Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Not gonna lie, it's amazing how absolutely little I care about Try Fighters and Celestial Sphere. Literally every single one of their opponents would be more interesting to follow.

There's absolutely no way this isn't going to get a second series that's focused around the World Tournament, is there? Especially with Lucas' ~prediction~ about the "open tournament" and Yuuki explicitly saying "yeah he means he's expecting to see you at Worlds." They seem to have introduced a bunch of opponents that are foreshadowed as important and interesting and then unceremoniously lose offscreen or to random bullshit, and meanwhile, Shimon and Gyanko haven't shown up for more than ten seconds in the last 3-4 episodes.

If Lucas, Suga and Team White Wolf show up again in a second series and Gyanko, Shimon and co. get to actually do stuff, it would make me like the show as a whole a lot more, even if it feels like the first half of Try (when Sekai barely knew what he was doing) was a lot stronger than this entire National Tournament arc.

e; holy poo poo, I just noticed Hoshino's blushing when Minato wall-slams Yuuma, and it totally looks like they're about to kiss for a second, even if that probably wasn't intentional. :allears:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Some guys on /m/ have been saying that Bandai's Twitter or something has already confirmed a third season of Build Fighters in the works, but well you know, /m/ isn't the most reliable of sources.

Yeah, so I heard, but I was assuming we'd get another timeskip and a new set of protagonists rather than it picking up literally two months after the end of Try with the same protagonists. I'm still holding out for an over-35 championship arc that has Ramba Ral and his Zeon cosplayer buddies fight out historical battles from the One Year War, but that's never going to happen. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 11, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Sakai vs. Yuuma really feels like the only rivalry that actually makes sense. It's introduced early on, has a satisfying arc (even if it's mostly Sakai's arc) and has a logical pay-off.

It's a real shame they didn't do the same for Sekai vs. Junya. The whole thing would have been much better if Junya had been established as an antagonist early on and that fight had been the culmination of their rivalry. Also, on rewatch, the whole scene where Junya tries to steal the Build Burning parts/provoke Sekai into getting disqualified by fighting is a terrible wasted opportunity. Instead of having Mirai show up and beat the ever-loving poo poo out of the thugs (since she also knows Jigen Haoh), they decide to have four people repeat the "don't fight" bit until Junya decides to step out of the bushes.

Meanwhile, the Sekai vs. Wilfrid and Fumina vs. Shia rivalries feel like they have zero narrative weight and I have zero reasons to care about them. :shrug:

ImpAtom posted:

"I want to have an honorable duel with my rival" is fine but it should have come down to their building philosophies clashing in battle.

To do that Yuuma would actually have to have a building philosophy, though!

Yuuma's whole "I'm a builder" thing doesn't ever really come across in anything. He's not a guy who can't pilot but comes up with genius ideas for Plavsky particle use like Sei did (or a guy who can pilot and does that anyway like Nils). He doesn't have a special signature build technique or a hard-on for a particular type of mobile suit, he doesn't design anyone's MS except his own (and his is just a lazy "take a Gundam and put more beam weapons on it" design anyway), and they don't even make a big deal out of how he's designed the Lightning (unlike Sei talking about how and why he's made changes to his in Build Fighters).

He doesn't even have any moments where having a builder's mentality causes him issues. The closest the show comes is early on when we're told it's weird for him to accept taking a hit to inflict one, and that's the opposite of his mentality causing him issues.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I keep legitimately forgetting Mirai is a character. She's the 'image character' for the event but does less that Kirara ever did despite being theoretically a bigger character.

Yeah. Really, it seems like everything outside of Sakai's arc is just sort of... half-assed.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm rewatching the first few episodes again, and can we please just get the Fumina from episode 1 back? The one who gives no fucks and strong-arms Sekai into joining her club and then ties him to a chair just so she can go to the tournament because she wants to beat everyone. She was cool. :(

e; also, can we retcon the Build Burning and Star Winning and just have the protagonist use a GM and her boy-toy use a Dom? Thanks.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 18, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I like how they're still trying to make out that Fuuma and the other girl are rivals despite having spoken like, once. Maybe.

Yeah. They've spoken to each other all of what, once? Maybe twice? And never for more than two sentences. It makes zero sense.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

muike posted:

apparently it means taking a buffing cloth to everything

That's sandpaper, I'm pretty sure. They're smoothing the surfaces down/sanding a bit off to make the joints looser, I guess.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Track 5 has flamenco!

Well, no prize for guessing how they'll manage to use that track.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The end of the Shia vs. Fumina fight just cemented my belief that their entire rivalry makes zero sense as it is and would have worked prefectly fine if Shia had befriended Fumina instead of randomly going off after Sekai. It's weird that they never had them interact for more than a second.

And yeah, the 2v2 was the best part of the episode.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

The best part of the episode was, "It sounds sad. But this is war." Which, all in all, is indicative of what Try is lacking as a show.

Adou and Yuuma actually putting some passion into their fight rather than the show's usual "I want to win because winning is nice I guess? Also we need to win because we're the designated protagonists maybe?" was another good example of stuff the show's been missing so far.

It's weird how Fumina went from being the best character in the first few episodes to being totally sidelined to the point where her "rivalry" is barely an afterthought, and Yuuma somehow ended up with two good rivalries (although the total lack of aftermath to his fight with Adou is weird, almost as if they forgot he's supposed to have a grudge with him).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 25, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

You could have done a lot for her just by giving every scene Sekai has with Shia to her and Fumina so they can actually interact with one another.

Yeah, literally this. It would have made their rivalry work (they just want to fight each other because they're friends and fighting is cool!). The newtype moment literally suggests that this is supposed to be the nature of their relationship, so it's even more baffling.

e; as an aside, for all the baffling script issues, the show does have a fantastic soundtrack.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 26, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kanos posted:

This actually makes total sense.

No, that much makes total sense, I'm with you. I'm saying them not shaking hands or even acknowledging each other's existence after the fight is weird, specifically because Yuuma uses to have a grudge but got over it. It could be something they're saving for next episode, but I somehow doubt it since it's set several weeks later.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

In the first three minutes we see a better fight, with a pretty low animation budget, than we've seen in almost of the entire run of BFT.

I am three minutes in and this was basically my thoughts. Kampfer Amazing vs. Zaku Amazing feels like a bigger treat than almost any of the big setpiece fights from the show except for the Tryon 3 and Shia/Adou vs. Yuuma/Fumina.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

LeadSled posted:

You all have neglected the best part of the episode, though.

Dom R35 :swoon:

Agreed.

I love how he was able to go toe to toe with Tatsuya and I want a series that's entirely about him establishing his ridiculous reputation.

I have to say: despite how boring Sekai is and how contrived most of the tournament wins were, I still think BFT is a better show than G-Reco. It's been a pretty middling season for Gundam, really, but I'm looking forward to the next Build Fighters series.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 1, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

The one on the left is Akira's custom Leopardon

I'm disappointed you edited this because I just wanted this:

to show up. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 1, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Does anyone have the tracklist (preferably not in Japanese) for both OSTs, and has anyone made a list of which track shows up where in which episode?

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 2, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

I can make one really fast I guess. Dunno if all the names are right.

Thanks! That at least helps situate a bunch of them.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

I love having no cover and also now the movement ruleset is entirely different.

Yeehaw.

Sorry, but it sounds like your soul is weighed down by gravity. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

Not enough rockets.

This is a serious problem with MSG designs in general. :(

• Locked thread