Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Any folks familiar with Sentinel's Riobot line of robot toys?

I've been eyeing their upcoming Raideen figure as a possible sensible investment to make as sensible adult, but I'm not familiar with them and I'd rather avoid throwing money at a lemon if I could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SpikeMcclane posted:

I have a couple. They're about the same as a SoC.

Zebulon posted:

So, in short you can expect it to probably be a pretty nice figure but you may or may not find it to be a bit (or a lot) overpriced for what you get.

Thanks! That lines up about with what I've heard elsewhere.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Beautiful work, Philthy!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gripweed posted:

OK first off who doesn't have Twitter embeds on?

Desktop FIrefox doesn't show them even if they're on!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Oh, great. Now I have to go look at my settings.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

have to pair this with an RB-79

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

...what Gundam thing came out in 2015?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I knew IBO was as hit but I didn't realize it was that big.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Electrophotonic posted:

Trying to put aside any thoughts regarding the fate of the original owner,

it really was tragic what happened with Four Murasame

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RillAkBea posted:

Interesting that despite it being a Ver. Ka and specifically the 20th annivery Ver. Ka, the big marketing gimmick is it's super close to the original design.

Not to be super reductive to Katoki's whole style but more than a few of his redesigns feel like basically "what if this suit's proportions were more in like with Zeta's?"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

YanniRotten posted:

yes but did you really need 20 Acguys?

the cost won't matter after we've taken Jaburo

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
No Gift Receipt, Thanks, These Toys Are For Me

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gripweed posted:

holy poo poo it's happening

how the gently caress did they make the loving rose gundam look good

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I saw some L-Gaim kits at my (not so) local hobby store. Does anyone have any experience with them? I've always dug their designs.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Schwarzwald posted:

Any folks familiar with Sentinel's Riobot line of robot toys?

I've been eyeing their upcoming Raideen figure as a possible sensible investment to make as sensible adult, but I'm not familiar with them and I'd rather avoid throwing money at a lemon if I could.

I feel a little embarrassed posting something that was complete out-of-the-box alongside the excellent work y'all have posted, but I figured I should provide an update to this having finally received the Riobot Raideen.

Despite it's sharper design, it's a surprisingly orthodox figure! It feels slightly more fragile than my SoC's, which was a little frightening with how stiff the joints are, but I haven't had any problems with it. The wings make it quite top heavy, so the stand was welcome.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Big Duo is the coolest loving design in a show with a lot of cool loving designs.

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered a million times already, so forgive me for being obnoxious here, but how do moderoids rank vis a vis a bandai mastergrade? My guess is that they'll look worse unpainted and might need some sanding and such, but is there anything else? Like, is the plastic quality noticeably worse?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
B-9 rules

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Isn't there a completed design for Quon's mecha that didn't get used for the show? loving make that, I'd buy six.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Also, I've been told that the latest and final Eva work ends the "who should Shinji get with" debate by having him hook up with an older woman, so I'm afraid Eva is now a Rahxephon rip off.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gripweed posted:

Man, if Bandai released transforming kits that violate the law of conservation of mass, that would be pretty sweet

The kit is still eight flat sheets, but the instructions are a bit more complicated.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
water slides instantly drying out as they touch the zero-pressure void between angles

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gripweed posted:

I've always been curious about those but yeah I've always kinda assumed they wouldn't go together as well as they do on the packaging

I kind of dig them myself but you need to buy two kits because you will snap some part in two.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I mostly dig these but that minigun on the back of the Gundam has got to go.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
They don't look like Bayformers they look like Armored Cores sans the wide hips.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tin Tim posted:

With 30MM you can just put a shotgun barrel on your minigun assembly :v:

They had this poo poo in Getter Robo.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Yo, nice!

I wonder what sets I'd need to get to make those upgrades.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm plan to get back into modeling, and I'm hoping to get into painting. Is there a good list of what brands to buy from / how colors will look after painted on / what colors will look good together?

I'm certain I've seen this information before, but now that I actually need it I don't have any clue where to find it.

Also, because I'm smart and I respect my limitations I'm planning on using a glossy black. What kind of hell am I getting into?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Marx Headroom posted:

You planning to airbrush or hand paint? Do you have any examples of paint jobs that inspire you?

Hand paint, and basically no :lol:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

as for how they'll look painted there should be some YouTube's with each paint line showing how they'll look over primed models. pick whichever color range you like

as for what goes well together that's a very large question but the cheat code is use sports teams colorways. let some other nerd do all the color theory work for you. there are color picker apps that also let you pick a primary color and it'll give you variations on schemes from there

Designing a color scheme from scratch isn't really what I'm worried about. I've ordered the Moderoid Viola Katze, and I from what I've seen a lot of its parts of unpainted and its base black is kind of mid. I'm mostly aiming to have it more closely resemble how it looked in show.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

pretty much all the major lines will tell you they got ya covered, but does that model not come with a paint guide on what they used?

It probably does, but I'm going to want to give it a few tweaks. At the least, a glossier black. Maybe play with a metallic color on some highlights just to see how they work.

Warmachine posted:

Get some plastic spoons and practice on those. Lighting (edit: and PRIMER COLOR, watch some videos on the pros/cons of using black vs gray vs white vs pink vs brown primers) is going to have a big effect on how things look, and if you get really into the weeds, colors on your computer screen won't necessarily match the color in real life, let alone whatever is on the bottle.

[...]

I'm working with Army Painter's new Fanatic line, which I'm finding to work well for my Millennium Falcon, but the brand is pretty interchangeable at your level. You're not going to be debating how bad the pigment density of Corax White is on forums anytime soon. But I'd stick with water based acrylic for now, as those are the easiest to work with. Army Painter, Vallejo, Reaper, AK, and Citadel all do those just fine (but Citadel will have you mortgaging your home because Games Workshop wants your money).

Kick rear end, thanks.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 17, 2024

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

pretty much all the major lines will tell you they got ya covered, but does that model not come with a paint guide on what they used?

Update: no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I finished my Baskyrotto :peanut:. I like to think of this one as a slow-plodding artillery/mobile SAM platform. Like every now and then you'd just see it stop, turn, let off a missile or cannon round as artillery, and someone's day elsewhere just got much worse. And delightfully Songbird-esque to boot. :allears:

Nice! Really dig those metalics!