Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

quote:

Eve
Beat 2 levels in a row without picking up any hearts

Interesting

quote:

Samson
Beat 2 levels in a row without taking damage

Very interesting!

quote:

Azazel
Make 3 deals with the devil in one run

(and then the other ones for beating bosses with him)

Extremely interesting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Is the trophy the unlock method?

It is for Cain and Maggie, so I don't imagine it isn't

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

IMJack posted:

Maybe we'll get lucky and "no damage" means "no red heart damage" for the achievements. That's what I hope anyway.

Where's the fun in that?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Carecat posted:

Why did it offer me a 33% discount and no discount as soon as I took it to the checkout :(

Because you loaded the store page before the game was released and went to checkout after the game was released.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Azazel is :stare:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Azazel + Guppy + the non-guppy cat head that I forgot the name of just killed The Forsaken instantly, both forms :stare:

ActionZero posted:

Holy poo poo the Waka Waka challenge is a trip. Your tears don't move until there's a certain amount on the screen or you let go of the fire button. While they're not moving your tears are super strong magnets that pull in even enemies. You can slingshot an enemy across the room with careful placement.

I've got that item on its own.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I've had devil rooms that contain any combination of: black hearts, red chests, free items, normal items. Up to three of the above.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Slybo posted:

I stumbled onto an awesome seed M8KD KGAL

lv1 gives you 2 gold rooms, an extra boss, and enough gold to use the shop right away
Between lv1 & lv2 you will get 8 power ups and a Trinket.

Most of that's it just being a standard XL floor, I personally don't think any of those items are that special.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

TEMS
N4BP

Does Tammy's Head on Azazel normally kill Mom's Heart in a fraction of a second? It did this run!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Yep, no achievements/unlocks.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Donation limits appear randomised. I've had it stop accepting things after a very small number of coins, on the first floor.

Hell you either get into by killing Mom's Heart enough times, or getting a devil room after killing Mom's Heart. Or "We Need to go Deeper"/I Am Error I guess.

IMJack posted:

What shot type makes your tears shrink away into nothing in a very short distance? I saw it through the 3 Dollar Bill randomness and want to avoid it going forward.

Poptosis. Looks like an eye sitting in viscera.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Bee posted:

Anyone else tempted to just spell poo poo in the seed generator and see what comes out? I might try seeing what GOTO HELL or DICK BUTT generates.

Not allowed :smith:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

Hilarious.

Exploding aborted fetus angels into piles of intestines? Sure.
Naughty words? :siren:

Not allowed as in "not valid seeds"

(And if you type in I or whatever it automatically replaces it with 1, so that's not the reason)

No to gently caress TITS or HELL BABY

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Kaethela posted:

Now that I think about it, "BOOB TUBE" is valid, so special seeds must be exempt from that rule.

"BOOB TOOB".

Also FART SNDS remains great.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Kaethela posted:

Close enough, whatever. It still violates the no O rule though, so my point stands.

It gets input as B00B T00B. Like I said, characters that may be confused are automatically changed into their correct versions (I -> 1, O -> 0, U -> V).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

apophenium posted:

Unfortunately, nothing can fix picking up the Cursed Eye. I hope they change that item around cause I think it would be pretty good if it didn't fuckin' teleport you whenever you get hit.

I think it only teleports you when you're charging your tears

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

You beat all the waves, then it ends. There's ~10 waves I think? Ends with the horsemen.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

RatHat posted:

There are some special seeds that give special effects when you play them. http://platinumgod.co.uk/rebirth-seeds has some listed and will presumably update with more. BRWNSNKE looks pretty hard without an item that lets you destroy poop by walking over it.

Or Flight

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Clever Spambot posted:

Haha i got dark boy on my first attempt to use azazel.

Was there a no hit achievement for the womb in the original or is that new?

Mama's Boy existed, yeah

SuicideSnowman posted:

That was from the blog. Not sure how much is true or what else it entails.

Well the bit about no hearts from bosses is true

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I unlocked all characters except Maggie hours ago, Maggie remains locked :ohdear:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

That's just stats, you got (a bit, depending on your items) lucky. I presume the Goat Head will force the door to spawn too.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Note to self: don't pick up Guppy's Collar when unlocking The Lost with Azazel. It'll proc and gently caress you over.

Obvious in hindsight.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ruggan posted:

Quick tip for lost runs: restart until your first floor is XL. That guarantees you 4 treasures (2x treasure room + 2x boss room) and a likely devil room on your first floor.

So by Caves 1 you have... potentially less treasure than you could have if you didn't have Curse of the Labyrinth (as you lose out on a secret room and a shop)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Nurge posted:

Counterpoint: The room with two Adversaries.

That just killed my run where I had all the survival items you could want as ???, but my only item increasing the damage per second I did was the Coathanger which I got back all the way on Basement 1.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

omeg posted:

Let's talk about devil deal chances and how damage affects it.

1) Does soul heart damage count if a character doesn't have any red heart containers?
2) Is Blue Baby different?
3) Does damage from room hazards count (curse rooms, spikes etc)? I think yes.
4) Does damage from self-harm sources (blood banks, IV Bag, Razor? Blood Rights?) count? I think not.
5) Does killing the boss without taking damage increase the chance? I think yes. Is red/soul damage different here?

Correct for all of the above, as far as I can recall.

Your chance to find a devil room is decreased if you take red heart damage during the level. It is decreased further if you take red heart damage during the boss (if you only take red heart damage during the boss then it applies both, not just the boss one). If you lose red hearts through something that takes red hearts preferentially (blood banks, etc) then that's not a problem.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Or just hide behind some poop, he bounces off that.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Bear in mind that if Edmund had his way nobody would have even unlocked the Lost by now. The degree of frustration people are experiencing right now is nothing compared to what he had in mind.

Reddit was getting pretty close, we would have had it unlocked for nearly the same amount of time. People who make these kinds of things always underestimate how obsessive people on the internet are.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ChibiSoma posted:

It can't be coincidence.

Yes it can, for a lot of reasons

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Spiffo posted:

Oh yeah, I guess rarely it can contain a bunch of red hearts. But pretty much every time I ever go into the Super Secret room it's been a soul heart (either the blue or black variety).

Even if what you were saying had some statistical basis, "most of the time, this happens" is a long long way from "every time, this happens".

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Bad game design is bad game design no matter its intended purpose or the genre that the game is intended to be in or, well, anything else for that matter. End of conversation, stop making GBS threads up this thread about how H4RDKKKORE you are about roguelikes.

I don't agree with Lady Naga particularly but this isn't even slightly true. There are plenty of things that make me enjoy games that have been called bad design, but clearly they aren't because I, and others, enjoy them (eg. there have been lots of instances of people calling the slow paced combat in games like BG2 "bad design")

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I used a Heirophant card and I only got one soul heart :saddowns:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I always read it as "Jesus loves you, you can't see".

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

something posted:

People really overestimate the difficulty of the adversary just because of his homing brimstone. Once you figure out the trick it's almost trivial to dodge.

One is pretty easy, two of them in a reasonably large room is much more annoying as you can't stay close to both of them at the same time.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

Also after playing with the BASE MENT seed a lot with the Goat Head and/or Book of Belial, I'm pretty sure devil/angel rooms cannot spawn on the first floor either

They can't after the boss, you can get there with a red chest or joker card.

Harrow posted:

They don't, as far as I know. Sometimes they just haven't started "chasing" you yet. You can tell they're officially chasing you if they start to move slightly faster. Once they do that, they won't turn until they hit an obstacle.

I found the Knights in the first one liked to turn around if they were adjacent to something they couldn't get through, not just heading towards it. Maybe it was confirmation bias, but I remember Knights oscillating pretty quickly to charge me on each side.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

You can get into a devil/angel room after killing the Heart anyway, it's how you get to Satan/Isaac before the portals spawn normally.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Things that take red hearts first don't count. Things that don't do.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Scorps posted:

-edit- I just finished what should have unlocked it, dying to Satan (not his brimstone it was the spread bullet attack), and the little lost ghost came out of me but no unlock. Can you not use seeds anymore to do the Isaac/Maggie parts of the run? I don't really know why it wouldn't have worked I saw the lost ghost come out of whoever I died on all 4 times. Used a seed to start Isaac in a room next to a muliboom and to give Maggie Pyromaniac but I did the Judas and Azazel runs by hand. You can still use R to reset the Azazel run right as long as you don't fully die?

Look in your log, it should say "Puzzle quest complete 1/4" or something after each requisite bit.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Scorps posted:

Yes it was 100% the 2nd phase of Satan where the statue comes to life and I made specifically sure it was not his brimstone laser. When I try again I'll just run straight into his body I think.

I am just not sure where along the lines it "failed" me and makes me wonder if him patching seeds working on other things made it not work for unlocking the lost anymore.

Look one post up :ssh:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ChibiSoma posted:

Awesome. Just beat the last Challenge I needed to finish them all off and oh hey the trophy didn't pop. Can these dipshits loving get their game working correctly already?

No, because Sony won't let them patch it for another few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Hit upon my most powerful combo for Chest/Dark Room abuse: Swallowed Penny, Piggy Bank, Sharp Plug and D20. Just keep on rerolling poo poo until you get chests, open em and repeat.