Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

ungulateman posted:

Arriving on the ground floor to say that I am really looking forward to today's SCG Open!

Ooooh yeah SCG Open is today! But how will we tell if Legacy is on, if all decks have fetches? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Skillface posted:

I would take SCG's stream quality over 99% of Wizards ones.

e: Also, they don't go to another game in Round 1 usually for some reason. Most other rounds they do.

Usually depends on time, and if their other game options are done yet or not as well.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

qbert posted:

That Legacy final was so fun to watch. Khans commons and uncommons completely wrecking Legacy is just a beauty to watch.

Bonus that the deck is actually pretty reasonable price-wise to build for a Legacy deck. I expect a lot of people to build it moving forward.

drat I just looked it up and yeah it's pretty cheap overall. Fetches are currently in print, so the actually expensive cards are just the Forces, maybe the Forked Bolts too? Definitely cheap for a deck that just won a Legacy Open.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

qbert posted:

Volcanic Island, Scalding Tarn, and Force of Will. Everything else in the deck could probably be bought for $150. Of course the duals are the true expense of the deck, but that's true of most legacy decks, and this one only plays 4.

Yeah I forgot about the Volcanics, and grouped Scalding Tarn with the rest of the fetches since it's all but guaranteed it will be reprinted within Tarkir block. But hey, 150 for the rest is pretty good, if you already have a Force or Volcanic around in general.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So legacy people, explain to me Monastery Swiftspear vs. Goblin Guide. I wasn't sold on Spear because I figured Guide was better. I knew it could grow bigger than 2/2 but I guess I didn't count on four Treasure Cruise actually being practical and giving it enough gas to do more over the course of a game.

Does Goblin Guide's trigger tend to get exploited by Brainstorm to get a free extra card? Is it common enough that that's a real factor vs. just average damage per turn?

If you're referring to the Legacy Open winner, it's probably because Delver generally wants non-creature spells, so the average damage goes higher I imagine. Goblin Guide isn't a card really getting played in Delver decks anyway, but Swiftspear has good interaction with Delver's tools in general.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Just opened 6 Khans packs (yeah I know, but I had store credit and didn't wanna think too much about it), got a Windswept Heath and a Wooded Foothills. Not bad :) Also cracked a Swiftspear, Murderous Cut, and Butcher

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

So speaking of Chapin, when's he coming back to SCG stream commentary?

He's just intoxicating when he does that, it's always killing me.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cernunnos posted:

:drat:

Anyone who believes foreign language cards are worth more than a native language one deserves to be ripped off that badly.

I wish I could find some French cards. Apparently no one cares about French. :france:

I'll ask at my local store if they can hook us up with some French KTK boxes, that sounds like great fun.

EDIT: :france:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Can Deflecting Palm and the like work on burn spells where the damage is redirected to planeswalkers? Or must it be damage that, on resolution, hits you?

What is the point of the redirect rule for non-combat damage to walkers anyway?

Burn spells target you, not your walker, the choice to redirect to the 'walker is made after it resolves. So at the point you'll know who's getting burnt, you won't be able to cast Palm any more, because it will have happened.

Basically, yes, they do work on burn spells, technically? But you can never know if they're shooting you or your walker before casting Palm, if that was what you're asking. And the reason for the redirect rule is so that they wouldn't go and change however many "target player" effects for just damage from what I know. Also it sounds kinda cumbersome.

VV: Pretty much, yeah, that's exactly it. Thanks. :)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

ΛΛ: They choose whether to shoot your or your walker after the spell is already resolving. Even if they say "Bolt your Tamiyo" as a shortcut to "Bolt you, if it resolves, hit Tamiyo", if you choose to respond with anything (even an unrelated effect), they are not bound by their Tamiyo choice. So any damage that Palm could see would happen to you, and be redirected appropriately (depending on how the replacement effects work, but I'll trust them on that, it's past 2am right now)

Cactrot posted:

It doesn't target, the damage is applied to the source's controller, so you can't redirect it to an opponent's planeswalker.

This is wrong, you absolutely can. You just redirect it as you would any noncombat damage effect.

The Comp Rules posted:

306.7. If noncombat damage would be dealt to a player by a source controlled by an opponent, that opponent may have that source deal that damage to a planeswalker the first player controls instead. This is a redirection effect (see rule 614.9) and is subject to the normal rules for ordering replacement effects (see rule 616). The opponent chooses whether to redirect the damage as the redirection effect is applied.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 2, 2014

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Holy poo poo this FNM draft was fun. Six of us in a pool, including a younger dude who was playing in literally his second tournament. We pay our cash, get a booster box, and figure out how to give prize packs. Two each, with the last 6 packs going 3-3 to the top two. Kid opens his right away, two fetches (Flooded Strand and Wooded Foothills, or maybe Windswept Heath). Draft happens, two more fetches get opened. He gets second place due to tiebreakers. With his second pick (we do rare redrafting), he gets the Bloodstained Mire off the table. Then he opens his packs, and cracks a Polluted Delta and one of the Khans.

Not bad for the price of four boosters (17 euro each, a booster is 4 euros). Jesus.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Found that Zendikar fetches are still pretty valuable. Surprised since I thought the Onslaught of Tarkir ones were just as good in most decks. Maybe time to move them in case of a reprint in Louie?

Yeah, that would be a good idea. It's all but certain that the cycle will be completed, so if they hold value, push now. The ONS fetches seem to be around double the price of the KTK ones, but it's still a pretty big drop.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

bhsman posted:

Also possible, but I still think they won't do it within this set, and if they don't it likely won't be for another few.

They've said a whole lot of times that if they were to reprint the fetches they'd reprint them all in the same block.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

bhsman posted:

Do you have a link? That's the first I've heard of it, but it would be awesome if they did.

It's been on MaRo's tumblr whenever people would ask about the fetches, they don't/didn't like not having them all in Modern, and also that they all need a reprint, so the plan is to do them all.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I know it's not their primary focus, but I wonder how much Wizards tested Treasure Cruise in eternal formats prior to setting the final mana cost and how much they wish they could bump it up to 9U or 10U now - and I can't even tell if that would make much of a difference.

MaRo has said that there's a reason it's a sorcery and not an instant like Ancestral Recall, hinting that it was too powerful during testing to make it an instant.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

What happens if you cast a lethal Burn Away on Kozilek, Butcher of Truth? Does he and the graveyard get exiled by Burn Away's exile, or does the library get shuffled before Burn Away's exile?

Depend on whose turn is it, unless I'm misremembering Kozilek. If it's your turn, Kozilek shuffles it first, if it's theirs, it all gets exiled.

They're both triggered abilities, so they go on the stack at the same time, in APNAP (active player - non active player) order. The one belonging to the non-active player resolves first.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I Love You! posted:

These suggestions are all really good guys keep them coming.

Mana weaving is a good idea too.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Off to take my Level 1 test. After months this is it, I'm so excited.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I wish we could see LSV and Chapin doing commentary together. :allears:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

mr. mephistopheles posted:

*Dirt cheap if you already have the stupid expensive modern manabase.

SCG has Steam Vents at 10 bucks, Scalding Tarn at 50 and Polluted Delta at 25, and as Deofuta already said, fetch prices are going even lower, not to mention the coming reprint of the ZEN fetches as well. Yeah, 300+$ bucks isn't dirt cheap, but the list is very unoptimized in terms of pure savings. Hell, right off the bad, if you replaced 3 of the Tarns with 3 more Flooded Strands, you'd save 90 bucks or something right there, with a minor downside (not being able to fetch the solitary basic Mountain).

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Before this post, I'd like to say that I've never touched MTGO, and it's all from what I've heard from here.

From what I gather, I feel that the best solution for MTGO would be to set up a second team, developing a new version of it, completely separate from the current one. Take into account weird effects (controlling opponents for example), get Judges in if there's issues in working stuff out, codify and categorize all the effects, make a good structure for the cards to avoid any issues with targeting etc. Of course this is an ideal off the top of my head, and it would take a lot of time and work, but I don't doubt that it would be a great investment for Wizards, in terms of revenue, even if we just consider how many more people would play it, at least if they make it happen in a timely manner.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sickening posted:

I honestly didn't understand what it took to become a judge and I am loving shocked. The kind of person who would voluntarily go through this process is almost as confusing to me as the people who thought up this convoluted scheme of testing and interviews for what I would consider not very serious.

I passed my L1 exam on Saturday (:toot:) and it feels nice, to be able to be involved with Magic despite being bad at it, to say the least. The interviews were "Why do you wanna be a Judge" pretty much, and the testing is stuff that could come up at your FNM or general casual play, it's not exactly rocket science. And hey, I'm a bad player, so why not do this, get involved with the game's community on a more organizing level, help my store run events and whatnot?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Gensuki posted:

Kind of an out of date question, but how does Champion work if you Champion a Champion? Will it return the first card, or will it get "buried"?

I want to say it goes... play an elf
Champion an Elf (elf is exiled)
Champion a creature (Champ. Elf is exiled, elf returns)
Champ.Champ dies, Champ. Elf returns and requires you to exile elf.
Champ. Elf dies and elf comes back?

You have three dudes, A, B and C. B and C have "Champion a guy".
A is in
B comes in, exiles A
C comes in, exiles B
B's "leaves the battlefield" trigger happens, puts A back in

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

If you have Leyline of Singularity out and you play 2 Mistbind Cliques, can you champion a Mistbind Clique with a Mistbind Clique or do you sacrifice it first?

You sac first, it's a state-based action, whereas the champion one is a triggered ability. Also, if you sacrifice the one that's already in play when the second one comes in, you still need to exile something or sac the second one as well.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Yeah as another poster said, spell piercing a mana leak is obviously a legitimate play in many circumstances. The opposite is obviously never correct (unless someone is about to monstrous a Stormbreath Dragon against you or hitting you with a Sword of War and Peace I guess??).

Mana Leaking a Spell Pierce isn't always wrong. Hell, even if they pay/counter your Leak, you can still pay for the Pierce. Sure it's not the best value more often than not, but "obviously never correct" isn't right.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Jabor posted:

It's about as correct as discarding two artifacts after casting Thirst for Knowledge. The end result being that you've spent the same amount of mana, but have moved one additional card from your hand to your graveyard.

Like people said, it's niche, but I can see why it can be correct sometimes. Other situations:
-Young Pyromancer, Jeskai Ascendancy, or generally anything that triggers on casting spells
-Extra Delve/Goyf/Deathrite stuff
-You're going to cast Praetor's Counsel or Time Spiral or something similar
-Isochron Scepter

Still, it is very often not the right play. Wadjamaloo probably knows more about the specific one in question though.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

What about Breakfast Burrito? A bunch of random stuff appears and implodes, then a shifty dude pops in, who does a thing? I'm stumped.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

- Some effects have moved around the colour pie. Green gets card draw and 'fight' style removal, red gets temporary stealing and casting, etc.

I'd like to point out that Green gets creature-based card advantage, with stuff like tokens, or sorta-searching effects (Genesis Hydra etc), or creature-based drawing, and not outright "draw cards" stuff, that is the domain of Blue, Black (often with paying life) and Red (often with discarding, or similar).

xeose4 posted:

Back in my day, everything was straightforward: Green wanted to get big dudes up, or small dudes and then buff them. Red wanted quick expendable creatures with haste and first strike plus damage spells. White was like Green but they had some tricks up their sleeves with spells that could instakill your threats. Black was about weakening the enemy with -X/-X because their own creatures were always substandard for their cost. And Blue was all about control, delaying until you got your big guns out.

This isn't hugely far from what's happening now, Green still likes big dudes (its signature creatures in the current Standard are a 5/5 for 4 mana, and a 4/5 trample for 4 mana) and ramp, less so small dudes. Red is very much the more aggressive colour, with stuff like Goblin Rabblemaster and his tokens. White is more controlling, getting some good value (the aforementioned 4/5 trampler is also white and has a life-drain effect), whereas black is more in the domain of single-target removal and often efficient creatures (sometimes with drawbacks or otherwise needing some support). Blue is still Blue, card draw and advantage being its most obvious characteristic, along with counterspells, and the previous Standard had a Blue-White control deck be a pretty dominant force in the format.

As to your Stack comment, the stack is easy. Think of every ability (except stuff that just gives you mana) as a plate. They all stack up, in order. So I put my plate down, then your response goes on top of it. When neither player responds to the top one, the top one's effect happens. There's more to it than that, of course, but at its core, it's not a bad way to think of it to get started.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Mortimer posted:

holy poo poo we just got past that dumb discussion please don't do it again for another 10 pages

Agreeing with this, when I saw 150~ new posts this morning I thought Commander 2014 spoilers had dropped or something.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Zoness posted:

What we should really do is get giant red C's (or S's) and make people who have served DCI suspensions wear them at tournaments.

I think it needs to be more ironic. Maybe, since White is the colour most morally opposed to cheating, to put a white mana symbol on their shirts, so that everyone can see. And to prevent them from changing DCI numbers, they can get a tattoo of them. :v:

Dumb jokes aside, doxxing is idiotic. Dude cheats at a card game, and he's already going to lose out on the prizes, and get banned, he's not a murderer.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

xeose4 posted:

EDIT: Is Captivating Vampire's an activated ability? If not, what type of ability is it? Can you counter it? What happens to the vampires you tapped if you counter that ability (somehow)? Do they untap?

It's an activated ability. They stay tapped, just as if you'd paid mana (You'd lose the mana). They untap whenever they'd next untap, as normal.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Heh look at wizards being optimistic that their game will last until TYOOL 9999 :smug:

It's 10000AD.
The thieves have already been banned from every store in Earth, Mars, and the rest of United Sol System.
Their only safe harbour is Magic Online.
The draft (Return To Return To Return To Ravnica 2: Eclectic Boogaloo: The Revenge flashback draft) goes well, onto game 1.
At turn 3, they time out, and file a reimbursement report to Wizards.
The promise is that all the issues will be fixed in the next version, and they get their tickets back.
A tear rolls down the man's face, hiding in the corners of his smile.
"After all this time, it's still the same."

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

Honestly at big tournaments they should just have judges/3rd party shufflers shuffling decks. Seems like it would avoid the problem entirely with little disruption.

I believe you can ask a Judge to shuffle a deck, but I'm not sure how common a practice it is and/or the RELs at which it's possible.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Are the colours of mana recognised as distinct things in-multiverse. Does Chandra know she draws on red mana or just that she is a pyromancer?

I think they were, but I'm not sure about what's the deal post-Mending.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Chamale posted:

OH

MY

GOD

I sent the picture to my friend and that was my exact commentary.

Also, the Soldiers deck looks like hella fun, just swing with dudes. Loved seeing Slivers vs. Lands earlier, with both at 4-0 too.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

This card seems made for Riku decks. (if tumblr is hotlinking I can upload on imgur)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Applebees posted:

The preview card from Reid Duke's article, like Krosan Verge, isn't exciting to me, and I think it is worded awkwardly. It should have said "two basic land cards with the same name" to be clear that you are never going to get two different lands (snow lands aside). I've already seen people assuming that because it mentions land types that you can get shock lands that share a type.

At first read that's why it's there but it says basic lands so it's a bit eh. Probably for the corner case of fetching a basic and a snow basic maybe?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Niton posted:

I could see 12-post trying it as a one-of if it worked that way. Fetching two Locuses or Snow-Covered Forest + Dark Depths would at least have some potential.

Even without the "basic" one it couldn't work, since Snow is a supertype.
Similarly, on why Tribal isn't a supertype, it's because supertypes can't have subtypes.

VV: Oh yeah that would be neat. Hell, even two basic-typed duals would work, and I very much doubt it would be particularly super powerful, more like some good colorless ramp.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 27, 2014

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Well, either way it won't see play in Legacy.

Good thing it was designed for Commander then, and not Legacy. If the -2 was Tinker, it wouldn't see play either, because it'd get banned immediately.

Zemyla posted:

I'm angry that this rear end in a top hat isn't Slobad. Seriously, all the abilities fit him, and I bet he was Slobad until late in development.

I thought design and creative had the most say in characters and names. It could be creative saving Slobad for something, but I'm 99% sure that development doesn't really care about who a character is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Chamale posted:

He's an extra 3 mana for a Goblin Welder with haste. I don't see him replacing Welder in anything, but maybe Imperial Painter wants a Daretti as an extra copy?

The thing with Painter is that it uses Recruiter to look for creatures (Painter's Servant and Welder mostly), and Daretti is a 'walker.

• Locked thread