Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sad Panda posted:

Are there unlocks/achievements for Repentance hard mode clears? I know there were from Afterbirth and have all those.

Outside of the "beat everything on hard mode" unlocks mentioned there's nothing specific like there was for Apollyon and Forgotten. Except unlocking Bethany I guess but you've probably done that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Evil Kit posted:

Hard mode really isn't that much different aside from less room drops and a few more champions. I'm not even good at the game and I don't ever not play on Hard at this point. Just feels like normal at this point.

I believe at some point this was true about hard mode but it was changed at some point and now it's just red hearts that drop less, which is irrelevant for several characters anyways. Because the floors are a couple rooms larger and you get a lot more champions (although they only drop items 33% of the time) you generally have more resources in hard mode.

edit: The other changes are here, it's really not that bad. https://bindingofisaacrebirth.fandom.com/wiki/Hard_mode

goferchan fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 29, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I don't totally hate curses but I wish there was a small reward to balance them out, like getting to choose between two items after beating the boss or getting a few black hearts at the end of the level or really anything. I also strongly feel they should never show up on the first floor (except labyrinth because it would kind of have to) from a game design perspective, just because it makes it way too tempting to restart. Maybe I'll learn to mod because I don't want to use the ones that remove them entirely

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Black hearts as a boss reward for curse of the unknown floors is a great idea. I have no clue on what could improve blind/darkness cursed floors, they just suck.

All item rooms offer a choice between 2 items with curse of the blind :troll:

edit: I've seen another mod that lets you get friendly fly versions of the flaming will-o-wisp guys from Downpour, having a chance for friendly flies to spawn as those in a darkness cursed floor would be cool

goferchan fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 30, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah Sewing Machine is incredibly cool. It's also for the most part implemented into the Encyclopedia mod so you can look at familiars in your inventory or in the room and see what their upgraded effects are. It makes some really bad items into much more interesting picks

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

flatluigi posted:

what is this 'collection' b/c it's hard to google

You can sub to the "Collections Collection" and it will keep all 5 of the guy's mods updated. Each one is built around a certain theme, like gold/shops, sewers/rotten hearts, and quarry/explosive stuff.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Ariong posted:

Turdlet is the Downpour/Dross boss I am least likely to go for in the mirrored world. It's just so difficult to predict. I'll only go for it if I am confident I can A) kill it quickly and B) finish the fight within a few seconds of the second phase starting.

Huh, see I don't mind him at all because you always have flight & so you're guaranteed immune to his whirlpool effect

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The most successful strategy for forcing the Missing Poster to drop when you need the Lost unlock seems to be having a really, really good run going that you don't want to throw away by committing suicide.

(alternatively, if you really want to feel like you're doing something to influence the odds, play Cain, stockpile coins and look for secret rooms/arcades/Wheel of Fortune cards and hope for fortune teller machines. I think with Lucky Foot you've got like a 1/7 chance of them dropping a trinket per coin and that's probably the easiest way to cycle through them en masse -- even if they don't drop Missing Poster, whatever trinkets they drop get removed from the pool making Missing Poster more likely to appear later)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Mr Phillby posted:

I followed your advice and played a few games as Cain.

The mysterious paper dropped! I'm not sure what the chances are of it mimicing Missing poster actually are but the run was bad enough that I was willing to roll the dice.

It paid off though, so thanks a lot for helping me get the Lost unlocked. I've been playing this particular save since it launched on switch. I didn't know about the new Lost unlock method until Repentance launched and added like 60 more trinkets.

Now i just need to unlock the forsaken and the rest of the tainted characters.

Nice! Congrats. Mysterious Paper switches between the 4 "paper" trinkets every single frame so you hit a very nice 25% chance there. And I'm assuming you mean The Forgotten and not the boss Forsaken -- honestly that run is a lot of fun even if a couple of the items that trivialized it got nerfed in Repentance. I'm glad I only had to do it one time, but it's still not that bad if you play Azazel and just take your time and milk the stomp for all it's worth opening up secret rooms and marked rocks and stuff. One good thing to know going in is that if you're holding the broken shovel, the boss run is 100% guaranteed to spawn regardless of your timer, so there's no need to rush. Just play it safe and take advantage of all the extra resources Mom's foot lets you get.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Can't remember if I posted it but here's a mod I really like just based on strength of implementation of the source material: Risk of Rain 2 Chests and Items -- it adds a bunch of new items from RoR into the game that appear in new special chests of various rarities that cost money to open. Like in Risk of Rain, a lot of them provide pretty minor bonuses, but the same item can drop more than once and they all have some sort of multiplicative scaling at work that causes them to become more powerful as you pick up duplicates. The balance could use a little work on some points but it's a really neat translation of how items work in that game

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Mr Phillby posted:

Honestly item descriptions should just be in the base game at this point. I can't even trust my memory or all the videos and guides I've watched beyond the past six months because half the items got tweaked or changed recently.

I've been playing The Void Rains Upon Her Heart a lot lately (sweet little boss rush bullet hell roguelite) and I like the way it handles this stuff. There's a ton of items and most of them are unlocked by completing specific discrete achievements like in BoI and they have similarly vague, generic descriptions. However the primary use for the meta currency you accumulate across runs is "radiating" items (or monsters) you've discovered, which reveals a detailed encyclopedia entry that lists exact numbers and hidden interactions and stuff like that. It's a fun balance between preserving some mystery and not making you need a wiki to understand how things work.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Kill Moms Heart ten times and Hush three times to unlock the alt path and a ton of new unlocks.

All of the first 20 challenges (except #11, skip that one) unlocks strong items, cards or runes. Between challenge 21-35 you might want to look at 23 (gold bomb), 32 (gives Maggy a full heal pill at the start of every run), 33 (charged key). The repentance challenges (36-45) all have good or extremely powerful unlocks.

Oh yeah definitely don't sleep on the challenges. I would also advise once you're comfortable with Greed Mode switching to hard/greedier mode as you'll get both unlocks at once and speed up the donation machine progress and the changes aren't that bad if you're not super used to the original Greed mode. Shop donation machine upgrades are also very powerful and persist across runs and unfortunately are one of the only really tedious metagrinds in the game, so don't neglect them.

edit: also with runes specifically there's no advantage to selectively only unlocking the best ones -- if a rune would drop that's still locked, instead it's replaced with a Rune Shard that gives a significantly weaker version of a random rune effect

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It does not have to be over consecutive days. And I fully encourage your desire for 100% completion but for what it's worth Cracked Crown did get nerfed somewhat in Repentance so it's not a super powerful must-get item anymore if that makes you feel better

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lol you would have loved the initial rebalance then (I think this was in one of the early Rebirth patches?) where what felt like half the time instead of loot it would just spawn hostile spiders

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

No Wave posted:

Laz looks insane now jeez. You can die every floor and you only lose 1 heart and gain +.5 damage each time? And you can have 23 hearts for your delirium fight?

Yeah that's sweet, even though it's several years late I think it's a great idea for the game to have a de facto easy mode character -- while Azazel kind of fits that role, the flight and beam attack make him mechanically really different from "normal" Isaac gameplay.

edit: tons of item buffs too, what looks like a new ash pit boss, and unique champion sprites for bosses!!

goferchan fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 22, 2022

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

If I were remaking Isaac from scratch I wonder if I'd keep the "item pool" system at all. as you say, it's cool for incentivizing players to hunt down different sources of items, and theoretically it lets you make progression a little more consistent -- you're more likely to get a damage/tears up item from a boss drop that way, for example.

It's already used a little in Repentance, but in my head what I'd probably do instead is give each item internal tags like "DPS up" or "Angelic" or whatever, and use these to nudge the RNG. So maybe your treasure room and boss drop items are heavily weighted at the start towards giving you a DPS up item, but once you've received one the chance returns to normal. Maybe certain bosses/floors could also give extra weight to particular tags, to incentivize going to alt floors based on how your build is shaping up -- like, "I've got a lot of bomb synergy items already, so I should do the Quarry".

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

I was kinda hoping for some updates to the more annoying tainted characters (increase the spawn rate of holy card for T. Lost gawd).

The champion bosses are really cool though, that's a great addition.

To be fair, making Blank Card significantly less rare was probably an even better buff

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Mods have gotten pretty cool, last time I messed around with them Job was the only "complete" character with a tainted version and a post-it and unlockables etc but now there are several. I've been playing Andromena lately who's neat, you get a sort-of-reroll pocket item that lets you turn a treasure room you've entered but not picked up the item in into a "abandoned planetarium" which has some loot and a chance of an item but most crucially increases your Planetarium chance as if you never entered in the first place. Picking up several Zodiac/Planetarium items grants her a strong unique transformation, and if you get all of her completion marks the transformation becomes available to all other characters as well.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Mega Satan not giving a guaranteed void portal is baffling and the fact that people haven't even been able to mod it in without messing something up makes me think Edmund couldn't change it at this point if he wanted to

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Evil Kit posted:

I know this sort of posting about posters but Arf what the hell happened for you to get that avatar lol.

Lol. But, I mean, you noticed him, didn't you?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah I think there are several instances in the lifetime of the game where Edmund overcorrected on balance/nerfs but Repentance has the game in the best spot it's ever been in. There was understandably some complaining when it came out as a few popular strategies were gutted, but in retrospect a lot of those required exploiting game mechanics in tedious ways. In my experience it's easier now in many ways to consistently get a build together that's capable of beating the game, and for every busted OP build that's not possible anymore, one or two new ones now exist

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Released Feb. 2018, still in early access.

Finish your game!

The dev really can't seem to resist feature creep. Not complaining because it's led to a bunch of great content but like.... here's something from the last patch note when I bought the game 2 years ago in July 2020 and it was a couple bosses and some cutscenes away from leaving EA

quote:

Coming Soon
Just a few bug fixes and smaller tweaks before the FINAL CONTENT UPDATE

Since then he's added 30+ new bosses, like 100+ new items, two alternate game modes that play very differently and have a ton of content and their own associated unlocks, and doubled the character roster by giving them all very different "tainted" equivalents. Still the same placeholder cutscenes though lol

edit: Like it's definitely not a dead project, it gets very very regular content updates, but at this point I think he's just going to develop it forever and 1.0 is like a zeno's arrow paradox thing

goferchan fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 5, 2022

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

No Wave posted:

It's a game I absolutely recommend but the power ups are waaaay less crazy than isaac and it's never given me a god run high. I still dont think there's anything out there that's even in the same ballpark as isaac when it comes to power up craziness.

Revita gets close with some "fill the screen with bullets and hold down the attack button to beat the final boss in 10 seconds" builds you can luck into, but I think what makes Isaac feel unique is the poo poo you can do outside of the combat portion. When everything comes together you're rerolling items and duplicating pickups and manipulating RNG and it makes you feel like you're Neo and you've hacked into the code of the matrix. That feeling of mastering the rules so you can break them is just incredibly empowering

edit: like it's one thing to find a build that lets you whoop the final boss, but it's an Isaac thing to find a build that lets you beat one of the final bosses and then rewind time to beat a different final boss and get credit for finishing two different runs at once

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, The Chest -> Mega Satan is the best first route to go for with a new character because the Tainted ones open up new game mechanics like the crane machine or the confessional booth and the chest gives you a much better power spike than the dark room.

I don't think the person asking for progression advice even has the alt-paths unlocked yet, so these goals are a little ways off. Beating Mega Satan for the first time will unlock a new character but other than that he will not unlock anything for the initial pool of characters. Well, co-op babies, but those are even more pointless now that there's real co-op.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz5GBDsLqlM

Fiend Folio for Rebirth is out. Haven't tried it yet but from what I understand it's a very well polished big expansion mod comparable to the original Antibirth or something. Looking forward to checking it out

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Sad Panda posted:

On Switch so can't play, but having watched that trailer it's mind-blowing how much effort some people go on these mods. It looks pretty phenomenal.

Oh man I love modding this game lol. Usually I'll throw a bunch on at once to see what sticks and then play a few runs and pare it down to the really good ones. Here's what my insane character select screen looks like

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah I've sunk triple digit hours into each iteration of BoI and generally had a blast doing so. I think the reason buying everything up to Repentance is just so strongly recommended for everyone, even new players, is because while previous expansions focused on new challenges to complete and stuff to unlock for people who already beat everything, Repentance also includes a sweeping rework of lots of content that has existed since the base game, and makes it more fun and interesting.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah Ultra Greed isn't super tough but it's a long fight and kind of boring after the first time. I actually really like the gameplay of Greed mode but I would rather fight (almost) any of the other final bosses at the end.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

BabyRyoga posted:

Any Repentance exclusives I should try to unlock early? Already got a lot of the basic OP stuff unlocked like the better runes, knife, chaos card, death's touch, d6. Not sure what I should focus on next.

I would shoot to unlock all runes, Repentance switched things up so it's no longer a good idea to game the unlocks and just get the good ones. Now there are "rune shards" that can drop in place of locked runes which are basically shittier unlabeled versions of any given rune. Unlocking all of them makes the shards stop showing up

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah I'm not sure if it's as simple as "whenever a locked rune would drop, a rune shard drops instead" I just know they stop showing up when you unlock them all

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Like so many other elements of Isaac it comes back to resource management, the resource here being "your level of self respect". I'm not above doing some goofy tedious poo poo to achieve some big power spike but sometimes there's a point where it's just too silly and time consuming and I have to say no, I'm not going to do that.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah the large majority of them are at least fun for a few runs even if you might get sick of them by the time you've hit all the completion marks. I would say in general the designs are much cooler than any non-tainted DLC characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

DontMockMySmock posted:

Time to play the waiting game. But wait! I also swallowed Mom's Toenail! So to get the max possible damage up, I had to wait for Placenta to trigger 17 times while dodging Mom's foot every 20 seconds. Jesus christ.

Lmao. Why would you swallow that