Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It was mentioned last thread that the directors are aware of the hugely positive reception to the stand out best episodes from last season, so let's all hope that they get why those episodes were popular. The Lightning Gundam looks like a sniper, so dare I hope for a Bloodhounds 2?

And please don't get sidelined, Fumina and Sazaki's sister.

Edit: A funny thought also just occurred to me. Everyone ended up pretty happily paired off at the end of season 1, except Mr. Ral. Maybe the love comedy joke mentioned in the latest trailer will be real and about him :allears:.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

This is what I've been waiting for. I was hoping Fumina would have a more impressive showing, but I'll grant that the first episode is more about introducing Sekai and the build burning gundam, and she probably doesn't have anyone to practice with anyway. Also we know that the powered GM cardigan isn't going to be her final gunpla anyway.

And Mr. Ral just showing up out of nowhere like he wanders around schools looking for promising young fighters. Never change, Mr. Ral.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 8, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zedd posted:

He got beat by Sazaki and swore off fighting forever :v: ?

I assume you mean Sazaki's sister here.

Edit: If they're going the "Everybody ends up with somebody else" route again, then she seems the most likely pairing for him given Fumina and Sekai already seems to be the pairing there.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 8, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It was a battle royale but they say in the episode her team never got past the first round and that she needs three people to even compete, but she is the only member.

I had figured it as some publicly open event.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I hope Yuuma turns out to be just a huge loving goony goon.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

Goddamn it, I really regret mentioning that I thought Fumina was a cool character because all anyone wants to do in the Gundam threads is have heated arguments on how misogynistic Gundam is.

Also we're only one episode in, for gently caress's sakes.

It's cool, I think Fumina is rad too, and it's fine with me if her story arc is that she starts out not particularly great at any one aspect of gunpla but grows from there. After all, passion and love for gunpla is what matters most in gunpla battles (so buy all our merch, kids)!

I wonder if it might end up being that one of her weaknesses is being too straightforward. The GM cardigan didn't look like it had any particular tricks, and would have to rely on being in good condition, build quality, and Fumina herself, when every other gunpla has some trump card. Eventually switching to the transforming (if I remember right) SD winning gundam could maybe be her edge.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

OneDeadman posted:

This is going to be super dumb, but the Season 2 Talking Arena isn't quite as good as Season 1's. :colbert:

It's literally my only complaint as far as Season 2 goes so far.

You know, thinking about it, you'd think Caro would've forced her way into being the voice for all the fields, what with being (by association) responsible for bringing back Plavsky particles.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

^^^^ Winning Gundam is supposedly based around speed, so maybe she could potentially play a role like being in both teammates' fights at once.

ninjewtsu posted:

Huh. I could have sworn the Tauruses got to be badass too.

Personally, I'd love to see a dude wreck shop with a Leo during a space battle. Do what Zechs did in the first episode of Wing by fighting (and arguably winning against) an MC while in free fall in a god drat Leo

You might be thinking of the mobile dolls, which wrecked the gently caress out of normal human pilots in equivalent suits (or maybe they were in leos). I think that was actually the first introduction of the tauruses, if I remember right.

Caros posted:

Guy, you straight up defended a female character in the G-Reco thread who had the following accomplishments:

-Losing a fight, in a Gundam, against trainees in grunts. Admittedly her machine seems to have hosed up at the end/during the fight.
-Crying about losing said fight
-Being rescued by the main lead
-Failing to jump onto a gundam

And now here you are declaring that the empowered, interesting female lead of a series is going to be worthless in combat based on her losing one fight against an opponent with a psychological advantage who may or may not actually be all that good of a fighter.

Do you just like to complain and be contrary?

Even poo poo like the line I bolded above show how absolutely disingenuous or simply wrong you are being about this whole thing:

- Alia's new machine was introduced at 4:33. It wasn't wrecked until the midpoint of the episode so unless you mean "It only got a minute of screentime" you're just flat out wrong.
- If you are complaining about it not getting a lot of combat time, then maybe you should go back and actually watch the episode. Felini in his brand new Wing Gundam gets about 10-12 seconds of focus time in the entire thing, which is roughly the same amount Aila gets in combat and quite a bit less if you count the time spent inside before getting exploded, though more than China.
- Alia and China take the bullet for Sei and Reiji, making them actually far more useful than most of the rest of the supporting cast.
- Yes, everyone being worried about protecting their damaged gunpla was stupid.

Drop it.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 9, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bloody Pom posted:

It's sort of telling when the prototype of the Leo had a tendency to turn its test pilots' organs into meat slurry through excessive G-forces. :v:

Those test pilots just weren't grunting and pulsing their muscles or whatever it is you do to deal with G forces hard enough. Though I think it says something for OZ pilots that when not in space they'll pilot in practically dress uniforms :black101:.

Also Leos don't have basically 4 Saturn V rockets strapped to their backs and cutely called "verniers". God I love the Tallgeese.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I hope we get a custom Tallgeese this season. I mean we had one last season but it didn't last long. :smith:

I know, it got chumped so badly due to glorious nippon bullshit :smith:. Though I guess I can't hate too much, since I do like Nils for being a black character in an anime who is not some awful caricature.

John Carstairs posted:

:raise: Apparently not. I don't even remember the drat thing.

How could you forget the most :911: (in spirit) gunpla, which was piloted by Batou to boot? You are a monster.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 9, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kanos posted:

Nils was an awful caricature of a weeaboo nerd and it ruled.

Oh definitely, and that was the best part about him (after Caro). (I meant an awful caricature of black people, but I assume you and everyone else actually knew that).

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Man, Nils reinvented Plavsky Particles, there is like a 100% chance of him showing up 7 years old at some point. :allears:

I hope he has somehow become even more samurai in that time. Just walking around with a topknot and katana and a labcoat and treating it like it is 100% normal.

I think the cameo I'm most looking forward to is Fellini and Kirara because Fellini was easily my favorite character from the first season and Kirara was up there too (and used a gerbera tetra for bonus points). Assuming that relationship held, they could even reasonably have a kid in 7 years, and Fellini would totally be the doting-est dad.

Is it weird to care about the characters' relationships in a show about toy robots punching (buy them, kids!) almost as much as said toy robots punching?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I suspect the answer to your question is don't ask questions.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

A little late but that thing was barely custom. It was a Tallgeese II with III's shoulders and I's legs.

Put some effort into Tallgeese it's only THE BEST UNIT.

On the other hand, why try to mess with perfection?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tallgexia.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm still waiting for there to be a character who says something along the lines of "1v1 space field, no modifications, RX-78s only". Because you know that's exactly what would happen if this were a real thing.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm still waiting on Patrick Mannequin to actually appear.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I like that Mirai is pretty much all "Hell yeah, go for it" about the whole gunpla thing rather than being the normal person who doesn't know what it is. Also I'm getting some Ali Al-Saachez vibes from the guy who owned Yuuma, and that is a good thing.

Overall the episode was a bit weak (from the animation side as well), but it's still an establishing one so I'll give it a pass. Plus next week is Sazaki's sister and the first real battle, looks like.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If Domon lady is not voiced by Geass' Karen I'm going to be a little disappointed.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 15, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

Oh lord, I just now noticed that Yuuma is the one who builds the Bearguy F for Mirai. That's just precious.

Hey it worked for Fellini.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I really hope Gyanko's establishing sequence is her owning a gyan piloted by her brother.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Goddammit, this show has made me want to do a kitbash of a loving Sengoku Astray, Crossbone Maoh, and Tallgeese. How the gently caress do I even start on something like that?

You build the Tallgeese and then throw out that other trash.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Maybe she saw Fa as a role model.

... That's not actually better, is it

But who the hell is her fashion role model? Girl needs to pick up a magazine some day because if the ED is any indication, she is not aware of anything not made of spandex. Maybe Mirai can help her out.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Mirai is already a lot better than Rinko.

"Sis, I don't get my new friend's friend."

"Well I guess you'll just have to beat the truth out of him."

You take that back. Rinko was rad and totally would have said the same thing.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Just to pre-empt this, can we all agree not to get bent out of shape when our heroes (including Fumina) inevitably get chumped in their first team battle because they have no idea how to work as a team? Because there's no way that's not going to happen since that's how these stories work.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pretty sure it's not gonna happen that way. Fumina and Yuuma have played together before, and Sekai's pretty good at following instructions rather than going off half-cocked with fighting spirit :supaburn:.

But on the other hand Yuuma seems very likely to crumble under pressure and communicate poorly, and Sekai might be generically skilled but lacks any real experience or knowledge of what others' gunpla might be able to do or what tricks the other team could pull. Fumina would be split between trying to cover both of them and fall apart that way. I'm not saying that's exactly how it would go down, but there's definitely ground for it.

Also I want Team Gyanko to win.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 21, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

dragon enthusiast posted:

I'm hoping they both get chumped and win the rematch in the same ep cause the first season of GBF never really wasted time on poo poo like that.

It didn't, but that also made it so that Sei and Reiji never really lost, which made it hard to build up any tension. They did a good enough job creating tension despite that, but that came more from the other characters who we knew could lose. Showing us that the heroes can actually have a real, full episode loss would be a good thing, even if we know ultimately they'll win in the series as a whole.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

Personally I've never been a big fan of the second Yuuki fight. There's the part when they first close in and have a little five second sequence where the strike's gun gets crushed to death that I really like, but the entire rest of the fight is really lackluster to me. I dunno what everyone else loves about it.

The first Yuuki fight is incredible though, if a tad short.

The second fight also had the point blank unload-revolver-into-eyes grapple and two of the best songs in the series. Plus the zaku amazing is just rad as all hell and Yuuki hams it up excellently.

The first fight clearly had a ton of animation budget go into it, though. Probably as much as an equivalent length of Bloodhounds.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Look at these guys who don't take gunpla so seriously that it feels like their lives are on the line :colbert:. Gyanko is great and had better make regular appearances and hopefully go far in the tournament, and Yuuma is an excellent shithead goon.

I'm looking forward to next episode's build fest already.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think the bigger thing to take from it is that more organic field changes than someone pushing a button to cause a sudden shift can now be a thing, since if it was suggested earlier in the episode that the forest stage was actually inside a colony, I sure missed it.

It also just establishes that Sekai is a nice and respectable guy. It also thankfully looks like Gyanko is not going to have a weird thing about her brother.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gyanko undergoes secret training in the Jigyan Haoh school and becomes the next meijin.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Stop, please. I don't want to be disappointed when the things you are all suggesting are not true.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Don't you show a box for the 00 Raiser and then move on, Build Fighters. Don't you do this to me. It's too cruel.

Also it appears Mirai might awaken to the true gunpla spirit soon, with her reaction to the very scaled up gunpla in front of G-Muse. And new Mao is great. This was a fun episode and as good as the other Day-Off episodes from the first series.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

According to /m/'s analysis the Destiny Gundam is detailed enough to see that whoever built the thing had next to no idea what the gently caress s/he was doing.

That just gets me more excited to see it in action.

A shoddily built Destiny being used by someone completely inept sounds incredible and I can't wait to see it. What details show that the guy is clueless, though? Apart from brooding on top of a playground structure, I mean.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pyroi posted:

That's his secret. He made it look like poo poo so that if there was an experienced builder on the other team--like say, the winner of a Gunpla building tournament--they would underestimate it and think it's a piece of garbage.

In reality, it is the Build Destiny Gundam Amazing, and will be able to go toe-to-toe with the Build Burning Gundam.

No, it's just a lovely looking Destiny snapped together over another gunpla, Build Burning style. Just when his first round opponent shoots it in the chest an thinks they've won, out pops another Destiny, but magnificently built.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

Sorry, GBF Try is a romantic comedy.

His girlfriend loves gunpla but is in the hospital for an eye operation to restore her sight. Destiny guy doesn't know anything about gunpla but is using the Destiny she put together while blind and in the hospital (hence it being poorly put together). The tears of blood are symbolic of her injury and the feelings and emotions carried in that gunpla more than compensate for its quality and his lack of experience.

drat, now I want to root for this guy whose story I have completely made up.

Edit: Also it was a tragic gunpla related accident that was his fault and he feels super guilty about it.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 30, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Azipod posted:

She should've gotten a Byarlant Custom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NkBhgJwFCI

This machine kills Zekes :black101:

Build Fighters has spoiled me, because those scenes look incredibly boring.

Can I never love again?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It could also be a firepower upgrade if she just does something like plate the barrel with metal or whatever it was Sei did to make the first Build Strike's rifle strong enough that people were surprised by it. Maybe that trick only works for beams or something, whereas the cardigan's weapons all looked ballistic.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'll agree this episode wasn't that great all told, and that Gyanko and Sakai aside, none of the other rival teams have any sort of charisma (though to be fair each of them has only had about a minute and a half of screen time). I did like that they showed Sekai's training actually being logical rather than him busting out some new super power just because, and it's good that we're finally getting some history on Fumina beyond "Always lost in the first round." Hopefully she'll start interacting with Lady soon. It also looks like people actually using SD gundams in actual competitions is rare, so hopefully they'll do stuff with that.

Now I'm just waiting for budget build Destiny guy to start single-handedly clowning people, and hopefully the show will start moving a bit faster and giving some more rivals a chance to be characters.

Also sorry Mirai, your brother belongs to Gyanko, not Fumina.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

And of course Sekai's gonna get a new kung-fu move every goddamn episode.

Hey it's better than ending every fight with the same punch. But yeah I'm with you that I really don't want every episode to be Sekai doing the closer. We might just have to live with that, though. The guy's alright, but he's already feeling pretty overused.

Something else I think is worth noting is that given that they're generally setting up individual rivals rather than team rivals, we can hopefully expect that there will still be solo battles outside of the tournaments, or that any given tournament match will focus more on a particular character (hopefully not Sekai).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I hope Lady ends up being a big goon like Fellini, because that would be absolutely hilarious and this show needs its own Fellini and nobody else really fits the bill yet.

• Locked thread