viashino Warrior. Fungus Elemental. Plant Elemental. Elvish Warrior. Fungus Elemental. Fungus Sliver. Homarid. Homarid Shaman. Homarid Warrior. Ghost Hounds. Vampire Hounds. Illusionary Wall. Juggernaut. Kavu Scout. Nomads en-Kor. Shaman en-Kor. Spirit en-Kor. Warrior en-Kor. Leeches. Leviathan. Lhurgoyf. Lizard Warrior. Masticore. Mercenary Knight. Mercenaries. Metathran Soldier. Metathran Zombie. Minotaur Warrior. Nightmare. Ogre Shaman. Ogre Warrior. Orgg. Phelddagrif. Scarecrow. Shapeshifter. Viashino Skeleton. Skeletal Snake. Skeletal Wurm. Skeletal Vampire. Spike Soldier. Thalakos Scout. Thrull Wizard.

Some other cards whose names are types, but whose types aren't their names:

Angelic Wall. Rogue Elephant. Rogue Kavu. Spike Rogue. Elvish Mystic. Giant Badger. Giant Crab. Giant Octopus. Giant Scorpion. Giant Slug. Giant Spider. Giant Turtle. Spiritmonger. Sand Golem. Sand Squid. Viashino Sandscout. Goblin Scouts. Vampiric Sliver. Mystic Snake. Spike Soldier. Elder Spawn. Elder Druid. Vampiric Spirit. Splinter. Treefolk Mystic. Vampire Bats. Serpent Assassin. Serpent Warrior. Elder Land Wurm. Land Leeches. Snow Hound. Mountain Yeti. Mountain Goat. Forest Bear. Goblin Shrine. Dwarven Shrine. Tribal Golem. Elvish Vanguard. Gate Hound. Dragonlair Spider. Orcish Mine. Tower Drake. Tower Gargoyle.

Bonus card that I found that is great:
Steal Enchantment UU Enchantment - Aura. Enchant enchantment. You control enchanted enchantment.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Entropic posted:

Along the same lines:

What's strange with this?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The ruling for asnhod's coupon is that the errata isn't actually errata. It's printed on the card.

Entropic posted:

They forgot something. Look it up on Gatherer and check the rulings.

It's supposed to be an artifact creature, hence the artifact frame, but they forgot to actually write that on the card

Clearly it's a hint at ROE.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 26, 2014

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Count Bleck posted:

What is the art even depicting here?

"Whoops dropped my stick, guess I'm dead!"

At least it's better than this art:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Ramos posted:

Containment Priest is the money card. The commander from the red deck is also getting a lot of talk, though it also has Goblin Tinkerer which is good in Legacy.

I don't think Goblin Tinkerer is all that good in legacy. It would probably be better in vintage, where mox monkey has a place.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
What are the Victreebels for?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Cactrot posted:

If worked on your main phase, it would have been busted in any standard with fireball, but it'd still be too slow for legacy and modern I think.

Let me tell you about a card named Black Market

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Sounds like the big mystery product announcement is tomorrow, after the WMC finals and before the Players Championship finals. Who wants to take the "something other than Modern Master 2" line?

3rd (tecnically 4th (technically 5th)) un-set.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Er, don't you mean drop? If it follows the same pattern as the first one, everything reprinted will drop and everything not reprinted will spike, and then a year later everything will be back where it was or higher.

Those cards weren't in mm1.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Chamale posted:

What un-sets are you thinking of besides Unglued and Unhinged?

Those cards were not in MM1. An MM2 would, hopefully, include them.

Unglued 2 and Unlimited.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Gounads posted:

I'd appreciate that, I'll try to put a list together. But, they're not in great condition so I doubt there's a lot of value.

Unfortunately, they are all mixed up, no idea what my deck was. I know I had a red and black decks, so I'll start there.

As long as they're in playable condition, expensive cards are expensive cards.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Hopping Ghost posted:

My Magic career's had a similar timeline. I stopped in Saga block, then cracked an Innistrad pack just because Oh Hey Magic's Still A Thing, Let's Check It Out. The rare was double-sided Garruk. That was a pretty big surprise.

Garruk didn't use the rare slot. Your story is full of holes. What are you hiding?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Effectively, yeah. Most cases where you untap your lands can be justified with a combination of the comp rules rewind and the MTR out-of-order sequencing rule.

Even if you tapped your lands before showing your opponent the card, it's generally assumed that you did it as part of casting the spell. So, when you take the spell back, you rewind to before you tapped your lands.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Chill la Chill posted:

Layers system is a relic of old, bad game design and I'm glad when new systems don't have anything like it. It works well for what it does since this game is a working prototype but it really belongs in the forgotten grognards basement of clunky detailed rules design. Planes walker design fits in there too but unlike the wise decision of FFG to reboot the game with streamlined rules WOTC just keeps trudging on

I can't really think of a better way to do layers. Layers are designed to make things seem intuitive. "Just do everything in timestamp order" is a much easier rule to remember, but it leads to strange things. Lots of games have something similar, but they aren't spelled out in the rules, and instead spread across disparate rulings for specific interactions.

The other solution is to get rid of all of the continuous effects that can lead to confusing interaction, and just leave us with p/t modifiers and ability adding. But, that's getting rid of a large quantity of effects that exist in magic.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Concerning rebooting magic: The rules have changed dramatically a couple times. Old cards, and the interactions that go along with them are continuously rotating away. Magic is being constantly reinvented. It doesn't really need a messy hard reboot.

Cernunnos posted:

If you read magic threads enough you'll find that people will ragequit over just about anything.

You'll also learn that Wizards is totally killing Magic this week for a completely different reason than whatever they were doing last week. :v:

Magic was a great game before Mark Rosewater came along and killed it 18 years ago.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Keiya posted:

Yeah, honestly the way gaining and losing evasion mid-combat works is FAR worse than layers. I lost a game to flipping up that guy with morph and unblockable thinking it'd let him through and it didn't... grr.

That's actually a really simple rule. If they've already blocked him, then that's it, he's blocked. You can unmorph him before they block so they can't block it, but once he's blocked, that's it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Can timetwister be my commander?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
So, I can make Inkmoth Nexus my noble, and have 4 berserks as my uncommons?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
My commander is force of will.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Keiya posted:

But it's bullshit unintuitive. "Here, have a card you can flip up to surprise your opponent... except surprising them doesn't actually work and we're not going to mention that on the card."

You can still surprise them, just flip it before blockers.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I saw a new player perform amazingly with a reanimator deck. t1 grizzlebees just makes plain sense to johnnies, timmies and spikes alike.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Calling it now: A card with "spells you cast have Entwine."

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Wizards please reprint Jitte in the modal set. Obviously for flavor reasons, it would have to be a functional reprint of Jitte.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It works within the rules, but if they make that card, I'd imagine word of command would have to get an update to make it a lot shorter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
With something like that, as long as one mode has no legal targets, you can pick that mode, then you do a comp rules rewind to before they cast that spell, effectively making them unable to cast their charm.

• Locked thread