Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Safari + Vinegar can do that (just tested it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

IIRC you will also have to enable incoming RDC connections on the Windows machine

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I get different weather forecasts on my phone and my watch 🤷🏻‍♂️

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Parcel is one of the very few subscription apps I’ll happily pay for because it Just Works and it’s an extremely reasonable price.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

smackfu posted:

Anyone have a good iPhone app to maintain a list of dated entries? Like if I want to keep track of my car maintenance in one place, but doesn’t need to be car specific. Notes app kind of supports this but not really date focused.
I just make a separate calendar for maintenance stuff and add things to that. Then you can e.g add an entry for next year’s service with a two-week reminder to actually call and book the thing.

E: if you do want a dates-based thing with more capability I remember Agenda being good, though it’s been years since I’ve used it.

TACD fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 21, 2023

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Yeah other than MFP the only app I could find with support for non-US barcodes (the UK for me) was Lifesum

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

mawarannahr posted:

What subscription apps do you use?
I hate subscription apps with a passion so the only non-service app I subscribe to is Parcel, since £3/yr is extremely reasonable even by my standards.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Wow, I got hit with the new Spotify interface. It starts blaring random music as soon as you touch the home screen. I’m a little stunned and speechless at how aggressively terrible this is, what the gently caress

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Grumbles posted:

It's wild that Apple of all companies are so bad at this. I wonder if Spotify has patents on all the useful bits of their app that are impossible to copy.
It doesn’t especially surprise me that Apple can’t do it because Apple has always been loving useless at anything cloud-related, but it is weird that nobody else has done it either.

I've been experimenting with Deezer, Tidal, and Qobuz as potential replacements and both Deezer and Qobuz are basically non-starters for me; the Deezer application is weirdly slow and buggy and doesn't do gapless track transitions, and Qobuz doesn't have any generative playlists (like Spotify's "artist radio"). Tidal has some gimmicky stuff like "mastered" MQA tracks (which need dedicated hardware and people seem to hate anyway) and 360 Reality Audio (which only seems to be on about a couple dozen tracks) but that can all be avoided by just not paying for the expensive tier.

(I'm not considering Apple Music because I used my trial before and found you couldn't save generative playlists or see upcoming tracks on them.)

None of these can do even basic poo poo like control the desktop app from your phone, never mind stuff like Spotify's shared sessions and whatnot. The Deezer iOS app can at least recognise what track I'm playing on the desktop but pops up an admonishing warning against account sharing if you try to control it, lol.

It's a bit startling that all the competition seems to be so far behind Spotify in a lot of basic usability but maybe that's why they're feeling complacent enough to try to pull this kind of lunatic poo poo, IDK.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

priznat posted:

Itunes match was a great product.

Wasn’t apple doing a replacement for itunes just called “music” or something? I remember hearing it was coming soon to windows. I just use the web app when I’m on a pc listening anyway though..
iTunes Match is still around! I still use it to sync my library between desktop and laptop.

They keep promising that Windows will get the iTunes → Music upgrade someday, but TBH the app is still bloated and awful on macOS so don't hold your breath.

Did Apple Music ever add the option to let you specify tracks / albums to remain permanently downloaded on your phone? That was another dealbreaker for me, made it impossible to listen to music while travelling (e.g. on a plane or a train in the countryside).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Alright, I'm giving Apple Music another go since everyone seems to rate it so highly. Couple of questions:

The Grumbles posted:

At least on the 'artist/song radio' type generative playlists, you can see the next couple of songs in the queue.
How do I access this?

Also, how do I see which artists I've marked as a favourite? This support article says it should be in Listen Now, but I've been scrolling up and down and closing/restarting Music for a few minutes and I just don't have that section? Is it somewhere else now?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

priznat posted:

If you tap on the "up next" button (on web player but looks like this):

It will either show the playlist or in a generative one the next track.
Oh, thanks. Weird that on iOS it'll deign to show you one upcoming track but on macOS there's just no playlist at all.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Corb3t posted:

This meme really speaks to me. Only thing it's really missing is true Markdown support + Exporting, which can be solved with ProNotes and Exporter for macOS.

haha goddamn this hits

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

priznat posted:

What’s the catch with Obsidian, no IAP, free..
it’s an ugly motherfucker

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Yeah I’ve tried and tried to do even the most minimal weekly check-in / GTD task management for Things and I simply cannot set aside enough time every day/week to sort all my tasks into useful categories, and I never ever remember to check it when I’m in a new context or whatever.

About time I gave it up and just reverted to lots of Reminders lists, where I can at least use location-based notifications to get my stupid brain to remember things.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Am I right in thinking the Health app doesn’t have the ability to record migraines? I haven’t been able to find a field for it, seems like an odd omission 😕

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

You can record a “headache” does that work?
Yeah I guess that’s the best option, thanks. Now that I’m poking around a bit more I guess all the qualitative “Symptoms” just get a very generic record, would be nice to at least be able to attach a plain text note to each one.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OldSenileGuy posted:

With Apple Music, is there a way to transfer a "listening session" from my laptop to my phone?
I believe Spotify has a patent on this which is why no other streaming service offers it :mad:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

What’s the benefit of using the Amazon app? It’s just a website??

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

No, he wants the process of setting up the alarm to take five minutes.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

rufius posted:

The number of times YouTube recommends a video I have absolutely watched from start to finish, logged in, is just absolutely baffling.

They seem to have no clue what the hell it is I watch. I truly do not understand it.
Could be the huge number of kids watching a favourite video on loop for hours tips the algorithm into recommending this for everyone, or it could be that algorithmic recommendations are just dumb as poo poo and basic QoL stuff like this isn’t profit-maximising enough to look at. It’s probably a bit of both.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

If all your options are kinda hacky why would you pick the one where you give money to Google :confused:

Vinegar + Safari all the way IMO

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I started moving my 2FA over to iOS’ built-in thingy but it’s such a hassle to access them for non-Apple devices or when it doesn’t autofill that I started moving everything back to Raivo. Whoever wrote that blog post saying that Apple needs a dedicated password / Keychain app on iOS is dead right, it’s extremely half-baked right now.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Unthinkable to not periodically kill every app in the app switcher even though I know they’re not actually running or using battery and yes I know it actually uses more battery and takes longer to cold-start them shut up my brain doesn’t care 😣

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

~Coxy posted:

My kids' "technology" teacher makes them clear out all running apps at the close of class.
While I was working at the Apple Store there were plenty of Apple staff getting people to quit everything from the app launcher as a general iPhone maintenance recommendation

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I’ve just noticed the 🙂‍↕️ and 🙂‍↔️ emoji are visibly smaller than all the other yellow face emoji and I’m not happy

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Yeah I absolutely hate subscriptions as a trend but Parcel is £3 per year which is the only reasonably-priced subscription I’ve ever seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah I was bummed when Deliveries went to poo poo but with the exception of no web interface to link your account to check on my laptop Parcel does the job well.
It has a Mac app as well

It looks like it’s now £4.50 a year now, I guess I’m grandfathered in at the old price