Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ugh, browsing this thread makes me want to restart my Gunpla hobby, grab a MG Tallgeese, acquire a MG Tallgeese 3 somehow, and try airbrushing my models for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

itshappening.avi

isn't that just from this?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I just used gold metallic spray and then markered in the black areas. Not perfect but it looks good on my MG Sinanju.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

TaurusOxford posted:

I don't think I could even imagine a world where I could buy a plastic 1/35 Ex-S Gundam. :stare:

Pssst, it's the timeline without Trump. The timeline where Build Fighters are real.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The Volks line of SRW stuff? They're more poseable figures than models. I wouldn't even describe them as action figures because they're not exactly articulated well enough.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

So, are we ever going to get those new action bases that're included with some kits?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Guy Goodbody posted:

Those stands are fantastic

Are those stands ever going to be sold standalone or we stuck with only getting them in certain kits?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Arcsquad12 posted:

http://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2017/06/review-hguc-1144-gundam-01-tristan.html

Is Bandai loving serious, here? They have had the interchangeable leg joints for loving years now, and this is what the Tristan gets.

I haven't build Gunpla in years, what do you mean by interchangeable leg joints?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Bimmi posted:

No, that's exactly how it went down, but eventually someone decided they had to be part of the main continuity and we got the "United Maintenance Plan" rear end-pull as result, though they're so wildly different from the designs that inspired them that they are still pretty much their own thing to this day, regardless of what the so-called canon says.

It's also the case with 0083's designs.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Haven't built a model in over a decade but decided to jump back in and, for the first time, actually topcoat it. Don't really have the time to start yet till the summer but what's a good place to let your models dry? Don't exactly have a single place at home that can be considered dust free. Would it be alright to just stick the pieces in a box with a solid seal and just let it dry that way?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Grabbed an RG Astray Gold Frame Amatsu Mina, planning to practice on a pair of HGAC Leos when those come out. Will probably grab a RG Tallgeese depending on local versus online prices.

The Leos and Tallgeese would probably be easy to do, but the Gold Frame looks like hell. How do you guys usually separate parts for top coating? By limbs and further separation for finicky bits?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

EVGA Longoria posted:

I keep hearing this, but then when I check none of the stores within 40 miles carry them. Maybe they'll finally expand them to all stores? That'd definitely get me to actually got to a Gamestop again.

Given the amount of shelf space a gunpla kit takes up, I doubt many stores will ever carry them.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

EVGA Longoria posted:

The last time I went in, half the shelf space in the store was taken up by Funk pop and other action figures and stuff. Admittedly Funko is pretty popular, but the stores already dedicate a huge chunk of space to misc things (that mostly don't seem to be selling great)

Admittedly, Canada has EBgames instead of Gamestop (Though they're owned by them, but apparently EB had more of a brand up north) and while there is more merch now than previously, I've mostly seen it around the cashier area.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Solkanar512 posted:

So I just saw the craziest thing. I was cutting pieces off of a normal plastic sprue, and I cut out a particularly large one.

The one large piece was actually three or four smaller pieces connected by ball and socket joints and made with multiple types of plastic. How in the gently caress are these even made?!

Upon closer inspection, it looks like a bunch of custom poly caps were molded right onto parts of the internal frame. This poo poo is nuts.

For reference: Build Strike Gundam Full Package [RG System Image Color].

Bandai makes every other model manufacturer look like simpletons.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Guy Goodbody posted:

But Battletech robot designs are terrible. it's a lot cheaper, and it may even be a better game, but if you're mainly in it for cool robots, Battletech vs Warhammer isn't even a contest

Warhammer robot

Battletech robots

Come on, at least use some Warhams back in its infancy.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Sazabi posted:

Didn't they Edo some Macross designs that were pretty awful yet unmistakably Macross.

Those were licensed from a Japanese studio. It's a stupid mess. IIRC recently it was ruled that both the company that licensed Macross to Harmony Gold and the company that licensed the Macross designs for BTech did not have the rights to them.

The scopedog-Atlas is one of those cases where it's not licensed but it's also not a 1:1 trace/redraw. Though it's still really similar.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I mean, disarmament after a war tends to happen because wars have just gotten so drat expensive to fight. WW1 tends to be the better example here because everybody was exhausted and the US just wanted to isolate itself again, but it's not like everyone immediately transitioned to building up for the Cold War after WW2.

TBH Celestial Being's plan was basically bullshit from the start. It's basically

1) Antagonize everyone into fighting you
2) ???
3) Prepare for the dialogues to come!

Partly because the founder of CB wasn't some superintelligent mastermind. He was a man with a vision for the future of mankind among the stars. And then he put a computer in charge. It did a great job, but it also did a horrible job. CB were basically farsighted and ruthless enough (usually) to be the sort to be able to unite humanity, just a little indirectly by giving them something to unite against rather than forcefully or diplomatically.

Hell, one of the reasons the world mostly stayed unified (there were some small nations deliberately left out) was because rather than supporting the newly unified world from the shadows, as was presumably the plan, the guy who hijacked the supercomputer became a part of the shadowy side of the new world government.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Sazabi posted:

You forgot S2 where the unified world government immediately started bullying Mino nation's into joining, killing any who resisted. Killing civilians fun, building superweapons to intimidate everyone, and the evil clone guy never really thought past " I'm genetically superior so I should rule all humans". He doesn't really commit to where he'll lead humanity, just that he should be the one to do it.

That's unity!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

MJP posted:

The short-rear end knife on the Heavyarms disagrees with your statement

"Guys, we've built this suit to spam the enemy with suppressing fire from no less than three Gatling guns. It will excel at long-range warfare. Did we forget anything?"

"Yeah, a blade that only works at close quarters!"

"Dr. J, you're a loving genius"

At least that has a bit of range, miniscule as it is, that works in the context of motions a humanoid can make. The Moon Gundam's is way worse. And is also a beam boomerang-like thing? Which I think SEED/Destiny established as the stupidest poo poo ever.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Is that a loving GNX? I loving love the GNX.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I did the gold bits on my MG Sinanju with a Tamiya spray can, and went over the black bits with a Gundam marker. From personal experience, the results can be good but if you're into Gunpla and want to paint even more, then you may as well invest in an airbrush.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Old Swerdlow posted:

I painted my first kit with rattle cans and found it to not be worth the effort. Paint just goes on way too thick compared to an airbrush. It obscured a lot of the panels lines and it was a huge struggle to assemble it afterwards. To me it would be a better investment to put that money towards a cheap airbrush, it not like rattle can paint is very cheap to begin with.

Pretty much. If you're only going to build, say, one or two kits a year and you want to do some paint but not a complete paint job, and then rattle cans are going to be way friendlier for your budget, but the results are also extremely limited. As Midjack said, they result is pretty thick even in the optimal conditions and it would be incredibly costly/ugly to do a full paint job with them. For something like gold on my MG Sinanju, it was fine. I didn't care to paint the whole kit and it's way better than the stickers, but an airbrush would've done a far better job while being more efficient with paint usage.

Honestly, I don't build kits enough these days to really get back into it but if I do get back into the hobby on a regular basis I'm definitely going to get an airbrush.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

RillAkBea posted:

Also, new figure line announced: Gundam Universe

https://twitter.com/figsoku/status/1082853494401294337?s=19

Set at 3000 yen for 6 inch figures. And yet another Barbatos that isn't a master grade.

Why is the RX-78 holding the Strike Gundam's rifle?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I got a RG Tallgeese and a HGAC Leo. I might add another Leo down the line but I sort of want a relatively low effort diorama of sorts by posing the Tallgeese next to the Leos and poo poo, sort of a squad leader formation thing. Too bad the space/flight Leos are P-Bandai but the HGBD Leo could be nice to make it less uniform.

I've been looking around and the GM/GM looks pretty nice for a grunt kit and there's also the weapons pack that gives you some nice options for weapons. I don't think there's really a great RG to fit as the squad leader since Gundams stand out too much compared to GMs. Anyone know any HG 1/144 GMs that are good kits to build/pose that'll be a good fit as sort of the GM/GM's boss/leader?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Looks like the HGUC GM III is a tad older and suffers for it. Unfortunately, seems to be the case for most of those kits.

K9 looks a bit too ace custom to be a commander variant. GM Cardigan looks more appropriate. I like the look of the Thunderbolt GM too.

Too bad the GM's extended family are kind of too different. Nothing lines up as conveniently as a Tallgeese-Leo squad would.

Shame the Gundam Ground Type/GM Ground Type are kind of too different around the torso since they seem to be very solid kits in terms of posing and accessory-wise. Oh well, I can sit on this longer. Heck, if I end up getting an airbrush for gunpla the colors won't be a big deal.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

RillAkBea posted:

Ooh ouch. Bandai finally putting out RG Banshee's Armed Armor VN/BS but of course it's a P-Bandai.

https://p-bandai.jp/hobby/special-1000009986/

drat it. While I like Banshee Norn I'd really love the vibration nails too. Looks like it can do dynamic poses with them too, whereas the HG was a static pose and the MG only had rotation along one axis (and thus couldn't spread out the arms).

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Veotax posted:

Metal Gear?!

I was in London again last week so I picked up this weird-looking fucker. Not much to say other than it was refreshing to do an HG again after a couple of RG's. Surprised that a kit this recent (2016) has single-jointed elbows.

The wires for the claws are kinda' weak, took me a few tries to get it posed in a way that the claw isn't pointing the ground.

Is the gimmick of the IBO line that they're lightly armoured and as such have a full internal frame? That was neat.

Don't have a free stand so my poses are pretty weak for this one.

Any hoo, I also picked up the RG Astray Red Frame so I'm going to start on that soon. I'm finally moving at the start of next month so that's going to be the last kit I'm going to build before then. That makes nine kits since I started in December. I think I might make my tenth and the first one in my new place a Master Grade.

Yeah, the in-setting gimmick is that the Ahab Reactors for mobile suits are incredibly difficult to manufacture and most are salvaged from a war 300 years ago. MS frames have almost as much longevity and are made of incredibly durable material. Most of the MS in the series are based on three or four different chassis and while I don't think the actual show goes that far depicting it, they definitely marketed it in a similar manner to Build Fighters for mixing and matching your Gunpla parts. Armor-wise they're pretty durable but weapons technology is deliberately restricted. It's a fun series.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not quite; Ahab Reactors are perfectly easy to make and quite prevalent in both ships and Mobile Suits, what's actually lost is how to make a pair of them synchronize 00-Gundam style. That's what makes the Gundam Frames so rare and powerful.

Production is monopolized by one group however, so everyone else makes do with salvage.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Bandai frame arms would be rad. They've already done a lot of the foundational stuff in the accessories with the BF and BD line.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

RillAkBea posted:

The tagline translates to "Fans of mass-production suits, stand up!"

Hell yeah, I picked a good time to get back into Gunpla.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Build Divers has done a pretty shoddy job overall pushing custom kits, given almost nobody got a new mobile suit for the second cour.

Well rip. I haven't touched the show, just following what's come out.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

3D printed stuff is probably your only bet. The Battletech line has been mired in such a mess you'd have a hard time finding anything.

You can track down stuff that was made for the original series that Battletech repurposed but you're probably out of luck having them look good without a lot of work. I think Macross is really the only series that's still active with model kits, but it's nowhere near as developed as Gundam is (most things aren't) and it's not always Bandai-designed so quality will vary. The other problem is that Destroid stuff is generally going to be older because the series gets more and more transformable fighter-laden over time, with Destroids primarily featuring in Macross Zero and the original series/movie.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Well, issues with the IP aside, doesn't Bandai own some of the patents for tech that's part of why their kits are so good? I imagine the expected volume of gunpla sales (and reusable sprues) factors into how and why their kits are so cheap yet so good.

That said, now that they're branching into generic mecha, it'd be lovely to see one-off or small series of "guests" from non-Gundam franchises and such.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I just wish the Unicorn grunts didn't just copy real life firearms and then make them blockier. It's certainly not a awful basis to work from but they do too little with it and leave in a lot of stuff that wouldn't make much sense on a giant robot gun.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I've always been curious about the Salamis Kai's hangar setup. Like, we know it more or less adapted the Albion's mobile suit bay's elevator to launch catapult setup but it's underappreciated compared to the dozens of shots from inside the MS bays of many other ships.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It may look menacing at first but that's just the Nightingale on some Neo Zeon wreckage. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Puddin posted:

They're all linked.

Unicorn disappears at the end of UC:0096, narrative is a new test bed, which leads to the Nu.

Other way around. Nu is 0093. Narrative looks to be based off the Nu.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

On one hand I initially really disliked the SEED Zakus. Not only did they not really have the grunt suit charm, it was also unnecessarily awkward.

On the other hand, it's since grown on me but not really in the grunt suit realm.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It looks so flat I thought it was a render.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

There's also the Gouf R35 from Build Fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Arcsquad12 posted:

Get the Gouf R35 kit. It's based on the revive frame and comes with a ton of that kits parts as alternatives to the R35 parts, so you can build a customized version if you like.

That's nice to hear. I wasn't aware of whether or not it was based off the other kit or used a slightly different mold.