Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Just getting into this hobby after a recent vacation to Japan and buying $100 worth of Acguy kits (Jaburo combo pack, MG kit, and social edition gold HG kit). Because he is just adorable.

I think I might be insane because I absolutely love the looks of just about all the Zeon amphibious suits and want to eventually build a complete line of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Darth Walrus posted:

Juagg centrepiece, of course?

It will be a tough decision between that and this guy:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

You're gonna have to get Hygogg, which is great because that is a rad as gently caress design.

Yup. My favorites so far are Acguy, Juaggu, Hygogg, and Z'Gok. The Gogg, Zock, and Zogok are ok. Any other Zeon suits I left out of that list?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Uznare posted:

The Capule! Which is the true best amphibious suit.

Haha, that does look pretty baller.

e: Zeon suit designs are so much more fun than Federation.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I'm jealous of this guy's skills: http://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2014/02/mg-1100-acguy-diorama-build.html

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

BlitzBlast posted:

So I know he probably gets this stuff for free,

but I don't think you needed three Neo Zeongs YellowSubmarine.

Wait, YellowSubmarine is a person? I thought it was just an awesome store in Akihabara.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

BlitzBlast posted:

They have their own blog, so I kind of just assumed.

Ahh, yeah. It is a really awesome hobby store. I went there on my vacation a couple weeks ago. A little pricey, but the selection for gundam kits and parts (guns, joints, and other misc. parts) was unmatched by any other store I went to.

e: Also, a lot of older, out of production kits, too!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Yay, my very first models! Built them in order from left to right.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

BlitzBlast posted:

Well done! The only critiques I can make are just stuff inherent to the model (mold lines, seams, noticeable nubs). Though your Gogg's right hand does have a little nib on the... is that the pinkie?

Thanks! What do you guys normally do about mold lines and seams? I'm slowly getting better at removing nubs.

Also, I like the way that Megas XLR is shaping up.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Dec 11, 2014

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

madpanda posted:

Hi-5 first kit Gogg buddy. They get better.

Haha. He actually grew on me a lot as I was building him. That belly and those hands are adorable.

He was basically my "is this a good idea" kit. Learned a lot about what not to do on him. Including removing a leg from a socket. Had to get some glue to fix that. :v:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Thanks again for the advice. Airbrushing is a bit past how far I want to take this hobby at this current point in time. The putty may be, as well, but not too sure on that.

Regardless, it's good stuff to know.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Spreading of sanding, would a high grit paper work for removing discoloration left by sprues?

I shave the sprue until it is smooth and level with the surrounding areas of a piece, but it still leaves behind a mark that is a few shades darker than the base color.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The discoloration goes downwards into the plastic, so no. The best way is to leave a lot of nub and slowly sand all the nub away until smooth and then use polishing paper, but that takes forever.

Welp. I have already been leaving a lot of nub and using a knife to slowly shave away.

Guess I will sand them down for my MG and limited edition kits, and do my normal thing for HG.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
My clear Juaggu came in the other day. Need to finish up my MG Acguy first, though.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

everythingWasBees posted:

Before I go down this rabbit hole, does anybody know what are good resources for finding resin conversions? I'm looking for Gundam Artemie kits, but it seems they've been out of production for a couple of years.

Maybe I'm dumb and this isn't what you are looking for, but I did find this: http://www.shopgundam.com/gundam-figures/c3-hobby-2010-1144-gundam-artemie-resin-kit-gundam-00p/

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Warmachine posted:

Does anyone have any advice for making joints tighter? I finished the G-Self's body, and it has some serious problems with the shoulder and hand joints popping out. I... uh... also cracked one of the photon frames when I was trying to remove it. I'm guessing there's no way to get replacement parts in the States outside of buying another G-Self, huh?

You can try putting a very small square of tissue paper or paper towel between the ball and the socket.

--

Still building my MG Acguy. Finished the body and almost done with the head. It is so drat cool. Doing a body part over the course of two weeks to avoid getting burnt out.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
These beauties just came in today:

e: holy poo poo, imgur didn't resize that at all
e2: Resized and rehosted

Kibner fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 30, 2014

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ka0 posted:

Zeon amphibious suit fetish.

You have no idea. I also have an Acguy, Gold Acguy, MG Acguy, Z'Gok, Gogg, and Clear Juaggu,

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Warmachine posted:

You and Sharkopath are going to be best friends.

I almost bought the 7-11 and GFT Acguys while I was on vacation in Japan last month (first international trip ever). I really didn't like the paint schemes on them, though.

I really, really like Acguy. >_>

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Wing Gundam might be my new favourite HG. Just a really nice little kit, everything fits together perfectly, all the joints are great, really vivid colours.

It'd be perfect as a first gunpla too, because it's fairly low parts count.

Speaking of that, I opened up my Zock kit just to take a look and it's probably not a good beginner's kit. It has six runners. Most of my other HG kits only have four. That thing has a lot of parts. I'll probably build it after I finish my MG Acguy.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

chumbler posted:

I should mention I'm not painting or sealing these, just doing panel lining on them out of the box. Still, it sounds like getting the various components together first is the way to go. Thanks.

I'm in the same boat as you. I do lining after I finish removing the nubs off each piece. After I finish a step, I do a touch-up pass to get any areas I miss. Doing it on a completed model is just awfully difficult or impossible to get to certain places that are visible but the pen can't reach.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Broken Loose posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQyY1yfC8p4

get some sprue nippers and do what this episode says.

I haven't gotten to that episode in the series, yet, but that was an amazing one.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I think a really nice Heavyarms is one of the very few things that can get me to stray from my Zeon amphibious-unit love.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Just finished the right arm of my MG Acguy. It has a couple cool features:

The claws are spring loaded. You can press the cannon in the center of the claw-hand in order to release them.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

I feel I may be falling to the curse of this thread.

Finished my Hygogg and want more amphibious Zeon suits, and also considering Gundam X.

No such thing as too many amphibious Zeon suits.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

So since I acquested to the thread's whims and got a MG Gundam X, and it was a rad as hell build, what would you guys recommend in the way of non-Gundam MGs?

I particularly like bulky suits (if I had the cash, I would totally get MG The O)

Tallgeese has always looked cool in the shows to me. Also, they make MG Acguy, Z'Gok, and Gogg kits. Also, Quebley!

note: I have never built any of these, except for the Acguy (which I still have two legs left to assemble)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
At the risk of sounding dumb, what makes the Godhand snipping tool so much better than a quality Tamiya snipper?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Thanks for the answers, guys.

MJP posted:

I only got it so I could get very close, do a minor Xacto shave, and move on. So far I'm happier snap building; painting has its merits but I'm OK with stock colors thus far. As such if I have a tool that reduces building time effectively, I'm all about it.

This is about where I'm at, so I'll be on the lookout for one.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I finished my first ever MG today (took me about a month). Say hi to the kind goons, Acguy!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Maybe he just ended his sentence early and left out "... of boxes" at the end. :haw:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Which should be built first, the elephant* or the egg**?

* Juaggu
** Zock

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Not sure if this is the right thread, but drat, I really want this 1/4000 SDF-1 Macross Fortress Warship.

E: fixed image

Kibner fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 14, 2015

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
What grit sandpapers to people normally use to rubdown and then polish away their nubs? I found these three packs on Amazon but not sure which one to pick up (or should it be all three?):

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Thanks for the advice guys. I plan on sanding after I cut trim the nubs with my nippers. I'm basically trying to avoid the accidental scarring and gouging that sometimes happens when trying to shave with an exacto knife.

e: I think you are supposed to use a circular motion while sanding, right? Go clockwise for a bit and then reverse direction so that it is smooth from all angles.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 15, 2015

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Haha, glad I said something, then!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Dregs posted:

I don't know anything about this hobby, but my son and I saw some models at the local hobby store and he really, really wants to get into it. He is 10. I looked around a bit on Amazon and found this: http://www.amazon.com/Gundam-MS-06F-2-Zaku-Zeon-Scale/dp/B0032ZD5P2/ref=pd_sim_t_46?ie=UTF8&refRID=1SQ5HVZP2CH2HGCSDDDP . H e likes the beefier looking ones like as opposed to the skinny ones with huge guns and fins errywhere. Can you perhaps point me towards some more affordable models in this vein that would be approriate for a 10 year old.

We tried watching some old Macross stuff on Hulu today. Macross 2. He didn't like it. Too many weird girls in bathing suits he said. Are there some cartoons more suited to the younger mindset as well?

Gundam Build Fighters like the guys above me is a show he would love. There is even an episode in there that shows some of the basics to making a kit (around 12 or 14 or so).

Also, I got this set as my first kit and liked it a lot. Gives a good variety of different suits that should be the type your son likes.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
There are a few other sites that you may want to check out for price matching purposes. The OP has some links at the end. If you and your son want to just see what models are out there, check out http://dalong.net. Click the 'HG' link in the toolbar at the top and then 'English Catalog' on the side. He does a thorough review of nearly every model, so it is a good way to find the names of suits that your kid likes.

The only tool you really need to get him started is a pair of nippers. Tamiya is a reliable brand to buy tools from.

An optional thing is to also pick up a Gundam Fine Line pen. It is used to highlight panel lines and makes the model look better. They come in three colors (that I know of): grey, black, and brown. Grey is the most commonly used.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Dregs posted:

Thanks guys. He really wants that Kampfer Amazing. Is Amazon a good place to buy it?

Check the prices there and the prices on the other sites in the OP.

There is a particular vendor on Amazon that you want to stay away from, but I can't remember the name. They ship from Japan and have the absolute worst packing I have seen from a company. They put the model box in either a large padded everyone envelope or in a cardboard box with no padding at all.

Since they ship freight for cheap, you are not unlikely to get a damaged box and a damaged kit.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Literally The Worst posted:

Toy Shop Japan HobbyOne.

There ya go. Pay the extra dollar and avoid that company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Dregs posted:

I...I don't want to watch 17 episodes just so that I can appreciate squeeling teen girls. I really, really don't. I think I'll just drop it now and stick to talking about the actual factual plastic robots.

One guy is definitely being a jerk. Sorry about that.

--

It could just be the years messing with my memory, but I think Megas XLR could be a good giant fighting robot kid's show.