Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
I'm currently 5-1 at scg indy with my mardu brew with literally the worst sideboard I have ever built. Too bad there's no coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

AgentSythe posted:

img-timeline.jpg

Guy that is 5-1 at SCG Indy: have you seen a lot of BUG in the room? Brad Nelson is doing okay with it in NJ but I think that deck is super sweet.

This is late, but I ended at 8-2 with a mardu deck. Played what is arguably my worst matchup all day, monsters 7 of my 10 matches. I seen a large variety of monster builds. naya, selsesnya, mono green, azban, golgari, gruul.

One of my matches was against esper control but I couldn't tell you what he did because I killed him on turns 5 and 4 respectively each game while wrecking his hand of any interaction he could possibly have.

Another was against a guy playing azban 12 wrath walkers dot dec, that wasn't pretty for me. I did get him one game but it was pre board and I was on the play, and had a very good draw.

The final deck was mono black aggro. It basically was a bunch of 1 drops and cane at you hard and quick, using its' own life total to hedge for cheap removal and threats.

My review of the format, I would say this is a format where it's all about attacking past one another, rarely all night did I see blocks that weren't in desperation to prevent lethal, and even then just enough to shut down lethal. Control isn't really a thing, any removal that does less than 4 is almost outright awful unless it was drown in sorrow or anger of the gods.

Stormbreath dragon is still really good (especially with a lot of the other flyers and good removal being white) and sarkhan is not a replacement and underperformed every time I seen someone play it, very much a win-more type card that more often than not was used as a 5 mana sorcery speed stoke the flames.

Jeskai combo is fairly real, in both standard and modern. I feel like the standard list could be tuned to be more optimal, but the only three lists (that I knew about) ran in the building in standard made top 16, top 32, and the other had a winning record too. There were almost no other mardu lists either, and I didn't see a single mono red list.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Why the gently caress are standard decks costing 500-800 dollars to build? I already have all the cards but that is insane.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

This is the PT winning deck 1 week after the PT of course it will be expensive. It is at its total peak.

But, all the theros cards in that deck were 20-50% cheaper not 5 weeks ago. Also all the ktk cards in that set will be 20-50% cheaper by new years. $800 is not a really accurate figure.

Cool, 20% cheaper by new years, when some of those cards will be replaced by insanely overpriced cards from the next set.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Zorak posted:

Siege Rhino doesn't care if you've got removal, even if you remove it you're basically not outracing the deck it's in. I'm not sure what kind of deck could be built to actually combat it at this point.

I have a deck that beats this one a fairly high percent of the time.

4 mardu ascendancy
4 goblin rabblemaster
3 butcher of the horde
4 swiftspear Monestary
4 crackling doom
2 bloodsoaked champion
3 street denizen
3 magma jet
2 stoke the flames
4 Akroan Hoplite
3 Seeker of the Way
4 Mardu land
4 Bloodstained Mire
1 Plains
1 Swamp
4 Mountain
3 Battlefield Forge
3 w/b pain
3 mana confluence
1 urborg

4 Lightning Strike
1 Magma Jet
2 Stoke the Flames
2 Utter End
4 Thoughtseize
2 Ride Down

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

I don't like the guy who won the tcg 50k. Pretty much every interaction ive had with him was quite negative.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

I used to think valentines day wasa hallmark holiday but then I remember allthe kinky things I got to do because of a hallmark holiday

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Rinkles posted:

That's a thing, or do you mean in the "playing to win" sense?

There are some very competitive commander leagues on modo.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Tell me about it, I finally made it to an FNM last night and it ended up being a six-rounder :gonk: I was ready to collapse by the end having not eaten since noon, and I thought the dude I played in the last round (which decided who gets prizes) was going to jump me in the parking lot. Ended up 4-2 playing Sub Slight beating BGx 2-0, RUG Morphs 2-1, and Mardu Midrange 2-0, then losing to RG Ramp 0-2 and Mardu Tokens 1-2, then beating Jeskai Midrange 2-1. The last guy also told me "you need to be better at combat math" after game 1, didn't shake my hand after the match (I offered it, which I guess offended him) then I heard him complaining about being done with Standard afterwords. I want to chalk that up to still playing FNM past midnight, but maybe if every single land in your deck didn't come into play tapped you'd get better mana, dick.

Everyone else was nice though, my round 3 opponent was some kid just getting into the game and I let him play Modern against me with my Goblin deck and he loved it.

Pretty sure I know who you played against, he has a big beard with blonde/dirty blonde hair, late 20's and a stocky build. He does that to literally everybody. He's a massive baby, his nickname in our group is princess. Don't take it personally.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Ojetor posted:

I can't believe this hasn't been posted:

Haha oh wow

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Is using sultai ascendancy to set up courser flips and further enable delve spells viable? I aim to find out.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Well you can fix it that after you draw you flip a land, but to do so nothing is dropped in the yard, since you would need to put the other card on the land and draw it. It's not a nonbo and let's you get what you want at the time, and gets some card advantage by putting land in the right places, you just can't load the yard at the same time.

When flipping 2 spells, you can ditch one of them for delve and a shot at flipping a land. If you flip 2 lands, just toss them both if you don't need them. Also courser probably won't be out all that often, but having either will smooth your draws.

Another tactic to deploy when both are out are being able to see 5 cards (can't draw the 5th naturally) off the top if you really need to, with a fetch available.

E: you could do the same thing if you replace fetch with dig through time using thr cards you just ditched.

Tonetta fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 19, 2014

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

There's also the clause of running more delve spells, because of it.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Emerson Cod posted:

Its fantastic for grinding out completely sets of cards. We cashed out 4 sets of Theros and are about to do the same with Khans. The value online is less than half of the total paper set value, even with the redemption fees.

I did this too last season to buy into paper standard, cashed out all my rtr-bng and have just sold off all the stuff I didn't give a poo poo about, to use for later sets.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Your deck is loaded in the same way at the begining of each game before the shuffler, you used to be able to determine what it was by starting a game, and opponent conceding match before deciding who is playing and drawing. Don't know if it still works that way.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Posing with asscracks isnt in the rulebook and look what happened to that guy

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Anybody going to the 5k in chicago today? If youre here and have a competitive edh or standard deck i would like to play in between rounds. My lgs is going to swap fnm to edh so any help playtesting would be good.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

C-Euro posted:

I was at FNM last night and a bunch of guys in the "good" crowd were talking about carpooling over there today. If you want EDH practice my store is doing a 1v1 round robin thing today, come over and let's hustle the less-ambitious players who stayed in town :getin:

E: Any idea why Chalice of the Void tripled in price over the last week or so? I picked up the last two I needed for ~$5 each last week and now I see it hovering around $15. Who's running them?

Yeah i met up with those guys lol. Chalice has the special effect of ending the life of a delver player. Also it turns off combo decks such as ascendancy.

When is that round robin thing? If i can't top 8 and can make it there in reasonable time i probably will show up.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

C-Euro posted:

I'm pretty sure it's at 1 so you might be cutting it close, depending on when the 5k started. It might also be four-player pods and not 1v1 but they aren't open yet so I can't call to confirm. I think I still have your number so I'll shoot you a message if I learn more.

Well I'm glad I picked up my playset then! Except my LGS just got rid of its weekly Modern and monthly Legacy nights :negative:

I'm 2-0 at the 5k and not only is it only 150 players (8 rounds) but from walking around it looks like i brought a good deck into the meta here so i think i have to stay. I should be going to dekalb next weekend though.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

5-0 and it's an 8 round 5k. I just need to win one of the next 2 and i'm in on draws. 50% chance at the feature match cause theres only 4 x-0's now. Brew decks are so cool

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Andrew tenjum crushed my dream of double id into top 8. Now i have to win the next one. Rip.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Alris posted:

Good luck buddy! Let us know how you do!

I died. My friend mason locked top 8 though, beating hoogland with a hilarious blowout

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

MiddleEastBeast posted:

What was your brew?

4 Akroan Hoplite
4 Mardu Ascendancy
4 Monestary Swiftspear
4 Seeker of the Way
4 Butcher of the Horde
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
3 Stoke the Flames
2 Magma Jet
2 Chained to the Rocks
4 Crackling Doom

4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Mountain
1 Swamp
2 Plains
1 Caves of Coilos
2 Temple of Triumph
3 Battlefield Forge
3 Mana Confluence
4 Nomad Outpost
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

---------------
3 Gods Willing
2 Magma Jet
1 Chained to the Rocks
4 Lighting Strike
1 Stoke the Flames
1 Empty the Pits
3 Utter End

Moving forward, I will be cutting 1 magma jet, 1 chained to the rocks, 1 empty the pits for 3 murderous cut in the sideboard. I really just want to play hero's downfall (and have for awhile) but the double black is almost back-breaking to get by turn 4 consistently without killing myself on my mana base. That same very argument could be had with Chained to the Rocks and having mountains, given I only have 4 copies of it, which is essentially why I'm cutting one. Whether or not it's an instant or sorcery speed has almost no bearing whatsoever, because I intend to play all my spells on my turn anyways to use my 8 prowess creatures.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Samael posted:

Sorry, a bit late on this but been trying to brew something like this for a while and would like your opinions-

Why Magma Jet over Lightning Strike? There are plenty of 3 toughness things out there. Is the scry 2 that important?
Why Akroan Hoplite over something like Foundry Street Denizen or Bloodsoaked Champion? Why are the plus sides of that card?
How did the mana base work out? Did you have trouble with balancing pain lands/tap lands?

The mana base was actually not that hard to put together. I wanted 15 or so of each color, and put the temples on my more used colors to avoid taking more than I have to. My life total doesn't really matter in most matchups until it's near 0, jeskai aggro is the only exception. Basically my deck's gameplan is to lay down threats turns 1-3, then spend the rest of the game using spells to kill their threats, triggering the prowess creatures for additional damage and combat tricks, along with the lifegain that allows me to play a greedy mana base.

Now for why I'm playing Magma Jet over Lightning Strike mainboard. Using the prowess creatures, magma jet kills most of the relevant creatures in the format for me. Swiftspear blocked by courser into magma jet is fine, and the scry is pretty important to have because you do run more lands than most aggro/tempo type decks since you have to hit 3 colors by turn 4, preferably turn 3 (with this build I hit all 3 untapped colors on turn 3 almost every game). The only card that I would rather have in the strike against over the jets is against jeskai aggro, because dealing with mantis rider isn't always easy when you need to hold onto your stokes for either stormbreaths or ending the game, or crackling doom for stormbreaths or sharkhan. Usually how I kill mantis rider is with something like Akroan Hoplite Mardu Ascendancy, if they block the token I can jet to finish it or if they block the hoplite I could opt to sac my ascendancy to keep the creature on the board, depending on what I need. Magma Jet actually comes out in a lot of matchups (so would lightning strike), but I don't want to risk just getting wrecked by mono red (due to using 2-5 life per game in pain, before gaining it back somewhere) because I have lovely early spot removal and magma jet does that better than lightning strike because of the reasons above and red not having anything with more than 2 toughness. I don't need a bigger hedge against the heroic decks, I run 4 mainboard crackling doom along with tons of lifegain and they can't interact with me just flooding the board with creatures off of mardu ascendancy.

At one point I had both Bloodsoaked Champion and Foundry Street Denizens as a 4 of in the deck, and while sometimes those cards would overperform, neither of which hold up to a hordeling outburst worth a poo poo. Sure you can value grind out an outburst with 3 combat steps and 1B each one of those, but this doesn't help you end the game quickly and this is only if nothing else sees play that entire time. Foundry Street feels terrible to topdeck at any point really, and the fact that you could just lose a 10/1 to a goddamned elvish mystic is just goddamned insulting. There's also the part where you pretty much need a rabblemaster or mardu ascendancy to make the card worth anything, and with recent shifts of the deck, I've been using the ascendancy as an on-board combat trick that also does a hordeling outburst or two. I found myself sideboarding it out for more removal every game, and slowly removed all 4 from the deck While Bloodsoaked Champion has its' use in becoming lifelink fodder to the butcher, making the champion playable on turn 1 consistently is straining on your mana base when you're already heavily invested in red and white, and the value of doing so is minimal considering it can't get through anything abzan plays, or really any deck. So that just leaves you with the lifelink "trick" which is pretty bad. It didn't take long for me to cut these for really anything else. Akroan Hoplite was my 57-60 card slots originally going into this deck, but this card remarkably overperforms. You can stack the triggers of the ascendancy and hoplite to count the tokens from ascendancy, and this same trick works with goblin rabblemaster and ascendancy. The real difference between hoplite and denizen is three things, cost, the +1 toughness, and the fact creatures don't need to hit play this turn in order to trigger the +x/+0. Being able to sac a mardu ascendancy to keep your hoplite being blocked by a siege rhino is a pretty huge swing of tempo in your favor.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Spectral Werewolf posted:

I think crimped cards are considered unremarkable for the most part, it's not really a miscut/misprint because it occurs during packing. Someone would need to confirm that for me though.

nope some collectors go wild for crimps, there are facebook groups that cater to this type of thing even

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

When is spoiler season? Im getting antsy over here

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Its too bad ive yet to see somebody loot into a stoke before untapping trigger goes off, then use the stoke in response to the untap trigger.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

So basically just like every grinder at everyone's local game store.

Need an elaboration on this one if you would please

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

So essentially the argument is that because the players are good, they win all the time? If it's not them winning all the time it'll be someone else so I don't really meet eye to eye on that complaint.

Also I have a hard time believing that same someone really wants to crush some soft fnm with an extremely serious attitude, since you're not going to learn the matchup right if your opponent is gonna make as many misplays as they have turns.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Chamale posted:

Being the best player at an FNM is like being the best athlete on your beer league softball team. You're way better than most people who play the game for fun, but there's also a huge gap between you and the people who can play the game for a living.

Nobody can strictly play magic for a living, even the best of the best have at least a part time job to supplement. Looking at slinging magic cards as a prospect to make a living from is a wildly stupid idea even if you are insanely good. If youre gonna make a living through magic, it will be on the scg team where you will make a solid chunk of your cash through articles and sponsorship.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

Haven't you been reading the thread you're obvs just a tryhard grinder nerrrrrddd

Yeah i bet he takes fnm too seriously and wins a lot, and therefore insufferable

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

We just need to unban Stoneforge and Jace but ban Squadron Hawk.

Has anybody tried jamming squadron hawk into an ascendancy deck for extra cantrip filter? I bet its terrible but maybe it could even work as a lovely wincon if you cant totally combo off

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

qbert posted:

Don't worry, I only build decks to play land, spell, Pact of Negation my own spell, because I'm not a loving grinder tryhard piece of poo poo. Killing yourself is the ultimate casual.

This but unironically by piloting amulet combo

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Chamale posted:

That's over $100, I don't think it's the best way to get started.

Counter argument: if you sell the tutor it's really only like 30-40 for 8 decks and a lot of cross format playablea.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I've never seen Flusterstorm cast entirely for value on another storm spell on MODO because MODO forces you to manually target each copy and it always gets hosed up.

Well you see thats because the card just sucks unless you get super lucky and rip a timetwister or memoey jar or wheel of fortune, or mind twist workw too but not to a great extent. But basically at thatcpoint youre just playing a billion cantrips that chain together to dig for your value cards, and if you go through the jar and flutterstorm congrats they have aj empty board with random 7 cards or whatever amount they had before the jar which always forces a concede even if you have no win,con

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Would you like a random FRF spoiler? Okay.

Holy christ thats a good card

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

first holiday cube since they took out storm

people forgot how to draft against storm or something?

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

LSV got a 45th pick LED last night, so yes; I think people forgot about Storm. He also got some other ridiculous 45th pick that shows how people forget how good fast mana is. I think it was Tolarian Academy.

I got a gaea's cradle at pick 43? idk what this game is anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

I don't like manifest as a mechanic, if simply because it'll make cheating a lot easier unless everybody was forced to use the morph tokens from now on, which they should

• Locked thread