Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Pretty sure all the Spartacus ladies, no joke, all actually have abs. Probably because of Spartacus.

This show needs more Spartacus actors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I liked seasons 1 and 2 of Torchwood. Season 3 shat the bed in the end because RTD. Season 4 is umm giant cavernous vagina so it's pretty obvious where I'm going with this.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Pretty sure most moms would let Manu Benett bang them, just saying

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Wow you liked the lovely seasons and did not like the good one with 12th Doctor killing his family and Jack killing his son Season 1 also had Cyberwoman.

Can it be Tuesday yet?
I liked season 3 but I really hated how it ended, like just ugh. Maybe I need to watch it again and see.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Shakugan posted:

2. Brandon Routh's character is... completely hilarious and awesome?
Thought they were going for a male Felicity with some of his lines.

Also drat, super sad Sara got off'd like that. :smith:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

eNeMeE posted:

Also liked the death - she essentially said "I'm here to murder someone" and then got killed by arrows. Murderer gets put down by archer is kinda the show - but it's flipped around so the archer isn't the one we're supposed to root for and the target is someone we're supposed to like.
I hope so, because without the context of her being killed, it was kinda done just for shock value. I can see the validity of it, so hopefully the writers will do right by it. Sara was a certified assassin again so it stands to reason her target knew she was coming and stopped her or got someone to do it. I can only assume LoA wasn't behind it but it will draw out Nyssa and Ras to Starling City as a result, I guess.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Kinda super glad Felicity was the one who would kill ollicity.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Well, Laurel is still late to the party in getting awesome training. Sure, Thea's only had 5 months but under Malcolm, that's like what, more than a year or so at the boxing ring?

I mean she was doing flips and poo poo and fighting with swords.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Remember this is like a non-typical Arrow episode. I mean, most Arrow action sequences are in the dark/at night so they can usually hide stuff with it. I mean, the Thea/Malcolm fight was obviously stunt doubles and they didn't even really hide the faces that much during that and there was some funny editing when it cut back to the actors but it was alright for what they had.

VagueRant posted:

But the way an Acme Truck o' Henchmen show up to be fodder for the gang was really dumb, as was Ollie instantly knowing they were baddies and then attacking them before they even did anything to prove their baddiness. (And goddamn it, you're shooting a gun one handed - you DON'T know how to use one, Ollie!)
And Oliver was basically probably in survival mode for most of his 5 years missing, so I wouldn't be surprised he learned how to use a gun super well (I found it weird the first thing Waller told him to do was basically use a sniper rifle considering he's never had marksmanship training except I guess with a bow).

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Neon Knight posted:

I would chock this up to the fact that this seasons flashbacks are revealing Ollie has come to know a lot about how ARGUS operates overseas. I am guessing they are the type to roll in with snipers and a tactical squad (or stupid drone missiles from the Suicide Squad mission), and not just a local militia on a jeep.

Can someone go back and count how many times a Lance has been put in the hospital? I think they keep a room rented in Starling General.
Would I even be surprised if Ollie in the flashbacks becomes an ARGUS agent for a while?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

The Knife blade CGI with Diggle and Shaw, was loving killing me

wait, what?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Is it me or did they reuse the coffee shop from The Flash in this episode?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

VagueRant posted:

That Hong Kong assassination was way too clean and easy. Like it didn't need a choreographed fight and chase, but stabbing a guy should be a bit more brutal, no? Would've been way more effective for Ollie's moral drama over it too. The HK scenes feel SO rushed and low budget, the island flashbacks used to have some atmosphere.
It was a lot better as long as they don't try to use the Vancouver skyline too much to pretend it's HK. I think the street scenes were pretty good considering. And I thought the stabbing was quick and poo poo intentionally, possibly to tell us Oliver is now a killer and is actually much better than it than we're expecting (year 3 of 5, gotta pick up some time). Plus it was a schlubby old dude, I mean, really. Probably didn't even know someone was hunting him down.

I'm just saying at this point Oliver is probably not gonna go all PTSD in the middle of it icing someone.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Well to be fair Roy isn't there to put pieces together, he's there to break things.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

How's that gonna matter if he ends up being a completely lovely agent, as opposed to the hundreds of other potential agents who could and would do his exact job without being lovely at it?

The whole idea of forcing someone to train for a job that they don't want to do runs counter to all sense and rationale. This could apply to international assassinations or it could apply to carpentry; hands down, no exceptions, no ifs or buts, someone who wants to get better at any profession is going to do better, be more reliable, get more results than someone who is forced into it by duress.

The only reason Waller would be going to these absurd lengths is if she absolutely needed Oliver Queen, and only Oliver Queen, to be her agent for some good reason and, like I said, it's been eight episodes and the show hasn't given us a hint of a good reason as to why the head of ARGUS forced a famous white guy to do wetwork in Hong Kong. Heck, the more I think about it the more idiotic it is.
Probably the fact she was probably watching the poo poo go down on Lian Yu two years ago that she is somehow confident she can hone Oliver Queen into an ARGUS Agent after watching him survive all that. It isn't doing a great job of showing us that though, other than some of tonight. Should've had more of Oliver questioning why he was even working for Waller and demanding answers (if they did this, they certainly didn't do a good job of making me remember it). That being said it is quite a change of pace for the flashbacks to feel so disconnected from one another (they still do fairly well thematically), whereas all the Lian Yu ones in season 1 were played as a story and season 2 was essentially a parallel storyline altogether. I hope there wasn't any backlash that the S2 flashbacks were like "hey, year 2, here's slade wilson going crazy each time!"

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

TyrantWD posted:

It seems like everyone has forgotten about what kind of person Waller is. The bulk of the season one flashbacks was Oliver, under the guidance of Yao Fei and later Slade, taking out one of Waller's operations led by Fyers. Waller has been monitoring the island for a long time, and seeing what Oliver did as an amateur, it's a good bet that he could be weaponized and turned into the greatest super agent she has ever come across. Considering that Waller also has the Suicide Squad, she clearly knows that she has an eye for those with a talent for violence.

This is a woman who was prepared to shoot down a Chinese passenger plane to kill one person. Letting a few more non-Americans die while she develops her super weapon is an easily acceptable cost of business for her. Stopping the bombing, killing that guy in the market - accomplishing any of that is just a bonus on the path to forging her very own super agent.
You basically have a lovely playboy and a ASIS agent take down a plot to shoot a plan led by not only another ASIS agent but also a dude she backed with an entire mercenary army, followed by you basically murdering most of them including the guy in charge. Yeah, that's something to take note of.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

seaborgium posted:

I was trying to figure that out, was there a time skip in that bit? There must have been a couple hours where he just tried talking to him, as I doubt even a skilled torturer could have gotten anything in just a few minutes.
Yeah I'm gonna assume there was a time skip (really odd because the first scene was also at night, would've worked better if it were day), because otherwise it would be hilarious if Waller gave Oliver literally 5 minutes to interrogate him. He must've sat around contemplating poo poo before even getting started, I guess.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

https://twitter.com/amellywood/status/542857382892560384/photo/1

#dead

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Would be hilarious if the show was called ATOM for a while coming out of the holiday, and Oliver was relegated only to the last 5 minutes of each episode while Ray Palmer basically hires Team Arrow (Roy included).

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Slamhound posted:

I love how much he loves this show.
He's no Tom Welling, that's for sure.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

It's apparently possible that Supergirl, despite airing on CBS, will be able to crossover with Arrow and Flash. Awesome.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

If they do, I hope they let the Arrow/Flash people write it.
Berlanti and co. are actually doing Supergirl anyway so...

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

You'd have to work in the "Look! Up in the sky!" bit somewhere.

And I kinda want the crossover to happen if only so they ditch the idea of Superman already existing in the Supergirl show. It's a fresher idea if she's the first one.
(Well, OK, Smallville technically did it, but... y'know... Smallville)
Yes, as far as I can tell from the coverage of the show being a thing being talked about by Bertlanti and co., Supergirl is the Krypton survivor, there's no Kal-el/Clark Kent/Superman that is a thing before Supergirl. Not explicitly confirmed, but pretty much has to be the case because it shares the same universe (presumably) with Flash and Arrow.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I wonder how they'll work that, cast an actress to be the animated version and then the live action as well? I'm very curious and looking forward to any and all DC heroes they introduce.
It depends? Maybe if Amell/Gustin do the voices in the cartoon they'd work a little harder to find someone who's more than just a voice actor.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

omg chael crash posted:

I feel like Ollie isn't half as tough in the flash backs as he was in the first episode and we're nearly halfway through said flashbacks. Does that make sense?
This might be the year that Waller starts honing Oliver into something closer to 5-years-later Oliver, but they seem to be cutting it pretty close now.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Scyantific posted:

Momma Smoak gonna make a comeback

Also apparently people were speculating that Deadshot was Felicity's dad? What the gently caress Tumblr?
unf

And really, Deadshot? I mean, at least say Wells. Jeez, the nerve of some people.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Diggle drawing a second gun on Malcolm made me think of that scene in Django Unchained. "Two guns, motherfucker."

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Timett posted:

Making it a crime procedural pisses me off but I shouldn't be surprised. There are good shows that do "procedural but with a larger serial story" that I've really liked though so I won't discount it immediately even though I really want to since it's on CBS.
The Flash is practically a procedural. He's a CSI and his adopted dad is a detective. Metahuman shows up, makes a mess. During his day job, they go collect evidence as if it were a normal procedural, Barry goes to try to face the meta early, fails in some fashion, learns from it, collects more clues to help figure out how to win, defeats the metahuman, repeat.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

Considering ATOM is a separate entity from the Arrow crew and is on Arrow, that will almost certainly happen.
I can only imagine the Felicity reactions.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Carlosologist posted:

And to think I was slightly losing interest in both plotlines! I wonder where Oliver ends up with the Yamashiro kid
He probably does something stupid and gets him killed.

Would they actually kill a kid on primetime TV?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I didn't actually notice Shado in that last shot in the flashback because it was really quick but yeah, Celina Jade is in the credits at the very end. WTF is going on there!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

The precinct fight was hilarious because you have Lance shooting fools straight up, Nyssa is just slicing up henchmen left and right and all the lucky ones only receive a beatdown from Laurel/Oliver/Roy.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Jax-Guy1 posted:

This whole "Evil organization give the hero the chance to run it any way he sees fit" really reminds me of the last season of Angel. The good guys are given control of Wolfram and Hart, the evil law firm, but to just be manipulated into bringing about hell on Earth.
They actually did it with Nikita, but it might not be something the writing staff are allowed to do (and hence plan for) or they have something else in mind for the end of this season/next season.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I don't know, I think the last scene of this week's Flash might confirm how we get Caity Lotz in the spin off/mini series.
You would have to introduce it in ARROW before you do it. Despite the shows being connected I'm sure you have to account for people who don't watch the other and not knowing what happens on The Flash to understand this Barry motherfucker is gonna turn back time.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Deadpool posted:

Guggenheim said they weren't allowed to use Harley or Bronze Tiger anymore (that's why he was killed in the comics apparently) and we just saw them kill Lawton and effectively write the connection to the Suicide Squad out of the show. So I'd say it's pretty apparent. I don't know that they'll treat all the characters like that. Two other characters from that movie (Slade and Harkness) are the only two prisoners locked on an island in the middle of nowhere. Doesn't seem like coincidence. How far it goes will probably depend on just how integral the character is to the show. For instance I don't think they'll take Flash off the air when the Flash movie comes out.
Man I would've really wanted to see a full on Arrowverse Suicide Squad with Slade and Digger in it as well. Cupid was really fun too, she can be Arrow-Harley for all I care.

Not even a webisode, guys? :(

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

qbert posted:

So Oliver just randomly ran into Shadow's twin sister on the crowded streets of China?

That is some daytime soap opera bullshit. This season has really not been the best.
The flashback with twin sister May was kinda shaky and really felt like it only existed to reinforce "the truth is powerful" theme they were going for. Otherwise, yeah, there wasn't really much that happened in the flashback at all.

raditts posted:

This season in general is nowhere near as compelling as the first two.
I feel like S3 is being paced about the same as S1, except I remember S1 did not devote every single episode to flashbacks and used them when appropriate. They should've cut down the number of flashbacks this season since they rarely helped to really reinforce the plot/themes of the present plot line. S2 was just lucky that everything fit together to so well or they had a lot of flashback material to work with that it occasionally didn't matter even if it didn't. Year 3 in Hong Kong was not one of those.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Axel Serenity posted:

Only a couple more episodes until Barry Allen unleashes the time voodoo and erases all of Ollie's terrible decisions this season :yayclod:
I dunno, that would be dumber than all the missteps (however big or small or however many are counted by whomever) this season, because it would just make it all pointless.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

That was finally a good episode but I feel like this should've happened much sooner. Felt like they were trying to do the Mirakuru connection last season but they really don't bring it in until the last 3 episodes, so it feels wasted. Cause including this, it's probably what, only 3 episodes of LoA Oliver? Doesn't seem like enough. I know they killed him midway through but I feel like he shouldn't have fought the offer and thought he could turn it around only to be brainwashed (and I doubt even if he resisted/still was Oliver coming out the other end he'd have to wait a long time to reform the LoA).

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Kinda lame that they were alone and speaking English to each other.
Yeah not sure how the missed that considering the scene with Akio dying was pretty much in the same five minutes of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Who's the really old dude in the background of this?
One half of Firestorm.

• Locked thread