Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I'm pretty sure it was just done because Kewpuh thinks it's funny. And he is correct.

Like nobody noticed when the dota threads were swapped.

I'm just sad he didn't change the title to "Welcome to MY Imp Zone!" when he did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Ometeotl posted:

I assume "nude mode off" is her wearing that gray jumpsuit that she was wearing in the El promotional gameplay.

It really should be denim cut-offs.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Twitch posted:

And I don't have to worry about anyone walking in on me playing Bayonetta because I live with my mother and play games with headphones on in a room with the windows blacked out :smug:

I'm sad this is too long to become the new thread title.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

oswald ownenstein posted:

Really hesitant to buy this - not because it's not a good game, but because I'm just so burnt out on 3rd person action games.

Same reason I am not picking up Shadows of Mordor - I put maybe 4 hours into AC4 before getting bored, and the last 3d action game I finished was Lords of Shadow 2 (and what a piece of crap that was).

Thoughts?

This game plays very, very differently than those games do. It's a linear brawler with an emphasis on combat depth and reflexes. It's more in the vein of an old-school brawler than an open world freeform action-adventure.

Edit: If you've ever played a God of War game, imagine that but faster and better.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Let's forget about the gross Polygon review of this game and read this awesome one from Killscreen instead.

This is everything the Polygon review isn't. It's a deep analysis of Bayonetta's character and portrayal that really highlights what makes her unique and important. Kudos to this guy.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Kamiya's twitter feed right now is basically a live-action version of one of his games.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Personally, I always thought Bayonetta felt a lot more like Viewtiful Joe than Devil May Cry, probably because of the slow-mo and emphasis on dodging.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Man, if ever there was an IP that needed to come back...it's not Bujingai, but they should make a new one anyway.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Pesky Splinter posted:

Nintendo's reproposal:

At Nintendo's insistance, they told Platinum that they could show cleavage on the Link costume :lol:

Eiji Aonuma's life is a Greek tragedy.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I like that the Muspelheims don't ramp up into absurdity immediately like the Alfheims did in the first game. I've actually been able to complete every one I've encountered so far, unlike Bayo1 which started dropping "WIN IN FIVE KICKS!" challenges just a couple stages in.

Also Enraptured is a terrible and wonderful idea for an enemy. I don't remember the first game having anything like them.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

The Moon Monster posted:

I swear some of the alfheims were nearly impossible unless you had gear you couldn't possibly have found the first time you encountered them. The win in x number of kicks and punches ones were pretty easy with Durga, but you started seeing them before you found it. The difficulty didn't really seem linear either, just sort of random. In 2 they start off really easy but steadily scale up. They're still not hard but I'm only 1/3 of the way through so I'm guessing they get there eventually.

Early Muspelheims feel like they're subtly teaching you the finer points of playing the game. The game never explains how the combo system works, exactly, but you pick it up by doing the "Defeat all enemies in one combo" challenge. It deliberately spaces enemies out to teach you the value of certain moves being able to keep a combo going at range. It's pretty great.

The first one to actually give me trouble was the "Keep a combo going" challenge against a bunch of those big shield centaurs. Is there a guard break move I don't know about? If the enemy got their shield up it felt like there wasn't always something I could do fast enough to maintain my combo.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Does anyone else think this game feels easier than the first one or is it all just muscle memory helping me hit the ground running? I don't think it's too easy, but it ramps up more slowly for sure. I just beat the stage after the first Masked Sage fight and I've only died once so far (when an enemy I didn't realize was being enraged by an Enraptured comboed off half of my health in one go) which I'm pretty sure is a lot better than I did my first time through the first game.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
The first time Loki told me to hurry up I immediately said aloud "Oh, I'm already tired of this!"

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Mr E posted:

On the other hand I thought Luka in this game was just utterly fantastic in most ways. Couldn't stand the Luka in W101 though.

I'm sad they kinda hit the reset button on their relationship and just made them foils for each other again. The two of them starting to like each other over the course of the first game was really cute, and they seem to have thrown a lot of that out, here.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Beef Waifu posted:

It's ZR+Select, but you can only use it after finishing the game.

And yet, there's always a Skip Cutscene option if you pause? :psyduck:

I guess they don't want you doing it by accident.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Austrian mook posted:

Help me out here guys, should I play the first game before the sequel? (I played it a little before)

Yes. The story of Bayo2 basically requires you to have played the first game to have any idea what's going on. That honestly might be part of the reason it's a pack-in.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So, basically, the stories make one resolved continual loop?

Yes, this is the main point. Basically there are two timelines. In the first timeline, Balder sees Aesir kill Rosa, then is pulled into the future by Evil Aesir to kill Good Aesir. Balder chases Good Aesir around a bunch, and because of this Bayonetta gets launched back in time to when Rosa was killed. This starts a second timeline where she sucks Balder into a time portal after he sees Rosa die. Back in the present, they kill Evil Aesir and Balder sucks in his soul to make sure he can't escape, dooming him to eventually go mad and become a supervillain. At this point he returns to his own time for some reason, eventually growing into the Father Balder of the first game.

Important to note is that the Balder you're with in the last chapter isn't the same one you've been fighting the whole game. Instead of Evil Aesir pulling him from the past, Bayonetta did. This does beg the question of where the Balder you'd been fighting went when the crazy time portal opened, since he apparently didn't go back 500 years with Bayonetta. Still, when Bayonetta pulled young Balder into the future, chances are the other Balder got Back-to-the-Future'd out of existence anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

It makes perfect sense! :pseudo:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Beef Waifu posted:

There is no stated reason, it just happens. Presumably, some of the demons got fed up with working for Bayonetta and just decided they would rather kill her than remain contracted to her. It's honestly just a plot device so Jeanne dies and the events of the game can happen, there's even only like two boss fights with your former demons and the rest are just the forces of hell being like "Yo Jubileus is down, let's gently caress poo poo up."

Yeah. Bayonetta is over 500 years old, and from the way she and Jeanne talk about it, it sounds like the balance of Heaven and Hell going out a whack is just something that happens from time to time.

Either that or it'll be explained in Bayonetta 3 the same way Balder is explained in Bayo2.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Oxxidation posted:

It's because Balder died and took the Right Eye with him. With the Eye of Light down, the galactic yin-yang goes all off-kilter and suddenly Inferno is feeling frisky because they're the best game in town.

And since you kill Inferno's ruler next, that's a great way of explaining the final approach to the mountain. The angels and demons aren't trying to keep you from the mountain, they're just out for revenge and have set their differences aside to kill Bayonetta.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Oxxidation posted:

Inferno's ruler is Queen Sheba, I think Alraune was just some broad on a power trip. The demons in general probably aren't pleased with anyone trying to escape their plane, though.

Oh huh. I got confused by the title of the chapter you fight her in, I guess.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I will never stop using quad-chainsaws. Never. This is now my main build.

EDIT:

Beef Waifu posted:

:siren:YOU CAN LIFT BOSSES WITH THE WHIP!:siren:

Hang on! Nevermind!

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 27, 2014

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Um, how do I use the Master Sword as the Hero of Hyrule? It's not showing up in my weapon wheel.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Speaking of nice touches, during the ending I cracked up when I realized a somber, dramatic piano version of Balder's boss fight theme is playing when he bids farewell to Bayonetta.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Oh my gently caress, they should have called Bayonetta 1 Hard Mode "Grace and Glory gently caress You Up" mode because Grace and Glory are loving me up oh my fingers

oh my poor poor fingers

Why are torture attacks so drat finnicky? What even triggers a torture attack, I thought it was based on my combo meter.

Having a full magic meter, same as Umbran Climax in Bayo2. (That's why you see them pop up at the same time.)

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Well, trying to fill my magic bar against Grace and Glory without being able to Witch Time (Prologue verse 2) can suck a DICK

I've never tried it myself, but I've heard of people cheesing them by running away, charging the katana, releasing it on them when they get close and repeating.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

AzureRequiem posted:

Ending spoiler qquestion

If Balder is sent back in time to before the events of Bayonetta, and Loptr is why he's evil, how does he have the Right Eye, since Loki erased them from existence?

I think he doesn't. He was sent back to a time when it existed.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Almost Smart posted:

A quick question about weapons: I just picked up Alarune, but the last weapon I got before that were those fire and ice gauntlets. I have pieces of like three different LPs. Have I missed something?

You've missed everything. When you find a piece of an LP, the other pieces are always in that same stage. You have some more hunting to do. (You don't have to recollect the ones you have when you go back in.)

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Suspicious Cook posted:

I think Bayo 2's normal is more forgiving than Bayo 1's

On my view, it starts easier and ends harder, but has a better difficulty curve overall.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Yeah okay, fine, gently caress me Bayonetta 1. Sure I try this Alfheim on hard they have all been utterly awful but okay let's do it. Okay enemies can only be killed in Witch Time that's cool

oh I see dodging does not initiate Witch Time does it

I see no that's fine, that's fine, gently caress ME, right, I'm the one I AM THE ONE WHO NEEDED TO BE hosed I UNDERSTAND

kamiya sensei you are an evil man

I gave up on Bayonetta 1's Alfheim's pretty early on and just played the game. I consider myself happier for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I'd never thought of the Bayonetta games as being 100% pitch-perfect about their portrayal of Bayonetta even before I knew about this, but the problems never overwrote the positive and fairly progressive majority of the content. One skeevy scene's not going to change my view of Bayonetta's characterization nor the game as a whole. Seems like a fairly basic misstep to me.

• Locked thread