Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

Being a gunner is terrifying in He111. Gimbal limits and cramped views make it horrifying.
Fun times were had.

Could this signal the return of Broadsides?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Shanakin posted:

if you don't feel like laying out the ~$180 or whatever it's going for these days, there are some free options which work pretty well. If you happen to have a reasonable webcam (or better yet a PS3 Eye), you can get a pretty workable system going with something like opentrack which if memory serves me correctly is the current standard in free head tracking. If you can whip yourself up an IR beacon clip then you can probably get it to about 80-90ish percent of the way to Track IR. Probably for under $30. It is a lot fiddlier though.

This is what made me eventually get TrackIR. I had my FreeTrack setup and while it worked, it was fiddly as hell and hard to manage. I'd initially avoided getting TrackIR because of the cost but the ease of use makes it for me and I'm incredibly pleased with it. It just works, and the last thing I want to be doing when people are shooting planes is be messing around with the tracking system again.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 14, 2014

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Shanakin posted:

I can't really understate how much even rudimentary head tracking can improve situational awareness though.

Very true statement. It becomes second nature.

Also, after you've used a head tracker, try watching videos of people playing IL2/Euro Truck without winging your head around. I end up looking like I have Tourette's.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 14, 2014

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Sentinel posted:

Wow the playstation eye is ridiculously cheap. $10.
I've already got a standard webcam of sorts is there any way to program that for head tracking using the software? Or is it pretty much IR or nothing?

You can actually turn nearly any webcam into an IR cam (albeit a mediocre one). You'll need to disassemble it and remove the IR filter, then put a piece of exposed film (or floppy disk innards) over the lens.

You can test to see if your camera has an IR filter by pointing a (working) remote control at it and pressing buttons, if there is no filter you should see it brightly.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Ralith posted:

Don't most aircraft have a way to jettison external stores without actually firing them?

I know the button is bindable in 1946 and I am fairly certain it is in BoS. Bombs dropped like this also won't arm so they can be "safely" dropped without wrecking your business.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Ralith posted:

That reminds me: Next time we're screwing around, we should try mid-air bombing of another plane. In 1946 this made the bomb glue to the other plane until the fuse went off, which was hilarious.

Because goons are so good at formation flying.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Sauer posted:

Landing a plane on a plane would be an excellent test of the physics/net code.

BoS won't be a real IL-2 game until we can do TB-3 Parasite jousting

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Ralith posted:

Battle of Moscow pre-orders for the premium edition open at $80. Full set of aircraft: I-16 Type 24, Bf-109 E-7, MiG-3, Bf-109 F-2, IL-2 model 1941, Bf-110 E-2, Pe-2 Series 35, Ju-88 A-4, P-40 E-1, MC.202 Series VIII, the last two of which do not come with the standard edition. As before, the premium edition also lets you skip unlocks.

Notable new information:

They don't explicitly state that this works if you have non-steam BoS, but given that they're very clear about it being "one game client" with access to all content, I can't imagine it not working.

Looks like 777 is sticking to their word about releasing content in old IL2 style expansion packs rather than RoF style microtransactions :toot:

The general lack of fun content bothers me in this game, though. Our group never really latched on to BoS like we did 1946 because there was no way to make easy, interesting fun.

The premium unlock thing also bothers the hell out of me since its clear they're turning that into a shameless buyout mechanic, and I don't feel like paying $30 more for every expack just so I don't have to grind to get to the fun part.

Did anyone ever make an unlocker tool or is that not possible due to the server interaction?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Mr Darcy posted:

Finally got a trackir yesterday, only tried it out in War Thunder so far and it's already a massive improvement.

Any tricks or tips for using it that I should know about?

Get ready to never be able to watch someone play a flight sim without twerking your head around unconsciously like an rear end.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Fender posted:

I finally kicked my game up to expert this weekend and I have a few questions.

First, what's the deal with the headings given on the mission screen? The first time I did a full expert mission I didn't know there was still a map available, so I wrote down all the headings and flight times and such in order to navigate. The mission map screen showed 107 degrees for 7 minutes and then 110 degrees for another 6. I did that and went in exactly the opposite direction. After I gave up because I couldn't find the target I looked at the flight log and my path was almost a perfect mirror of what it should have been. It was neat that my flight times thing worked, but also bad in that for some reason I went backwards. So what's up with those headings on the mission screen? Why do I need to read them backwards? Not that it matters anymore because I have since figured out that not only is there still a map, but the HUD compass shows the next waypoint.

And is there some experty thing I should be doing with the engine/prop on the Stuka? The engine is always dead or taking damage by the time I get to the target. I can tell it's got some kinda strange throttle thing going on because it tells me the info about landing mode and climb mode. But all those seem to kick in at barely over 50%. Do you really leave the throttle that low in regular flight on the Stuka?

Second Stuka question, do I need to do something to the prop to make it not hurt my engine during a long dive? I couldn't tell what was happening, but my engine started complaining after a dive and full on quit not long after. What am I doing to kill the Stuka?

This sounds to me like the prop pitch is too high and you're over revving the engine. Are you ensuring that your RPMs are in the cruise powerband? When diving, you want the pitch to be more coarse to keep a lower RPM as you descend, then go more fine as you climb to get more power.

This video does a good job of describing the idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9TVQHf1_s0

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 20, 2015

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Shine posted:

Specifically, if you want to fly online with other people, against other people.

For PvE and especially coop there's basically nothing above the level of "tech demo." As was said, even DCS has more gameplay depth than BoS, and there's a reason why the modern sim goons are more into that old Falcon game than DCS.

Also, planes in this game don't seem to catch fire or explode apart from cannon shells as easily as in IL-2: 1946 or War Thunder Sim Battles. Dunno if that's more realistic or not, but it's less satisfying.

This is pretty much the reason I won't be getting BoM or pretty much anything in this series again until goons are Having Fun In Airplanes.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

MohawkSatan posted:

Except it's not even that great at being a sim, because there were a lot loving more than 32 planes in the air at a time around Stalingrad.

Right but by limiting plane count we can properly render period smoke stack emissions and church fences, which I need for ~my immersion~.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Only sixteen simultaneous readers though.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Jiblet posted:

Before I get a headache attempting the impossible... is it possible to install the Steam version of RoF and have it recognise all the planes I've bought in the 777 store? Or should I just stick to the non-Steam version and save myself a couple of hours and a russian-dev-induced migraine?

It's my understanding that the two stores are completely separate, and purchases won't cross under any circumstance due to Russian Devs "database issues".
It's best to stick to the store you bought things on.

Edit: Thankfully I'm wrong.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 5, 2015

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

pixelbaron posted:

Content of 4.13

:siren:· Added differential brakes:siren:

This is awesome. I just fixed my pedals, too, so I'm extra hyped.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 9, 2015

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

So, I just read "The Dauntless Dive Bomber of WW2" by Barrett Tillman, which got me itching to fly 1946 again. I realized while flying that I have an incredibly basic flying question: what exactly am I supposed to be doing with the rudder? I understand it's function to yaw the aircraft, and I also know it's used for ground maneuvering, but whenever I'm in the air I feel like a big dumb clod flopping my feet around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Is there fun single player stuff to do or is it mostly MP focused content?