Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Jeffrey posted:

Sil's combat can be fully explained (to a degree in which a programmer could write it themselves) in a few paragraphs, crawl's requires talking about a million variables and lognormal distributions. Crawl has been slowly cutting out the archaic bits of linley's crawl with a scalpel, the sil devs hacked off the bad parts of angband with a triple sword on day 1. (Okay I don't actually know sil dev history but that's what it seems like.)

sil was being worked on for 10 years before the first version was even released

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

cool

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Parallax Scroll posted:

thought this was just me

edit: minus the playing them as a noob part

the best thing to do is press ~ and set macros for your most used spells. if you have magic dart on "c" you can make the macro "zcf" and bind it to 1 or something. you basically create a hotkey for "cast magic dart at default (usually meaning nearest) target" this way.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Parallax Scroll posted:

i tried that but then i can't use numpad 1 to walk anymore.

edit: i bound 1 from the top row of the keyboard but it thinks numpad 1 is the same thing.

you can use any key you like, or combinations using ctrl/shift even. so, you can stick it on f1 instead, if its being weird about numrow.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Parallax Scroll posted:

cool, didn't know about targeting macros. or that you could use '.' to target. i always used 'f'

they have slightly different meanings. "." will mean the attack stops at the square you target. "f" lets it continue past, if its a bolt spell or if it misses. dont use "." to target stuff unless you have to.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Ion Helmet posted:

b - 899 gold the +11 whip of the Old World {venom, SInv}
i - 780 gold the +9 trident "Giant's Regret" {pierce, -Tele Str+2 SInv}
is either of these worth coming back for? I expect I will find something as good or better by the time I scrape up that much gold but what the hell do I know

that whip is really good

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

it helps to know how to pull monsters in crawl, and its more important in branches like lair, where a lot of dangerous things spawn in groups and the layouts are fairly open. if you see an enemy you want to fight, you can kite it a bit and fight in an area you know is safe. if you run towards an enemy in the open you will probably end up fighting multiple things at once. a single death yak on lair:8 is killable by most characters by that point, but a pack of them generally isn't. so if you can lure them off one by one, its always a good idea.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Parallax Scroll posted:

p sure you can poison hydras. anyway the point is to soften them up before you whack em.

i think for players the only thing that can do this is poison arrow and maybe some special artifacts (staff of olgreb?). unlikely to have that spell at that point in the game.

other ranged weapons are good against hydras though. they have awful defenses, including 0 ac, so even the weakest attacks will damage them a bit.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

conjurer might be easier for a new player, your spells have good range and its easy to spam magic dart if you pick a race with lots of mp. fire elementalists are good but one of their main spells is melee range. same with ice elementalist.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

0.15 is the newest stable version of crawl.

trunk is the development version, currently 0.16-a. you'll get features meant for the next version, but also weird stuff being tested sometimes, and more bugs. the bad ones always get fixed very quickly though.

play 0.15 if you want it to be stable (the only changes to this one will be bugfixes). play trunk if you want bleeding edge stuff.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Parallax Scroll posted:

am i correct that resting to heal isn't a very good strategy in abyss? more poo poo's gonna keep coming after you so you may as well at least look for an exit
pretty much

even outside the abyss, resting to heal isnt a great idea on any level you haven't completely explored, since it means more stuff will spawn or wander into you. a full rest is 100 turns, which is a lot.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

yeah dont use shatter on groups of mummies unless you can mitigate curse damage. necromutation, makhleb, tso, kiku tend to be good ways

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

i think flaming, freezing, holy and vorpal are the only ones that go entirely off base damage. the rest generally have some kind of on-hit effect which is better on fast weapons, or else have effects which arent really dependent on either base dmg or speed.

so, elec is one of those ones which is a lot better on fast weapons. it's not as good as it looks though, because it's useless against flying enemies.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Parallax Scroll posted:

how are you supposed to do a beogh game? someone said not to bring your orc dudes into elven halls. seems like bringing them into spider nest would be bad since they don't resist poison, and swamp and shoals might be bad if they're all stuck in the water? or do you just take em everywhere
nameless orcs are going to die anyway. your big orcs with names and stuff are going to be fine against most stuff, since they're really strong. spiders wont be a big deal since they suck against anything with high AC.

imo the main thing you need to be careful of is AOE attacks, especially cloud spells. a death drake in a corridor can wipe out your whole party, for example. elf also tends to be a problem just because everything casts spells, i would still take some orcs along though. its just smart to always keep a reserve army.

and swamp and shoals are annoying due to water, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

the hp difference matters a lot in crawl. there's plenty of stuff that can do 50+ points of damage in one hit. stuff that can one-shot you from full hp is a lot rarer than it is in tome, but stuff that can kill you in 2 or 3 hits is probably more common. low hp races need to play a lot more carefully, and you need to know which enemies have high damage spells like crystal spear.

• Locked thread